Next steps in the evolution of X4: Foundations

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Locked
EliteLex
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat, 21. May 11, 23:01
xr

Re: Next steps in the evolution of X4: Foundations

Post by EliteLex » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 01:57

CBJ wrote:
Sat, 26. Jan 19, 18:38
Cinderelli wrote:
Sat, 26. Jan 19, 18:26
Thank you for posting this roadmap. Unlike other game developers, you are keeping your player base informed. Kudos to your whole team.
Could you please clarify if we will ever get multiple GPU support? There are many of us running SLI setups that want very much to play this game with the full utilization of both of our graphics cards.
Up to now we've not specified a particular version of Vulkan, and supporting SLI would mean we'd have to require Vulkan 1.1 for everyone. Not only that but because of the nature of Vulkan, we'd have to do all the work of supporting multiple GPUs; work that is done almost entirely by the drivers when using other APIs. So, this is a tricky one and we can't make any promises on it.
I think all AMD and Nvidia GPUs support 1.1 given they have updated drivers
source: https://vulkan.gpuinfo.org/

so even if I pick an old Nvidia GT 630 and have a driver 411.63.0.0 or higher installed, you will have for example Vulkan 1.1.82 capabilities.
According to this page even some Intel based GPUs would support 1.1

From a programmers perspective: The support check for the all GPUs in the system (regardless of SLI or not) you probably already have in place (checking supported queue families etc.). All you really have to do is setting up a device group.
And from here everything is abstracted anyways, as you only deal with logical (sub-)devices thereafter. So for executing command buffers for example you really don't need to do much different, as the drivers will take care of where to execute it.

tomchk
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon, 26. Jan 15, 20:55
x4

Re: Next steps in the evolution of X4: Foundations

Post by tomchk » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 03:22

sh1pman wrote:
Wed, 30. Jan 19, 21:56
I actually want to see some planned individual fixes mentioned. I don’t know, maybe like “Top ten issues that we’re aware of and are planning to fix by 2.0” or something like that. That would be great.
I would appreciate this as well!

waynetarlton
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri, 2. Nov 18, 09:49
x4

Re: Next steps in the evolution of X4: Foundations

Post by waynetarlton » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 04:31

elektrohawk wrote:
Sat, 26. Jan 19, 03:57
Thanks for the update, great to hear a little more about what's in the pipe, and that 2.0 is still in the February end of the timeline.

Really can't help but feel like the split expansion/DLC announcement is in really bad taste though. A lot of us have purchased this game knowing your (egosoft's) release model of essentially, release a really broken game, and gradually fix and improve it into something good, that becomes truly great with the addition of mods. We understand this, and we're happy to support the continued development of the game into what we hope it can be. However, at this point, so much of what we would consider basic functionality for an actual full release of the game is still being worked on, or isn't even listed in your timeline. Things take time, I understand, but it really sounds like you're favouring pushing out additional paid expansion/DLC content, before the game is even in a proper full release state. Now, I'm not saying specifically that '4-5 months is too soon', or anything of the sort. Rather that, releasing expansions before the intended base content is complete, is too soon.

Definitely appreciate the quick progress on bugs and patches though.
I fully agree with this.

Sephiros
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat, 21. Dec 13, 22:22
xr

Re: Next steps in the evolution of X4: Foundations

Post by Sephiros » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 10:25

Looking for more action here, having only economy to worry about made the game dull for me. The end product of X-Universe economy is ships, but there's no use for them in the end. My fleets have never seen a bigger threat than 3 Xenon destroyers and 10 fighters. Massive scale battles to protect systems from total wipes, sector capture and evolving Xenon which can build stations and hoard ships for massive attacks - this is what would make this game interesting for many. Inherently all players are looking for challenge when playing games, X4 so far offers little to no challenge, there's a room to grow when the game starts but after one explored all systems and built his empire there's nothing to do. There are no economy wars between corporations, there are no gun wars between factions, conflicts are on scale of a local skirmish...

Patiently checking forums and updates to see where this game goes or if someone started making a mod like Litcube's Universe for X3.

