About Terraforming (General info + concrete preconditions)

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gregory
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

About Terraforming (General info + concrete preconditions)

Post by Gregory » Thu, 28. Jan 21, 14:43

It's been more than two full years since X4: Foundations was released, and many of you have played the game for hundreds of hours. We couldn't be happier about this! If you've been asking yourself what else you could possibly do in X4: Foundations, then read on, because this is specifically for you.

For those of you with an abundance of spare resources, we’re adding a new end-game activity in 4.00. This involves initiating projects for planetary improvements, including several types of infrastructure development, with the aim of making specific planets more habitable. We're calling this "Terraforming" and you may already have heard us talk about it in our gamescom 2020 live-stream.

In terms of gameplay, you will be undertaking new missions that serve as entry points to the Terraforming feature. Settlements will form, and landscapes can be changed through the investment of time and resources. And, as if the thought of shaping the universe wasn't exciting enough, there may even be other rewards involved.

Just to be clear about one thing – you won't be landing on any planets! You will, however, have a closer involvement with them than you have ever had in any X series game to date. We would love to hear your experiences with this new feature, especially if you're one of those end-game pilots.

Want to check this new element out ahead of the public release of the 4.00 update? You can by participating in the currently running 4.00 beta phase. Just visit our forum for an instruction on how to do so.

How to terraform
While we normally rely on your urge to discover things for yourselves, and don't want to give too much away, we thought that a little bit of guidance on this feature wouldn't go amiss.
Spoiler
Show
Once you've finished all your teleportation research, you need to continue by researching high-mass teleportation. A few minutes after the initial experiment, Boso Ta will call you about a new idea. Talking to him about it will add a number of mission offers.

In order to terraform, you will need to:
  • have a module to construct M and S ships on your HQ
  • have storage capabilities for container, solid and liquid wares on your HQ
  • accept a terraforming mission
  • teleport the HQ to the sector specified by the mission briefing
  • open the terraforming menu (this is new icon at the top of the screen) and select a project to work on
Once started, construction and delivery are automatic as long as the required resources are provided.
As usual, please use the Public Beta Feedback forum to provide feedback on your experiences.
All our channels in one convenient list :arrow: https://linktr.ee/egosoft

taztaz502
x4

Re: About Terraforming (General info + concrete preconditions)

Post by taztaz502 » Thu, 28. Jan 21, 17:11

:roll:

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 28. Jan 21, 20:09

@ all: Please note that this is not the appropriate thread for Terraforming bug reports. Please post them in a Public Beta forum thread.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Waltz9

Post by Waltz9 » Fri, 29. Jan 21, 13:39

this is a new feature and did read a lot about it but I do not get the benefits you gain from it yet.
Will have to focus more on this to know I guess.

EmperorDragon
x4

Post by EmperorDragon » Fri, 29. Jan 21, 14:53

Waltz9 wrote:
Fri, 29. Jan 21, 13:39
this is a new feature and did read a lot about it but I do not get the benefits you gain from it yet.
Will have to focus more on this to know I guess.
I found this in the beta thread, don't know if it's accurate.
gav622007 wrote:
Thu, 28. Jan 21, 17:11
(Mission reward)Reduced Xenon activity
(Mission reward)Reduced pirate activity
(Mission reward)Antigone Republic moves in, stops expanding
(Mission reward)Unknown, perhaps nothing
(Mission reward)A warm and fuzzy feeling deep inside
(Mission reward)A new market for Nividium
It doesn't really help me much to be honest, to summarize:

Reduced Xenon activity - I want the opposite. I am actually trying to coax them into building up their numbers and attack me. Still a viable reward I suppose.
Reduced pirate activity - Their rep is still locked so it's pretty pointless where they go or what they do. They only exist to provide me with free build materials.
Antigone Republic moves in, stops expanding - No Antigone Republic in my territory.
Unknown, perhaps nothing - Maybe this is the actual reward we don't know about yet?
A warm and fuzzy feeling deep inside - The REAL reward!
A new market for Nividium - And a sink for oversupplied resources perhaps?
“To be the first to enter the cosmos, to engage, single-handed, in an unprecedented duel with nature - could one dream of anything more?” - Yuri Gagarin

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 29. Jan 21, 15:20

So, speculation about another player's speculations - and you don't know if it's accurate. :lol: (Yes, I'm not sure why speculations are being made in the beta feedback forum either.)
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

tok99
x4

Post by tok99 » Fri, 29. Jan 21, 15:31

well seems all pretty useless.

New Resource Spawn would be nice, so u can build in areas where are no ores or gas yet or expanding resourcource fields.
Or at low chance you get a new ingame sector at example Argon Prime II, Argon Prime III an so on.

Teladi CEO

Post by Teladi CEO » Fri, 29. Jan 21, 15:55

tok99 wrote:
Fri, 29. Jan 21, 15:31

New Resource Spawn would be nice, so u can build in areas where are no ores or gas yet or expanding resourcource fields.
Or at low chance you get a new ingame sector at example Argon Prime II, Argon Prime III an so on.
In the beta planet population effects the efficiency of a station. So if you build a station at Argon prime it has (not actual number) 1250% efficiency. Everything is much faster to be produced. So terraforming and colonizing a world would provide a boost in ratio to population
We don’t know what paradise is like, but probably it’s blue magenta, flecked with pink. But even if it’s green and red-checked we should make the most of it. -Boron saying

tok99
x4

Post by tok99 » Fri, 29. Jan 21, 16:05

Teladi CEO wrote:
Fri, 29. Jan 21, 15:55

In the beta planet population effects the efficiency of a station. So if you build a station at Argon prime it has (not actual number) 1250% efficiency. Everything is much faster to be produced. So terraforming and colonizing a world would provide a boost in ratio to population
ah ok, thats nice, will try, but i startet a new game before a week, and now there is no gas at the moment hope i can test the feature before the expansion pack is coming.

