V2.20 - Worst Update Yet!

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bozz11
x4

Re: V2.20 - Worst Update Yet!

Post by Bozz11 » Wed, 20. Mar 19, 19:49

They are lots of people like Roger on steam forums, some are exagerrating issues like hell, it's like every single ship is crashing on asteroids and stations if you listen to them xD
But I agree that they are still some issues but you can't say 2.2 is the worst update yet.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 20. Mar 19, 19:52

I'm rather happy with 2.20, but yeah - the game will go out of "Early Access" on 3.0.
However, remembering previous games I must say X4 is patched extremely fast - if they hit 3.0 in 6-7 months since release it would be Egosoft world record - X-Rebirth was not even worth starting the game at that time since release.

phrozen1
x4

Post by phrozen1 » Wed, 20. Mar 19, 20:03

As so many seem to be really angry about the state of X4 (and i am a little angry too)
i wanted to point out, that there is surely a reason for egosoft to release it like that.
Maybe they just needed money to keep on working on X4 in the first place.
I see the problem lies mostly in communication and marketing.

Many have stated allready that it would have been much better to release X4 as early access title.
And what made me angry the most were the post-release-posts and videos which made it seem like they are very proud of the state at which X4 was released.
And that repost of that "seemless-landing-fanboy"-video felt also pretty awkward.

Yes they did some surveys (with some rather questionable questions) but i miss honest communication the most.
Even just a "yes we know many people are not happy with X4 and we understand it and will work to make it better" would be nice.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Wed, 20. Mar 19, 20:12

Tht's neither of interest for the customer and therefore not a satisfying explanation at all, nor is this the correct topic to discuss this now. I am cross-moderating again, help me! :P

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

PresBartlet

Post by PresBartlet » Wed, 20. Mar 19, 20:49

sh1pman wrote:
Wed, 20. Mar 19, 13:59
PresBartlet wrote:
Wed, 20. Mar 19, 13:26
My point is that Egosoft are working hard to fix bugs but are also adding new features, at the behest of the Community I might add. The patches may cause a few other bugs but I trust that Egosoft will fix these in time.
True, but why it isn't called an Early Access title, I'll never understand.
A fair point but this is not the first time Egosoft have released a game which isn't quite what they imagined. XBTF was nothing like the X games we know today, if my old brain is remembering correctly, it wasn't until X-Tension when you could even fly another ship.

I played X4 on the day of release and I was quite impressed. For one thing, to be able to walk in and out of your ship, and then to be able to explore space stations was a giant leap for the series. I didn't mind the bugs, and Egosoft were up front about the fact that updates would be needed on and after the day of release.

Red Dead Redemption 2 was released without multiplayer but no-one complains about paying the full price for the game and not having this feature on day of release.

It is all subjective but in my opinion, there was enough of the a game to warrant the price I paid for the game. Though maybe I am just easily pleased. :D

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 20. Mar 19, 20:56

All these rather familiar first release discussions have nothing to do with 2.20 being the worst (or not) of the updates. Back on topic please.

@ Tamina: You're welcome, feel free at any time! :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

PresBartlet

Post by PresBartlet » Wed, 20. Mar 19, 21:42

Alan Phipps wrote:
Wed, 20. Mar 19, 20:56
All these rather familiar first release discussions have nothing to do with 2.20 being the worst (or not) of the updates. Back on topic please.

Oooh I remember why I came off forums now. 😂

ei8htx
x4

Post by ei8htx » Thu, 21. Mar 19, 00:47

Sheesh, I thought 2.2 was pretty good...

My game isn't crashing, issues with shipyards seem resolved. Yea, there's a LOT left to do to fix what was already broken, but I haven't observed anything newly broken.

graphicboy
xr

Post by graphicboy » Thu, 21. Mar 19, 01:24

ei8htx wrote:
Thu, 21. Mar 19, 00:47
Sheesh, I thought 2.2 was pretty good...

