Finally built a wharf...i feel the pain of others

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Duncaroos
x4

Finally built a wharf...i feel the pain of others

Post by Duncaroos » Sun, 9. May 21, 17:48

Am doing the Terran cadet playthrough, finally managed to set up a S/M wharf and I thought - finally, time for the end game stuff to save up for L/XL shipyards and doing terraforming.

Instead, the wharf is pretty quiet, maybe pumping a small squadron for TER every few hours. Yes, I have all blueprints and it's fully stocked and no restrictions on building ships. Now I'm broke, and resorting back to selling my resources as opposed to making good sales at the Wharf. But that just reinforces the factions to not buy ships from me, making my Wharf only good for making S/M ships for myself, but I can't conquer xenon / other factionz without L/XL...so now I feel a bit stuck without dumping money into having another faction build L/XL ships for me. Can't make good sales anyways, because of the big sales nerf in 4.0.

Anyways, rant over. I also died teleporting to my small scout ship in Faulty Lol as they found 'something' and immediately got
both the ship and myself blown up immediately because dog mines I forgot about...I turned off autosave to minimize downtime from all this station building stuff and forgot to turn it back on/quicksave, so I lost ~12 hours game time..so I'm a bit salty :lol:
Playing X4+All_DLC 6.20 Build - on:
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X; RAM: 4x8GB DDR4 3200MHz; GPU: GTX 1070 8GB, Driver v516.94, DirectX 12.0; OS: Win10 Home 22H2 (19045.3086); Monitor: Single Acer S232HL 1920x1080

Duncaroo's Station Storage Estimator

Raptor34
x4

Re: Finally built a wharf...i feel the pain of others

Post by Raptor34 » Sun, 9. May 21, 18:00

TER doesn't buy ships. Or to be precise they rarely lose ships.
My open trade HOP wharf drops 500mil or so into my account on occasion, never checked how long it takes though.
And if you ever complete the plot and keep the Yaki they are good customers too, though I should really check back to make sure I actually am making money for those.
Last edited by Raptor34 on Sun, 9. May 21, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.

IRONOX
x4

Post by IRONOX » Sun, 9. May 21, 18:00

Just sell the ships manualy to other factions. Works fine for me :P
Alle Angaben mit Gewähr auf eventuelle Fehlerhaftigkeit!

Duncaroos
x4

Post by Duncaroos » Sun, 9. May 21, 18:04

IRONOX wrote:
Sun, 9. May 21, 18:00
Just sell the ships manualy to other factions. Works fine for me :P
Ya I figured that, just too much micro stuff. Was hoping to set it and go do other things
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X; RAM: 4x8GB DDR4 3200MHz; GPU: GTX 1070 8GB, Driver v516.94, DirectX 12.0; OS: Win10 Home 22H2 (19045.3086); Monitor: Single Acer S232HL 1920x1080

al_dude
x4

Post by al_dude » Sun, 9. May 21, 18:06

I want my wharf and shipyard to be quiet. I build shipyard first and then wharf though since I need L miners more than any other ships.

Duncaroos
x4

Post by Duncaroos » Sun, 9. May 21, 18:22

al_dude wrote:
Sun, 9. May 21, 18:06
I want my wharf and shipyard to be quiet. I build shipyard first and then wharf though since I need L miners more than any other ships.
Ya I see the error of my ways now...I should have done shipyard first.

Next playthrough :)

jkflipflop98
x4

Post by jkflipflop98 » Mon, 10. May 21, 07:00

It sucks, but you can kind of set it and forget it by queueing up like 50 or 100 katanas with mesons. That should bleed your resources dry for at least a little while. Then when you finally get back around to it, you can select all 50 or them and sell them all at once. it's not too much micro - though it would be preferable if your shipyard just charged a fair value on par with everyone else's shipyards.

Raevyan
x4

Post by Raevyan » Mon, 10. May 21, 08:31

Manually build ships and sell them to npc‘s and make more money you ever need. With TER economy you can do that pretty much non stop. I‘d suggest to switch to L ships because of less micromanagement of ordering/selling ships.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Mon, 10. May 21, 09:01

Build commonwealth ships, not CoH ships.

TER, and to a lesser degree PIO, have got a ridiculously easy game setup compared to every other faction, so they don't have much demand.

