Re-skin the Paranid capitals ?.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

So.. would you like to see a future remodel of the 4 Paranid ships

Poll ended at Sun, 6. Jun 21, 21:00

Yes i'd love a re-skin on the 4 ships, can't stand the current.
63%
No. I'd rather have development focused elsewhere.
31%
I don't care because i never use them personally anyway so i don't have to look at them.
7%

Total votes: 59

jlehtone
x4

Re: Re-skin the Paranid capitals ?.

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 2. Jun 21, 23:00

KextV8 wrote:
Wed, 2. Jun 21, 20:32
Pfft. There's no point in being functional if you can't look cool doing it.
If we find a cute&cool ship that is completely dysfunctional, then we can give it to you.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Submarine
x3tc

Post by Submarine » Thu, 3. Jun 21, 00:14

mr.WHO wrote:
Wed, 2. Jun 21, 15:31
I don't know why people hate X4 Paranid ships so much - they are consistent with past games designs and somewhat functional...

...unlike Shroom Teladi ships that are ugly and non functional (e.g. hull blocking turret coverage).
:o

I like the 'shrooms. They make sense in a apace environment with dorsal ventral port starboard symmetry, that front shield facing the enemy taking punishment also makes sense and they look like they were crafted with some thought.

I agree the Paranid ships are consistent with X2 ! But IMHO they look a bit rushed in the way they are built out of oblate spheroids with no discernable design philosophy. Its not a high priority, I just dont use them except the Nemesis which does look cool and not at all blimpy, which si why they look cool, also the salvageable Perseus which is worth having since its free and looks a bit like the Cylon raiders from BSG TOS.

All the others have some kind of philosophy. Teladi its commercially functional & defensive, Terrans are like city architecture - glass and steel skyscrapers in space reflecting the urbanised homeworld of humanity, Split ships look fast like arrows and are fast, Argon are structurally credible with an hint of engineering in the designs which I like despite the unsurvivably low speeds of their unmodified fighters.

Many larger Paranid ships on the other hand are nondescript blimps. My guess would be it was possibly an attempt to reach the idea of religiously inspired aesthetics of smoothness but it does not really work as they all look like blow moulded plastic bath toys. On the other hand I do quite like the more elegant organic forms of the Paranid station parts and feel that they ought to use that approach for their ships and go for elegant religious aesthetics blended with effective technology look. Not bath toys.

And whats happened to the Borons? Where is my bofu?
bloop

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 3. Jun 21, 00:47

Submarine wrote:
Thu, 3. Jun 21, 00:14
:o

I like the 'shrooms. They make sense in a apace environment with dorsal ventral port starboard symmetry, that front shield facing the enemy taking punishment also makes sense and they look like they were crafted with some thought.

I agree the Paranid ships are consistent with X2 ! But IMHO they look a bit rushed in the way they are built out of oblate spheroids with no discernable design philosophy. Its not a high priority, I just dont use them except the Nemesis which does look cool and not at all blimpy, which si why they look cool, also the salvageable Perseus which is worth having since its free and looks a bit like the Cylon raiders from BSG TOS.

All the others have some kind of philosophy. Teladi its commercially functional & defensive, Terrans are like city architecture - glass and steel skyscrapers in space reflecting the urbanised homeworld of humanity, Split ships look fast like arrows and are fast, Argon are structurally credible with an hint of engineering in the designs which I like despite the unsurvivably low speeds of their unmodified fighters.

Many larger Paranid ships on the other hand are nondescript blimps. My guess would be it was possibly an attempt to reach the idea of religiously inspired aesthetics of smoothness but it does not really work as they all look like blow moulded plastic bath toys. On the other hand I do quite like the more elegant organic forms of the Paranid station parts and feel that they ought to use that approach for their ships and go for elegant religious aesthetics blended with effective technology look. Not bath toys.

