4.00 Public Beta now available

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

avilonrayne
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri, 30. Sep 11, 14:09
x4

Re: 4.00 Public Beta now available

Post by avilonrayne » Thu, 26. Nov 20, 03:53

Rei Ayanami wrote:
Thu, 26. Nov 20, 02:45
Burneyx wrote:
Tue, 24. Nov 20, 23:38
And i dont get the reason for content im paying for is cut off, when using mods.....
How would you propose modded ships (with custom models, textures, etc) from game A being sent to an unmodded universe of game B should be handled?
There's an easy fix that gets around all of those problems. Two fixes, actually. Make modded games send a default ship of the correct type for the venture. Alternatively make them not send a ship at all, but still lock the ship that the player placed in the platform for the duration of the venture. That said, there has been mention of "future plans" for the venture system, but zero details on what these might be. These planned things may actually require unmodified clients. Some sort of multiplayer would do it, but I don't want to get any hopes up with speculation.

Burneyx
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu, 6. Mar 03, 14:20
x4

Re: 4.00 Public Beta now available

Post by Burneyx » Thu, 26. Nov 20, 09:46

Rei Ayanami wrote:
Thu, 26. Nov 20, 02:45
Burneyx wrote:
Tue, 24. Nov 20, 23:38
And i dont get the reason for content im paying for is cut off, when using mods.....
Because properly and fairly adjusting and properly handling all possible cases that could happen between a vanilla game and a modded game where basically anything could be changed is impossible.

How would you propose modded ships (with custom models, textures, etc) from game A being sent to an unmodded universe of game B should be handled? Game B wouldn't know what ship model, textures or, in the case of custom ship macro id, which ship data in general to use for that ship.
What if there is a file- or naming conflict between game A and game B, where modded game A with mod X sends a ship of ship class ID "my_test_object", but mod Y in game B use ship class id "my_test_object" for a completely different ship or an entirely different object class entirely? Game B would probably either be screwed up or crash.

But lets say Egosoft somehow manages to handle all the technical details : What if game A sends a modded custom ship "Doomsday Carrier" with 5000 turrets and 2000 shield generators? Is that acceptable and fair to appear in an unmodded game?

Only with vanilla-to-vanilla transfers it can be guaranteed that both players actually use the same game data that iis compatible with eachother and on the same fair playing field.

And yes, there are many, many mods which don't alter the gameplay but only add local quality-of-life improvements, such as UI elements, but Egosoft would probably have to test and verify the functionalities of all these mods, which is a lot of additional work.
Come on,

there are 5 players sending 5 ships to other players, thats called now pvp, :roll:

An easy task to restrict the possible ships, that can be sent, very simple :wink:

But now what Egosoft does is a bad marketing decision, showing an unfair and unpleasant behavior
against 95% of the paying customers.....

But, well, there u go..... :thumb_up:

Burneyx
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu, 6. Mar 03, 14:20
x4

Re: 4.00 Public Beta now available

Post by Burneyx » Thu, 26. Nov 20, 10:00

avilonrayne wrote:
Thu, 26. Nov 20, 03:53
Rei Ayanami wrote:
Thu, 26. Nov 20, 02:45
Burneyx wrote:
Tue, 24. Nov 20, 23:38
And i dont get the reason for content im paying for is cut off, when using mods.....
How would you propose modded ships (with custom models, textures, etc) from game A being sent to an unmodded universe of game B should be handled?
There's an easy fix that gets around all of those problems. Two fixes, actually. Make modded games send a default ship of the correct type for the venture. Alternatively make them not send a ship at all, but still lock the ship that the player placed in the platform for the duration of the venture. That said, there has been mention of "future plans" for the venture system, but zero details on what these might be. These planned things may actually require unmodified clients. Some sort of multiplayer would do it, but I don't want to get any hopes up with speculation.
+1

Very simple, let us mod users send standart ships to say hello :wink:

Easy way to please everyone and make us all love you more, Egosoft :goner:

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
Posts: 39645
Joined: Tue, 29. Apr 03, 00:56
x4

