How big is your Mega-HQ/station?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

apricotslice
x4

How big is your Mega-HQ/station?

Post by apricotslice » Tue, 4. May 21, 11:53

With Teraforming requirements for the HQ, I decided to restart the game, since I abandoned building on my HQ a long time ago. Total dog's breakfast.

So with the new game start, I took what I built for a closed loop shipyard, and a closed loop hull plate and claytronics factory, combined them, and added what I think I need for Terran ships, and completely redesigned my HQ.

The object is to end up with a fully functional shipyard which brings in 200+ mill an hour, and after running it for a few of them, to provide everything needed for teraforming.

Total modules = 1026. (including all the joiners.)

It's going to take days of game time to build. (I'm not using seta either.)

But I wondered, how many modules are in other people's mega-build?

GCU Grey Area
x4

Re: How big is your Mega-HQ/station?

Post by GCU Grey Area » Tue, 4. May 21, 12:28

Still early days in my current game, so still constructing my HQ. However, this is what my HQ ended up looking like in my 4.0 beta game:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/it2je17hd3x05 ... 1.jpg?dl=0
Total modules (including structural elements) = 1479
https://www.dropbox.com/s/84ej8xw665sd1 ... 1.jpg?dl=0

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Tue, 4. May 21, 12:41

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Tue, 4. May 21, 12:28
Still early days in my current game, so still constructing my HQ. However, this is what my HQ ended up looking like in my 4.0 beta game:
How many people did that live?

I've only added 2 large habitats so far. Never needed more than 5 so far playing.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Tue, 4. May 21, 13:09

apricotslice wrote:
Tue, 4. May 21, 12:41
Optimal workforce was a bit over 128k, though never managed to get a full workforce for it.
Had almost enough housing for all of them (18K Split + 105k Argon), Split in the centre near the big rock, Argon around Split habitation & important production modules (Argon houses = ablative armour to a Split).
Managed to fill about 1/2 of that before the Terran DLC was released & I started a new game.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Tue, 4. May 21, 13:46

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Tue, 4. May 21, 13:09
apricotslice wrote:
Tue, 4. May 21, 12:41
Optimal workforce was a bit over 128k, though never managed to get a full workforce for it.
Had almost enough housing for all of them (18K Split + 105k Argon), Split in the centre near the big rock, Argon around Split habitation & important production modules (Argon houses = ablative armour to a Split).
Managed to fill about 1/2 of that before the Terran DLC was released & I started a new game.
Did having the workforce make any difference to production?

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Tue, 4. May 21, 14:35

apricotslice wrote:
Tue, 4. May 21, 13:46
Yes, workforce can make a noticeable difference. Enough at least for me to go to the trouble of building habitation & providing food etc. Effects vary depending on what's being made, however a full workforce is generally good for around 30-50% extra production from the same amount of resources. Even if you only have 1/2 of optimal workforce (as I did at that HQ) I still reckon it's worth having an 20% or so extra production, particularly when you're involved in terraforming which requires staggeringly huge quantities of stuff.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Tue, 4. May 21, 14:51

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Tue, 4. May 21, 14:35
apricotslice wrote:
Yes, workforce can make a noticeable difference. Enough at least for me to go to the trouble of building habitation & providing food etc. Effects vary depending on what's being made, however a full workforce is generally good for around 30-50% extra production from the same amount of resources. Even if you only have 1/2 of optimal workforce (as I did at that HQ) I still reckon it's worth having an 20% or so extra production, particularly when you're involved in terraforming which requires staggeringly huge quantities of stuff.
Thanks, I'll remember that.

Hawkseyez
x4

Post by Hawkseyez » Tue, 4. May 21, 16:23

apricotslice wrote:
Tue, 4. May 21, 14:51
GCU Grey Area wrote:
Tue, 4. May 21, 14:35
apricotslice wrote:
Thanks, I'll remember that.
don't really need workforce. just make lots of building drones. those will pump out the ships quickly enough. workforce is a pain. by the time you have time to mess with it, you'll be done most of the game the little production bonus won't matter. workforce does however affect how many people you can fill your ships with more importantly. i find that more useful than the production bonuses specially for big ships. gotta have crewmen if gonna get into fights. cheers.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Tue, 4. May 21, 16:30

Hawkseyez wrote:
Tue, 4. May 21, 16:23
gotta have crewmen if gonna get into fights.
Why? :mrgreen:

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Tue, 4. May 21, 16:30

apricotslice wrote:
Tue, 4. May 21, 16:30
Hawkseyez wrote:
Self repair on big ships.

Hawkseyez
x4

Post by Hawkseyez » Tue, 4. May 21, 16:34

Raptor34 wrote:
apricotslice wrote:
Hawkseyez wrote:
Self repair on big ships.
exactly. ships fight much longer filled with able crewmen. cheers.

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Tue, 4. May 21, 22:08

apricotslice wrote:
Tue, 4. May 21, 11:53
I think it might take longer than you think to build that without SETA.

I previously built a clone of my existing 1700+ module shipyard, it took 3 days & nights to build on SETA.
(& that's with full availability of build resources, mainly from the 1st shipyard)

So approximating, without SETA a 1000 module station would take about 9 days (& nights) !,
- assuming no resource glitches.

