Next steps in the evolution of X4: Foundations

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Chobittsu
x4

Re: Next steps in the evolution of X4: Foundations

Post by Chobittsu » Sat, 26. Jan 19, 04:10

When you say the first expansion will include the Split, those this also include more varied split character models? Such as those seen in the concept arts?

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sat, 26. Jan 19, 04:41

DollopOfCrazy wrote:
Sat, 26. Jan 19, 03:53
These updates and the DLC sounds good to me for sure, but at this point, I'm more interested in more basic feature fixes.

BIG BATTLES:
For instance, I think the VAST difference between in system (IS) and out of system (OOS) battle mechanics makes having big battles in X4 virtually pointless. In general, if you are IS and participate with a well balanced fleet, your fleet is doomed, but if you direct the battle OOS, the same fleet is almost guaranteed success. I know I'm generalizing this, but it's basically the case. EgoSoft, you really need to address this soon!

Other points related to the one above:
* In the hands of NPCs, plasmas weapons should not be all powerful OOS and next useless IS.
* Laser Towers should not be very powerful IS and completely useless sitting ducks OOS.
* Consumables not consumed OOS, but consumed IS.
* ... many more examples ...

Basically battle progression needs to be much much closer whether IS or OOS!
I am not sure how battle calculations work out of sector (OOS), but there could possibly be a way to calculate chance to hit, rather than simply give a 100% chance to hit for OOS combat calculations. This would probably be a function of distance to target, speed of the projectile, and size of the target, and target maneuverability. So powerful but slow projectiles would not become OP OOS but useless in sector against small fighters, while still being effective against large, slow moving, unmaneuverable capital ships.

peteran
x4

Post by peteran » Sat, 26. Jan 19, 05:29

Glad to see this although I haven't felt the lack of communication as I read (or at least glance) forum posts, sit on discord and participate in the beta testing.

CBJ: This is going to be posted in news on Steam too, right?

shahman76
x4

Post by shahman76 » Sat, 26. Jan 19, 06:47

Thanks ES for this udpate. Looks exciting! Im specially excited about new mission types and shipyards. Cant wait!

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Sat, 26. Jan 19, 08:01

Looking really sweet. I been quite busy in RL but I think I will do another play through / series for 3.0. I got a decent upgrade too a 9900k and a RTX 2080 so I should be able to play a bit more smoother haha.

Adalphage
x4

Post by Adalphage » Sat, 26. Jan 19, 08:08

And here we are, people complain about lack of communication and a few days after we got this post. Damn Egosoft, if I were a game developer I would like to be like you. Keep up with the good work, I'm really excited about all the milestones!

ZeroBoogie
x4

Post by ZeroBoogie » Sat, 26. Jan 19, 08:34

You guys at Egosoft are the best, you just made a good start of the year even better. In fact you just made my year :mrgreen: :wink: :)

DannyDSC
x4

Post by DannyDSC » Sat, 26. Jan 19, 10:08

I know maybe is not "crucial" at this point, but for the future I think might be a good idea to add a REAL manual. Ok we've a wiki, but isn't suitable for a game of this scale. Even Rebirth have a manual, and X4 is more complex and deeper. At least for me, is time to have a manual
The Indie Seeker - The Twitter Channel for your indiegames!

Ex Egosoft Translator/Currently writer for www.ilvideogioco.com

@IlVideogiococom is the ONLY italian website that offers full coverage to ALL #indiegames! Are you an #indiedev?
Feel free to follow and contact us on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram!

Starman01
x4

Post by Starman01 » Sat, 26. Jan 19, 10:18

Sounds great to me :) Only sad thing is that I have to wait even longer for my beloved borons. Never was that much of a split fan, usually I mostly stayed out of their sectors, just likes some of their ships

El Novato
x4

Post by El Novato » Sat, 26. Jan 19, 10:20

is it possible at this stage to advance some of the thoughts future features for the ventures ?

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Sat, 26. Jan 19, 10:31

Before release: "We definitely plan to support Linux. Whether it will start with Windows or a little bit later will be decided close to release". Two months after release:
CBJ wrote:
Sat, 26. Jan 19, 01:18
...We aim to release 2.0 in February...

Linux version: We hope the Linux beta can start somewhere between 2.0 and 2.50 already but at the latest together with this update.
So... Aprimay? Jugust? :shock:
In December we released our very first online mode in an X game: Ventures. With the Updates 2.0 to 3.0 we will also continue work on more and better online ventures. So stay tuned for more exciting online missions.
Are there any plans to bring us players-in-waiting on par with Windows players in terms of Venture missions and unique rewards?

Helken Mootyflops
x4

Post by Helken Mootyflops » Sat, 26. Jan 19, 11:12

Firstly, thank you for the game, for keeping your eyes on the prize, and for communicating with us! You are titans of the genre as far as I'm concerned and I can have some patience.

