Anyone else would be willing to pay for new ships designs DLC?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Mr.Freud
x4

Anyone else would be willing to pay for new ships designs DLC?

Post by Mr.Freud » Mon, 15. Mar 21, 09:57

IMO: Split ships and Terran ships are gorgeous.
I don't know how designing new ships works but I would guess that at least it costs some amount of money to hire people to do it. I know that Egosoft is small, independent team and even though our community has been growing lately - which I'm personally very happy about - it's still rather small too.
Now, ship designs have been something we discussed ever since game was released and many of us (at least it's an impression I have) would love to see redesign of base game race ships. And Split and Terran DLCs proved that it's possible!
We all love Egosoft. X2 was one of the first PC games I played when I got my first PC and ever since then I've been X' series fan. I would gladly support Egosoft with my money and see it grow and prosper. And even though nowadays people hate the "paid DLC" thing, I personally see no problem with paying for "cosmetic" content such as redesign of ships for base game races.

What do you think guys?
p.s. I would make a poll but I don't know how to do it.

NightmareNight91
x4

Re: Anyone else would be willing to pay for new ships designs DLC?

Post by NightmareNight91 » Mon, 15. Mar 21, 10:08

Yes, id sell my star citizen ships for a X4 vanilla faction redesign in a heart beat...

taztaz502
x4

Post by taztaz502 » Mon, 15. Mar 21, 10:27

Yeah please, aslong as some thought actually goes into it.

I mean terran ships are amazing, but some just look so out of place like the S class ships. They look like a completely different design almost alien compared to their L/XL counterparts.

It's like they were pulled from another faction or subfaction e.g. pirates or xenon.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Mon, 15. Mar 21, 11:02

Id probably pay for a ship pack if it had a fair amoumt of new ship designs. More choice is always good!

Poacher886
x4

Post by Poacher886 » Mon, 15. Mar 21, 11:08

I would prefer 'ships added' than redesigned.

Missile frigates for one!!!

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Mon, 15. Mar 21, 11:34

Yes I would pay for a ship pack DLC. Specifically the game is lacking in XL battleships for the main factions, I would like to see that fixed.

I would also pay for more expanded interiors for large ships.

Bozz11
x4

Post by Bozz11 » Mon, 15. Mar 21, 11:47

Yes ! this would be the easiest DLC to make for egosoft right now ! add new ships for the Paranid argon teladi and Xenons !
Split and Terran ships are clearly far far better looking than the others !

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 15. Mar 21, 12:59

The only acceptable way would be to have DLC4 (after obviously DLC3 with Borons) would be something like that:

"Pirates & Corporations"
Each race gets a corporation or two and pirate clan or two as a factions.
Each got unique HQ + some kind of rudimentary economy + unique ship variants from existing race ships.
As always more sectors.

This would be a DLC I'd be willing to pay.

However it would be hard to combine with other DLC, as some content would be locked behind other DLCs (albeit it would be good encouragement to buy them).

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Mon, 15. Mar 21, 13:18

Count me in... but only if it is DLC4 with DLC3 the Borons...
Willing to buy then right now if the sequence is to be kept!!!

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Mon, 15. Mar 21, 23:22

taztaz502 wrote:
Mon, 15. Mar 21, 10:27
Yeah please, aslong as some thought actually goes into it.

I mean terran ships are amazing, but some just look so out of place like the S class ships. They look like a completely different design almost alien compared to their L/XL counterparts.

It's like they were pulled from another faction or subfaction e.g. pirates or xenon.
I'm kinda wondering that myself.
All the other faction's scout ships: sleek and low profile
Terran scout ships: HUGE cross section, great for getting shot at.
The Teladi are known for creating a standardized currency, ship insurance, and insurance fraud.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Mon, 15. Mar 21, 23:47

Nope, if original ships are to be redone it should be free, no other way. They already have money from us for those ships. Not our fault they changed the quality between dlc and original ships. Up to them to bring old assets upto par with the new.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Tue, 16. Mar 21, 00:43

Skeeter wrote:
Mon, 15. Mar 21, 23:47
Nope, if original ships are to be redone it should be free, no other way. They already have money from us for those ships. Not our fault they changed the quality between dlc and original ships. Up to them to bring old assets upto par with the new.
I do agree with you when it comes to the older ships, they shouldn't charge to "update" them. However, I would absolutely pay for new ships. If they offered a ship pack with tons of new cool ships, I would buy it in a second. Of course, I have money to spare so I don't mind dropping it.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Tue, 16. Mar 21, 01:13

Ah now, how many are we talking. 5 per race, what roles will they be, how will you balance them, how do you not make old ships redundant. These are what ego will be wondering. Also, what if you complain that just a few are nice but the others are copy n paste or not that nice, would you complain? Lets say they added more mushroom teladi ships that dont look that much better? Or ship stats are copy n paste of two different scouts but same or almost similar stats?
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Tue, 16. Mar 21, 01:52

Skeeter wrote:
Tue, 16. Mar 21, 01:13
Ah now, how many are we talking. 5 per race, what roles will they be, how will you balance them, how do you not make old ships redundant. These are what ego will be wondering. Also, what if you complain that just a few are nice but the others are copy n paste or not that nice, would you complain? Lets say they added more mushroom teladi ships that dont look that much better? Or ship stats are copy n paste of two different scouts but same or almost similar stats?
If you are talking to me, I don't care honestly. If someone were to ask me what I would like though, I would like ships to be more specific for interesting roles. Something like the Balor from Rebirth would be great, more battleships would be nice, maybe some cruiser type ships would be nice. Bombers would be a great addition (Real bomber focused ships). I am not very picky about this though.

