For egosoft to consider - amd FSR (fsr is out now for developers)

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

metalvenom
x4

Re: For egosoft to consider - amd FSR

Post by metalvenom » Tue, 22. Jun 21, 18:22

anything that gives FPS boost is a plus regardless where it came from :P +1

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Wed, 23. Jun 21, 00:49

https://gpuopen.com/fidelityfx-superresolution/

More info.
Super Resolution

Major framerate boosts combined with high-quality, high-resolution graphics!
Four different quality modes proposed: Ultra Quality, Quality, Balanced, and Performance.
Cross-platform

FSR is not limited to the latest GPU architectures only! It runs on a large variety of GPUs.
Wide API support for DirectX®12, Vulkan®, and DirectX®11!
Once released, FSR can be ported onto multiple platforms without restriction.
Open source

FSR 1.0 will be provided on GitHub via GPUOpen under the MIT license in mid July.
Easy to integrate

The same great experience that you expect from AMD FidelityFX, with a low barrier of entry.
Full shader source code provided for a smooth and flexible integration.
Fixed and arbitrary scaling supported.
Highly optimized

FSR is hand-optimized for fast performance across a wide variety of GPUs1.
Works on most gpus from amd nvidia and intel, and on laptops and apus that have onboard gfx.
Easy to implement

No real reason not to use it. :)

Reviews:

https://youtu.be/KCzjQ4qP124
https://youtu.be/_JR8MsJcTBU
https://youtu.be/9ZBfG3IDTD0
https://youtu.be/yFZAo6xItOI
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Wed, 23. Jun 21, 03:20

Skeeter wrote:
Wed, 23. Jun 21, 00:49
https://gpuopen.com/fidelityfx-superresolution/

More info.
Super Resolution

Major framerate boosts combined with high-quality, high-resolution graphics!
Four different quality modes proposed: Ultra Quality, Quality, Balanced, and Performance.
Cross-platform

FSR is not limited to the latest GPU architectures only! It runs on a large variety of GPUs.
Wide API support for DirectX®12, Vulkan®, and DirectX®11!
Once released, FSR can be ported onto multiple platforms without restriction.
Open source

FSR 1.0 will be provided on GitHub via GPUOpen under the MIT license in mid July.
Easy to integrate

The same great experience that you expect from AMD FidelityFX, with a low barrier of entry.
Full shader source code provided for a smooth and flexible integration.
Fixed and arbitrary scaling supported.
Highly optimized

FSR is hand-optimized for fast performance across a wide variety of GPUs1.
Works on most gpus from amd nvidia and intel, and on laptops and apus that have onboard gfx.
Easy to implement

No real reason not to use it. :)

Reviews:

https://youtu.be/KCzjQ4qP124
https://youtu.be/_JR8MsJcTBU
https://youtu.be/9ZBfG3IDTD0
https://youtu.be/yFZAo6xItOI
If it wasn't a process that started the calculation very early in the pipeline, I wouldn't be surprised if someone could to add it into reshade like they did with RIS.
Again someone might try to do it, might not be perfect but could work.

MPX10L
x4

Post by MPX10L » Mon, 28. Jun 21, 17:38

As far as I know (just from following the news a little bit) FSR runs after the geometry is rendered and after anti-aliasing is applied but before the UI is rendered.
I also remember reading or hearing that AMD recommends using 4xTAA for the best results.
Plus it requires that game world and UI can be rendered at different resolutions.

So to me it looks like FSR is NOT easy to implement in X4 because:
- TAA is harder to implement than other AA solutions and often requires additional game data. You can't simply swap FXAA with TAA. It requires additional changes to the engine.
- It looks like seperate render resolutions for UI and game aren't easy to implement either in X4, because I think we would already have it otherwise as the UI looks terrible at low resolutions and even becomes buggy to the point of being unusable (overlapping elements etc). A render-scale option in the graphics settings would have been a welcome fix for that. I think one of the reasons it might be hard to implement is that the map is a big part of the UI and it contains a lot of 3D objects. What resolution should they be rendered at? (I would advocate for an option to make them 2D because performance on the map is atrocious anyway.)

I have a laptop from 2015 that has a Core i5-5500u and a Geforce 840m. That is basically the GPU performance of modern APUs. I played X4 on it for some time and it is kinda possible. The main problem is that I cannot reduce the resolution any further because the menus become a pain to use. A renderscale slider would make it playable. Maybe not in big battles or where it gets CPU limited but you don't have to play that way. There is still enough to do in the X-universe.

