Wow, missiles and torps on fighters are pretty much a waste of time huh?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Midnitewolf

Wow, missiles and torps on fighters are pretty much a waste of time huh?

Post by Midnitewolf » Tue, 20. Apr 21, 05:17

I was just calculating the logistics behind using missile and torps it it just does not compute does it.

I am playing VRO with a couple of ship packs so I have this Light Carrier called a Shrike. It can carry 23 fighters total so I though, "Hey lets make a torpedo bomber tender out of it.".

However in its 25,000 cubic meter hold, I could only hold enough torps to reload 5 fighters and only reload those 5 one time before running out of materials.

So basically no point to even having torps in the game huh?

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Re: Wow, missiles and torps on fighters are pretty much a waste of time huh?

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Tue, 20. Apr 21, 05:44

Just the whole missile thing in general is handled very poorly. I had four Minotaurs protecting an Auxilliary vessel. They had missile launchers. In a fight with 4 Xenon M and 1 P they all exhausted their missiles and were still losing.

I had to step in, in my Katana. After the fight I sent all of them back to the wharf for a refit.

On the other hand. If I am capping SCA ships I am quite happy if they have missile turrets. Its almost inevitable, they will not have any missiles to fire at me. :)

I have seen video's showing attacks on Xenon capitals using torpedos to devastating effect. So a lot of bang for your buck.

Back in the real world. Imagine sending a carrier half way round the world, launching an attack, and then it having to return, to restock its missile supply.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

chip56

Post by chip56 » Tue, 20. Apr 21, 08:06

It gets worse with missles:
1) Equip them on ships: you run out of them before you can say "out of ammo"
2) Equip them on a station with tis own production. You would think that if you ahve virtually unlimited ammo you could use it for full effect right? Well try using a few dozen dumbfire missles with a range of 11km. And then watch how destroyers can still attack the station without getting any damage if you are OOS. Only when i teleport in the sector the dumbfires actually shoot and destroy any destroyers trying to bombard it. In that case they actually inflict some decent damage but having to teleport to a station whenever a non xenon destroyer attacks it is a bit off...

debstar2610
x4

Post by debstar2610 » Tue, 20. Apr 21, 12:05

A workaround

Assign M Ship with the three main required components in defense docked state.
Actually I name my trader ship with the ware it has.

In my Aux, it can store 10 M ship
10 m ship x 12000 m3 = 120 000 m3 storage!!

With the defend commander and docked. You can do manual trade ant they will automatically dock after the trade

You can also have support ware fleet or make a small outpost for long war campaign.

Alkeena
x4

Post by Alkeena » Tue, 20. Apr 21, 12:25

I actually enjoy the logistics gameplay, personally. Being stuck behind enemy lines and running low on ammo can be fun experience. Trying to arrange a resupply can often present interesting challenges.

That said I don't use standard missiles all that much. Torps are well worth their weight though as it's very easy to cripple enemy caps with them.

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Tue, 20. Apr 21, 13:42

I dont use S ships in general. They aren't worth the upkeep from losses.

A missile M can be okayish, but I like the hassle-free life of just putting guns on them anyway. Missile in this game are far too slow for me to bother with them. Those things need to be going at least 1,000 m/s before ill touch them. Anything slow enough to hit with the missiles we have, is slow enough to nail with our guns, which do more damage per second in practice than missiles anyway.

I miss the m8s and m7ms from X3:TC/AP. Those missiles actually had bite to them.

Midnitewolf

Post by Midnitewolf » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 22:35

Alkeena wrote:
Tue, 20. Apr 21, 12:25
I actually enjoy the logistics gameplay, personally. Being stuck behind enemy lines and running low on ammo can be fun experience. Trying to arrange a resupply can often present interesting challenges.

That said I don't use standard missiles all that much. Torps are well worth their weight though as it's very easy to cripple enemy caps with them.
Its not as much about wanting unlimited ammo, it is about wanting a limited supply of ammo that is reasonable for the mission. If I have 20 torpedo bombers on my Raptor lets say, I would probably want at least 3-5 reloads of torpedoes available for them to make it worthwhile and I would expect my Aux ship to be able to resupply my Carrier with 3-5 more reloads and be able to repair my fleet because that is what a AUX ship is for.

I also tried to bypass some of these issues by turning my AUX ship into a Torpedo Bomber Tender but much to my dismay and lack of logical thinking on the Devs part, I found that an AUX ship can't actually resupply fighters assigned to itself....I mean seriously, WTF? I can assign fighters to another ship and they can dock and rearm but if I assign them to the AUX ship, while they can dock, they can't rearm....WHO THE HELL CAME UP WITH THIS BS!!!???

There are just so many things that are frustrating about this game.

Alkeena
x4

Post by Alkeena » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 23:44

20 torpedo bombers would insta-nuke any ship in the game. Additionally they could do it roughly ~15 times before needing to reload. You're asking to be able to kill like 100 capital ships before you need to restock. That seems a bit excessive to me, tbh.

I do play with VRO, which I know expands cargo sizes so I could easily be underestimating the problem in vanilla. Still, needing to restock 20 ships with 15 torpedoes 5 times over is not a far cry from saying you'd like to have unlimited ammo.

Agreed on the Aux ship issues with assigned fighters though, that is a tad silly.

Return to “X4: Foundations”