Camera keeps auto-centering with head tracking

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

hoggy87

Camera keeps auto-centering with head tracking

Post by hoggy87 » Thu, 11. Jun 20, 15:56

I've had a good old look around for an answer to this but just cannot seem to find the information.

I am using FreeTrack to emulate TrackIR for head tracking. This works well. The problem I have is that when I stop moving my head, the camera resets to the central (straight ahead) position. When I move my head again (even slightly) the game gives control back to head tracking and it continues where it left off. It's like head tracking is paused or turned off when the game doesn't detect significant movement. This is especially annoying when looking just off centre as the camera keeps flicking between my head tracking direction and true centre.

I've found that the issue is lessened when I am using all six degrees of freedom. I guess this is because there is more movement to be detected. However, I prefer to disable the transition DOFs (pan and zoom) in this game because they're distracting and not really required. Using only 3 DOF, the issue is quite prominent and it pretty much ruins my head tracking experience.

Is there a way to disable this auto-centering? Cannot seem to see anything in the settings or the config files.

Any suggestions appreciated.

hoggy

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Camera keeps auto-centering with head tracking

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 11. Jun 20, 16:09

That really sounds more like a setting (inactivity handling/duration) that you would set up in the head tracker and its driver/control panel than in the game itself. I don't know that for sure though.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

hoggy87

Post by hoggy87 » Thu, 11. Jun 20, 16:29

Hi, I did think about that but I can see on the head tracking software that the direction of my head is maintained whilst the game auto centres i.e. the head position determined by the head tracking software does not deviate, but the game camera does.

This is the only game I've had this issue with. Works in DCS, Elite Dangerous, Euro Truck Sim 2 and a bunch of other titles.

Franc Kaos

Post by Franc Kaos » Sat, 13. Jun 20, 23:27

Not sure this is going to be super useful or anything (not sure what you're using), but someone at Reddit pointed me to this page for my EDTracker and it works really well - doesn't centre itself at least...
https://www.edtracker.co.uk/support/gam ... -opentrack

hoggy87

Post by hoggy87 » Sun, 14. Jun 20, 13:07

I'm using a program called FaceTrackNoIR to track a 3 IR LED headset. FaceTrackNoIR is using the FreeTrack protocol to emulate TrackIR. EDTracker seems to use OpenTrack (which is similar to FaceTrackNoIR) and also uses the FreeTrack protocol.

Maybe OpenTrack handles it differently. I'll give it a try anyway. Thanks.

Arterror

Post by Arterror » Thu, 23. Sep 21, 00:25

I have the same problem. The screen flickers more with FaceTrackNOIR. With Open track it works fine, but it will re-center itself within 3 sec when I stop moving my head ( OT ver. 2021.1.2) Did you manage @hoggy87 to fix it somehow?

hoggy87

Post by hoggy87 » Thu, 23. Sep 21, 19:28

Unfortunately not. I found it too annoying and stopped playing the game a long time ago. Not saying the game is bad, I just got distracted and started playing other stuff that wasn't annoying.

Return to “X4: Foundations”