X4: Cradle of Humanity (Release Date March 16, 2021, 6pm CET; Livestream at 5pm CET)

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

raUlo
x4

Re: X4: Cradle of Humanity - Unveiling the next chapter of X4: Foundations

Post by raUlo » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 16:38

hargn wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 14:23
raUlo wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 14:12
I think I would bet on the Yaki. And I would also go as far as to say that screenshot 5 from Steam is not Terran, for some reason it seems to look a bit different from the other small ships depicted in the other screenshots
You mean this screenshot ?
Yes it looks like X3's Yaki M5.
Yes indeed. It looks like a mixture between Terran small ships seen in other screenshots and X3 Paranid Pegasus.

One of the screenshots seems to be something simillar to the Aqueduct, that one also seems really weird like why would they post a picture of it? Perhaps it has something to do with the upcoming plot (AFAIK there's no explanation so far as to what the Aqueducts are and why they are spread randomly all over the universe)

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 16:48

Gregory wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 10:06
two Terran factions to X4: Foundations, along with their economy, ships, weapons and stations. New game-starts will introduce the identity and political stance of the Terran factions, as well as giving an alternative perspective on existing story developments in X4: Foundations.

X4: Cradle of Humanity will also shed light on what has happened to Earth in the decades since the jump-gate shutdown. Furthermore, a certain pirate faction that is well known to fans of the series will be making a dramatic comeback!

USC perspective - shoot everything that fly through our gate.
ATF perspective - shoot everything beyond our gate.

About pirates this is strage as there are only two named pirate factions:
- Darkspace pirates - Terran pirates so they would count as 3rd Terran faction.
- Yaki pirates - accordign to lore they transformed into Beryl corporation so it would be kinda strange to resurface them, albeit Steam screenshots show fighters that could look like Yaki ships.
Last edited by mr.WHO on Thu, 27. Aug 20, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 16:57

Gregory wrote:
X4: Cradle of Humanity will also shed light on what has happened to Earth in the decades since the jump-gate shutdown. Furthermore, a certain pirate faction that is well known to fans of the series will be making a dramatic comeback!
Preaching Goners? Agitated ATF? :P
Gregory wrote:
a new terraforming feature
My psychic powers* say that we can control Xenon ships and they will once again perform their original task. :roll:

Hey, Slartibartfast of Magrathea! Do you have any new designs?

*Disclaimer: I'm not a psychic.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 17:21

Great news!

Terraforming?? That makes me VERY curious!
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 18:06

I wonder if the terraforming thing will be a gameplay mechanic separate from the plot, or if it will be tied to the plot like the "diplomacy" feature introduced with 3.0? I felt like the diplomacy option in 3.0, where you influenced diplomacy through plot choices, was too much "on rails" for my taste, that the options were too limited and not dynamic enough.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 18:08

For a Terran station, there is oddly too many Xenos on board:
https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/a ... 1598515434

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 18:14

Falcrack wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 18:06
I wonder if the terraforming thing will be a gameplay mechanic separate from the plot, or if it will be tied to the plot like the "diplomacy" feature introduced with 3.0? I felt like the diplomacy option in 3.0, where you influenced diplomacy through plot choices, was too much "on rails" for my taste, that the options were too limited and not dynamic enough.
I really hope it is a sandbox feature.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 18:48

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 18:08
Haha agreed. I also am hoping they can change some colors or at least one of the 2D designs on the docks so it's more believable that they're Terran. Nothing major, just some difference that doesn't make us wonder why they'd be so similar after the gate break. :)
Care to see what I've been creating? https://www.youtube.com/user/ytubrute

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 19:32

tomchk wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 18:48
mr.WHO wrote:
Haha agreed. I also am hoping they can change some colors or at least one of the 2D designs on the docks so it's more believable that they're Terran. Nothing major, just some difference that doesn't make us wonder why they'd be so similar after the gate break. :)
It would be nice if they had docks that differed from one race to the next, so they don't all look the same.

Alm888
x4

Post by Alm888 » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 19:43

Matthew94 wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 12:22
I'm liking the look of those stations. The white X3 Terran aesthetic is back.
Yes. White with blue stripes (just as I speculated half a year ago :D )
Matthew94 wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 12:22
I'm liking the look of those stations. The white X3 Terran aesthetic is back.
Yeah. It is nice to see Terran stations in a more "orderly" state. (In "X: Rebirth" they were mostly destroyed).
Also, it seems ES follows the "X: Rebirth" aesthetic more than X3, which is good, IMO. I am not a fan of X3 Terran stations: they looked basically like oversized cubes/cylinders.

Hope this time we are allowed to pilot Sucellus-class destroyers (or their successors), as I am interested in firing that "Insanely Huge Cannon" personally.
mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 16:33
- Terran theme docking pads (too much white for my taste):
mr.WHO wrote:
For a Terran station, there is oddly too many Xenos on board
Aww, come on! It is just a standard "Luxury" dock. We have these in-game now. No relation to Terrans.
mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 16:33
- This is even more confusing - looks like Yaki/Terran fighter hybrid - maybe second faction will not be ATF, but some kind of pro-Alien Terran faction?
raUlo wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 16:38
Yes indeed. It looks like a mixture between Terran small ships seen in other screenshots and X3 Paranid Pegasus.
I'm not sure, but wasn't some Paranid faction allied with Terrans prior to gates' shutdown (lore-wise) and had an expeditionary fleet stationed in the Sol system?

