Are some "find resources" missions literally impossible now?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Wheem
x4

Are some "find resources" missions literally impossible now?

Post by Wheem » Sat, 27. Mar 21, 17:40

I have a mission to find an ore level of approximately 5.6 in Grand Exchange I, and it seems to be basically impossible to complete. The vast majority of the areas that I've had my AI controlled ships dropping resource probes in have had a level of < 1, with the highest I've found being just over 4. I've sent ships to drop probes in various different parts of the map, picking them back up when resource levels were really low (which was common), and it's getting rather frustrating. Is it possible that there's literally no part of Grand Exchange I that has a level of ore that's high enough to satisfy the quest? Is there a particular portion of the map that may have higher resource levels that I should focus on?
Spoiler
Show
The best area that I've found so far had an "ore level" of approximately 4, and was just a little bit "south" of the player HQ area. I've tried dropping many more probes in that vicinity, but can't find any better density than what I spotted initially. There's an area really far to the south east portion of the map, which I only know about because antimatter cell producers can sometimes be spawned in there, which might have a higher resource density? I haven't gone to check there yet this game, but maybe it would be worthwhile?

Matthew94
xr

Re: Are some "find resources" missions literally impossible now?

Post by Matthew94 » Sat, 27. Mar 21, 17:46

Seems like it. Mining was deemed too fun so they had to nerf it and break everything associated with it.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Sat, 27. Mar 21, 18:05

Hard to say tbh.
I was having trouble with SC2Flashpoint trying to find that one patch of Ice with 10. The highest found before that was 4.
Had to drop resource beacons on almost the whole map before finding it at the southeastern tip with a value of 20.
So just keep trying. Its probably somewhere stupid.

Wheem
x4

Post by Wheem » Sat, 27. Mar 21, 18:38

I went to the area mentioned in the above spoiler and dropped some resource probes, but didn't have any luck with the level of density there. I also continued sending scout ships to follow the "snaking" resource areas around the sector, but ore density was pretty much always < 1. Even flying a little over 2,000 kilometers away from my player HQ to the "southwest" didn't help - resource density was always extremely low along the way (the probe sometimes being completely blank, even in an asteroid field). While it's possible that there's some tiny patch of 5.67 (or higher) ore somewhere within the "normal" part of the zone, I'm finding it hard to believe given the typical numbers that I'm seeing.

taztaz502
x4

Post by taztaz502 » Sat, 27. Mar 21, 18:56

i've found some to be impossible to be fair.

A lot of missions out there that aren't really worth the effort, e.g. destroy 30 station turrets on a xenon station, good luck. You'll be better of killing the station. :lol:

or 30 criminal traffic at a station, not so bad when it's 3-4 and the mission actually spawns them in. but the +30 didn't seem to spawn any in, i'm not waiting 3 days to kill 30 criminals for a million credits.

But missions are bugged still anyway you can just accept more missions and you'll get rewards from WAR missions, trade guild missions, HAT etc.

Infinite miners, seminars, exceptional upgrades and paint jobs for everyone!

(By the way i've mentioned this in technical forums twice now i think and this exploit has been in game since launch afaik..)

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Sat, 27. Mar 21, 19:03

taztaz502 wrote:
Sat, 27. Mar 21, 18:56

A lot of missions out there that aren't really worth the effort, e.g. destroy 30 station turrets on a xenon station, good luck. You'll be better of killing the station. :lol:

or 30 criminal traffic at a station, not so bad when it's 3-4 and the mission actually spawns them in. but the +30 didn't seem to spawn any in, i'm not waiting 3 days to kill 30 criminals for a million credits.

But missions are bugged still anyway you can just accept more missions and you'll get rewards from WAR missions, trade guild missions, HAT etc.

(By the way i've mentioned this in technical forums twice now i think and this exploit has been in game since launch afaik..)
You can accept multiple missions from the same guild now?

taztaz502
x4

Post by taztaz502 » Sat, 27. Mar 21, 19:04

Raptor34 wrote:
Sat, 27. Mar 21, 19:03
taztaz502 wrote:

You can if you travel to a different sector, if you accept another factions WAR mission it resets so you can accept infinite missions in a loop so you don't even need to leave the sector.

I should mention it doesn't give credits as a reward, but it does give the end ware reward like seminars, mineral miners etc.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Sat, 27. Mar 21, 19:05

taztaz502 wrote:
Sat, 27. Mar 21, 19:04
Raptor34 wrote:
Sat, 27. Mar 21, 19:03
taztaz502 wrote:

You can if you travel to a different sector, if you accept another factions WAR mission it resets so you can accept infinite missions in a loop so you don't even need to leave the sector.