ColonelBoom
x4

Post by ColonelBoom » Tue, 16. Mar 21, 01:54

I would like to see it as well. Not all ships need it but some capital ships and a few S/M-ships could need some looking at.
For example the Teladi capitals having no visible bridges is weird even so the bridges themselves look good. Or the Odysseus looking fat with its weird proportions rounded up with its bulky 2 L-turrets at its boot.

I understand why things were done like this with the docking areas and turrets etc., but i could imagine there being improvement.

MHDriver
x4

Post by MHDriver » Tue, 16. Mar 21, 02:38

I would be interested as long as it wasn't the typical kitbash. All one has to do is spend a few minutes searching sci-fi ship designs on Artstation or Pinterest to see how outdated X4 ships are.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Tue, 16. Mar 21, 03:11

Nope ..

Though supporting Egosoft with more cash would not be a problem.

The problem would be in the amount of work we would be asking of the small part of Devs (the modelling team) to do.

I have seen Linolafett elsewhere mention that working on just one ship model takes literally months of work.

Simple Aesthetics asside they still have to consider balance, turret positions / angles, scripting of animations, players and races interracting with the cockpit / walkways, docking of fighters or traders, target audience machines memory / spec budgets, and least of which whether the overall design fits in thematically with the race its designed for.

I would rather they spend their limited modellers artistic time on bug fixing what we already have and complete the game (with all DLCs) being bug free.

Honestly I didn't like the design change of ships to previous X series designs, but knowing the resistance to change is a natural human nature thing I gave them a while .. And found though I am still not a fan of some design changes, most of them have grown on me. Particularly the feeling of how awesome a lot of them look landing / taking off from stations we can now walk around. The designs feel like a Techno / Industrial influence.
Last edited by alt3rn1ty on Tue, 16. Mar 21, 03:30, edited 1 time in total.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Tue, 16. Mar 21, 03:30

I would pay for anything egosoft feed me unless they manage to push me away with more 'boron avoidance'.
alt3rn1ty wrote:
Tue, 16. Mar 21, 03:11
I have seen Linolafett elsewhere mention that working on just one ship model takes literally months of work.
That doesnt surprise me. My ship mod took me probably 500 hours and I spent probably 30% of the time kitbashing vanilla ships (and I still dont consider it finished, AT ALL. Its not good enough to compare to vanilla ships).
alt3rn1ty wrote:
Tue, 16. Mar 21, 03:11
Honestly I didn't like the design change of ships to previous X series designs, but knowing the resistance to change is a natural human nature thing I gave them a while .. And found though I am still not a fan of some design changes, most of them have grown on me. Particularly the feeling of how awesome a lot of them look landing / taking off from stations we can now walk around. The designs feel like a Techno / Industrial influence.
Im a person that loves change and iteration so I was happy to see the complete avoidance of X3 in Rebirth, and Im also happy to see the total change of the Argon in X4. I want things to evolve and get iterated upon. I obviously love X3 and its ships and specifically its ship variety, I made 6 or so of them in Albion Prelude, but I dont want egosoft to be stuck in 'x3 mode' because it is dated and archaic. I think the Paranid capitals in X4 are the weakest of the games ship models, and they are also the closest to X3's models in the game - ships like the Zeus are slightly updated X3 models, and I think the choice to use X3 models to save time lead egosoft on a 'lazy' path with the Paranid - rather than thinking of something new and evolved they just stuck with x3 paranid, leading to Paranid L ships as a whole being incredibly weak from a aesthetic point of view. The Paranid aesthetics could be amazing if they were updated. Look at 'Apotheosis'... same goes for any of the games races (and I say races... I want some Rebirth thinking in X4. 'Races' dont design spaceships, companies and individuals do).

frisonic
x4

Post by frisonic » Tue, 16. Mar 21, 04:11

clear answer yes absolute in a heart beat :)

abisha1980
x4

Post by abisha1980 » Tue, 16. Mar 21, 06:18

i made a topic about this last year, kind of suggested they outsourced some thing's so the gamers "us" can get more content
which is good for us and them. because that's the only thing missing in this game more content.

at should at least grow around 50GB till they can stop with adding outsourced content
Retail investor, η+18,9% 2022 (η+7.1% 2023) (η+0,74 2024) 95% in bonds.
Young people don't be freaking stupid invest also (not in BTC but in real stocks)

Return to “X4: Foundations”