Arena multiplayer mode for X4

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Falcrack
x4

Arena multiplayer mode for X4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 21. May 21, 17:05

Before all the multiplayer haters misunderstand me, I am not asking for an MMO version of X4. That would not work with the current game where a player is allowed to become super powerful and own fleets and stations. But what about a more limited form of multiplayer for folks who just want to have a fleet battle with someone else?

The arena mode would be set in a single sector, so it would not be simulating the entire game economy with 100+ sectors, to cut down on the bandwidth needs. Before entering the combat, players would be given a certain amount of credits to spend on their ships and stations, and could place them in their starting areas. When combat begins, you can fly around and control ships and fleets just like you do now. You could have maybe up to 4 players in a single match (more if technically possible).

This could also possibly be combined with the ventures idea. You could take your fleet which you assembled in your single player game, send it on a venture, and use it to do combat in a single sector with other players' fleets.

grapedog
x4

Re: Arena multiplayer mode for X4

Post by grapedog » Fri, 21. May 21, 17:16

Falcrack wrote:
Fri, 21. May 21, 17:05
Before all the multiplayer haters misunderstand me, I am not asking for an MMO version of X4. That would not work with the current game where a player is allowed to become super powerful and own fleets and stations. But what about a more limited form of multiplayer for folks who just want to have a fleet battle with someone else?

The arena mode would be set in a single sector, so it would not be simulating the entire game economy with 100+ sectors, to cut down on the bandwidth needs. Before entering the combat, players would be given a certain amount of credits to spend on their ships and stations, and could place them in their starting areas. When combat begins, you can fly around and control ships and fleets just like you do now. You could have maybe up to 4 players in a single match (more if technically possible).

This could also possibly be combined with the ventures idea. You could take your fleet which you assembled in your single player game, send it on a venture, and use it to do combat in a single sector with other players' fleets.
Like total war multiplayer maybe?

It's not something I have any interest in, but I think that is probably the closest thing to what your asking for that is similar.

Flippi
x3tc

Post by Flippi » Fri, 21. May 21, 17:22

I kinda like the idea. But I think a Coop mode would be also interesting. Players could help others in particularly difficult fights for example. Or do trades with resources and wares, which might be more rare in other people's games. It could be tied to this venture system too.

Egosoft, however, always planned to go MMO. They still have their X Online Universe website up and running. It may be on halt right now, but in the future, that may change. So no matter what people think about an X MMO, the devs are still looking to go that route.
KI Schiffsnamen/AI Shipnames
ETNO Mod Techdemo/Ressources Release: English / Deutsch

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 21. May 21, 17:40

I've explained quite a few times why "limited" multi-player reduces the scope of what the player can do, but doesn't really do much to reduce the work involved to develop it. You'd still require all the same network functionality, data synchronisation, lobby systems, and so on to be developed. Sure, in this scenario (which is by no means a new suggestion) there's a bit less data flying back and forth, but all the core functionality and communication still has to exist. And worse, you're doing all that work in order to implement something that completely removes everything that makes an X series game what it is - something else Bernd specifically mentioned in the podcast - no economy, no living universe, just a basic combat simulator.

I'm not suggesting that nobody would want to play that, but I am saying that there are plenty of other pure combat games out there, and that it doesn't really "fit" with the core concept of the X series.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Fri, 21. May 21, 18:05

Flippi wrote:
Fri, 21. May 21, 17:22
So no matter what people think about an X MMO, the devs are still looking to go that route.
That is not what they said and for me that would be the end of X. Just saying...

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 21. May 21, 18:17

CBJ wrote:
Fri, 21. May 21, 17:40
I'm not suggesting that nobody would want to play that, but I am saying that there are plenty of other pure combat games out there, and that it doesn't really "fit" with the core concept of the X series.
I am not personally aware of multiplayer space combat simulators where the player can simultaneously fly any ship in the fleet personally while still being able to command and give detailed instructions to each of the ships in the fleet. I think an X4 arena mode would be unique in that regard.

I don't really understand the point how the rest of the X4 game would be diminished somehow by the addition of a separate game mode. I know it would be a lot of work, but I think it would draw many more players into X4 and has the potential to earn back the cost of development, plus a lot more.