My game isn't crashing, issues with shipyards seem resolved. Yea, there's a LOT left to do to fix what was already broken, but I haven't observed anything newly broken.
This.

brekehan
x4

Post by brekehan » Thu, 21. Mar 19, 04:18

I bought the game at release and haven't played it since. I am scared I will burn myself out on the game before it is even fun. I am patiently waiting for 20 forums posts about how some patch made combat challenging and fun. Combat is more than 1/2 the game to me. I don't want to play before it makes me fire many neurons, triggers adrenaline production, and increases my dopamine levels.
To understand recursion you must first understand recursion.

Nafensoriel
x4

Post by Nafensoriel » Thu, 21. Mar 19, 04:44

Alan Phipps wrote:
Wed, 20. Mar 19, 20:56

This is off topic.. but I just realized after years here that the Germans get a cat moderator and the English don't.

We should get the pitchforks ready and make alan convert to the cat cult!
"A Tradition is only as good as it's ability to change." Nael

pvarn

Post by pvarn » Thu, 21. Mar 19, 05:47

I'm having a hard time seeing 2.20 as a giant step backward, rather a small creep forward on the issues I care about. I expect there have been major advances (based on the patch notes) in areas I do not experience. My opinion is this rant is over-stated.

Ragman
x4

Post by Ragman » Thu, 21. Mar 19, 06:15

Yeah so far my game is working much better, less lag etc

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Thu, 21. Mar 19, 07:57

Xenon_Slayer wrote:
Wed, 20. Mar 19, 11:20
Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:
Wed, 20. Mar 19, 07:04
At least some of the alleged "fixes" are either not working in all cases or may have even introduced problems when previously none were observed.
Just so things are clear, which issues specifically are you referencing? We of course aim to release versions where the fixes are effective and nothing retroactivly gets broken, but there are of course issues which are known but do not get addressed in that patch. During the 2.20 testing process, we did state that several issues are to be fixed in an upcoming patch, primarily so that we can get 2.20 out the door while it's in a state we consider acceptable. Anyway, let us know what issues you're talking about and we'll check if these are already fixed for the next version or on our radar.
There are a few issues but the two main observations that triggered my post were:-
  • Fixed never-ending conversations with NPCs via the target monitor. - I had never seen this before but as of 2.20 I have now seen an occurrence
  • Fixed NPC ships potentially waiting forever to restock at equipment docks. - This one I may have misinterpreted but even after 4+ hours of runtime without SETA in 2.20 there are still numerous ships floating around outside wharfs/EDs apparently stuck on the "Restock subordinates" (or something like that) command
In the grand scheme of things, these two issues are relatively minor in themselves BUT the problem is there seems to be an apparent trend wrt X4 and software quality as a whole. I have no doubt that the team at Egosoft are working hard on addressing the various issues but the quality of the X4 releases are generally sub-par for the X-series games IMO/IME.

There have been other concerns seemingly introduced with 2.20 too (including but not limited to):
  1. Integrated player shipyard/wharfs (and seemingly EDs - not confirmed) not able to equip cargo drones to ANY ship using the build screen despite having the plans for cargo drones (based on Station builds)
  2. Orders silently cancelling with no notification as at why despite not being assigned to a ship/station (this one may have been an existing issue but I have only really noted it in V2.20)
  3. Mouse interactions with UI elements (esp. popup trade dialogs) being even less user friendly than with V2.0 (there have been issues with mouse cursor interactions with the UI since initial release) - case in point: slider operation for cargo amounts in MORT dialogs not working reliably.
Sure, the game is getting more stable in terms of hard crashes and the new features are welcome in the main but that is besides the point...

It is a case of X4 V2.20 being more of the proverbial straw that break's the camel's back than any specific issues. It seems things on the general bugs front are getting progressively worse.
Last edited by Sam L.R. Griffiths on Thu, 21. Mar 19, 08:18, edited 1 time in total.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Thu, 21. Mar 19, 08:16

I do not appear to get some of these bugs.
Firstly I do no think I have run this game vanilla since launch-
I have been using FOCW the entire time along with some form of the auto trader script (TaterTrader/AutoTrade) Such as X3 AP I used the War Mod alongside Lights Universe like any sane person would use or at the very minimum the first install for X3 would be Lights Universe.