I think they should try to implement FSR or at least a render scale option. It would open up the game for many more players.
But I think it is unlikely because it is probably quite a lot of work.
But I am not a programmer. So maybe all of what I said is wrong. Please correct me if that is the case. These were just the thoughts I had when thinking about low spec gaming. :)

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Mon, 28. Jun 21, 19:06

adrianstroschke wrote:
Mon, 28. Jun 21, 17:38
As far as I know (just from following the news a little bit) FSR runs after the geometry is rendered and after anti-aliasing is applied but before the UI is rendered.
I also remember reading or hearing that AMD recommends using 4xTAA for the best results.
Plus it requires that game world and UI can be rendered at different resolutions.

So to me it looks like FSR is NOT easy to implement in X4 because:
- TAA is harder to implement than other AA solutions and often requires additional game data. You can't simply swap FXAA with TAA. It requires additional changes to the engine.
- It looks like seperate render resolutions for UI and game aren't easy to implement either in X4, because I think we would already have it otherwise as the UI looks terrible at low resolutions and even becomes buggy to the point of being unusable (overlapping elements etc). A render-scale option in the graphics settings would have been a welcome fix for that. I think one of the reasons it might be hard to implement is that the map is a big part of the UI and it contains a lot of 3D objects. What resolution should they be rendered at? (I would advocate for an option to make them 2D because performance on the map is atrocious anyway.)

I have a laptop from 2015 that has a Core i5-5500u and a Geforce 840m. That is basically the GPU performance of modern APUs. I played X4 on it for some time and it is kinda possible. The main problem is that I cannot reduce the resolution any further because the menus become a pain to use. A renderscale slider would make it playable. Maybe not in big battles or where it gets CPU limited but you don't have to play that way. There is still enough to do in the X-universe.

I think they should try to implement FSR or at least a render scale option. It would open up the game for many more players.
But I think it is unlikely because it is probably quite a lot of work.
But I am not a programmer. So maybe all of what I said is wrong. Please correct me if that is the case. These were just the thoughts I had when thinking about low spec gaming. :)
AMD will have the source code out in public at GPUOpen by Mid July
Testimonies from companies used it say it takes few hours to 2 days to retrofit it in their games and nowhere says about TAA.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Mon, 28. Jun 21, 19:28

adrianstroschke wrote:
Mon, 28. Jun 21, 17:38
I also remember reading or hearing that AMD recommends using 4xTAA for the best results. wrong it doesnt need taa to be used
Plus it requires that game world and UI can be rendered at different resolutions. also wrong

Also you do know x4 can scale the ui in the options screen yes? So if playing 4k u can make it bigger or if low res u can shrink it.
[ external image ]

MPX10L
x4

Post by MPX10L » Mon, 28. Jun 21, 22:29

I didn't say it needs TAA, I said I heard that it is recommended. If I find the time I'll try to find where I heard or read it. I don't remember if it was from official sources or not.

I know I can scale the X4 ui. I didn't say that I can't find a way to make it readable, I said it becomes unusable. My laptop has a 1080p screen and can display pretty small and sharp text. But on 720p the text has to be way bigger in order to be readable. The UI becomes less usable as a result of that and when I tried it (quite some time ago) it resulted in overlapping menus that made it impossible to push some buttons. I don't know if they fixed it by improving the menu layout but back then it made some functions simple impossible to use.
Different resolutions for UI and game world would be the best solution in my opinion. Simply bigger text is not a good solution.
FSR would be awesome.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Tue, 29. Jun 21, 02:00

No, taa is not needed nor recommended in any sense for FSR, im not sure where you read that but its false. Read the gpuopen link i provided to know why and how it all works.

I dont even think any of the games out that use FSR even has taa options anyhow.
[ external image ]

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Fri, 2. Jul 21, 17:33

Someone hacked the native GTA5(DX11) upscaler, used shaders from other game, and replaced it with FSR.
He run a comparison video and the game looks better than the standard upscaler (don't confuse with Native res).
And this a hacked job, from another game using FSR code, with 3rd game hacked shaders and more time took him to bug fix than actually implement it

Consider what could happen after July 15th when the proper source code hits OPENGPU github.
The blurry image is form the GTA5 native upscaler, the shaper from the hacked FSR one (mouse over picture)

https://screenshotcomparison.com/compar ... /picture:0

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/o ... _to_grand/

Skeeter
x3

Re: For egosoft to consider - amd FSR (fsr is out now for developers)

Post by Skeeter » Thu, 15. Jul 21, 17:22

[ external image ]

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Wed, 28. Jul 21, 17:06

Seems like your wishes were heard :D
[Beta 5] Added new upscaling setting with AMD FSR support (work in progress, improvements and fix for missing outlines to come).

