Gravimetric Studies Docking Problem

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Areo
x4

Gravimetric Studies Docking Problem

Post by Areo » Sun, 25. Apr 21, 15:16

Hey,

Background: I started a new game, Cradle of Humanity Pioneer Start. I am now at the mission "Gravimetric Studies", where I shall deliver 10 Antimatter Cells to the Oberth.

Problem: I can't dock with my s-sized ship (the one that you get from the Boron) to deliver the cells. To be more precise, I seem to get into a docking queue, and need to wait. But I have been waiting a long time now, and there is visually no other ship I can see that actually tries to dock. Also, no ship is currently docked

Things I have tried:
  • request permission to dock and dock manually.
    > does not work. Sometimes I get the response "Docking queued", sometimes just nothing. No feedback upon trying to cancel docking
  • have a pilot flying the ship (with me being on it), and asking him to dock.
    > He'll just wait next to the ship with the docking command active as well.
  • have a pilot flying the ship (with me standing around on a station a few sectors away), and asking him to dock
    > Same as above
  • Asking the pilot to trade, instead of just docking
    > Same as above
  • Leaving the sector, coming back and trying to dock or let dock
    > No success
  • Restarting the game
    > No success
  • docking with a spacesuit
    > works just fine, doesn't help me though
  • ramming the oberth with my tiny s-ship
    > well, don't know what I expected, nothing changed though.
I'm not sure if it is a bug or not, I might just have to wait. I just don't see any actual queue. No ships are really around, those few that are, always just go to the nearby station. The whole trying process took quite some time, yet no ship actually trying to dock there appeared. None of my other ships (which is just a single one, trading ship) have the commands to dock there.

Any other thing I can do except for playing the game and hoping it will work some time later?
I'm quite new to the game (again), am I just overlooking something?

KextV8
x4

Re: Gravimetric Studies Docking Problem

Post by KextV8 » Sun, 25. Apr 21, 15:34

Try ordering the S to dock from out of sector. It might work then.

Areo
x4

Post by Areo » Sun, 25. Apr 21, 16:46

Thanks for the tip!
I have unfortunately tried that already, no success.

Additional information: I have now also seen, that the s stops the order, after it waited for some amount of time for docking permission and goes back to the default "wait" order. Not much to take from that, except an estimation about how long it tried to dock. Reordering the trading command afterwards had no success.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Sun, 25. Apr 21, 17:29

Try scanning the Oberoth to see if anything's weird with it. There really shouldn't be any problems.
Also if no one else has any other suggestions, you could always make a save, shooting it up until it doesn't take anymore damage, wait for it to go back to neutral and see what happens.
Btw, what's your PIO rank currently?

Areo
x4

Post by Areo » Sun, 25. Apr 21, 18:26

Scanning didn't show anything to me, but then again, maybe I don't know how to properly use the scanner. Used shift+2, and then just flew around the Oberth a bit. Nothing interesting to see.

I tried shooting as well, but I might be lacking a bit firepower. I'm still very early in the game. Shooting the ship barely scratched the shield. It gets to 99% and recharges faster than I can do dmg. Tried for several minutes, but I only get told "We can not tolerate your actions" or "Stop the attack immediately" - no consequences. Ship does not turn red. I then targeted the drive-submodule and destroyed it. They didn't care either. Some repair drones came out afterwards, I attacked and destroyed one. This one turned into an enemy shortly (became red), before it was destroyed. I also lost 1 point with the PIO, but no other effects on the Oberth itself.

I currently have the base rank with PIO, relation = +5 (+4 after killing the repair drone).

Edit: Scanning with shift+F, found out just now. Still nothing weird visible for me. It's command is: "Flying Wait"
Last edited by Areo on Sun, 25. Apr 21, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Sun, 25. Apr 21, 18:28

After shift-2 and getting close enough you can right click on it and there is a scan button there.
In that case no idea then. Tech support might be more helpful at this point, especially if a save and reload doesn't help at all.

Areo
x4

Post by Areo » Sun, 25. Apr 21, 18:43

That is were I will go then, I guess.

I edited my post before I read yours, but yeah I found out how to actually scan. It's command now is
Current order: Hold position
Command: Wait
Flying
Seems ok to me, nothing else jumps into my eye.

Thanks a lot for your time & help :)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 25. Apr 21, 18:45

I think the purpose of the scan was more to see if the Oberth was at all damaged, especially its S docking bays or if it was perhaps 'waiting for drones' as combat drones use the S bays.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Areo
x4

Post by Areo » Sun, 25. Apr 21, 18:57

Sorry for the stupid question then: how can I check that?
The overall health is 100%. If I click on information and then through the tabs: Information, Crew, Loadout I find no way of seeing any specific module health. When clicking around on the ship, I only can select shield generators or the engine. No docking bays. Also not there, where I expect the docking bay to be: rectangle on the top center of that circular ship-part, decorated with green lights around.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Sun, 25. Apr 21, 19:52

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 25. Apr 21, 18:45
I think the purpose of the scan was more to see if the Oberth was at all damaged, especially its S docking bays or if it was perhaps 'waiting for drones' as combat drones use the S bays.
I was thinking of the latter, as I don't think its docking bays is destructible? But yeah, looking more towards the commands to see if there is anything out of place.
Areo wrote:
Sun, 25. Apr 21, 18:57
Sorry for the stupid question then: how can I check that?
The overall health is 100%. If I click on information and then through the tabs: Information, Crew, Loadout I find no way of seeing any specific module health. When clicking around on the ship, I only can select shield generators or the engine. No docking bays. Also not there, where I expect the docking bay to be: rectangle on the top center of that circular ship-part, decorated with green lights around.
Does the docking bay have the red no docking sign? The red circle with the minus in the center?

Areo
x4

Post by Areo » Sun, 25. Apr 21, 20:05

It has a circle with 4 red lights around it at a point which looks to me like the actual docking adapter? Where the ship will be fixated. Can't see any minus though.

See picture uploaded to filehorst.de, if that helps.
Oberth_Docking_Bay

Cybermutant
x4

Post by Cybermutant » Mon, 3. May 21, 13:06

Hi there,

I'm currently experiencing the same problem, how did you fix this if is has been fixed for you? Cannot continue with the plot at the moment or restart the game entirely because I've been busy since the start of the quest.

Return to “X4: Foundations”