X4: Cradle of Humanity (Release Date March 16, 2021, 6pm CET; Livestream at 5pm CET)

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tilen
x4

Re: X4: Cradle of Humanity (Release Date March 16, 2021)

Post by Tilen » Sun, 7. Mar 21, 12:42

repatomonor wrote:
Sat, 6. Mar 21, 20:39
Tilen wrote:
Sat, 6. Mar 21, 16:08
I was looking forward to this DLC, but I'm now apathetic toward it.

It will feature niceties like new factions and ships, sure, but the factions barely interact with eachother as is, so what's the point?
What is the level of interaction would you prefer? I don't want to come off as biased, but in my games so far factions traded with each other, they fought each other, they took territories from each other. If this went further (to the level of a faction's extinction dealt by the computer itself without the player's intervention or help), we would be on a 4X game's route which X4 is not.
Whatever interaction, beyond trading, that happens, is coincidental. Sectors aren't really taken over, they just happen to have no Defense stations (Admin modules) when the "invading" AI builds theirs.

In an example: I have a system with stations and fleets from HOP, TEL and PAR not far from eachother, and they just occupy and patrol their little corner of it. There are also Xenon invading and retreating constantly, making for a nice little rainbow. There's no intentional hostility between the AI factions. The hostilities aren't a goal, so to speak. I assume, from observation, that the AI has a simple set of instructions like "if x, try to build stations in y" and "patrol your stations", and all the other behaviour derives from this. So many times I watched the AI lose its assets with its military ignoring it nearby.

Furthermore, the AI seemingly won't try to expand past a system that the player owns and it's not possible to rescind system ownership and I've unintentionally forced peace in a part of the galaxy.

In short, the game feels much too game-y as a result. Kind of like the NPCs in a ESO game, where they are just robotic, sctipted quest dispensers populating a supposedly living world.

There also are barely any frontlines or faction controlled systems. Because the AI doesn't actively defend or attack, it will build and patrol pretty much wherever. You'll see all the factions' ships in all the systems, even if at war, and then you get stuff like traders and scouts travelling into Xenon territory, for example. No sense of war. The weird "encounter" mechanic, spawning ships near the player, compounds this.

X4, as a result, is a sandbox of smoke and mirrors.

The CoH DLC has amazing ships designs though, kudos!
Praise Bernd!

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Sun, 7. Mar 21, 16:45

Tilen wrote:
Sun, 7. Mar 21, 12:42
repatomonor wrote:
Sat, 6. Mar 21, 20:39
Tilen wrote:
Sat, 6. Mar 21, 16:08
I was looking forward to this DLC, but I'm now apathetic toward it.

It will feature niceties like new factions and ships, sure, but the factions barely interact with eachother as is, so what's the point?
What is the level of interaction would you prefer? I don't want to come off as biased, but in my games so far factions traded with each other, they fought each other, they took territories from each other. If this went further (to the level of a faction's extinction dealt by the computer itself without the player's intervention or help), we would be on a 4X game's route which X4 is not.
Whatever interaction, beyond trading, that happens, is coincidental. Sectors aren't really taken over, they just happen to have no Defense stations (Admin modules) when the "invading" AI builds theirs.

In an example: I have a system with stations and fleets from HOP, TEL and PAR not far from eachother, and they just occupy and patrol their little corner of it. There are also Xenon invading and retreating constantly, making for a nice little rainbow. There's no intentional hostility between the AI factions. The hostilities aren't a goal, so to speak. I assume, from observation, that the AI has a simple set of instructions like "if x, try to build stations in y" and "patrol your stations", and all the other behaviour derives from this. So many times I watched the AI lose its assets with its military ignoring it nearby.

Furthermore, the AI seemingly won't try to expand past a system that the player owns and it's not possible to rescind system ownership and I've unintentionally forced peace in a part of the galaxy.

In short, the game feels much too game-y as a result. Kind of like the NPCs in a ESO game, where they are just robotic, sctipted quest dispensers populating a supposedly living world.

There also are barely any frontlines or faction controlled systems. Because the AI doesn't actively defend or attack, it will build and patrol pretty much wherever. You'll see all the factions' ships in all the systems, even if at war, and then you get stuff like traders and scouts travelling into Xenon territory, for example. No sense of war. The weird "encounter" mechanic, spawning ships near the player, compounds this.

X4, as a result, is a sandbox of smoke and mirrors.

The CoH DLC has amazing ships designs though, kudos!
Very glad my game is not like your game!