Falcrack
Posts: 2577
Joined: Wed, 29. Jul 09, 00:46
x4

Re: Next steps in the evolution of X4: Foundations

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 16:31

Sephiros wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 10:25
Looking for more action here, having only economy to worry about made the game dull for me. The end product of X-Universe economy is ships, but there's no use for them in the end. My fleets have never seen a bigger threat than 3 Xenon destroyers and 10 fighters. Massive scale battles to protect systems from total wipes, sector capture and evolving Xenon which can build stations and hoard ships for massive attacks - this is what would make this game interesting for many. Inherently all players are looking for challenge when playing games, X4 so far offers little to no challenge, there's a room to grow when the game starts but after one explored all systems and built his empire there's nothing to do. There are no economy wars between corporations, there are no gun wars between factions, conflicts are on scale of a local skirmish...

Patiently checking forums and updates to see where this game goes or if someone started making a mod like Litcube's Universe for X3.
While a challenge in terms of fending off invasions can be good, I feel that if stuff like this were to happen, it would need some sort of trigger action by the player, basically to indicate that they are ready for some sort of massive military adventure, with factions waging massive wars and conquering territories. Otherwise, you may get stuff like this happening to someone who has not been quite so ambitious in their game and is not prepared for military conflict and all of a sudden finds the game turned totally upside down on them.

Spartan1776
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun, 2. Dec 18, 20:37

Re: Next steps in the evolution of X4: Foundations

Post by Spartan1776 » Fri, 1. Feb 19, 04:01

It would be nice if there were a "difficulty" setting to define a logic that might challenge the player as the player strength increases. When I first got into X3: AP (yeah, I was a late bloomer), it took me fffooorreeevveerr to get going. If a fleet had swept in around the 40 hour mark, I'd have been toast. I may have just built my first station by then. lol X4 does seem a little slow, even in the Xenon sectors. But once I have a capital fleet, I need something to use it on.

Regarding the topic, im very happy with how communicative Egosoft has been. I'm very excited for the DLCs and future updates.

nemesis1982
Posts: 770
Joined: Wed, 29. Oct 08, 13:10
x4

Re: Next steps in the evolution of X4: Foundations

Post by nemesis1982 » Fri, 1. Feb 19, 11:11

Good to hear. Hope the DLC will be priced fairly and will contain a good story as well (a la XR not X4 ;) ).

Keep up the good work will wait for 3.0 and the DLC to pick things up again.
Save game editor XR and CAT/DAT Extractor
Keep in mind that it's still a work in progress although it's taking shape nicely.

If anyone is interested in a new save game editor for X4 and would like to contribute to the creation of one let me know. I do not have sufficient time to create it alone, but if there are enough people who want it and want to contribute we might be able to set something up.

theborg921
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun, 23. Sep 12, 22:31
x4

Re: Next steps in the evolution of X4: Foundations

Post by theborg921 » Fri, 1. Feb 19, 11:48

nemesis1982 wrote:
Fri, 1. Feb 19, 11:11
Good to hear. Hope the DLC will be priced fairly and will contain a good story as well (a la XR not X4 ;) ).

Keep up the good work will wait for 3.0 and the DLC to pick things up again.
+1

User avatar
jasonbarron
Posts: 714
Joined: Sun, 27. Mar 11, 16:25
x4

Re: Next steps in the evolution of X4: Foundations

Post by jasonbarron » Fri, 1. Feb 19, 16:19

I haven't played in a few months, but at the time I quit the autopilot (and ai pathing in general) was probably the worst I've ever seen in over three decades of gaming. If it hasn't been fixed since I took a break, an upcoming fix in one of the patches should be getting shouted from the roof tops.
Ayn Rand was correct.

adeine
Posts: 555
Joined: Thu, 31. Aug 17, 17:34
x4

Re: Next steps in the evolution of X4: Foundations

Post by adeine » Fri, 1. Feb 19, 19:33

jasonbarron wrote:
Fri, 1. Feb 19, 16:19
I haven't played in a few months, but at the time I quit the autopilot (and ai pathing in general) was probably the worst I've ever seen in over three decades of gaming. If it hasn't been fixed since I took a break, an upcoming fix in one of the patches should be getting shouted from the roof tops.
Hasn't been fixed yet.

