TER Engine acceleration / Bug or feature?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

slober
x4

TER Engine acceleration / Bug or feature?

Post by slober » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 21:47

I noticed that TER Engines reach top travel speed too fast if compare it to other factions...

I`m not sure but S class ships acceleration were better before and now a little bit slow.
And I don't understand it is a feature for TER engines or something happen to engines from other factions?

p.s. As a feature is ok. It is a good reason to use TER engines for some ships.

IRONOX
x4

Re: TER Engine acceleration / Bug or feature?

Post by IRONOX » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 21:52

And it is a feature
Alle Angaben mit Gewähr auf eventuelle Fehlerhaftigkeit!

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 21:55

Its a feature. The tradeoff for Terran engines being typically lower top speed than other races, is they have massive acceleration. On paper they look slow, in practice they work very well.

One dramatic downside though is that a lot of Terran cap ships only have a single engine, so they get halted very quickly if enemies get to their backside at all. And many of their ships are just slower than competing CW ships. Still good tho.
Last edited by KextV8 on Wed, 21. Apr 21, 21:59, edited 3 times in total.

al_dude
x4

Post by al_dude » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 21:56

I believe it is a feature along with 2x boost time.

In all other aspects, TER engines suck. It's got its applications.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 22:21

Very much a feature in my view. Think it's Egosoft's solution to how to make Terran engines feel distinctly different to all the rest; i.e. how to make them technologically advanced, but without stealing the Split engine's thunder. Split engines are still a hell of a lot faster if raw speed's all you're after. They do however now feel very crude in comparison - feel like they take an eternity to get up to speed once you've got used to the effortless acceleration of a Terran engine (particularly Falx, with it's ludicrous number of them).

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Thu, 22. Apr 21, 01:40

KextV8 wrote:
Wed, 21. Apr 21, 21:55
One dramatic downside though is that a lot of Terran cap ships only have a single engine, so they get halted very quickly if enemies get to their backside at all.
They might have a single engine, but it usually has some pretty heavy shielding to protect it from damage, especially if you are going high end loadout and so use TER's superior in every way that matters mk3 M shield generators.

Apparently the L and XL engines charge travel mode faster. Between that and the faster travel acceleration they are generally the fastest L and XL engines for going between sectors since few sector journeys are big enough for ARG engines to gain distance, or possibly even hit max speed.

sh1pman
x4

Post by sh1pman » Thu, 22. Apr 21, 01:46

Imperial Good wrote:
Thu, 22. Apr 21, 01:40
KextV8 wrote:
One dramatic downside though is that a lot of Terran cap ships only have a single engine, so they get halted very quickly if enemies get to their backside at all.
They might have a single engine, but it usually has some pretty heavy shielding to protect it from damage, especially if you are going high end loadout and so use TER's superior in every way that matters mk3 M shield generators.

Apparently the L and XL engines charge travel mode faster. Between that and the faster travel acceleration they are generally the fastest L and XL engines for going between sectors since few sector journeys are big enough for ARG engines to gain distance, or possibly even hit max speed.
After passing gates, L/XL ships quit travel mode for some time and maneuver around using normal mode. This can take up to 4 minutes before they start moving towards the next gate (or station), and this time depends on their normal speed, which is not great in case of TER engines. All in all, I found that for many-gate journeys TER engines give similar travel time to ARG and PAR engines.

al_dude
x4

Post by al_dude » Thu, 22. Apr 21, 02:23

Well, one clear advantage of TER engine is that you don't need many components to build them since everything is unified into using only 4 materials.

That's one clear advantage of using TER components.

Commonwealth engine would require engine parts and antimatter converter. Those two components also require hull parts and antimatter cells. And those two require basic resources.

Regardless, I still use ARG engines. Absolutely no reason NOT to use TER shields though. That removes some of commonwealth production lines, thank god.

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Thu, 22. Apr 21, 02:49

Imperial Good wrote:
Thu, 22. Apr 21, 01:40
KextV8 wrote:
Oh, they're beautiful. I've got my Syn going over 4k m/s in travel mode and it accelerates and drops out of travel so much better than the Behemoth I used to use back before CoH.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Thu, 22. Apr 21, 03:00

Its a feature for sure. I use TER enginea on all my personal ships now.... i cant imagine going back to clunky commonwealth tech.

Return to “X4: Foundations”