Miners? Traders? No thanks.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

KextV8
x4

Miners? Traders? No thanks.

Post by KextV8 » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 18:44

The real money is from being a Galactic Architect. Put my ship on the ring loop, accept every build mission. Design the station, give it enough credits to buy the goods and assign some random builder ship to build it. Then a few hours later the money starts rolling in. Such an easy way to get early rep and cash flow going.

Hector0x
x3tc

Re: Miners? Traders? No thanks.

Post by Hector0x » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 18:51

true, but with more parts you could build even quicker :)

Mining and trading only sucks if you just assign ships to stations and think it would work well. But it doesn't because half of your ships will always idle. Once you start to use Advanced automining fleets with mimic orders + Traders on repeat orders on custom routes your income skyrockets

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 19:10

If you're going to be doing a lot of build missions would recommend investing some of that cash in your own builder(s). Couple of reasons:
1. You can be sure they've got a good number of build drones, not always the case when hiring a random NPC builder.
2. Service crew seem to level up faster by building stations than any other activity. Well worth doing such missions simply to maintain a good supply of experienced crew ready to transfer to new ships, quite apart from any monetary or rep gain. Often get quite a lot of my pilots from this source too. Working on the builder ship gives them good morale & I can train them in Piloting with seminars - many, many times faster than waiting for them to learn on their own.

Fenris321
x4

Post by Fenris321 » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 19:19

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Wed, 21. Apr 21, 19:10
Service crew seem to level up faster by building stations than any other activity. Well worth doing such missions simply to maintain a good supply of experienced crew ready to transfer to new ships, quite apart from any monetary or rep gain. Often get quite a lot of my pilots from this source too. Working on the builder ship gives them good morale & I can train them in Piloting with seminars - many, many times faster than waiting for them to learn on their own.
I was going to say this also. What I do is only get service crew for builders (marines not needed) and after one decent sized build I have 219 maxed out service crew. Those are my stations though, not sure how big NPCs want their stations, might take more than one for them. Then I transfer them to my L Mining ships. Large Mining ships with maxed out service crew are magnitudes faster at mining than the random crew you get from stations.

al_dude
x4

Post by al_dude » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 19:56

Build Katana with the Terran beam weapon thingy.

It sells for 15m a pop. Obviously, you need some start up cash to be able to build those but, once you reach that level, credit is no longer an issue.

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 19:58

Fenris321 wrote:
Wed, 21. Apr 21, 19:19
not sure how big NPCs want their stations,
Most NPC stations they request me to build range from 3 modules(1 production, 1 storage, 1 dock), to maybe 7 modules if they want multiple storage/production.

Very small facilities.

And yeah I have my own builder working on it too, helps train crew. But your own builders are of limited value since only one builder can be working on a given station at once. I dont find that I ever need more than 2 or 3 personal build ships. I just hire out for the extra builders I need instead. Its like 50k a hire. And at any given time I probably have 10-12 stations being built for missions.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Fri, 23. Apr 21, 00:18

I'm also a big fan of this money-making method. Even now while I'm building my own shipyard supply lines, whenever I'm in need of a bit of cash, or whenever I have too much downtime I'll just look for construction missions.

You should also consider joining some war efforts. They will often offer missions for military bases for up to 15M-20M credits apiece, for 1 admin module, 3 defense modules and a few turrets.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 23. Apr 21, 01:02

All good and well and I use the same "method" for cash...
That said, I'd get an M trader or two not to trade but to bring resources to the building site(s). Just giving money and waiting for the NPC's to fill is too slow and risky, not to mention that in that case you always pay top price to get these things...

Wraith_Magus
x3tc

Post by Wraith_Magus » Fri, 23. Apr 21, 10:19

dtpsprt wrote:
Fri, 23. Apr 21, 01:02
All good and well and I use the same "method" for cash...
That said, I'd get an M trader or two not to trade but to bring resources to the building site(s). Just giving money and waiting for the NPC's to fill is too slow and risky, not to mention that in that case you always pay top price to get these things...
I would back this up saying that in my experience, at least, I'm ALWAYS having to send in one of my own traders to fill in the last few required goods, which are nearly always something like 200 shield components or 50 advanced electronics. I can get all the hull parts and claytronics I need from passing NPC traders, but they never supply those parts in my game for some reason.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Fri, 23. Apr 21, 10:35

Also prefer to supply my own building materials. Adding appropriate manufacturing facilities to my HQ is generally one of the things I aim to do relatively early in a new game. Once they're up & running I can pretty much automate the process of delivery to building sites (i.e. 'my faction only' blacklists for ships & trade rules for building sites). Although often still like to manually configure a trade run for an L with a mixed load containing a bit of everything (just to get the first couple of modules started ASAP). After that the automated deliveries can usually keep pace with construction.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 23. Apr 21, 12:01

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Fri, 23. Apr 21, 10:35
Also prefer to supply my own building materials. Adding appropriate manufacturing facilities to my HQ is generally one of the things I aim to do relatively early in a new game. Once they're up & running I can pretty much automate the process of delivery to building sites (i.e. 'my faction only' blacklists for ships & trade rules for building sites). Although often still like to manually configure a trade run for an L with a mixed load containing a bit of everything (just to get the first couple of modules started ASAP). After that the automated deliveries can usually keep pace with construction.
That is a wise thing to do, providing the build sites are no more than 5 jumps away... otherwise you are "in trouble".
My "preferred" method (if and when I reach at that industrial point) is to have Energy cells on the PHQ with an M trader "attached", 2 M Traders on the Hull Parts Factory and another 2 on the Claytronics Factory. This way they can fulfil all the "external" orders ASAP. The PHQ one that has only the Energy Cells to carry is usually buying the rest (for shields/turrets) as they are not big quantities anyway...

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 23. Apr 21, 12:13

KextV8 wrote:
Wed, 21. Apr 21, 19:58
Most NPC stations they request me to build range from 3 modules(1 production, 1 storage, 1 dock), to maybe 7 modules if they want multiple storage/production.

Very small facilities.

And yeah I have my own builder working on it too, helps train crew.
dtpsprt wrote:
I've gone one step further: I give no cash to the build site. My trader's haul everything.

On first phase I leave the Build Storage 10 Hull Parts short. That prevents the last module (Dock) from completing.
The build stalls. If turrets were requested, they complete in the earlier modules.
Then I add many more modules to the plan and deliver the 10 Hull Parts. The Dock completes. The mission completes and I get paid.
The NPC now offers NPC credits for the unfinished (and unrequested) parts of the station. Who is there to deliver? Me. :teladi:

I don't have any stations of my own. No ware production. All trade by MORTs.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Fri, 23. Apr 21, 14:00

jlehtone wrote:
Fri, 23. Apr 21, 12:13
Then I add many more modules to the plan and deliver the 10 Hull Parts. The Dock completes. The mission completes and I get paid.
The NPC now offers NPC credits for the unfinished (and unrequested) parts of the station. Who is there to deliver? Me. :teladi:
Lol, didn't even think of that. Brilliant.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 23. Apr 21, 15:36

jlehtone wrote:
Fri, 23. Apr 21, 12:13
KextV8 wrote:
Wed, 21. Apr 21, 19:58

Very small facilities.

And yeah I have my own builder working on it too, helps train crew.
dtpsprt wrote:
I've gone one step further: I give no cash to the build site. My trader's haul everything.

This is what I do too. Was just trying to "ease" the idea of bringing yourself the needed resources to the build site to people who (might?) have not thought about it...

Return to “X4: Foundations”