Reputation rules, what are they pls?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Submarine
x3tc

Reputation rules, what are they pls?

Post by Submarine » Tue, 8. Jun 21, 20:33

Can anyone help point me at a reputation rules summery or explain them. I looked in game in the encyclopedia, in the wiki and with google and found nothing to explain.

The reason why I need to know is I am in a situation in FRF Free Split Families territory. I found a nice spot to meet incoming Xenon by a fab and make rep, got to about +5 swiftly and then sent in a trader to sell and buy just for role play etc.

Nearby there was a "FRF Marauder Rattlesnake" and it turned red and -24 when it challenged my transporter to drop cargo, which it was advancing on. I didnt wait for it to fire as I have just seen it wreck a ZYA Split Boa pretty quickly so I disabled it and found I am now -3 with FRF and lost 8 points for attacking a ship which was threatening one of mine. No fair!

I didnt expect this because I have capped a bunch of SCA Marauders in Heretics End and other sectors without any SCA rep loss. So I need to know what the rules are.

It looks like I am losing rep because the marauder is in home territory, is that true? Would it help to scan it? Would that reveal it as a marauder or would I lose rep for that and FRF not care. There does not appear to be a police licence for FRF. Am I always going to get a rep hit with capping this one?

I can reload test etc but that will take ages would just like to know the logic behind the results.
bloop

Eyeklops
x4

Re: Reputation rules, what are they pls?

Post by Eyeklops » Tue, 8. Jun 21, 20:56

SCA are typically locked to -5 rep by design. Blow them up or board them all-day every-day to your hearts content without worry of rep loss.

Jawms
x4

Post by Jawms » Wed, 9. Jun 21, 05:03

Similarly with FAF, even though they behave as pirates hurting them inside of FRF space will have negative consequences. Even if you are at -30 with FAF, defending yourself in FRF space will incur rep loss. Same goes for defending yourself against a FRF marauder. It incurs rep loss.

Doesn't make a ton of sense.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 9. Jun 21, 08:45

FAF and SCA ships tend to disguise as some other faction. Scanning them reveals their true faction. Shooting them does the same, although initial hits might be attributed for the fake faction. They also drop disguise when they demand cargo&prepare to attack.

FAF and FRF are not hostile to each other. Attacking near (within 40km?) station will make the station report incident. If you attack friendlies, then it is bad. If you attack foes, then you get reward. It is not necessarily alignment of the station, but of the authorities that determines the result.

If I attack SCA near TEL station, then the station reports "hostile attack", but MIN cops ignore the report. MIN is not friendly with SCA.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Submarine
x3tc

Post by Submarine » Wed, 9. Jun 21, 12:20

jlehtone wrote:
Wed, 9. Jun 21, 08:45
FAF and SCA ships tend to disguise as some other faction. Scanning them reveals their true faction. Shooting them does the same, although initial hits might be attributed for the fake faction. They also drop disguise when they demand cargo&prepare to attack.

FAF and FRF are not hostile to each other. Attacking near (within 40km?) station will make the station report incident. If you attack friendlies, then it is bad. If you attack foes, then you get reward. It is not necessarily alignment of the station, but of the authorities that determines the result.

If I attack SCA near TEL station, then the station reports "hostile attack", but MIN cops ignore the report. MIN is not friendly with SCA.
Thanks for this. I hope other noobs find it useful as well.

The logic of the reputation system is hard to fathom in game, since there is nothing to explain it and its hard to see wood for trees.

If only we could all just... get along!
bloop

rudi_pioneer
x4

Post by rudi_pioneer » Wed, 9. Jun 21, 19:11

jlehtone wrote:
Wed, 9. Jun 21, 08:45

This is one of my favorite dialogue:
“This is sector security, comm channel open” (min station)
“I’d like to report attack against this station” (tel whining about me fighting sca”
“Negative” (min reply)

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Wed, 9. Jun 21, 19:38

Marauders are the games mafia, or as I see them, they are poor and hard done by . So need your help.
By letting them take what they want, you are not only helping them, but you feel good in doing so !
You will get no rep loss, you will sleep better at night knowing you're a charitable chap.
Keep feeding them, and then go about your day whistling a joyous tune.

P,S,
It’s the game trying to get you fighting, so as to stuff you over !
Don't get lured in.

:)

Submarine
x3tc

Post by Submarine » Wed, 9. Jun 21, 21:39

Nort The Fragrent wrote:
Wed, 9. Jun 21, 19:38
Marauders are the games mafia, or as I see them, they are poor and hard done by . So need your help.
By letting them take what they want, you are not only helping them, but you feel good in doing so !
You will get no rep loss, you will sleep better at night knowing you're a charitable chap.
Keep feeding them, and then go about your day whistling a joyous tune.

P,S,
It’s the game trying to get you fighting, so as to stuff you over !
Don't get lured in.

:)
That is a commendably dharmacentric kind of philosophy and actually I decided not to nick his ride because of my own shamefully base motivation and the fact he is clearly a rep trap and will not venture further than 30km from the station he is stalking. Though I have put a tail on him and if he sets foot out of FRF space I may just swoop in and nab him with my justice league of repurposed raiders.

He does not appear to be poor as he keeps leaving piles of hull parts from his kills lying around, this is what the factory makes and I did pick those up, waste not want not! Potentially quite lucrative, more so than say dropped energy cells anyway.

I experimented with raising FRF rep to 15 and he stopped challenging my freighters so I guess we are friends now, kind of. There will be other rattlers, I feel sure the FAF will oblige.
bloop

Return to “X4: Foundations”