Re-skin the Paranid capitals ?.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

So.. would you like to see a future remodel of the 4 Paranid ships

Poll ended at Sun, 6. Jun 21, 21:00

Yes i'd love a re-skin on the 4 ships, can't stand the current.
63%
No. I'd rather have development focused elsewhere.
31%
I don't care because i never use them personally anyway so i don't have to look at them.
7%

Total votes: 59

Dreez
x4

Re-skin the Paranid capitals ?.

Post by Dreez » Sun, 30. May 21, 21:00

We all know it... they're uglier than a mutated pufferfish, they're called the flying hairdryer.

But they are also incredibly powerful with enough firepower to make a Rattlesnake think twice before bullfighting them,
which makes it all the weirder that no one (to my knowledge) uses them for personal ships or even in fleets due to simply how they look.
When taking a close look at all 4 ships, be-it spacesuit or fighter flyby, the outer hull of all 4 PAR capitals simply has almost no detailing
and the plating textures makes them look even (if possible) uglier upon closer inspection of the ships.

Me personally has never and will never use these ships because they do what ships shouldn't do, do make me NOT want them.
Even the TEL capitalships has some details to them, lots of details to be honest, they're just disliked because of bad turret placement.

So.. would you like to see a future remodel of the 4 Paranid ships, giving them the same amount of detailing as the capitalships from the other races ?.
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Panos
x4

Re: Re-skin the Paranid capitals ?.

Post by Panos » Sun, 30. May 21, 21:02

Dreez wrote:
Sun, 30. May 21, 21:00
We all know it... they're uglier than a mutated pufferfish, they're called the flying hairdryer.

But they are also incredibly powerful with enough firepower to make a Rattlesnake think twice before bullfighting them,
which makes it all the weirder that no one (to my knowledge) uses them for personal ships or even in fleets due to simply how they look.
When taking a close look at all 4 ships, be-it spacesuit or fighter flyby, the outer hull of all 4 PAR capitals simply has almost no detailing
and the plating textures makes them look even (if possible) uglier upon closer inspection of the ships.

Me personally has never and will never use these ships because they do what ships shouldn't do, do make me NOT want them.
Even the TEL capitalships has some details to them, lots of details to be honest, they're just disliked because of bad turret placement.

So.. would you like to see a future remodel of the 4 Paranid ships, giving them the same amount of detailing as the capitalships from the other races ?.

I like them as they are. We need Battleships for all factions only, even weaker than the asgard

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Sun, 30. May 21, 21:05

Personally, I don't use Paranid ships because they are all hideous except for the Gorgon and the Nemesis. Those two are great.

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Sun, 30. May 21, 21:08

KextV8 wrote:
Sun, 30. May 21, 21:05
Personally, I don't use Paranid ships because they are all hideous except for the Gorgon and the Nemesis. Those two are great.
Actually after the new Terran Destroyers, only the Teladi mushroom comes close to say is good looking ship. :mrgreen:

Baddieus
x4

Post by Baddieus » Sun, 30. May 21, 21:16

To my eyes, the Paranid capitals appear to be a design idea for what will be a complete ship in the future. Almost like a decision to put them in now &we'll make them right later, but later has not come yet. Also, the PAR caps seem to follow the X3 design, where the other races not so much. I would very much like to see better conforming visual styles for all the ships per race, and for the station docks/interiors as well. However, I also agree that if the overall game needs other things then graphics can be put off till later, just don't forget to come back around and polish everything as I would guess the original idea was to be done.

=Baddieus=

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Sun, 30. May 21, 23:36

Put me in the camp of, I don't use PAR cap ships amymore because they're ugly. The TEL and ARG ships I really like.

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Mon, 31. May 21, 10:33

When people are not using a third of the available capital ships (base game) you know its bad.
Its pretty high on my wish list of things i would like to improve on, when there is time and resources for it.
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

Raevyan
x4

Post by Raevyan » Mon, 31. May 21, 10:43

linolafett wrote:
Mon, 31. May 21, 10:33
When people are not using a third of the available capital ships (base game) you know its bad.
Its pretty high on my wish list of things i would like to improve on, when there is time and resources for it.
Besides the look that is mostly because most ships can’t compete with the ones from the dlc‘s in terms of raw stats and turret coverage. On the other side, the old ones look like they were just put together in a beta state compared to the much more detailed ships that came with the dlc.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 31. May 21, 12:30

linolafett wrote:
IMHO, Paranids are not ugly and their features are ok.