Also I think you're hoping for a bit too much aiming at 200M/h,
especially with the shipyard profit reductions that came with 4.0,

Both my mega shipyards (+ PHQ for Yaki) 'only' pull in about 120M/hr (at 100% setting),
from NPC's building ships (including a lot of Yaki & Terran orders now).

You can get a lot more profit if you manually sell built ships to factions,
- if you can sell that many ships...
I'm running at building about 120 ships/hour (average per hour across sizes = 87xS + 25xM + 5.7xL + 1.4xXL),
a large proportion of it is 'fighter squadron' ships.

Profits used to be about 3 times that pre 4.0 - but that was a good change in 4.0,
since it somewhat reduces the run-away auto-profits happening too soon from spoiling a fresh game.
i.e. build a shipyard = quick loss of interest in any other profit avenues in the game,
even as it is I think it's still a bit too 'get rich quick'.

P.S. each mega shipyard has 160K workers (all races) of the optimum 300K = 120% efficiency on production.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Wed, 5. May 21, 03:03

exogenesis wrote:
Tue, 4. May 21, 22:08
That figures.

The one thing you can always be sure of is when you find a good earner, Egosoft will nerf it in the next patch. :headbang:

Still, 120mill/h is still worth the exercise.

Fenris321
x4

Post by Fenris321 » Wed, 5. May 21, 07:54

apricotslice wrote:
Wed, 5. May 21, 03:03
exogenesis wrote:
Tue, 4. May 21, 22:08
That figures.

The one thing you can always be sure of is when you find a good earner, Egosoft will nerf it in the next patch. :headbang:

Still, 120mill/h is still worth the exercise.
Thing is with a shipyard, especially if it is 100% self sustaining money becomes almost completely worthless. You simply just don't need it most of the time since you can build anything you need.

That's why on one of my saves I have the shipyard closed to everyone, I don't need the money and I don't want factions using up my resources and taking up dock space in the building facilities. I have a couple other stations for making money for blueprints and on those occasions when just paying for something is quicker than building it and flying or shipping it to the other side of the map.

I know others who have said even if it's not a 100% closed loop station (they buy resources from factions) they still make enough money to be rich and can still build ships when they want them.
Last edited by Fenris321 on Wed, 5. May 21, 08:37, edited 1 time in total.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 5. May 21, 08:23

Fenris321 wrote:
Wed, 5. May 21, 07:54
... money becomes almost completely worthless.
That is inevitable whether you have automated sources of income or not. It is very hard to not accumulate credits and assets.

Can't answer the OP question; no stations, not even mini or HQ. Yet. Perhaps later.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Pitagora
x4

Post by Pitagora » Wed, 5. May 21, 09:47

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Tue, 4. May 21, 12:28
It reminds the OTAS HQ in TC :)
Ricarica et impera!

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Thu, 6. May 21, 21:48

apricotslice wrote:
Tue, 4. May 21, 11:53
With Teraforming requirements for the HQ, I decided to restart the game, since I abandoned building on my HQ a long time ago. Total dog's breakfast.

So with the new game start, I took what I built for a closed loop shipyard, and a closed loop hull plate and claytronics factory, combined them, and added what I think I need for Terran ships, and completely redesigned my HQ.

The object is to end up with a fully functional shipyard which brings in 200+ mill an hour, and after running it for a few of them, to provide everything needed for teraforming.

Total modules = 1026. (including all the joiners.)

But I wondered, how many modules are in other people's mega-build?
Why? You can have single product factories spread around and combine everything where ever you want with Repeat Orders?
No need for mega complexes :)

jkflipflop98
x4

Post by jkflipflop98 » Mon, 10. May 21, 06:49

That's funny. I tried operating a shipyard by bringing in universal goods. I took a MASSIVE loss on letting the NPCs buy ships directly from me. The only way to make money is to produce everything yourself and even then the small pittance you make off a shipyard is jack squat compared to what you make running a substrate fab in terran space. I would like to see the value raised to an actual sane value that makes sense - namely bring it on parity with the other shipyards. Whatever you would get by manually click-selling to a shipyard is the same value you should get when the the NPCs auto buy from your shipyard. It doesn't make any logical sense whatsoever that I'm charging 100k for a fighter ship when everyone else sells the same thing for 1.3M.

But, hey, I'm not the type of guy that needs to drip hot wax on my balls to have a good time. I actually like having credits in my account and being able to afford building stations and buying blueprints. I can afford those things, but only if I turn off autosales to the other factions, print out a throwaway fleet of katanas with mesons, then manually sell those to the NPCs. Why do you force me to take this extra step of tedium? Just let me sell the F'n ships for a fair value that's on par with everyone else in the universe.
Last edited by jkflipflop98 on Mon, 10. May 21, 06:52, edited 1 time in total.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Mon, 10. May 21, 06:52

That's funny. My open trade wharf is making good money. Didn't even fiddle with any setting or even trade with any faction besides HOP.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Mon, 10. May 21, 07:09

jkflipflop98 wrote:
Mon, 10. May 21, 06:49
It doesn't make any logical sense whatsoever that I'm charging 100k for a fighter ship when everyone else sells the same thing for 1.3M.
That makes no sense.

On the ship fabricator, there's a slider for percent of normal price for you to charge.

Setting it to 120% still keeps the shipyard running flat out.

It sounds like you have yours set at 10%.

You might want to change that.

Return to “X4: Foundations”