If you did the same thing in commonwealth space, you'd be making a metric ton of credits. A basic s/m/l/xl shipyard, that buys EVERYTHING it needs to build ships, will net you about a billion every 24 game hours.

It's still the most ridiculously profitable type of station in the game.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 10. May 21, 10:45

Raptor34 wrote:
Player can convert that "Does not need" problem into "Will not buy from Enemy of Sol" issue. :twisted:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Raevyan
x4

Post by Raevyan » Mon, 10. May 21, 13:35

jlehtone wrote:
Mon, 10. May 21, 10:45
Raptor34 wrote:
Player can convert that "Does not need" problem into "Will not buy from Enemy of Sol" issue. :twisted:
You can also block the Terran/PIO shipyard to at least get to build what little they actually need to replace. But honestly, if you just order L ships in batches of 500 you can just check after a few hours and mass sell manually once. You don‘t have to do this very often until you don’t need the credits.

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Mon, 10. May 21, 14:28

Terrans buy Syn and Osaka from me enough to keep my shipyard busy.

Midnitewolf

Post by Midnitewolf » Mon, 10. May 21, 20:29

There is nothing wrong with Wharfs. Even with the reduced income, I still make hundreds of millions with mine.

The thing is, each faction is different and has different needs. Some factions will only rarely buys ships from you and others can't get enough. TER and PIO never have a shortage of resources to build ships so absolutely do not need to buy ships from the player. On the other hand, Split ALWAYS has a shortage of ships and my S/M fabrication bays are never idle. Chimera's are especially profitable selling for upwards of 3-4 million each I think due to the fact that Split buy them armed with 6 Lances each. My point is you just have to find the right market and provide the right ships for it. Oh and you don't even need to make anything to supply your Wharf/Shipyard. I have multiple ship yards that import everything and I still make good profits in the dozens of millions from each of them.

What the OP is going to need to do. since I am guessing his Wharf is in TER space, is turn off Terran only build method and set it to universal. Then import non-Terran products to build with. Then buy plans for non-terran ships. I would normally recommend Chimera's but the distance might cause some issues. I am guessing Parinid though I don't know for sure since I never build for them. ARG/ANT don't seem to buy a lot of ships for whatever reason. ANT buys more than ARG but it can still be a little slow.

Anyway that should fix your issue.

Also there are a couple of mods out that that restore ship sales back to what they were prior to the nerf so that is an option however, to be blunt, the amount you can make from ship yards, even with the reduced profits, quickly becomes obscene to the point credits become meaningless very quickly so I would only use the mod if you are extremely impatient or like playing the game with zero challenge.

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Tue, 11. May 21, 11:23

One S/M Wharf in Memory of ProfitIX. No factories. Just a small amount of storage. And the little insignificant station is humming. Only have very basic Teladi blueprints, the little poorly shielded and weaponed ships never seem to last very long. So they keep buying more. Cool A !

Knock em out cheep, and quick. They soon fall apart ! So keep building them. Easy money.
:D

jkflipflop98
x4

Post by jkflipflop98 » Tue, 11. May 21, 17:55

grapedog wrote:
Mon, 10. May 21, 09:01

TER, and to a lesser degree PIO, have got a ridiculously easy game setup compared to every other faction, so they don't have much demand.

If you did the same thing in commonwealth space, you'd be making a metric ton of credits. A basic s/m/l/xl shipyard, that buys EVERYTHING it needs to build ships, will net you about a billion every 24 game hours.

That's not even close to being true. I have my wharf in NFII and I make all the terran components. I tried at first to buy the universal goods for the other faction's ships. I was losing over 50M an hour. I had to go spend another billion credits getting all the blueprints and building up all the stations for the universal goods, then set the wharf to buy only from me, THEN I started making a small profit. My two substrate fabs in Terran space make way more money than my wharf. I guess we better nerf the sh*t out of substrate production facilities now, wouldn't want the player having any fun.

It just feels like a huge disappointment. You finally work your way up to the pinnacle of trade production in the game only to find out it sells the good it produces for 10% of what all the NPC shipyards sell their goods for. If it costs me 9.8M to buy a mk.3 katana with protons from the TER shipyard, then it should cost them 9.8M credits to buy one from me. Anything else is nonsensical BS.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Tue, 11. May 21, 19:08

jkflipflop98 wrote:
Tue, 11. May 21, 17:55
grapedog wrote:
Mon, 10. May 21, 09:01

That's not even close to being true. I have my wharf in NFII and I make all the terran components. I tried at first to buy the universal goods for the other faction's ships. I was losing over 50M an hour. I had to go spend another billion credits getting all the blueprints and building up all the stations for the universal goods, then set the wharf to buy only from me, THEN I started making a small profit. My two substrate fabs in Terran space make way more money than my wharf. I guess we better nerf the sh*t out of substrate production facilities now, wouldn't want the player having any fun.