And whats happened to the Borons? Where is my bofu?
I hate the Teladi mushroom ships, I like the Paranid designs. You feel the opposite. It is all subjective.

sh1pman
x4

Post by sh1pman » Thu, 3. Jun 21, 01:20

I don’t like their designs, Oddy especially. I think it’s because of a dissonance between their smooth, sleek and featureless metal hull and huge, intrusive surface elements sticking out everywhere, like L turrets and M landing pad on an Oddy. It looks weird. Maybe that’s why I liked PAR designs in X3 much more. Hairdryer design… not sure, maybe it’d look fine without oversized surface elements everywhere.

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Thu, 3. Jun 21, 02:01

jlehtone wrote:
Wed, 2. Jun 21, 23:00
If we find a cute&cool ship that is completely dysfunctional, then we can give it to you.
:D I'll happily add anything that looks cool to my armada even if it flies about as good as a brick.

x4

Post by 13913408324 » Thu, 3. Jun 21, 02:42

sh1pman wrote:
Thu, 3. Jun 21, 01:20
I don’t like their designs, Oddy especially. I think it’s because of a dissonance between their smooth, sleek and featureless metal hull and huge, intrusive surface elements sticking out everywhere, like L turrets and M landing pad on an Oddy. It looks weird. Maybe that’s why I liked PAR designs in X3 much more. Hairdryer design… not sure, maybe it’d look fine without oversized surface elements everywhere.
Agree!!!

Submarine
x3tc

Post by Submarine » Thu, 3. Jun 21, 10:00

Falcrack wrote:
Thu, 3. Jun 21, 00:47
Submarine wrote:
Thu, 3. Jun 21, 00:14
Where is my bofu?
I hate the Teladi mushroom ships, I like the Paranid designs. You feel the opposite. It is all subjective.
Can't argue with that!

Well you could but it would be a fools errand. :P

Its all part of the rich tapestry etc... :D
bloop

Sanshy
x4

Post by Sanshy » Thu, 3. Jun 21, 16:20

I think it’s very clear a vast majority of the players are not happy with the paranid design... no need to argue here.

I think not only a redesign would be really appreciated, also adding some L and XL ships variety to pre DLC races should be in the table.
Terran get the Asgard ... give something equivalent to the others. Maybe not like it ... I am fine with a smaller ship that cost half but you can use 2 to confer the Asgard. Not everything must be balanced but at least something must exist.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Thu, 3. Jun 21, 16:36

sh1pman wrote:
Thu, 3. Jun 21, 01:20
The M landing pad is fine. But I agree on the L turrets.
Instead I think a better avenue would be redesigning the turrets instead, currently most of them look the exact same.

Also I find it funny no one comments on how out of place other faction L turrets look on the Rattlesnake. I've taken to loading them with SPL L turrets instead because the design is clearly designed with those in mind.

Pares
x4

Post by Pares » Thu, 3. Jun 21, 23:35

The Odysseus has very poorly integrated modules, rectangular cutouts for turrets and the dock doesn't fit it's overall sleek curvy design, it is also too narrow which makes it look fat because of the dock. Also that huge L turret sticking out of the nose is ugly as hell too.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Thu, 3. Jun 21, 23:39

KextV8 wrote:
Sun, 30. May 21, 21:05
Personally, I don't use Paranid ships because they are all hideous except for the Gorgon and the Nemesis. Those two are great.
The Perseus looks like the Bat Wing, most aesthetic fighter of the bunch. :D
Sanshy wrote:
Thu, 3. Jun 21, 16:20
I think it’s very clear a vast majority of the players are not happy with the paranid design... no need to argue here.

I think not only a redesign would be really appreciated, also adding some L and XL ships variety to pre DLC races should be in the table.
Terran get the Asgard ... give something equivalent to the others. Maybe not like it ... I am fine with a smaller ship that cost half but you can use 2 to confer the Asgard. Not everything must be balanced but at least something must exist.
A Xenon Version of the Asgard's Main Cannon? Then you're talking! With it's own Fighter Carrier like in previous X's. :D
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

x4

Post by 13913408324 » Thu, 3. Jun 21, 23:43

Pares wrote:
Thu, 3. Jun 21, 23:35
The Odysseus has very poorly integrated modules, rectangular cutouts for turrets and the dock doesn't fit it's overall sleek curvy design, it is also too narrow which makes it look fat because of the dock. Also that huge L turret sticking out of the nose is ugly as hell too.
:D agree!