The current description of ventures just does not sound exciting to me. Simply sending ships into other players games, but having no direct control over them, is not the type of multiplayer that makes me want to give up even a few simple mods to be able to experience it.

Flippi
x3tc

Post by Flippi » Fri, 21. May 21, 18:24

That is not what they said and for me that would be the end of X. Just saying...
I can only relay what Bernd said years ago. Not sure if it was around X2 times in the making off, or shortly before XR in an interview. But it was quite some time ago. Also, their website is still active to this day: http://online-universe.net/

Now, Egosoft is of course not working directly on it. Because it's quite a huge task to make a multiplayer game on any larger scale. But since Egosoft is still keeping the site above, and with the venture system being introduced in X4, I can only assume that Egosoft wants to get crucial knowledge in network programming, so they can make their X multiplayer game in the future.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 21. May 21, 18:25

Falcrack wrote:
Fri, 21. May 21, 18:17
I am not personally aware of multiplayer space combat simulators where the player can simultaneously fly any ship in the fleet personally while still being able to command and give detailed instructions to each of the ships in the fleet. I think an X4 arena mode would be unique in that regard.
With a whole fleet, you'd be back to large numbers of objects flying around and interacting with one another, removing pretty much all of the supposed "limited" aspect of your suggestion.
Falcrack wrote:
Fri, 21. May 21, 18:17
I don't really understand the point how the rest of the X4 game would be diminished somehow by the addition of a separate game mode. I know it would be a lot of work, but I think it would draw many more players into X4 and has the potential to earn back the cost of development, plus a lot more.
Players who play the game for the economy and universe probably won't be that interested in a combat simulator, while players who want a space combat game aren't going to buy a game that is primarily an economy and universe simulation. Neither group will be happy that limited development resources are being spent on features for the other group's benefit. What you describe is essentially a completely different game aimed at a different audience, and would divide the team's effort accordingly, thereby detracting from both.
Flippi wrote:
Fri, 21. May 21, 18:24
I can only relay what Bernd said years ago. Not sure if it was around X2 times in the making off, or shortly before XR in an interview. But it was quite some time ago. Also, their website is still active to this day: http://online-universe.net/
I take it you didn't listen to the podcast then, yet. ;)

Flippi
x3tc

Post by Flippi » Fri, 21. May 21, 18:27

I take it you didn't listen to the podcast then, yet.
The current one? No, i did not listen to it yet. Didn't have the time for it yet.

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Fri, 21. May 21, 19:58

Like the construction community ! ! May be up load one of your save games.
Then others can Download it, and Technically be flying around in your game.
Be it just a snapshot .

This requires no link timing issues, and has no effect on your’s or there current game!

It is just a way to take a look at how other players have set their game up, Yes you will be able to do what ever you want to the game, as it is now under your control. But has no link to the original players game.

This I would find quite interesting to see how others have set there game up, and where and what they have done.

To have an interactive combat platform I think will require a new X version. Dedicated to the multi player approach. And that is I would think a lot of work !

I use Zwift as a training method to keep fit. It has thousands of people racing or training together on line. But the graphics are very simple. X combat I doubt could cope, even with 4 players linked in. This I do not know enough about band restrictions , but I would guess you will need fibre at least. I have a wireless Rural internet connection, it is limited in it’s speed, and functionality. So multi player is out of the question for me and many others.

Fishille
x4

Post by Fishille » Fri, 21. May 21, 21:09

Should really check out the podcast. I think what they have planned is pretty interesting, and will definitely add content, and interest.

Flippi
x3tc

Post by Flippi » Fri, 21. May 21, 21:21

Should really check out the podcast. I think what they have planned is pretty interesting, and will definitely add content, and interest.
I actually did that, but it creates more questions than it answers.

Egosoft is putting a lot of effort into something, only a small amount of the community will get to enjoy (vanilla players interested in Ventures). It doesn't make sense to put this kind of 'multiplayer' into the game, unless Egosoft wants to either a: monetise it with season passes or whatever. Or b: earn experience for a full Multiplayer.

I mean, I'm not a friend of a possible X MMO in any way. But the podcast didn't exactly help to change my mind about it. Ventures, the way they are planned here, seem to be made so Egosoft devs get experience in that field. But that's just me. Maybe I'm interpreting too much into it.

