Should Wreckage be destructable by weapons fire?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Scoob
x4

Should Wreckage be destructable by weapons fire?

Post by Scoob » Sun, 11. Apr 21, 00:22

Hey all,

Just pondering this one again as I watch Capital ships - not mine - totally fail to destroy a station as they're failing to manoeuvre around it to gain a firing solution on surviving modules. What I'm seeing, and this is far from uncommon, are already destroyed modules acting as an invulnerable shield to remaining modules.

Now, ideally, ships would manoeuvre around to get proper LoS on their target Module. That's a given. However, if the wreckage of an already destroyed module wasn't invulnerable to further damage, this issue would literally just go away. Sure, let's have a glorious explosion when a station modules dies, leaving a smouldering wreckage behind. Great. However, if further hits land this wreckage should blow up again, albeit with a little less boom, if you see what I mean.

In essence, when a Module is replaced by the Wreckage version, this model should also have a hit point pool - let's say 10% of the "live" module for arguments sake - then, any further hits on the now Wrecked module will eventually destroy it.

Story: an Asgard with supporting fleet flew through one of my Sectors, so I hitched a ride. It eventually made its way to a Xenon sector and started killing various ships before finally starting on a Station. The Asgard lost all of it's supporting fleet, but it still survives. It's destroyed roughly half the station, but has - in the space of well over an hour - totally failed to fly around the other side to finish off the remaining modules. it just keeps doing micro-manoeuvres, getting nowhere. While it's landing a LOT of fire on the Xenon Station, most of it is hitting already destroyed modules. These modules have managed to rebuild a number of times and only then to the blow up again...but of course leaving an invulnerable wreck once more.

I think destructible wreckage would be a game-change in regards to the AI's effectiveness at taking down Stations In Sector. What do people think? I of course have not idea how easy it may or may not be to assign hit points to wreckage and make it vulnerable to fire, so maybe this would be harder than getting the AI to behave, I don't know lol. Still, something to think about.

Scoob.

Return to “X4: Foundations”