A not at all serious suggestion

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

furirkeeper
x4

A not at all serious suggestion

Post by furirkeeper » Mon, 17. May 21, 21:11

I propose a new notification feature where destroyer captains have to ask permission before charging a station. It could use the "press F" popup that is used for other things. I imagine it would be something like this:
-"Requestion permission to charge, sir"
-"No you may not"
-"But sir I really think it would be a good idea".
-"No, absolutely no"
-"I am charging anyway" - autosaveing.

Also I would like a DLC, "X4 Code Of Conduct", where I can court-martial pilots for not following orders. Maybe that would motivate them to do as I say. For not flying where I tell them during combat, not fleeing when I tell them and fleeing when I want them to attack. Or for on purpose flying slow when given the order to attack so their fellow pilots die before they get there.

I have been clearing out Xenons sectors now for 3 days and needed to ventilate this somewhere.

chip56

Re: A not at all serious suggestion

Post by chip56 » Mon, 17. May 21, 21:39

Oh i like that one.
I have another one: The captain of a ship should call you and tell you that your "escape through the gate 3 km away" plan is stupid and that he will now commit to plan "dock at station 2.5km away thats currently under fire of 3 destroyers and at 10% hull without any turrets of its own" and then cite some math book that 2.5km is nearer than 3km so clearly the 2.5km option is always better since its less distance the captain has to fly.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Mon, 17. May 21, 21:45

furirkeeper wrote:
Mon, 17. May 21, 21:11
I have been clearing out Xenons sectors now for 3 days and needed to ventilate this somewhere.
Looking at your nickname, I thought you were all about keeping your anger to yourself. :D

Also add radio chatter for
"-I know you just told me to disengage and flee the enemy, but now there's an enemy just behind me and I just burned through all my shields. Can I engage?
-No, run.
-Is that a yes or an affirmative?
-NO! RUN! You've got for 500k credits of cargo aboard.
Understood, Engaging."
Boom.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Mon, 17. May 21, 21:54

furirkeeper wrote:
I propose a new notification feature where destroyer captains have to ask permission before charging a station. It could use the "press F" popup that is used for other things. I imagine it would be something like this:
-"No you may not"
-"No, absolutely no"

Also I would like a DLC, "X4 Code Of Conduct", where I can court-martial pilots for not following orders. Maybe that would motivate them to do as I say. For not flying where I tell them during combat, not fleeing when I tell them and fleeing when I want them to attack. Or for on purpose flying slow when given the order to attack so their fellow pilots die before they get there.

Do you know why they charge? Because from the angle you set them to attack the first module they WANT to attack is either on the other side or at the center.
When you see this behaviour, change the angle of the attack and you will see they won't charge.

Is very easy for Egosoft to fix this issue for good. Make the ships attack at 40 degrees angle top and pick the closest module to them not the one the game engine sets.
If any dev reads this have a thought.

Clownmug
x4

Post by Clownmug » Mon, 17. May 21, 22:03

Yeah, they should also ask if it's ok to burn all their shields boosting their speed from 150 m/s to 180 m/s.

furirkeeper
x4

Post by furirkeeper » Mon, 17. May 21, 22:14

Ezarkal wrote:
Mon, 17. May 21, 21:45
furirkeeper wrote:
Looking at your nickname, I thought you were all about keeping your anger to yourself. :D

Also add radio chatter for
"-I know you just told me to disengage and flee the enemy, but now there's an enemy just behind me and I just burned through all my shields. Can I engage?
-No, run.
-Is that a yes or an affirmative?
-NO! RUN! You've got for 500k credits of cargo aboard.
Understood, Engaging."
Boom.
Not exactly what I had in mind when I created my nick many years ago, but FuryKeeper has a nice ring too.
Anyway, every now and then it boils over and I feel the need to write things down. I am trying to angle it in a way that is not just aggressive and rude like some other nicks on this forum. At the end of the day this game is great and I am just thankful Egosoft made it, otherwise I wouldn't even be here.

furirkeeper
x4

Post by furirkeeper » Mon, 17. May 21, 22:19

Panos wrote:
Mon, 17. May 21, 21:54
furirkeeper wrote:
-"No you may not"
-"No, absolutely no"

Do you know why they charge? Because from the angle you set them to attack the first module they WANT to attack is either on the other side or at the center.
When you see this behaviour, change the angle of the attack and you will see they won't charge.