User avatar
jasonbarron
Posts: 714
Joined: Sun, 27. Mar 11, 16:25
x4

Re: Next steps in the evolution of X4: Foundations

Post by jasonbarron » Sat, 2. Feb 19, 01:13

adeine wrote:
Fri, 1. Feb 19, 19:33
jasonbarron wrote:
Fri, 1. Feb 19, 16:19
I haven't played in a few months, but at the time I quit the autopilot (and ai pathing in general) was probably the worst I've ever seen in over three decades of gaming. If it hasn't been fixed since I took a break, an upcoming fix in one of the patches should be getting shouted from the roof tops.
Hasn't been fixed yet.
Ouch. Generally speaking I'm a supporter of egosoft, but I'm kinda getting the impression here that they're either cherry picking like crazy or just out of touch with what people's complaints actually are.
Ayn Rand was correct.

shealladh
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu, 11. Jun 09, 13:29
x4

Re: Next steps in the evolution of X4: Foundations

Post by shealladh » Sat, 2. Feb 19, 06:23

jasonbarron wrote:
Sat, 2. Feb 19, 01:13
adeine wrote:
Fri, 1. Feb 19, 19:33
jasonbarron wrote:
Fri, 1. Feb 19, 16:19
I haven't played in a few months, but at the time I quit the autopilot (and ai pathing in general) was probably the worst I've ever seen in over three decades of gaming. If it hasn't been fixed since I took a break, an upcoming fix in one of the patches should be getting shouted from the roof tops.
Hasn't been fixed yet.
Ouch. Generally speaking I'm a supporter of egosoft, but I'm kinda getting the impression here that they're either cherry picking like crazy or just out of touch with what people's complaints actually are.
Agreed.
That Said, I do however understand that the sheer amount of things that need to reworked, fixed, etc. goes on a list and ES has responded as to why certain things are a priority over others. Like if it's game breaking (CTD, etc.) it's high priority and then they work down through others. There are quite a few threads where they address these matters.

Even saying in one, that not all bugs being fixed are on the roadmap, but they fix them on the fly for minor ones and so on. So given time, like for me 2.0 is the waiting state for me to continue, they'll get these issues addressed.

People just need to list them, rather than just whining, the more factual information you can give, the easier it is for them to address when they can get to those.

User avatar
consiefe
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu, 3. Sep 15, 11:23

Re: Next steps in the evolution of X4: Foundations

Post by consiefe » Sat, 2. Feb 19, 13:14

shealladh wrote:
Sat, 2. Feb 19, 06:23

Agreed.
That Said, I do however understand that the sheer amount of things that need to reworked, fixed, etc. goes on a list and ES has responded as to why certain things are a priority over others. Like if it's game breaking (CTD, etc.) it's high priority and then they work down through others. There are quite a few threads where they address these matters.

Even saying in one, that not all bugs being fixed are on the roadmap, but they fix them on the fly for minor ones and so on. So given time, like for me 2.0 is the waiting state for me to continue, they'll get these issues addressed.

People just need to list them, rather than just whining, the more factual information you can give, the easier it is for them to address when they can get to those.
Most certainly you're right. I'll try;

1. Turrets are obviously needs some balancing as they are ineffective at best at doing their duties, filling their roles.
2. Faction AI has to have the abilities declaring wars, taking sectors and making peaces. We have to get notified via some mechanics.
3. Fleet mechanics and orders need to be sorted out as of now they are having a hard time obeying the commands and behave the opposite way as they are told.
4. We need hotkeys to manage target actions like scan, attack my target etc.
5. We need some sort of fixed costs like crew wages and imaginary fuel and maintenance costs for ships.
6. We need more characterised ships, I mean their roles. i.e. Distinguishing a bomber with a real bomber features.
7. Encyclopedia of course but they are on it.

These are my top five list but the problem is most of them are not bugs, they're gameplay features which some of us feel this is what it should be but because of the time shortage, they are left out. They feel half-finished. Still there is a slight possibility that we can't figure out the mechanics and we need Egosoft to explain us properly maybe through encyclopedia.

Egosoft wrote a roadmap and it's exciting to see some of the upcoming things like shipyards and more ships, but I didn't see any thoughts of these topics. Maybe I wasn't careful enough to see it but I would like to know what they are thinking on these matters.
If science shows that the god exist, I choose to believe in science. If god shows that he exist and science proves that it's legit, I ask to god "where do I sign?"

shealladh
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu, 11. Jun 09, 13:29
x4

Re: Next steps in the evolution of X4: Foundations

Post by shealladh » Sat, 2. Feb 19, 14:29

consiefe wrote:
Sat, 2. Feb 19, 13:14
shealladh wrote:
Sat, 2. Feb 19, 06:23

Agreed.
That Said, I do however understand that the sheer amount of things that need to reworked, fixed, etc. goes on a list and ES has responded as to why certain things are a priority over others. Like if it's game breaking (CTD, etc.) it's high priority and then they work down through others. There are quite a few threads where they address these matters.