I should mention it doesn't give credits as a reward, but it does give the end ware reward like seminars, mineral miners etc.
So only if you alternate it? Huh.

taztaz502
x4

Post by taztaz502 » Sat, 27. Mar 21, 19:06

Yeah so accept an argon Vs xenon then a HAT, then rince and repeat.

geldonyetich
x4

Post by geldonyetich » Sat, 27. Mar 21, 19:23

I did a bunch of them in 4.0 beta 10-11, but it could be you had the bad luck to draw a dud. It's also possible you waited too long and the ore was mined under a level in which that could be found. Ore regenerates over time, but given the high traffic of Grand Exchange I, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Sat, 27. Mar 21, 19:35

Although these at least can be dealt with, somewhat.
The bigger problem is whether all those maintenance upkeep missions for your miners scale.

MSterling
x4

Post by MSterling » Sat, 27. Mar 21, 20:55

geldonyetich wrote:
Sat, 27. Mar 21, 19:23
I did a bunch of them in 4.0 beta 10-11, but it could be you had the bad luck to draw a dud. It's also possible you waited too long and the ore was mined under a level in which that could be found. Ore regenerates over time, but given the high traffic of Grand Exchange I, I wouldn't hold my breath.
I think the mission does check the levels of spawn in the sector. The second number, the number indicating "sector full", not the first one indicating the amount still there, is used for mission decisions. So if you have utterly mined out a 14km3 silicon mine, your resource probe will show

Silicon 0.0 / (14.0) km3

Wheem
x4

Post by Wheem » Sun, 28. Mar 21, 01:26

MSterling wrote:
Sat, 27. Mar 21, 20:55
geldonyetich wrote:
Sat, 27. Mar 21, 19:23
I think the mission does check the levels of spawn in the sector. The second number, the number indicating "sector full", not the first one indicating the amount still there, is used for mission decisions. So if you have utterly mined out a 14km3 silicon mine, your resource probe will show

Silicon 0.0 / (14.0) km3
Hmm, then I suppose the mission completion should also take into account the maximum potential, rather than only what's currently available. I'll need to check and see the maximum potential for Grand Exchange I, but no matter how many probes I drop, or where I drop them, I was never able to find more than 4.3 currently available, and most areas were < 1.

easternsun

Post by easternsun » Mon, 29. Mar 21, 23:47

It's because in their wisdom they nerfed mining yields and made resource probe missions required but never added a mechanic to find good resource locations. Cart before the horse.

Raevyan
x4

Post by Raevyan » Tue, 30. Mar 21, 01:08

It’s mostly fine if you do the following things:

1) forget about resource yield finding missions
2) forget about resource probes

solarie99
x4

Post by solarie99 » Tue, 30. Mar 21, 01:21

rene6740 wrote:
Tue, 30. Mar 21, 01:08
It’s mostly fine if you do the following things:

1) forget about resource yield finding missions
2) forget about resource probes
better yet foget X4 all to gether and play X3 :D

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Tue, 30. Mar 21, 01:59

You can also get a Scout Ship, fill it with resource Probes and order it on the Map Interface to plop them all over the sector until you find the amount you're looking for.
Keep the probes there for later "Find X Number resources" missions, fly to the probe, deactivate probe, collect and then drop again, faster/less tedious way to mission complete.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Maxila
x4

Post by Maxila » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 18:34

I just started a new game, I have 1200 + hours playing X4 I know how to scan and drop resource probes. In my current find "Ore Yield of ??" mission the asteroid Fields are limited I have EVERY inch covered by a resource probes and the yield the mission asks for doesn't come close to existing in the entire sector. Yes, I know I have to drop another probe while active in the mission and I've done that too in the best yeild areas that exist but the yield simply isn't in the sector. WTF Devs how long does the game need to be out before you can fix crap like this????? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

P.S. I wanted the mod reward this mission offered that's why I tried so hard to complete it.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 21:54

Maxila wrote:
Thu, 25. Nov 21, 18:34
P.S. I wanted the mod reward this mission offered that's why I tried so hard to complete it.
Maybe you can still get that.. once i had a seemingly impossible resource mission: after having my ships lay a beacon grid without results i sent some scouts to follow AI miners of the needed type in the area, dropped a beacon when they stopped to mine and got the yield pretty quickly.
Those guys go for the best resource spots i think. Happened some time ago so miner AI might have changed since but worth a try.

Maxila
x4

Post by Maxila » Sat, 1. Jan 22, 20:08

To follow up, some time later I found an area that was already covered buy a resource probe, did not have the required resource density, none the less I dropped another probe there because ships were mining the area and the mission completed. Funny thing was the probe still didn't show the necessary density to complete the mission but it did complete.

Return to “X4: Foundations”