Is very easy for Egosoft to fix this issue for good. Make the ships attack at 40 degrees angle top and pick the closest module to them not the one the game engine sets.
If any dev reads this have a thought.
I know the trick of attacking the long side, but the angle I haven't thought of. Thanks, will try that next time.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 18. May 21, 00:49

I'd want Egosoft to make it so that stations generally outrange ships so that trying to micro your destroyers to stay out of range is not even an issue. Any mobile destroyer should have to tank some damage from a stationary defense platform.

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Tue, 18. May 21, 03:04

Falcrack wrote:
Tue, 18. May 21, 00:49
I'd want Egosoft to make it so that stations generally outrange ships so that trying to micro your destroyers to stay out of range is not even an issue. Any mobile destroyer should have to tank some damage from a stationary defense platform.
When was the last time you tried vanilla? Any destroyer just gets within the guns of a defense module of a XEN station, dies within 20 seconds. (fully geared ones)
To take down the wharf you will need 50 destroyers and lose over 30 of them if you leave the AI handle the battle on a tricky shaped station.

Half the time coordinated attack works, true but when they start rotating around the station they get inside the guns and die.

Enough of this nonsense. The majority has REAL LIFE and want to play the game for the fun, not grinding all day because they have nothing better to do.
Already the mining changes have killed the game for casual players who set up 4-5 miners and just explored the game at slow pace, because Egosoft listened to some masochists who play with dozens of mods ignoring the significant silent majority.

Sanshy
x4

Post by Sanshy » Tue, 18. May 21, 06:08

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

You removed the words of my mouth...
I could not have described better my frustration with ships behavior sometimes.
The really worst is the ship keep attacking despite you ask it to flee or that when fleeing it’s going right towards the enemy. We have to deal with that stupid AI all the time and watch out carefully.

When something happened best way is to teleport onboard ... TAKE THE HELM and try a desperate manœuvre attempt of survival. It very often end up badly in my space suit initiating an emergency teleportation.

I tried other method ... like shamanic dance around the fire, ornamented of a necklace with the teeth of a crocodile before I release the pause button and I try to save the situation.

Despite my marabous, shamanic rituals and other tricks... the AI is desperately miserable and weak.

I would love an option where I can select at which % of the shield I trigger the escape of my ship ... but that’s for an other decade.

Vive la France!

furirkeeper
x4

Post by furirkeeper » Tue, 18. May 21, 07:38

Sanshy wrote:
Tue, 18. May 21, 06:08

I would love an option where I can select at which % of the shield I trigger the escape of my ship ... but that’s for an other decade.
I asked for this in version v1.0, haven't lost hope yet. As it is now to wait until the shields are gone and half dead before fleeing is not very good for survivability. Fleeing is an act of panic. Better if they could disengage in a controlled fasion much earlier.

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Tue, 18. May 21, 08:05

Disobeying an order is the worst thing a captain can do !
I do believe when at captains collage, the ( go down with a sinking ship ), is their whole and complete aim in life. And will do what ever it takes to sink they're ship !
For this reason, all my captains sign an agreement, I get there wife’s !
Unfortunately some of the wife’s are a bit worse for ware, and thus I can understand why the captains are so keen to go down with the ship.

Then there is the old wife’s tale, yes ! Some of them have tails. This adds reason to the desire to sink the ship !

Us OverLords, need to come to understand the mentality of the Captains.
You only have to observe the actions of a captain of a mining ship to realise they are evolutionary not that advanced. Normally Blind from birth, their parents having been underground for so long, genetically they need not see.
Trade ship captains suffer from the free effect of Space-weed, there cabins so thick with weed, the poor chaps are constantly high. Resulting in the erratic behaviour.

So we need to be more sympathetic toward out Captains, We here at the OverLords convention academy no long use the firing squad. We find vaporising is far less messy.
:D

Midnitewolf

Post by Midnitewolf » Tue, 18. May 21, 21:46

Falcrack wrote:
Honestly, your on point about this. Stations should outrange ships, I mean even if we think logically about it, a huge space station would also have a huge reactor powering it that is much larger than the one powering a ship and because of that should have to ability to put more power into its defensive armament. Also what is the point of even spending time, effort and credits to put guns on a station if it is possible for ships to be armed with weapons that render those guns ineffective? It would make much more sense just taking that time, effort and credits to build a cap ship or two to guard each station.