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Fri, 29. Jan 21, 18:37

Curious :

If Xenon conquer a terraformed sector, will they undo the terraforming? Would make sense lore-wise (Xenon are amok-running terraformers who once tried to terraform Earth) and would add investment to defend the terraformed sectors.

Is "terraforming" the same for each race, or does the sector need new terraforming whenever a different race conquers a sector? (i.e. Sector conquered by Paranid and terraformed. Then Split conquer it. Do the Split need new terraforming for the former Paranid planet?) After all, Borons for example have different environmental requirements than Split.

Are AI factions more motivated to defend terraformed sectors?

Elratie
x4

Post by Elratie » Fri, 29. Jan 21, 20:41

Teladi CEO wrote:
Fri, 29. Jan 21, 15:55
tok99 wrote:
Fri, 29. Jan 21, 15:31

thats not entirely correct, the efficiency is referring to how fast you can get Workers on your stations not how much more the station is producing. The more producing part comes from the workers on the station and is capped at around 25%
Dev for Star Wars Interworlds
My Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/elratie

Kpla Keltak

Post by Kpla Keltak » Sat, 30. Jan 21, 17:56

Gregory wrote:
Thu, 28. Jan 21, 14:43
It's been more than two full years since X4: Foundations was released, and many of you have played the game for hundreds of hours. We couldn't be happier about this! If you've been asking yourself what else you could possibly do in X4: Foundations, then read on, because this is specifically for you.

For those of you with an abundance of spare resources, we’re adding a new end-game activity in 4.00. This involves initiating projects for planetary improvements, including several types of infrastructure development, with the aim of making specific planets more habitable. We're calling this "Terraforming" and you may already have heard us talk about it in our gamescom 2020 live-stream.

In terms of gameplay, you will be undertaking new missions that serve as entry points to the Terraforming feature. Settlements will form, and landscapes can be changed through the investment of time and resources. And, as if the thought of shaping the universe wasn't exciting enough, there may even be other rewards involved.

Just to be clear about one thing – you won't be landing on any planets! You will, however, have a closer involvement with them than you have ever had in any X series game to date. We would love to hear your experiences with this new feature, especially if you're one of those end-game pilots.

Want to check this new element out ahead of the public release of the 4.00 update? You can by participating in the currently running 4.00 beta phase. Just visit our forum for an instruction on how to do so.

How to terraform
While we normally rely on your urge to discover things for yourselves, and don't want to give too much away, we thought that a little bit of guidance on this feature wouldn't go amiss.
Spoiler
Show
Once you've finished all your teleportation research, you need to continue by researching high-mass teleportation. A few minutes after the initial experiment, Boso Ta will call you about a new idea. Talking to him about it will add a number of mission offers.

In order to terraform, you will need to:
  • have a module to construct M and S ships on your HQ
  • have storage capabilities for container, solid and liquid wares on your HQ
  • accept a terraforming mission
  • teleport the HQ to the sector specified by the mission briefing
  • open the terraforming menu (this is new icon at the top of the screen) and select a project to work on
Once started, construction and delivery are automatic as long as the required resources are provided.
As usual, please use the Public Beta Feedback forum to provide feedback on your experiences.
In my game he actually asks for a Venture platform and a venture SM dock.???
but ventures are disabled in the Beta and I cant build the Venture platform.
SPA - Split Paranid Alliance
Death to Teladi and Boron
Enslave the rest

Warnoise

Post by Warnoise » Sat, 30. Jan 21, 23:09

It would be great if there was an explanation about their effects on the game. I don't want to waste hours doing something just so it ends up being useless at the end.

gav622007
x4

Post by gav622007 » Sun, 31. Jan 21, 18:09

"The workshop is running Iow on Nividium and requires a new shipment."
https://ibb.co/7kZtrYY
Please explain how it works, where to sell Nividium?

PetitViet
x4

Post by PetitViet » Sun, 31. Jan 21, 22:02

Vous faites du très bon taff :)

s'il te plait, comment fais tu pour rajouter un module à ton QG

là je bloque

par contre, il me demande de construire une "université" :)

merci pour votre aide :)

Bon jeu à toutes et tous

David

dreamer2008
x4

Post by dreamer2008 » Sat, 13. Feb 21, 15:19

I love that you added terraforming! I really hope that at the end of each terraform mission we will get some awesome rewards.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 13. Feb 21, 15:22

"The journey is the reward" :goner:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

dreamer2008
x4

Post by dreamer2008 » Sat, 13. Feb 21, 15:23

jlehtone wrote:
Sat, 13. Feb 21, 15:22
"The journey is the reward" :goner:
And its a pretty good reward, but something more tangible wouldn't hurt :D

easternsun

Post by easternsun » Sat, 20. Feb 21, 14:30

As long as terraforming has a tangible change to the galaxy it's worth doing. I want to support the AI. I'm so rich money is just a number now.
The problem is some of the rewards punish the player (Antigone stops expanding) if they like seeing the universe grow and have the factions protect themselves from Xenon or HOP.

Terraforming should also create new factions like some of the plot missions.

palm911
x4

Post by palm911 » Sun, 28. Feb 21, 16:41

can i terraform a sector i own? like one taken by the xenom?

or it is only sectors from other factions ?
X gamer , one at a time.

Return to “X4: Foundations”