Re: 4.00 Public Beta now available

Post by CBJ » Thu, 26. Nov 20, 11:51

As I have already explained, that is not an option. And no, I cannot give more details at the moment.

avilonrayne
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri, 30. Sep 11, 14:09
x4

Re: 4.00 Public Beta now available

Post by avilonrayne » Thu, 26. Nov 20, 12:04

:-?
  • Removed Interact menu option to follow ship (still available as default behaviour).
  • Removed Interact menu option to protect station (still available as default behaviour, or assign to station instead).
Why? Protect station I can understand because it's effectively duplicated in the interact menu with assigning the ship to the commander for defense, but why following? It turns the process of following a ship from a couple clicks to an entire default order selection.

Edit: Just had a thought, does the coordinate attack action allow for following the target, and does it work for boarding? That's what I usually use following for. Collecting my fleet around a non-aggressive target before attacking it.

User avatar
alt3rn1ty
Posts: 1041
Joined: Thu, 26. Jan 06, 20:45
x4

Re: 4.00 Public Beta now available

Post by alt3rn1ty » Fri, 27. Nov 20, 22:20

avilonrayne wrote:
Thu, 26. Nov 20, 12:04
:-?
  • Removed Interact menu option to follow ship (still available as default behaviour).
  • Removed Interact menu option to protect station (still available as default behaviour, or assign to station instead).
Why? Protect station I can understand because it's effectively duplicated in the interact menu with assigning the ship to the commander for defense, but why following? It turns the process of following a ship from a couple clicks to an entire default order selection.
It's going to be changed back again viewtopic.php?p=4993326#p4993326
Laptop Dell G7 7590 : Win 10 x64
CPU 9th Gen' Core I7 9750H 4.5ghz,
GPU NVidia Geforce GTX 1650, VRAM 4gb GDDR5,
RAM Corsair Vengeance 32gb (2x16gb Dual Channel) DDR4 2666mhz,
Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVME 500gb + Dell 512gb SSDs' (both Internal)

zakaluka
Posts: 398
Joined: Sat, 16. Nov 13, 20:47

Re: 4.00 Public Beta now available

Post by zakaluka » Fri, 27. Nov 20, 22:30

grapedog wrote:
Fri, 20. Nov 20, 18:52
Thanks for the info. I wonder if/how they will balance raw resources, population, and sunlight. Are populations like a sector with resources where the same sectors always have the same resources, will planets always have the same population numbers?

If you take over another factions sector, like taking over argon prime, would they be pissed and have lower recruitment numbers.

I can only imagine that sunlight will become a factor eventually, since they've had more than one update that has dealt with sunlight concentration in a sector.
The only way I can characterize it right now, is that it's kind of trivial to get 100% workforce on a medium station in 4.0 beta. (something requiring 1-3 large habs, say)
I can't tell you what factors affect it, and maybe you've seen, but egosoft isn't completely done with this yet.

avilonrayne
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri, 30. Sep 11, 14:09
x4

Re: 4.00 Public Beta now available

Post by avilonrayne » Fri, 27. Nov 20, 23:19

alt3rn1ty wrote:
Fri, 27. Nov 20, 22:20
It's going to be changed back again viewtopic.php?p=4993326#p4993326
Ooh, thanks for that, I didn't know there were threads for each specific phase of the beta. ♥

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
Posts: 23191
Joined: Fri, 16. Apr 04, 19:21
x4

Re: 4.00 Public Beta now available

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 27. Nov 20, 23:26

The public beta forum threads are for specific topic issues or feedback as that topic evolves through the different beta builds before reaching a release version. There is a useful rules and guidance sticky thread at the top of the beta forum that you might find helpful.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