First thing I did for X4 was install anything which fixed a lot of the endless time with ships doing nothing and stations waiting with orders (FOCW + TradeStationSink) I am now using a mod called Station Balance which is based upon Trade Station sink, this makes stations dump wares to keep the economy going while the fixes in FOCW help with actually making the AI build things and expand and fight.

Along with a few annoyance fixes that those are the major two, my biggest gripe with the game is just how randomly the engine performs I honestly want to see more time is done with making functional game logic and fast logic to fix the AI behaviours and make sub-routines not CHEW threw CPU threads like a rat into your kitchen closet.

I am sitting on a Xeon 6 core atm clocked at 4.5ghz AMD 480 G1 Gaming, Yes slightly below spec but GFX has nothing to do with why the game is not playable sometimes.
I can be plotting along at a constant 80FPS in dead space when out of bloody nowhere I start hearing "hey stop firing atm, that's it!" then BANG frame rate will tank to 54-48 for up too 15mins at a time just because three or four ships decided to have a bit of feather rustle.If I dare go onto an open space station I am set to watch the still movie at 25-38 frames per second!!!!
Look I understand there is shit going in the background.. but the GPU is at 100% the gfx definitely are not doing anything demanding for the GPU what is it rendering a few mediocre modelled ships and station hubs yes I say this because you think I cannot tell the model quality is rather basic to keep performance up! There is nothing fancy going on with the lighting, sure SSAO is a frame killer but that is to be expected. however, nothing I do with GFX besides that makes it run any faster.
I mean sure it is A LOT better than on my old 4 core CPU that would not even maintain 60 while looking at a station within 10km of the player.

I think my point is not being made as I have been saying this since I first launched the game, something IS NOT RIGHT!!! with the game logic it is doing things which tie up the CPU too often causing it to hang at times causing severe frame stuttering they need to focus their time on the core engine performance the economic aspect is open let modders fix that for now.

I have talked a number of other players, a number of whom are running better hardware than me things like Ryzen 2800X so and 1070ti etc they still have the same problems I get albeit not as bad but they still get 10-20frame difference tanks under certain conditions.
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*
MOD GemFX Real Space Shaders
MOD Variety and Rebalance Overhaul Icon Pack
I lost my Hans and should not be flying Solo.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Thu, 21. Mar 19, 08:44

ledhead900 wrote:
Thu, 21. Mar 19, 08:16
I think my point is not being made as I have been saying this since I first launched the game, something IS NOT RIGHT!!! with the game logic it is doing things which tie up the CPU too often causing it to hang at times causing severe frame stuttering they need to focus their time on the core engine performance the economic aspect is open let modders fix that for now.
I believe we are on the same page here - there are numerous QOL-type bug issues with the baseline AI and game engine that detract from the improvements that are being made. There are numerous core issues which really need to be addressed before they add more stuff.

Where the AI logic is concerned, it is bound to be an on-going concern due to entity counts but that does not excuse some of the issues with orders hanging or being automatically and silently abandoned for no apparent reason. Order could not be completed notifications are seemingly not generated (or at least not logged) in all cases and orders are seemingly being auto-cancelled for no apparent reason.

The mouse driven interaction with the UI has been appalling since release, mis-clicks are STILL happening and at least some control hit box checks are obviously badly flawed (drop down menus for ammo/drones in the station layout screens for example). There are even some issues with entity selections from the map UI - for example: rubber band selection of ships can seemingly randomly auto-deselect (at least some of them) for no apparent reason.