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 19:55

Alm888 wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 19:43
Aww, come on! It is just a standard "Luxury" dock. We have these in-game now. No relation to Terrans.
I think Luxury dock has different floor tiles.
This looks like Terran version of Luxury dock.
Alm888 wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 19:43
Hope this time we are allowed to pilot Sucellus-class destroyers (or their successors), as I am interested in firing that "Insanely Huge Cannon" personally.
Fun fact is that Sucellus seems like spiritual origin of X4 Destroyer class - smaller than M2, armed with frontal main cannons and secondary turrets.

Alm888
x4

Post by Alm888 » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 20:19

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 19:55
I think Luxury dock has different floor tiles.
This looks like Terran version of Luxury dock.
Really? I just have made a bunch of screenshots from v3.30. They look identical to me.
Spoiler
Show

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 20:40

Damn, I haven't used luxury dock for ages (as it blinding white) and I was rather sure the floor tiles were not hexagonal.

Alm888
x4

Post by Alm888 » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 20:53

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 20:40
Damn, I haven't used luxury dock for ages (as it blinding white) and I was rather sure the floor tiles were not hexagonal.
The question is: why is that screenshot there? If it is not the dock itself, that is new, than what? Some Terran NPC's (which I failed to spot)? Background? Some renewed scenery (like those giant megaphones)?

Shehriazad
x4

Post by Shehriazad » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 21:06

It's slowly but surely becoming very jarring.

I get that it's easier to just reuse interiors for all races n stuff...but for frikks sake Terrans have been SO detached from everyone else that this is just plain ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong I am still VERY much looking forward to the next DLC, but this issue of interiors looking all the same AND shipyards looking the same across ALL races will NEVER stop bugging me. (And for shipyards this would even be easy-ish to fix simply by attaching some stylized armor plates depending on the race to the exterior of the "base" shell. It'd make em all feel more fitting without having to redo it all)

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 21:30

Shehriazad wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 21:06
I get that it's easier to just reuse interiors for all races n stuff...but for frikks sake Terrans have been SO detached from everyone else that this is just plain ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong I am still VERY much looking forward to the next DLC, but this issue of interiors looking all the same AND shipyards looking the same across ALL races will NEVER stop bugging me.
I have a bad feeling to see Terran pulse/bolt/beam/plasma medium turrets, just like we have for Split.

Harrison_rus
x4

Post by Harrison_rus » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 21:30

Hm this DLC looks very interesting. And twice interesting for newbie in the X series (played only in X4).
I know little about X lore (I was interested before buying x4) but I know who is Terrans. I don't know was is possible to play as Terran in X3 (seems not). And will be interesting play as Terranian and see other side of story. :)
Gregory wrote:
including major new gameplay features (e.g. a new terraforming feature)
Seems we'll get some orbital station which allow us to utilize some excess of recources.
Gregory wrote:
and wide-ranging visual improvements (e.g. volumetric fog).
raUlo wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 16:38
reenshots seems to be something simillar to the Aqueduct, that one also seems really weird like why would they post a picture of it? Perhaps it has something to do with the upcoming plot (AFAIK there's no explanation so far as to what the Aqueducts are and why they are spread randomly all over the universe)
Hmm because this is not Sol Aqueduct. I guess devs demonstrate us a "Volumetric fog" feature? And I very hope that this effect increase FPS than decrease. At this moment on 1440p with MSAAx4 with rtx 2080 I get only 30 fps in the fog in absolutely empty sector (without asteroids).
Last edited by Harrison_rus on Thu, 27. Aug 20, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

Alm888
x4

Post by Alm888 » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 21:42

Shehriazad wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 21:06
It's slowly but surely becoming very jarring.

Easy there. :)
First, this is a dock, not an interior. I believe Terran interiors will be unique all right (just like Split/Argon/Paranid/Teladi cockpits/bridges differ).
Second, yes, race-specific docks/construction facilities would be great, but I believe it is not the top priority right now (I'd rank ship variety higher).
Third, this "fits them all" approach to docks is from the day-1, it is not getting any worse. ;)
Harrison_rus wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 21:30
I know little about X lore (I was interested before buying x4) but I know who is Terrans. I don't know was is possible to play as Terran in X3 (seems not).
It was. Terran gamestarts also had alternate story missions.

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 22:37

I agree--please Egosoft, please consider the least expensive/difficult way to make species docks and such look a bit different. Anything would help, even colors or 2D patterns! :)
Care to see what I've been creating? https://www.youtube.com/user/ytubrute

Shehriazad
x4

Post by Shehriazad » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 22:44

Alm888 wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 21:42

Third, this "fits them all" approach to docks is from the day-1, it is not getting any worse. ;)
No no no that is not the point. "It is getting worse" is a reference to the fact that the amount of factions and races is going up...but the interior diversity stays at exactly 0. THIS is what is getting worse.
And that "easy there" condescending kind of comment is just unnecessary. I am just voicing my opinion here, one that quite a few seem to share.

And yeah it might not be the highest on the priority list to take a look at...but at least in part it's easy to at least partially fix. I don't think anyone is expecting full custom interiors for every faction, but some texture work or attached racial armor plates to generic building blocks can do wonders.

Return to “X4: Foundations”