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Wed, 28. Jul 21, 17:16

Tamina wrote:
Wed, 28. Jul 21, 17:06
Seems like your wishes were heard :D
[Beta 5] Added new upscaling setting with AMD FSR support (work in progress, improvements and fix for missing outlines to come).
Awesome!! Would love to hear about devs early experiments with it, is it a magic 'more fps' button?

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Wed, 28. Jul 21, 18:18

The key to good fsr is the sharpness thats used in it, some games use too much and ruins the image on some things. Most people ive talked to wish there was a slider for how much sharpness fsr applies in gfx options. If this was possible to adjust fsr cas sharpness filter with a slider with numerical values we can fine tweak it so it doesnt go overboard.

AA needs to be good and used when using fsr as i read in the docs. Most ppl want to use a form of taa in using along with fsr like the form used by unreal 5s version. To get the best out of it. Which eho can work in later when they have more dev time tho i did hear i think they were thinking of doing taa in the future.

I mainly pop in this thread to hear about fsr, so its a long thread but if ego wants to see feedback of fsr being used and what ppl like and dont then theres this thread i guess u can read on a coffee break lol.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/t ... .18923620/

Thx tho to ego for implementing it. :)

See nagging works. :lol:
[ external image ]

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Wed, 28. Jul 21, 18:25

So I just tested it on a 2080 in different scenarios. It comes with 4 different quality settings. The Balanced and Performance setting look both atrocious. Ultra and Quality look pretty good, I can't see the difference compared to native resolution.

My FPS have increased by a solid 25% in the tutorial gamestart, with ULTRA FSR. So this works surprisingly well.
In my actual savegame my FPS have not changed with any of this. Even when using the horrible super low resolution performance mode.. nothing. Like as if the FPS were glued to my screen, and I checked for that and can confidently say that no letters were super-glued to my screen.

Maybe my setup is just CPU bound?

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Wed, 28. Jul 21, 18:37

Yea most would use ultra only for a nice jump but look near native at 1440p or 4k is better. Performance is for old cards stuggling to play past 30fps tho image quality isnt as good it shouldnt be terrible. Depends at what res you play, the higher the res the less the image degrades. 1080p using performance isnt a great way. But thats why theres choices. Its not quite as good as nvidias dlss at low resolutions but at 1440p or 4k and using ultra mode its not far off the latest version of dlss for quality and fps boost.

If you dont get any fps boost then its not the gpu its defo cpu id imagine. Especially if you see no fps gains using performance mode.

My hope is that it helps when im walking on stations using ultra at 1440p or if im maybe in a big fight as it should help vs all the ships on the screen.
[ external image ]

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 28. Jul 21, 18:55

Tamina wrote:
Wed, 28. Jul 21, 18:25
Almost certainly, and that's pretty standard with this game when played on reasonably high-end graphics hardware. The option is mainly there to improve performance on lower-end hardware.

Mr.Freud
x4

Post by Mr.Freud » Wed, 28. Jul 21, 19:13

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 28. Jul 21, 18:55
Tamina wrote:
Almost certainly, and that's pretty standard with this game when played on reasonably high-end graphics hardware. The option is mainly there to improve performance on lower-end hardware.
Please consider adding TAA and DLSS too. Aliasing is still very bad with FSR at max and MSAA at 4x. Even TAA + FSR should provide much better quality, let alone DLSS.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 28. Jul 21, 19:20

They are already on our list to look into and have been for some time. People really don't need to keep asking us to consider these things. :roll:

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Wed, 28. Jul 21, 20:03

Mr.Freud wrote:
Wed, 28. Jul 21, 19:13
CBJ wrote:
Wed, 28. Jul 21, 18:55
Tamina wrote:
Please consider adding TAA and DLSS too. Aliasing is still very bad with FSR at max and MSAA at 4x. Even TAA + FSR should provide much better quality, let alone DLSS.
You have FSR there is no point using DLSS now as it supports almost all AMD and NVIDIA GPUs came out the last 6 years!

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Wed, 28. Jul 21, 20:04

Tamina wrote:
So I just tested it on a 2080 in different scenarios. It comes with 4 different quality settings. The Balanced and Performance setting look both atrocious. Ultra and Quality look pretty good, I can't see the difference compared to native resolution.

My FPS have increased by a solid 25% in the tutorial gamestart, with ULTRA FSR. So this works surprisingly well.
In my actual savegame my FPS have not changed with any of this. Even when using the horrible super low resolution performance mode.. nothing. Like as if the FPS were glued to my screen, and I checked for that and can confidently say that no letters were super-glued to my screen.

What is your CPU and RAM speed and CAS please?
Even tighter subtimings improve the perfornace in X4.

Return to “X4: Foundations”