A Death Match Arena

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

A Death Match Arena

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Sun, 2. May 21, 15:50

I noticed in one of the sectors that the Hub is still in the game.

Why not use it to connect the player to areas of space that are filled with deadly enemies. In the first instance the player should be able to connect the hub to an inactive gate.
They can then move their fleets to the hub.

The hub will then open a new gateway to an area of space that is separate from all others. This set of generated sectors will only contain enemy stations and fighters.
The player can then try to destroy everything in the newly generated sectors. This is for all of those players, that complain about either the Xenon or the existing factions not being strong enough.
Also those players who have large economies and shipyards, with tons of ships flying around essentially doing nothing.

Open this up to modders so that they can tweak things to create very deadly enemies. The enemies do not need an economy, they are only there to be destroyed.

These sectors could be populated with ships and stations that do not fit in with the current game balance.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

dtpsprt
x4

Re: A Death Match Arena

Post by dtpsprt » Sun, 2. May 21, 18:54

Interesting proposition but it fails in two ways:
a) The place of the Hub. The ships will need hours of gameplay to reach it...
b) The whole idea of appearing just for gameplay reasons, not linked with the overall game economy is totally the opposite of the direction and current philosophy of Egosoft....

Pesanur
x4

Post by Pesanur » Sun, 2. May 21, 21:38

dtpsprt wrote:
Sun, 2. May 21, 18:54
Interesting proposition but it fails in two ways:
a) The place of the Hub. The ships will need hours of gameplay to reach it...
b) The whole idea of appearing just for gameplay reasons, not linked with the overall game economy is totally the opposite of the direction and current philosophy of Egosoft....
a) This isn't a problem, remember that you enter to the Hub through a gate, and that the physical location of the hub is in one of the sectors of the Split DLC, so the logic is to make of the interior of the Hub a new sector, like in X3, that can be entered through one of the inactive gates of the base game.

b) I think the same, the idea of a deathmatch arena fits better with an unfocussed jump drive.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Mon, 3. May 21, 08:34

Well there seems to me, a number of people, that are always asking for factions like the Xenon, to be made more powerful.

Asking for huge capital ships that are armed to the teeth and capable of much higher levels of destruction.

I for one am quite happy for them to stay close to their current configuration.

Howver once you have captured the Xenon sectors, who really, is there left to fight? Yes I know you can take on another faction.
However having something like an area of space that is generated repeatedly and filled with enemies, may just satisfy these people,
without messing up the rest of the universe. Especially if there is a random element to the layout of these sectors, jump gates, stations and ships.

For some people they are rapidly creating larger and larger fleets. What can they do with them. In X3 we did not need such fleets,
as I said, the player could take a Boreas and take on multiple Xenon sectors. They regenerated.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Mon, 3. May 21, 09:27

Not opposed to the idea in principle, however do think using the Hub for this would be a bit of a waste. Could be equally well done by having a short plot to install a device on an ordinary inactive jumpgate, which then provides access to random sectors. Don't need 3 pairs of user configurable gates for that. If the Hub is reintroduced think it should have it's original functionality (i.e. storage depot for microchips).

Return to “X4: Foundations”