Any way to set the station miners to mine at rich areas?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Saphyra

Any way to set the station miners to mine at rich areas?

Post by Saphyra » Sun, 2. May 21, 02:54

I have built a station in "The reach" dedicated for mining, and distributing resources to the factories (Most of them also located in "The reach")

I assigned 100+ Hokkaidos (About Gas 50 / 50 Mineral) as miners.
I assigned about 150 gas/mineral transporters, there are Bolos, Drills, Magnetars, etc) to transport the mined resources to the factories.

The problem is: I'm still out of minerals. Gases are okay, (Except Methane, but the demand for that is also higher because of Terraforming)
I checked the resource availability, and Argon Prime is kind of out of everything. Info says there are 80k Ore and 55k Silicon.
One jump away, in "Second Contact II Flashpoint" there are 260k/220k, in "Second Contact VII" there are 7600k/7000k of them.
And many of my ships are still try to fill their cargo in Argon Prime, what takes ages.

Why don't they just go and mine, where there are stuff to mine? The station manager has 5 stars, and I think the captains are also above 3 stars, so they should "see" that far.

Is there any way to block Argon Prime for the miners? I don't think it is a good idea to blacklist it globally for all traders, Argon Prime is too important transit system for that.

Fenris321
x4

Re: Any way to set the station miners to mine at rich areas?

Post by Fenris321 » Sun, 2. May 21, 03:12

You can restrict sector activities to civilian ships In Argon Prime in global orders. Don't make that your default order and only give it to miners. That way your trade ships should still trade there. Argon Prime might look like it has decent resources, but they are so spread out as to be almost worthless to mine. Also if you have any resource probes in Argon Prime, I'd collect those and only put them in sectors where you want your miners to work.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Sun, 2. May 21, 03:21

Make sure your station manager has a decent amount of management stars too. If he has too few stars, your miners gate distance they can work within will be low. Get some management seminars to get him up to at least 2+ stars.

Saphyra

Post by Saphyra » Sun, 2. May 21, 03:37

As I said, the manager is 5 stars, and the pilots are about 3-5 stars (Depending their age). So I'm sure they can see farther than 1 sector.

Is it possible to set an order default for a group (Station's alpha group for me). I'd rather build a new station to a distant system than setting the order one by one for 100+ ships

Anyways, it is not a big problem if I blacklist Argon Prime for all traders, I have only 1 station there, and who cares about AI...

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Sun, 2. May 21, 04:03

Saphyra wrote:
Sun, 2. May 21, 03:37
As I said, the manager is 5 stars, and the pilots are about 3-5 stars (Depending their age). So I'm sure they can see farther than 1 sector.

Is it possible to set an order default for a group (Station's alpha group for me). I'd rather build a new station to a distant system than setting the order one by one for 100+ ships

Anyways, it is not a big problem if I blacklist Argon Prime for all traders, I have only 1 station there, and who cares about AI...
Sorry, i missed that part about manager stars. If you manager is 5, it doesn't matter what the pilots are individually.

I didn't see anything about resource probes. Try placing resource probes in higher yield areas, which should draw your miners to those sectors. Tharkas Cascade, the second deeper one, if cleared out of xenon, is resource rich. Second contact sectors are rich also.

Saphyra

Post by Saphyra » Sun, 2. May 21, 12:42

Well, I don't use resource probes (I have some of them, but not coverage). Why should I do, miners do their job without them... I deployed some of them anyways to Second Contact and Savage Spur sectors, let's see if miners notice it

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Sun, 2. May 21, 18:25

Saphyra wrote:
Sun, 2. May 21, 02:54
I have built a station in "The reach" dedicated for mining, and distributing resources to the factories (Most of them also located in "The reach")

I assigned about 150 gas/mineral transporters, there are Bolos, Drills, Magnetars, etc) to transport the mined resources to the factories.

The problem is: I'm still out of minerals. Gases are okay, (Except Methane, but the demand for that is also higher because of Terraforming)
I checked the resource availability, and Argon Prime is kind of out of everything. Info says there are 80k Ore and 55k Silicon.
One jump away, in "Second Contact II Flashpoint" there are 260k/220k, in "Second Contact VII" there are 7600k/7000k of them.
And many of my ships are still try to fill their cargo in Argon Prime, what takes ages.

Why don't they just go and mine, where there are stuff to mine? The station manager has 5 stars, and I think the captains are also above 3 stars, so they should "see" that far.

Is there any way to block Argon Prime for the miners? I don't think it is a good idea to blacklist it globally for all traders, Argon Prime is too important transit system for that.
My miners at Asteroid Belt that are assigned to the stations, going to the neighbouring sector to mine which is richer.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Sun, 2. May 21, 21:59

Saphyra wrote:
Sun, 2. May 21, 12:42
Well, I don't use resource probes (I have some of them, but not coverage). Why should I do, miners do their job without them... I deployed some of them anyways to Second Contact and Savage Spur sectors, let's see if miners notice it
Because if you spend some time to find good yeilds and drop probes, it will draw your miners to those sectors, and they will operate faster overall.