Bastelfred
x4

Post by Bastelfred » Sun, 7. Mar 21, 20:53

grapedog wrote:
Sun, 7. Mar 21, 16:45
Very glad my game is not like your game!
And I wonder why that is! Which button do you have to press to make something happen? Other players report that e.g. HOP overruns the ARG and the like.
Not in my games. And I let everyone already do what they want and do not interfere.
With me always happens what @Tilen describes. The factions build their stations in the adjacent sector and patrol there next to their enemies. Rarely a sector is taken over. But not more. Except for Xenon sectors, the poor Xenon are sometimes overrun with pleasure.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Mon, 8. Mar 21, 01:28

In mine HOP have taken over 3 of fhe PAR sectors, most of pious mists is owned by HOP, and they're starting to punish Trinity Sanctum too. TEL and ZYA are pushing deep into Xen in the NW and E sections of the map, and ZYA finally took over eleventh hour and guiding star, and they own most of the Xenon in the NW. They're now picking fights with FRF too in the NE which is good.

Of course, this is a ZYA playthrough and im only selling ships to HOP, TEL, MIN,, and ZYA... i also have all my hubs of stations on the east side of the map, so ARG and ANT don't get much benefit from them, though PAR does. I just worry that ZYA will try taking out HAT, and I like them... so we may have to have discussions about that.

palm911
x4

Post by palm911 » Mon, 8. Mar 21, 16:04

does the yaki, atf and minor factions have their own ship? or they are using all the same ships available to terrans? i saw the videos by this guy collins, but all i saw was the regular terran ships, no mention of the yaki or ATF . its just out of curiosity!
X gamer , one at a time.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 8. Mar 21, 16:06

palm911 wrote:
Mon, 8. Mar 21, 16:04
does the yaki, atf and minor factions have their own ship? or they are using all the same ships available to terrans? i saw the videos by this guy collins, but all i saw was the regular terran ships, no mention of the yaki or ATF . its just out of curiosity!
Yaki have their own ships which are Paranid/Xenon hybrid.
USC and ATF got merged into Terran Protectorate - most of Terran fighters looks like ATF designs and you have Syn and Asgard as ATF designs.

Tilen
x4

Post by Tilen » Mon, 8. Mar 21, 23:01

grapedog wrote:
Mon, 8. Mar 21, 01:28
In mine HOP have taken over 3 of fhe PAR sectors, most of pious mists is owned by HOP, and they're starting to punish Trinity Sanctum too. TEL and ZYA are pushing deep into Xen in the NW and E sections of the map, and ZYA finally took over eleventh hour and guiding star, and they own most of the Xenon in the NW. They're now picking fights with FRF too in the NE which is good.

Of course, this is a ZYA playthrough and im only selling ships to HOP, TEL, MIN,, and ZYA... i also have all my hubs of stations on the east side of the map, so ARG and ANT don't get much benefit from them, though PAR does. I just worry that ZYA will try taking out HAT, and I like them... so we may have to have discussions about that.
Now you listen here and listen well: you will immediately stop your sensless aggression toward our human brethren and cease collusion with the xenos filth. I will not stand for this.
Praise Bernd!

SwizzleStick86
x4

Post by SwizzleStick86 » Mon, 8. Mar 21, 23:22

Tilen wrote:
Mon, 8. Mar 21, 23:01
grapedog wrote:

Now you listen here and listen well: you will immediately stop your sensless aggression toward our human brethren and cease collusion with the xenos filth. I will not stand for this.
I Concur! As result of these actions, as of March 16th I will be declaring war on all non-human entities (excluding the boron...lol..) and cleanse the universe!
"It can only be attributable to human error."
-HAL 9000

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 8. Mar 21, 23:34

SwizzleStick86 wrote:
Mon, 8. Mar 21, 23:22
Tilen wrote:
I Concur! As result of these actions, as of March 16th I will be declaring war on all non-human entities (excluding the boron...lol..) and cleanse the universe!
You are free to be aggressive and start a war. Who has to end it for you?
:boron: :paranid: :split: :teladi: :xenon: :khaak:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Tue, 9. Mar 21, 01:20

Tilen wrote:
grapedog wrote:

Split not hear words of future slave.