The reason I have less of them is simple: I don't buy or build destroyers. The easy factions - SCA and TER - don't have Oddy's. (Although, I don't use TER destroyers. They are a mere by-product of boarding fun.)
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Mon, 31. May 21, 13:24

linolafett wrote:
I'd love to see the original DLC ships revisited, mostly because of stats... the new ships each seem to get better and better, leaving the original factions behind in terms of usefulness. I look forward to the day when you have time and resources for it! Also, bring the TEL destroyers up to match the newer destroyers... well really, all the original ones stat wise.

Ormac
x4

Post by Ormac » Mon, 31. May 21, 14:52

Well I've used Oddy's just about exclusively Sentinel varient prefered.
Don't take the helm too often cause they take a while to move due to the mass of the capital ships

Find the airlock of the Chthonis a bit odd how it raises a hull panel.

Although The Oddy basically an X3 Shape with less detail I don't mind the ships.

Drumma

Post by Drumma » Mon, 31. May 21, 15:01

I'm all for redesigning the Paranid cap ships; the design is what I dislike. The ray gun/hair dryer look turns me off (completely). Smooth ship surfaces are OK imho, but the form is what's so bad with these ships.

With a couple dozen years in 3D designs, I can't see reworking space ships is a huge task. It could be achieved w/o impacting current dev workloads by subcontracting the work or have a design contest. just a thought
Last edited by Drumma on Mon, 31. May 21, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Mon, 31. May 21, 15:10

Let the re-designing begin :)

The only PAR ships I fly are the Atlas and the Zeus as they are as sleek as PAR ships used to be. Also, the PAR designs for fighters in X³ was far superior then what we have now. That's also part of the reason I don't like the style of the (not the borg part) re-introduced Yaki although I loved the Yaki Susanowa / the faction itself :(

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Mon, 31. May 21, 15:42

I never got why people complained about the Oddy but are fine with the Zeus.
The Oddy is chunky, the handle fits it.
The Zeus is like sticking 2 plates together with a thin stick.
Although tbh I've never liked most of the X3 Paranid caps anyway, the Agamemnon is okay I guess. The X4 Oddy is the first one I can tolerate and perhaps even grow to love.

Jeraal
x4

Post by Jeraal » Mon, 31. May 21, 16:54

Functionality of the Odysseus is nice. The aesthetics leave a LOT to be desired. Not a fan of the large Paranid ships in general. Never buy them and sell the ones I cap for scrap to other races.
Brute force and ignorance solves all problems, just not very efficiently.

If brute force isn't working, then you aren't using enough.

Fishille
x4

Post by Fishille » Tue, 1. Jun 21, 22:19

I sadly agree with the sentiment here, my other pet-peeve is M class ships with a dock, like why even bother, who even wants to park a single fighter on top of a M class so ugly and fat just so I can land on it.
However this topic has inspired me to relook at the Oddy and see if I can give it some love. Maybe build a fleet, fly into Xenon space and take some screen shots. Will that break my monitor?

Submarine
x3tc

Post by Submarine » Tue, 1. Jun 21, 23:22

Not just the capitals, all ships of that Flash Gordon blimp style including the M miners and L freighters and miners might benefit from a refresh.

Demeter and Hermes look relatively credible by comparison and bear comparison with the Mercury and Ides. Makes you wonder what was in the fruit punch at the last Paranid ship design convention. I dont think the Pontifex would approve!
bloop

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 2. Jun 21, 15:31

I don't know why people hate X4 Paranid ships so much - they are consistent with past games designs and somewhat functional...

...unlike Shroom Teladi ships that are ugly and non functional (e.g. hull blocking turret coverage).

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Wed, 2. Jun 21, 16:35

Submarine wrote:
Tue, 1. Jun 21, 23:22
Not just the capitals, all ships of that Flash Gordon blimp style including the M miners and L freighters and miners might benefit from a refresh.

Demeter and Hermes look relatively credible by comparison and bear comparison with the Mercury and Ides. Makes you wonder what was in the fruit punch at the last Paranid ship design convention. I dont think the Pontifex would approve!
I love the M miners though.
And I don't see what this credible and bear comparison thing even means.

capitalduty

Post by capitalduty » Wed, 2. Jun 21, 17:56

l really dislike the Oddy, Its not all about the shape, for me its how poorly blended are modules and landing pad with overall ship hull.

I think that a new design could be inspired by the incredible X3 Deimos M7 and X3 Oddy M2.

Return to “X4: Foundations”