Midnitewolf

Post by Midnitewolf » Mon, 3. May 21, 21:49

Saphyra wrote:
Sun, 2. May 21, 02:54

Something to consider is it is possible the game thinks that it is faster to mine where there are less resources than to make another jump and it might be considering how hard a time ships have navigating on travel drive through asteroid fields and hell, even just getting through the gate.

Also, I had a similar issue where none of my miners would go to mine in Nopileos Fortune II from Nopileos Fortune VI despite it being much faster mining with the gate locations and the highway. I had to remove them from station control, set them to sector automine for a bit and let them fill up with ore, then reassign them to the stations. Oddly enough, as soon as I did that, quite a few of the miners I hadn't done this with started using Nopileos Fortune II. I am assuming it was a bug. Also had to do the same thing in two different play throughs. It was almost like I had to hold their hand for the first mining then once they learned that could mine in the new sector, they could mine it no problem.

Honestly I have fixed a lot of issues like that. Doesn't work all the time but for whatever odd reason, tricking the AI to do something, seems to work like 70% of the time. Probably bad coding to be honest.

Wheem
x4

Post by Wheem » Tue, 4. May 21, 17:00

grapedog wrote:
Sun, 2. May 21, 21:59
Saphyra wrote:
Because if you spend some time to find good yeilds and drop probes, it will draw your miners to those sectors, and they will operate faster overall.
Is there any trick to finding high yield areas, or do I have to just keep trying to manually place/recover a lot of resource probes all over the place? It seems like the maximum density for every area is set in stone, so to speak, and doesn't change from game-to-game, but I don't really have most of them memorized too well.

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Tue, 4. May 21, 17:48

Wheem wrote:
Tue, 4. May 21, 17:00
grapedog wrote:
Saphyra wrote:
Is there any trick to finding high yield areas, or do I have to just keep trying to manually place/recover a lot of resource probes all over the place? It seems like the maximum density for every area is set in stone, so to speak, and doesn't change from game-to-game, but I don't really have most of them memorized too well.
You do not have to do anything manually. Get a subordinate and set him to plop 10 probes with just 10 clicks.
The same way you put satellites on all stations.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Tue, 4. May 21, 18:31

Panos wrote:
Tue, 4. May 21, 17:48
Wheem wrote:
grapedog wrote:

You do not have to do anything manually. Get a subordinate and set him to plop 10 probes with just 10 clicks.
This is what i do, but ill do 15-20 probes dropped, 2-3 times over a sector. Takes a little time, just check back in on your ship every 20-30 minites to look at probe yeilds, then pick em all back up and drop em again unless you find a good spot.

Ill typically issue the pickup and drop orders together, so he goes from one into the next. Jist keep one probe not dropped so ypu can issue new drops. You don't need all picked up probes to drop a new set. As long as you have 1 probe in your inventory, you can issue 15 drop orders, as long as he collects 15 before he starts dropping.

Wheem
x4

Post by Wheem » Tue, 4. May 21, 20:26

grapedog wrote:
Tue, 4. May 21, 18:31
Panos wrote:
Tue, 4. May 21, 17:48
Wheem wrote:

This is what i do, but ill do 15-20 probes dropped, 2-3 times over a sector. Takes a little time, just check back in on your ship every 20-30 minites to look at probe yeilds, then pick em all back up and drop em again unless you find a good spot.

Ill typically issue the pickup and drop orders together, so he goes from one into the next. Jist keep one probe not dropped so ypu can issue new drops. You don't need all picked up probes to drop a new set. As long as you have 1 probe in your inventory, you can issue 15 drop orders, as long as he collects 15 before he starts dropping.
This is exactly what I do, and what I meant by "manually" dropping probes (I guess I should have said "manually order" my ships to drop them). It just gets pretty tedious, especially in sectors with large resource areas - I don't know of any way to determine which areas actually have worthwhile density. It's annoying to drop 20 probes and have a lot of them be literally devoid of resources, while most of the rest might as well be since the yields are so low.

Falchion_GPX
x4

Post by Falchion_GPX » Wed, 5. May 21, 18:53

1. Assign a or Observe that the mining ship's captain has at least a one-star rating.
2. Set miner to "Repeat Orders"
3. Select your mining ship, then at the rich mining spot, right-click in the desired area and mine for your target resource.
4. Have miner sell ore to a/your station, where the mining ship keeps nothing or set an appropriate amount of ore to keep, while setting a minimum price appropriately.
5. Profit.

aquatica
x4

Post by aquatica » Wed, 5. May 21, 22:37

Saphyra wrote:
Constantly it has been stated by at least one Mod here, that having resource probe increases the speed of collection if it is within 40km of the ship mining.
It will help, but won't save you from issues.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Wed, 5. May 21, 22:59

I initially had a very similar situation. I had a hull part complex in second contact flashpoint, with a few resources probes locally, as well as in Argon Prime and The Reach. The yields in Second Contact and Argon Prime's were abysmal, but some of the probes in The Reach were boasting yields of >6 ore/km³. Despite this, my manager kept sending it's miners to Argon Prime, with the poor results you know.

I simply removed the probes form Argon Prime, and suddenly all my miners were going to The Reach where they could mine happily and efficiently...
...and die en masse from Kha'ak raids...
But that's another story. :wink:

But now, I just use blacklists and whitelists, and it works even better. Miners go where they are wanted.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Return to “X4: Foundations”