I am normally quite pragmatic about game bugs but I do have my limits.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Thu, 21. Mar 19, 11:18

Thu, 21. Mar 19, 07:57
Fixed never-ending conversations with NPCs via the target monitor. - I had never seen this before but as of 2.20 I have now seen an occurrence
Bug report - There was an attempt to fix this but another case apparently remains. It's a tricky one as the issue doesn't survive savegames.
KlausM wrote:
Tue, 12. Mar 19, 16:52
Please confirm: You could save while the conversation window was still visible? Was the character in the window still moving after you saved, or was it a frozen image?
We would still like to know the above info when this happens.

Fixed NPC ships potentially waiting forever to restock at equipment docks. - This one I may have misinterpreted but even after 4+ hours of runtime without SETA in 2.20 there are still numerous ships floating around outside wharfs/EDs apparently stuck on the "Restock subordinates" (or something like that) command
There are improvements on the way for the queues at shipyards and equipment docks. If you do have such an issue, hosting a savegame or directly sending it to owen@egosoft.com would help us verify that our solutions clear your case.

I personally can't comment on the other issues at the moment. The cargo drone one will be something I'll look into and I'll make sure those involved are aware of the other issues if they aren't already.

Edit: As for 2.20 regressions, the only one I'm aware of is accepted War missions being removed after a certain amount of time.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

pref
x4

Post by pref » Thu, 21. Mar 19, 12:18

Xenon_Slayer wrote:
Thu, 21. Mar 19, 11:18
Fixed NPC ships potentially waiting forever to restock at equipment docks. - This one I may have misinterpreted but even after 4+ hours of runtime without SETA in 2.20 there are still numerous ships floating around outside wharfs/EDs apparently stuck on the "Restock subordinates" (or something like that) command
There are improvements on the way for the queues at shipyards and equipment docks. If you do have such an issue, hosting a savegame or directly sending it to owen@egosoft.com would help us verify that our solutions clear your case.
Don't think it's a queue issue - in this dropbox save the wharf has no ships in build queue, also has no ARG fighters docked. Was running the game on seta for a couple 10 mins but argon military just circle there seemingly endlessly.
Or if you mean there is a queue hidden from player then it might be that.
Also near ANT wharf there are a couple ships on resupply, have not found other factions' ships with a resupply order so i don't know if it affects them as well or only ANT/ARG.

SPiDER
x4

Post by SPiDER » Thu, 21. Mar 19, 13:13

@ Xenon Slayer yesterday I posted two save games in two threads about the "wharf Storage" and " Ships Returning From Venture" in those save games you can clearly see the behaviour of the ARG and ANT Military situation with ships stuck and orbit wharf problems
Argon Prime wharf orbit Colosus and subordinates "resupply" and 68 ship buildqueue
Argon Prime SHipyard 1 Behemoth "wait" command
Hat 3 Eqp Dock 1 Behemoth "wait" command
And Hop ships making it to Argon prime
And the ghost town that is SC11 because of the ARG ANT military problem

kobayashimaru
x4

Post by kobayashimaru » Thu, 21. Mar 19, 14:49

sh1pman wrote:
Wed, 20. Mar 19, 09:32
Wed, 20. Mar 19, 07:04
Egosoft is getting worse, not better with their Software Quality and the result is an unacceptable degree of product degradation.

In some ways, V2.20 is an improvement BUT in others it is a major misstep by Egosoft.

At least some of the alleged "fixes" are either not working in all cases or may have even introduced problems when previously none were observed. Egosoft really need to look more closely at their test and release strategy and address what seems to be a systematic problem with their current release process.
Weird, you’re the last person I’d expect to hear this from :) Things must be really broken if even people who usually defend the game (carriers, combat, economy, etc) are calling this out. Well, I myself stopped playing at around 1.60 ad decided to just wait for improvements. Guess I’m not done waiting yet...
Yes, the last person! Things must be getting really dire. :D

I postponed playing this game for a year or two. Maybe then, after 3-4 dlcs and 100 euros more this game becomes actually playable.

Return to “X4: Foundations”