User avatar
alt3rn1ty
Posts: 1041
Joined: Thu, 26. Jan 06, 20:45
x4

Re: 4.00 Public Beta now available

Post by alt3rn1ty » Sat, 28. Nov 20, 03:01

Take heed of what Alan says if you participate there, its a lot stricter part of the forum. The topic I linked is very unusual in that it was allowed to continue as a discussion, but they usually clamp down on any posts which are just conversational/subjective/personal opinion, and try to keep each topic very on topic with replies which only refer to exactly the same issue as in the first post and also provide more system information in the form of saves / dxdiag ectetera, so that as little distraction occurs for the benefit of developers trying to read through and solve the relevant issues. Time is money there, so anything posted needs to be only technically helpful to solve the issue at hand, and ultimately help us all :).
Laptop Dell G7 7590 : Win 10 x64
CPU 9th Gen' Core I7 9750H 4.5ghz,
GPU NVidia Geforce GTX 1650, VRAM 4gb GDDR5,
RAM Corsair Vengeance 32gb (2x16gb Dual Channel) DDR4 2666mhz,
Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVME 500gb + Dell 512gb SSDs' (both Internal)

avilonrayne
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri, 30. Sep 11, 14:09
x4

Re: 4.00 Public Beta now available

Post by avilonrayne » Sun, 29. Nov 20, 08:29

Question about one of the beta features. Does "Added ability to store weapon mode and ammo settings with saved loadouts and apply them in ship build/upgrade process" possibly extend to resupply? Can we finally choose which missiles get restocked?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
Posts: 39645
Joined: Tue, 29. Apr 03, 00:56
x4

Re: 4.00 Public Beta now available

Post by CBJ » Sun, 29. Nov 20, 11:32

avilonrayne wrote:
Sun, 29. Nov 20, 08:29
Question about one of the beta features. Does "Added ability to store weapon mode and ammo settings with saved loadouts and apply them in ship build/upgrade process" possibly extend to resupply? Can we finally choose which missiles get restocked?
Yes. :)

Socratatus
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue, 11. May 04, 15:34
x4

Re: 4.00 Public Beta now available

Post by Socratatus » Tue, 1. Dec 20, 13:50

During the public beta of the 4.00 update, which starts today, you will still be able to log into the game with your forum username in the usual way. However, when the finished 4.00 update is publicly released in the first quarter of 2021, it will become mandatory to login using your e-mail address.
Please note that those who use modified clients to play X4: Foundations will no longer have access to their online account in-game.
Ok, this isn`t why I originally bought tthe WHOLE package about 2 years ago. I don`t like what looks liek a bait and switch where I cannot get a refund. This is sounding like Elite`s policy even when playing Solo. There`s a reason why I get my games from GOG. I am beginning to regret giving Egosoft a chance and my money. I wantt a game I can play OFFLINE without needing to go Online to do it.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding it. I`ll be watching carefully to see exactly what this means in practise.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
Posts: 39645
Joined: Tue, 29. Apr 03, 00:56
x4

Re: 4.00 Public Beta now available

Post by CBJ » Tue, 1. Dec 20, 14:00

I think you have indeed misunderstood it. Nowhere in that text does it say that you have to login to play your game offline, and we have no plans to make that mandatory. Perhaps you were confused by the explanation that the login method is changing (from username to email address) for those who do wish to do so.

dtpsprt
Posts: 1000
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31
x4

Re: 4.00 Public Beta now available

Post by dtpsprt » Tue, 1. Dec 20, 14:03

Socratatus wrote:
Tue, 1. Dec 20, 13:50
During the public beta of the 4.00 update, which starts today, you will still be able to log into the game with your forum username in the usual way. However, when the finished 4.00 update is publicly released in the first quarter of 2021, it will become mandatory to login using your e-mail address.
Please note that those who use modified clients to play X4: Foundations will no longer have access to their online account in-game.
Ok, this isn`t why I originally bought tthe WHOLE package about 2 years ago. I don`t like what looks liek a bait and switch where I cannot get a refund. This is sounding like Elite`s policy even when playing Solo. There`s a reason why I get my games from GOG. I am beginning to regret giving Egosoft a chance and my money. I wantt a game I can play OFFLINE without needing to go Online to do it.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding it. I`ll be watching carefully to see exactly what this means in practise.
Actually, nobody can log online using the Beta so far, since this feature is blocked because of the development of Ventures. Ventures require an unmoded game even today. That said I am wondering what will happen with the features that right now are "locked" behind Ventures (and made a thread for that too)...

Post Reply

Return to “X4: Foundations”