But the amount of effort Egosoft puts into this, while there's still other things to deal with, do leave a weird taste in my mouth.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 21. May 21, 22:38

CBJ wrote:
Fri, 21. May 21, 18:25
With a whole fleet, you'd be back to large numbers of objects flying around and interacting with one another, removing pretty much all of the supposed "limited" aspect of your suggestion.
You could of course place limits on number of ships allowed in a single engagement to make sure it stayed within the realm of technical feasibility, so I don't see this as a big issue. I have seen quite a few multiplayer games with a rather impressive number of units moving around, so I have a hard time accepting that it would not be technically feasible.
CBJ wrote:
Fri, 21. May 21, 18:25
Players who play the game for the economy and universe probably won't be that interested in a combat simulator, while players who want a space combat game aren't going to buy a game that is primarily an economy and universe simulation. Neither group will be happy that limited development resources are being spent on features for the other group's benefit. What you describe is essentially a completely different game aimed at a different audience, and would divide the team's effort accordingly, thereby detracting from both.
I consider myself interested in both economy and universe simulation, and in combat. It does not have to be an either/or thing. And if the game was kept more or less in its current state, plus some minimal multiplayer mode that allows me to fly alongside other players, I personally would be even happier.

X4 seems to have sold well. It seems to me that the team would not necessarily need to be divided, but that the profits from sales could be put into hiring people that do have the capability to add the necessary networking features.

But you've already made up your mind, and so apparently has Bernd, so thanks for the game we have right now!

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 21. May 21, 23:22

Falcrack wrote:
Fri, 21. May 21, 22:38
You could of course place limits on number of ships allowed in a single engagement to make sure it stayed within the realm of technical feasibility, so I don't see this as a big issue. I have seen quite a few multiplayer games with a rather impressive number of units moving around, so I have a hard time accepting that it would not be technically feasible.
Where did I say it wasn't feasible? I just said that it belied your original statement that it was "limited". But it's a moot point anyway because, as I said before, limiting the number of ships makes very little difference to the amount of working involved in creating a multiplayer mode in the first place.

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Sat, 22. May 21, 00:09

How about a Venture Arena Battle, You sent a well designed combat ship on a venture and these fight each other under AI control on some Server with IS calc.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

NightmareNight91
x4

Post by NightmareNight91 » Sat, 22. May 21, 07:10

I just want the ability to invite 1 ONE uno friend (singular) to my game for some fun. I dont expect the game to be balanced around 2 players or anything...i mean I played skyrim with a friend...anything is possible.

Malchar
x4

Post by Malchar » Sat, 22. May 21, 11:03

Falcrack wrote:
Fri, 21. May 21, 17:05
. But what about a more limited form of multiplayer for folks who just want to have a fleet battle with someone else?
There is plenty other games for MP.
There is plenty of problems to solve on the current game.

Jeraal
x4

Post by Jeraal » Sat, 22. May 21, 13:01

No MP in X games please.
Brute force and ignorance solves all problems, just not very efficiently.

If brute force isn't working, then you aren't using enough.

NightmareNight91
x4

Post by NightmareNight91 » Wed, 26. May 21, 19:18

It could literally be the same as single player and developed as such but with the ability to host a private server, and invite one friend. No extra balancing needed, I would be fully aware that having 2 players in one universe would mean lower performance and would be unbalanced (op). No other multiplayer space game (besides the star citizen tech demo) offers a interesting multiplayer gameplay. X could do it though.

It would just be fun to have a competing friend building up an empire to challenge me. Boarding eachothers ships, blackading sectors and trade lanes and trying to be the top corporation.

Id even pay for a multiplayer mode as a seperate optional DLC.

Malchar
x4

Post by Malchar » Wed, 26. May 21, 20:07

Except for MP cooperative, which a very marginal part, MP is always tons of works for devs.

The reason is simple ; In MP when a guy loose, it is never because he played badly, no. It is most time because the others guys had found a tricky game abuse (DEV !!! Fix it it ruins the game), or because the other guys had unbalanced OP units (DEV please nerf !!! In current version game is unplayable), or the loosing guy was victim of a bug (FIX IT NOW !!!) ect ... ect ...

Return to “X4: Foundations”