Teladi CEO

Post by Teladi CEO » Tue, 9. Mar 21, 01:28

grapedog wrote:
Tue, 9. Mar 21, 01:20
Tilen wrote:
grapedog wrote:

Teladi see the possibility of great profitsss from the ensuing war.
We don’t know what paradise is like, but probably it’s blue magenta, flecked with pink. But even if it’s green and red-checked we should make the most of it. -Boron saying

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Tue, 9. Mar 21, 01:39

I see all these escape pods as i play, and i am sad we can do nothing with them.... not even picking them up to bring them back to the friendly confines of split space, get em set back up with a job of sorts, a place to live, and food. Trying to be the good guy, and Egosoft won't let me.

DavidGW
x4

Post by DavidGW » Tue, 9. Mar 21, 02:20

grapedog wrote:
Tue, 9. Mar 21, 01:39
I see all these escape pods as i play, and i am sad we can do nothing with them.... not even picking them up to bring them back to the friendly confines of split space, get em set back up with a job of sorts, a place to live, and food. Trying to be the good guy, and Egosoft won't let me.
They will happily help you sight-in your guns though. Well, at least they don’t object.

Tilen
x4

Post by Tilen » Tue, 9. Mar 21, 11:48

grapedog wrote:
Tue, 9. Mar 21, 01:20
Tilen wrote:
grapedog wrote:

Space accountant says what?
Praise Bernd!

ezra-r
x4

Re: X4: Cradle of Humanity (Release Date March 16, 2021; 6pm CET)

Post by ezra-r » Tue, 9. Mar 21, 21:44

Question guys.

I have a game in which the following conditions apply:
* I have a huge empire (split start), with a huge fleet (several in fact), a few shipyards, dozens of factories, lots of income.
* Xenon are quite controlled only in the areas I allow them to be because I don't want them to dissapear.
* Argon have practically dissapeared.
* Ministry Of Finance has practically dissapeared since I wiped them out for being so annoying and getting mad at me just because.

Having into account all these circumstances:
Should I restart for the next DLC or should I continue playing my game? Cheers!

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Wed, 10. Mar 21, 00:02

With CoH coming out, will Ventures be turned back on?

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 10. Mar 21, 09:52

ezra-r wrote:
Tue, 9. Mar 21, 21:44
Should I restart for the next DLC or should I continue playing my game? Cheers!
Yes. :P

Aren't there actually four options:
* Never play the game again
* Continue current playthrough
* Start new playthrough
* Archive current playthrough's save for later use and start a new
* Play simultaneously more than one playthrough (old and new)

In other words, your options are not mutually exclusive (in theory).
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Gregory
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Gregory » Wed, 10. Mar 21, 10:00

The Sounds of X4: Cradle of Humanity

Last week we introduced you to the new launch trailer for X4: Cradle of Humanity. Many comments that we received about the trailer focused on the fantastic music that accompanies it. To further whet your appetite for the new soundtrack to X4: Cradle of Humanity, we are unveiling another preview of it today.

Since 2003, the soundtracks and sound design of our X series games have been in the safe hands of Alexei Zakharov, a familiar name to many of you. With X4: Cradle of Humanity, Alexei has outdone himself once again, delivering a soundtrack that is even more melodic than previous X soundscapes. Choral vocals and Nordic motifs accompany you on your journey through X4: Cradle of Humanity’s new systems.
The teaser below gives you another taste of the expansion's soundtrack:

>> X4: Cradle of Humanity - Soundtrack Preview <<

The soundtrack for X4: Cradle of Humanity is part of the Collector's Edition of X4: Foundations. Those who already own, or buy, the Collector's Edition will automatically receive access to the soundtrack on Steam and GOG with the release on March 16th, 2021. Alternatively, the soundtrack can be purchased separately.

The soundtrack will also be available on the usual streaming and music platforms, including Spotify, YouTube Music, Amazon Music and so on. Please note that we have no direct influence over the release process on these platforms, so it is possible that the soundtrack may not be available immediately on all of them on March 16th. Keep an eye open to make sure you don't miss anything.

If you can't get enough of Alexei's phenomenal work, we recommend our X Universe - Soundtrack Collection bundle.

Relax and escape into Alexei's universe of sound!
All our channels in one convenient list :arrow: https://linktr.ee/egosoft

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 10. Mar 21, 10:07

Great to hear that CoM OST, like SV OST will be ambient heavy.

Base X4 OST was lacking in ambient music area.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Wed, 10. Mar 21, 11:18

Greg, long shot but a request, for the new exp pack could u maybe for the main menu track possibly bring back the old xbtf main menu music. Nothing has beaten that in my eyes or er ears since and would be mint to have it back in x4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1EWN2dEgtI
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Return to “X4: Foundations”