Even saying in one, that not all bugs being fixed are on the roadmap, but they fix them on the fly for minor ones and so on. So given time, like for me 2.0 is the waiting state for me to continue, they'll get these issues addressed.

People just need to list them, rather than just whining, the more factual information you can give, the easier it is for them to address when they can get to those.
Most certainly you're right. I'll try;

1. Turrets are obviously needs some balancing as they are ineffective at best at doing their duties, filling their roles.
2. Faction AI has to have the abilities declaring wars, taking sectors and making peaces. We have to get notified via some mechanics.
3. Fleet mechanics and orders need to be sorted out as of now they are having a hard time obeying the commands and behave the opposite way as they are told.
4. We need hotkeys to manage target actions like scan, attack my target etc.
5. We need some sort of fixed costs like crew wages and imaginary fuel and maintenance costs for ships.
6. We need more characterised ships, I mean their roles. i.e. Distinguishing a bomber with a real bomber features.
7. Encyclopedia of course but they are on it.

These are my top five list but the problem is most of them are not bugs, they're gameplay features which some of us feel this is what it should be but because of the time shortage, they are left out. They feel half-finished. Still there is a slight possibility that we can't figure out the mechanics and we need Egosoft to explain us properly maybe through encyclopedia.

Egosoft wrote a roadmap and it's exciting to see some of the upcoming things like shipyards and more ships, but I didn't see any thoughts of these topics. Maybe I wasn't careful enough to see it but I would like to know what they are thinking on these matters.
Cool, nice list

Waiting for someone to MOD in fuel and other things to balance the economy as well.

User avatar
consiefe
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu, 3. Sep 15, 11:23

Re: Next steps in the evolution of X4: Foundations

Post by consiefe » Sat, 2. Feb 19, 15:58

shealladh wrote:
Sat, 2. Feb 19, 14:29
consiefe wrote:
Sat, 2. Feb 19, 13:14
shealladh wrote:
Sat, 2. Feb 19, 06:23

Agreed.
That Said, I do however understand that the sheer amount of things that need to reworked, fixed, etc. goes on a list and ES has responded as to why certain things are a priority over others. Like if it's game breaking (CTD, etc.) it's high priority and then they work down through others. There are quite a few threads where they address these matters.

Even saying in one, that not all bugs being fixed are on the roadmap, but they fix them on the fly for minor ones and so on. So given time, like for me 2.0 is the waiting state for me to continue, they'll get these issues addressed.

People just need to list them, rather than just whining, the more factual information you can give, the easier it is for them to address when they can get to those.
Most certainly you're right. I'll try;

1. Turrets are obviously needs some balancing as they are ineffective at best at doing their duties, filling their roles.
2. Faction AI has to have the abilities declaring wars, taking sectors and making peaces. We have to get notified via some mechanics.
3. Fleet mechanics and orders need to be sorted out as of now they are having a hard time obeying the commands and behave the opposite way as they are told.
4. We need hotkeys to manage target actions like scan, attack my target etc.
5. We need some sort of fixed costs like crew wages and imaginary fuel and maintenance costs for ships.
6. We need more characterised ships, I mean their roles. i.e. Distinguishing a bomber with a real bomber features.
7. Encyclopedia of course but they are on it.

These are my top five list but the problem is most of them are not bugs, they're gameplay features which some of us feel this is what it should be but because of the time shortage, they are left out. They feel half-finished. Still there is a slight possibility that we can't figure out the mechanics and we need Egosoft to explain us properly maybe through encyclopedia.

Egosoft wrote a roadmap and it's exciting to see some of the upcoming things like shipyards and more ships, but I didn't see any thoughts of these topics. Maybe I wasn't careful enough to see it but I would like to know what they are thinking on these matters.
Cool, nice list

Waiting for someone to MOD in fuel and other things to balance the economy as well.
I see that you don't give a chance that ES is implementing fuel and probably you're right. I'd be fine with imaginary fuel only as a cost though or a speed nerf much more preferable. Maybe, maybe. The game has lots of opportunities to reach its potential but if only ES seizes them. I see mods as a last resort and I don't want to rely on them unless Egosoft doesn't deliver needed fixes/complete features. It's also an early-ish phase for giving up on that. Like you I'm waiting 2.0 to hit either to give up my hopes or embrace the vanilla till I get bored. :)
If science shows that the god exist, I choose to believe in science. If god shows that he exist and science proves that it's legit, I ask to god "where do I sign?"

Locked

Return to “X4: Foundations”