Are some "find resources" missions literally impossible now?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

solarie99
x4

Re: Are some "find resources" missions literally impossible now?

Post by solarie99 » Tue, 30. Mar 21, 01:21

rene6740 wrote:
Tue, 30. Mar 21, 01:08
It’s mostly fine if you do the following things:

1) forget about resource yield finding missions
2) forget about resource probes
better yet foget X4 all to gether and play X3 :D

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Tue, 30. Mar 21, 01:59

You can also get a Scout Ship, fill it with resource Probes and order it on the Map Interface to plop them all over the sector until you find the amount you're looking for.
Keep the probes there for later "Find X Number resources" missions, fly to the probe, deactivate probe, collect and then drop again, faster/less tedious way to mission complete.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Maxila
x4

Post by Maxila » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 18:34

I just started a new game, I have 1200 + hours playing X4 I know how to scan and drop resource probes. In my current find "Ore Yield of ??" mission the asteroid Fields are limited I have EVERY inch covered by a resource probes and the yield the mission asks for doesn't come close to existing in the entire sector. Yes, I know I have to drop another probe while active in the mission and I've done that too in the best yeild areas that exist but the yield simply isn't in the sector. WTF Devs how long does the game need to be out before you can fix crap like this????? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

P.S. I wanted the mod reward this mission offered that's why I tried so hard to complete it.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 21:54

Maxila wrote:
Thu, 25. Nov 21, 18:34
P.S. I wanted the mod reward this mission offered that's why I tried so hard to complete it.
Maybe you can still get that.. once i had a seemingly impossible resource mission: after having my ships lay a beacon grid without results i sent some scouts to follow AI miners of the needed type in the area, dropped a beacon when they stopped to mine and got the yield pretty quickly.
Those guys go for the best resource spots i think. Happened some time ago so miner AI might have changed since but worth a try.

Maxila
x4

Post by Maxila » Sat, 1. Jan 22, 20:08

To follow up, some time later I found an area that was already covered buy a resource probe, did not have the required resource density, none the less I dropped another probe there because ships were mining the area and the mission completed. Funny thing was the probe still didn't show the necessary density to complete the mission but it did complete.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 1. Jan 22, 20:42

@ Maxila: That's probably the 'some time later' bit at work (after 9 months or so?). I believe that in one of the updates the density requirement for miner upkeep missions was to be removed from such mission briefings and now you just have to find a 'suitable' mining density to complete such upkeep missions. Maybe find resources missions have been changed a bit too. Of course missions already in progress would still have the original briefing stored in the save even though the completion criteria might have changed.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

builder680
x4

Post by builder680 » Sun, 2. Jan 22, 18:27

The way I use resource probes is my miners are all built with at least a few in their consumable inventory, and I'll assign them to a station to mine. Then where they go I add a probe to that location and move the order above the mine order, so it drops the probe first and then mines right next to it. I will check on the miners every hour or two and see if any are mining in a location without a probe. If so I have him drop a probe right next to where he's mining. Over time, you will have a network of probes that help your miners mine faster without having to randomly place any of them. In The Reach (current Star Wars playthrough), I have a three dimensional grid of high density ore spots.

You can have a similar situation when you are trying to find resources for these kinds of missions. Set an unassigned miner to sector automine for the resource in question and let the AI find it. It may not find one right away or ever, but it's better than just randomly dropping probes. If it doesn't find you the yield you need, just pick the probe up and abandon the mission or let it mine for long enough to find multiple locations, one of which might be good enough.

Agouti
x4

Post by Agouti » Sun, 29. Jan 23, 08:11

Thread necromancy, but I had the same problem and google led me here.

In my instance, it was Eighteen Billion and the mission wanted 0.25/km3 which was nowhere on map (already had it covered). As an experiment, I had an AI ship follow the gas seam off the edge of the default explored area and start dropping probes - and that was the answer. There is also a station off the map in the same area. Quite handy, as it was a new, closer area for my Grand Exchange mining base to use.

So, for anyone else having this same frustration - follow a resource seam off the edge of the map and drop some resource probes along the way. X4 will happily hide important things off the edges of maps, and the only way to find them is (usually) either manually exploring (inc. Long Range Scan) or missions which take you off the edge.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Sun, 29. Jan 23, 21:13

Considering this thread was started nearly 2 years ago, and there have been many updates to the game since then, most of the responses are probably out of date. Anyone with something new to report should do so in a new thread. This thread is now closed.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X4: Foundations”