Jawms
x4

Post by Jawms » Sat, 5. Jun 21, 00:51

They look like a modified X3 model used as a placeholder. When I first saw them at release I was convinced they forgot to update the model..

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Sat, 5. Jun 21, 02:32

Every time I see the old Boot Ship, I cringe. Ain’t she an ugly bitch.

Then Laugh, as it looks so stupid, and a joke.

The Odysseus looks like a pregnant penguin, with no tail, clipped wings. And a cancerous growth underneath.
The Chthonios gas, looks like a shark has taken two bits out of it, and is bloated.
Helios, almost passable, yet dull.
Selene, just works for looks but again is bland.
Zeus, Too short, Too wide, Bland and Dull.
Atlas, Neat, Nice, but a little bland.
Heracles, Well ! That is such a popular ship ! All races have that very same design. ! ! ! Cheep, cop out ES.

Gorgon, Is Gorgeous.
Nemesis, Mean looking, ok.
Plutus, Ok, but not right !
Demeter, needs work !
Hermes, same as Demeter !
Pegasus, so out of proportion, stupid nose,
Perseus, ?
Theseus, is a Pegasus, with Paravanes attached !
Tethys, ? Is it a Biscuit ?

This range of ships needs some real love, like putting into a chrysalis, allowing to ferment. Then may be some Butterflies might emerge.

You can do better ES.

sh1pman
x4

Post by sh1pman » Sun, 6. Jun 21, 02:14

Nort The Fragrent wrote:
Sat, 5. Jun 21, 02:32
lol, loved your comparisons! so true. Paranid S fighters look dumb as well. Like mosquito-hummingbird hybrids. Of all S fighters, only Split ones look consistently good. Don’t like the new Terran nonsense, bring me my X3 Terran fighter designs back!

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Sun, 6. Jun 21, 10:55

Well I was just stood on the docking area at the back of one of my Zeus carriers. Enjoying the view of the defending ships docked there.

I was just thinking that this is about as good as it gets. I don't care what anybody else thinks. I like the ships in the game.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 6. Jun 21, 11:23

Nort The Fragrent wrote:
Every time I see the old Boot Ship, I cringe. Ain’t she an ugly bitch.

If you can distract your foe and make them underestimate your Power, then you are one step closer to victory.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Sun, 6. Jun 21, 14:04

sh1pman wrote:
Sun, 6. Jun 21, 02:14
Nort The Fragrent wrote:
lol, loved your comparisons! so true. Paranid S fighters look dumb as well. Like mosquito-hummingbird hybrids. Of all S fighters, only Split ones look consistently good. Don’t like the new Terran nonsense, bring me my X3 Terran fighter designs back!
X3 Terran fighters were trash though. Like little bugs.
ATF ones were okay.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 6. Jun 21, 14:15

Raptor34 wrote:
Sun, 6. Jun 21, 14:04
sh1pman wrote:
Nort The Fragrent wrote:
Wa-waat? Machete was awesome both in design and combat power. I also liked the other UCS fighters - especially the Rapier. It looked like a rocket with all those engines :) ATF design was okay for being made by the modding community - but it isn't consistent and does have flaws. I like Linos new take in X4 waaay better.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Sun, 6. Jun 21, 14:23

chew-ie wrote:
Sun, 6. Jun 21, 14:15
Raptor34 wrote:
Sun, 6. Jun 21, 14:04
sh1pman wrote:

Wa-waat? Machete was awesome both in design and combat power. I also liked the other UCS fighters - especially the Rapier. It looked like a rocket with all those engines :) ATF design was okay for being made by the modding community - but it isn't consistent and does have flaws. I like Linos new take in X4 waaay better.
That's why I don't like it. And Machete? I don't remember that. Translation or mod?
And by the community? I thought they were just evolutions of the fighters in X3R.

Return to “X4: Foundations”