It just feels like a huge disappointment. You finally work your way up to the pinnacle of trade production in the game only to find out it sells the good it produces for 10% of what all the NPC shipyards sell their goods for. If it costs me 9.8M to buy a mk.3 katana with protons from the TER shipyard, then it should cost them 9.8M credits to buy one from me. Anything else is nonsensical BS.
If you need help, just ask for it, since you are clearly doing something wrong with your commonwealth setups.

jkflipflop98
x4

Post by jkflipflop98 » Tue, 11. May 21, 20:28

grapedog wrote:
Tue, 11. May 21, 19:08

If you need help, just ask for it, since you are clearly doing something wrong with your commonwealth setups.
I'm not sure what help can be provided. I spent billions buying up all the blueprints from all the factions and building every single good in the game myself internally, set the sales amount to other factions to 150%, and still when I sell a ship to the NPCs they pay me a fraction of what I would pay if I went to their shipyard and purchased the exact same loadout. So now for my 3B+ credits (and 300 hours of my time) invested I get maybe 200M an hour at best. usually it's less than that. Mind you, I'm only talking S/M wharf here. I have the L fab bay but only a few blueprints and no XL dock at all.

So I installed the mod that puts the amount back to "pre-4.0 changes" and while you're getting more money per ship sale, you're still not getting anywhere near what you get if you build the same ship and manually sell it to their shipyard for a fair value.

When the NPCs buy a ship from your shipyard, does it pay you the same amount as when you buy the same loadout from them? If yes, then you can help me. If no, then I'm not sure what you're on about.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Tue, 11. May 21, 21:56

jkflipflop98 wrote:
Tue, 11. May 21, 20:28
So I installed the mod that puts the amount back to "pre-4.0 changes" and while you're getting more money per ship sale, you're still not getting anywhere near what you get if you build the same ship and manually sell it to their shipyard for a fair value.

When the NPCs buy a ship from your shipyard, does it pay you the same amount as when you buy the same loadout from them? If yes, then you can help me. If no, then I'm not sure what you're on about.
Oh, no, lol. I can't help you there. I moved past all that whiney-baby shipyard BS pretty much as soon as it happened, when i realized that my "nerfed" shipyards still make me billions and are still the most profitable station you can make, by a long shot.

Jeraal
x4

Post by Jeraal » Tue, 11. May 21, 22:07

grapedog wrote:
Tue, 11. May 21, 21:56
jkflipflop98 wrote:

Oh, no, lol. I can't help you there. I moved past all that whiney-baby shipyard BS pretty much as soon as it happened, when i realized that my "nerfed" shipyards still make me billions and are still the most profitable station you can make, by a long shot.
You don't mind the change, others do. Why the need for personal insults? Coming from someone who has yet to build a shipyard.
Brute force and ignorance solves all problems, just not very efficiently.

If brute force isn't working, then you aren't using enough.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Tue, 11. May 21, 22:27

Jeraal wrote:
Tue, 11. May 21, 22:07
grapedog wrote:
Tue, 11. May 21, 21:56
jkflipflop98 wrote:

You don't mind the change, others do. Why the need for personal insults? Coming from someone who has yet to build a shipyard.
It isn't that I mind or don't mind the change. It's that the game changed. Will i cry in my pillow about how unfair it is, or will i adapt and move on? It was broken before the change, to the point of limiting myself on all new gamestarts to one shipyard per game to keep some kind of challenge. Even with only one shipyard, which doesn't sell to every faction for RP reasons, that buys everything itself and produces nothing internally, still makes a billion a game day.

It was broken before, and i don't fully agree with the change, but it still makes ridiculous amounts of money, and other issues are way more important than "making 1 billion a day versus 4 billion a day".

But some people still carry that torch, walking around like they're carrying a big wooden cross on their back. Move on already and try to get actual game issues fixed.

Return to “X4: Foundations”