On the other hand, you would be going through a lot of cap ships trying to take one down so I imagine this idea wouldn't be popular with most people.

Midnitewolf

Post by Midnitewolf » Tue, 18. May 21, 21:52

Panos wrote:
Tue, 18. May 21, 03:04
Falcrack wrote:
When was the last time you tried vanilla? Any destroyer just gets within the guns of a defense module of a XEN station, dies within 20 seconds. (fully geared ones)
To take down the wharf you will need 50 destroyers and lose over 30 of them if you leave the AI handle the battle on a tricky shaped station.

Half the time coordinated attack works, true but when they start rotating around the station they get inside the guns and die.

Enough of this nonsense. The majority has REAL LIFE and want to play the game for the fun, not grinding all day because they have nothing better to do.
Already the mining changes have killed the game for casual players who set up 4-5 miners and just explored the game at slow pace, because Egosoft listened to some masochists who play with dozens of mods ignoring the significant silent majority.
I have got to agree with you here. The game is so grindy that the only reason I can actually play is that I am single, have no children, unemployed and have nothing better to do with my life. Just the other day I was playing just doing what I would like to call a little maintenance, things like checking my factories, building a few more ships, moving some fleets around, adding a few modules to factories, etc., and next thing I knew, 5 hours were gone. Because of how grindy it is, it is next to impossible to actually get anywhere in only a few hours of gameplay and the devs seem intent on making it more grindy any way they can.

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Tue, 18. May 21, 22:09

Midnitewolf wrote:
Tue, 18. May 21, 21:52
Panos wrote:
Tue, 18. May 21, 03:04
Falcrack wrote:

I have got to agree with you here. The game is so grindy that the only reason I can actually play is that I am single, have no children, unemployed and have nothing better to do with my life. Just the other day I was playing just doing what I would like to call a little maintenance, things like checking my factories, building a few more ships, moving some fleets around, adding a few modules to factories, etc., and next thing I knew, 5 hours were gone. Because of how grindy it is, it is next to impossible to actually get anywhere in only a few hours of gameplay and the devs seem intent on making it more grindy any way they can.
Trying to clear the 3 XEN sectors for the mission, is a pain and indeed many hours fly by arranging the destroyers to auto shoot with their plasma and not try to kamikaze and same position as you IRL.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 18. May 21, 22:12

Nort The Fragrent wrote:
Tue, 18. May 21, 08:05
Us OverLords, need to come to understand the mentality of the Captains.

So we need to be more sympathetic toward out Captains, We here at the OverLords convention academy no long use the firing squad. We find vaporising is far less messy.
:D
That's the spirit! :thumb_up:

For some reason no captain has offered to autotrade for me since the word got out that I plug Hammerhead into candidate's tailpipe for their trial run. :gruebel:
Midnitewolf wrote:
Tue, 18. May 21, 21:46
Falcrack wrote:
Honestly, your on point about this. Stations should outrange ships, ...

On the other hand, you would be going through a lot of cap ships trying to take one down so I imagine this idea wouldn't be popular with most people.
Apparently you can already go through a lot of cap ships trying to take a station, so that part would not change.
However, we could blame the evil stations, rather than our cute captains.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

furirkeeper
x4

Post by furirkeeper » Wed, 19. May 21, 08:15

If taking down a station would mean loosing lots of capital ships then it would take ages to clear a sector of around 10 stations. Not to mention that the NPC factions would never again be able to do it, which would put an end to NPC factions conquering sectors.

Unless of course some other major rebalancing is done to either make stations weaker or destroyers stronger. Or to limit the numbers of stations per sector.

(I am not proposing any the things in this post, just stating the obvious.)

That said, it would make sense for both capital ships and stations to equip state of the art weaponary meaning the ranges could be equal. But even so a station is a statical object and destroyers are dynamical so a few well placed destroyers would still be able to take down a station without suffering significant damage.

Return to “X4: Foundations”