I notice that a few things I think are really important are not explicitly mentioned here and this roadmap stretches many iterations in the future, so I'd like to ask some questions If you wouldn't mind. If I strike a hectoring tone it is accidental, that is not what I mean yo put across, but text can be funny like that. Anyway:

1. I notice that shipyards and resupply ships *imply* that work will be done on large ships and fleets, and I am keen to see this. So work on balancing, AI behaviour, turret stuff like point defence, UI, weapons, fleet command, essentially so that commanding large numbers of large ships and having battles/doing other things with them is as close to optimal as you can get it in terms of functionality and UI. Is this the case, or will no work be done on this stuff before patch 3.0?

I can't speak for anyone else, but having played X4 after X3 I am finding this is a chokepoint in the natural flow of game progression, like this is where you go looking to spend your profits(ss), that i think lots of other people must be having their enjoyment slow down at the point of fielding fleets. Am I mad to think this? Maybe, but I don't think so.

Small side note here: I expect with the new graphics there may be concerns of performance in large battles, and I also expect there will be things you want to try out for gameplay reasons. If you wanted to release a separate beta where you experiment with large battles and we a) have to crank settings right down to ridiculous levels to try it out b) act as guinea pigs for mechanics you think might work, I think you will find many of us would be up for this.

2. Similar question to the above for trading, stuff like repeating orders or being able to cross off wares from the station traders' lists, BUT I appreciate some of this is design decision and we can mod it, so lots less important than 1 for me.

3. Weapon variety: just say if you're going to be mysterious on this for a reason, but I think there is a paucity of weapons, especially ones with interesting effects, both literally and visually. Are you able to categorically say whether you intend to add to the weapon selection available before patch 3.0 and the DLC? It would be better not to hope for it for all that time in vain.

SheppardSG1
x4

Post by SheppardSG1 » Sat, 26. Jan 19, 11:29

Vsync off option avail in new update please ? :)

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Sat, 26. Jan 19, 11:37

that triple is vsync off
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 26. Jan 19, 11:54

ei8htx wrote:
Sat, 26. Jan 19, 02:32
Excited to hear 2.0 is aiming for February!

Any insight on when 3.0 is coming? Any timeline, including quarter or year granularity would be nice :)
As it says in the announcement, we're aiming for February for 2.0. If things take longer than expected then we are not guaranteeing it.

As we go further down the list, the number of unknowns increases so giving dates would be extremely unwise.
mtoomb wrote:
Sat, 26. Jan 19, 03:31
Any news on MacOS support? Pleeeease? My go to gaming laptop is a brick I can’t afford to replace or repair thanks to my wife buying a brand new iMac. So I’ll wait... patiently... ;)
I'm afraid there are no plans for MacOS support, for the simple reason that MacOS does not support Vulkan.
DollopOfCrazy wrote:
Sat, 26. Jan 19, 03:53
These updates and the DLC sounds good to me for sure, but at this point, I'm more interested in more basic feature fixes.
As it says in the announcement, there will be lots of fixes, both in these main updates and in between. Which ones exactly get included in which patch depend on various factors, making it very hard to give specifics far in advance.
peteran wrote:
Sat, 26. Jan 19, 05:29
CBJ: This is going to be posted in news on Steam too, right?
It was posted on Steam a few minutes after it was posted here.
El Novato wrote:
Sat, 26. Jan 19, 10:20
is it possible at this stage to advance some of the thoughts future features for the ventures ?
We've already talked about adding different types of missions, and we have various ideas, but we're very much seeing how things go with Ventures before we make firm decisions about other additional features.
radcapricorn wrote:
Sat, 26. Jan 19, 10:31
Are there any plans to bring us players-in-waiting on par with Windows players in terms of Venture missions and unique rewards?
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. If you're asking whether the Linux version will support Ventures, then I see no reason why they shouldn't.
SheppardSG1 wrote:
Sat, 26. Jan 19, 11:29
Vsync off option avail in new update please ? :)
This option has been in the game since release. There was (and may still be) a problem with the labelling of the VSync options in the NVIDIA driver interface, that means the option to turn it off is actually shown as "Triple Buffering".

Bozz11
x4

Post by Bozz11 » Sat, 26. Jan 19, 11:59

Hello, Thanks for feedback it 's nice to see more communication
I still hope you make it righjt :)

El Novato
x4

Post by El Novato » Sat, 26. Jan 19, 11:59

Thank you.

Miniding
x4

Post by Miniding » Sat, 26. Jan 19, 12:17

Glad to see all of those new features and improvements!!! Many thanks for the work done so far as I trully enjoy x4 !!!
Keep up as you always do the good work

Thanks again
Miniding
X3 Reunion - X3 Terran Conflict - X3 Albion Prelude - X Rebirth - X4 CE...

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Sat, 26. Jan 19, 12:46

CBJ wrote:
Sat, 26. Jan 19, 01:18
Another focus for 2.00 is to make crew training a bit easier. Crew and pilots gain experience by doing their jobs; more so in some areas than others. However, while the first two stars are very easy to gain, the progress slows down after that. Getting from the 3rd to the 4th star takes a LOT more experience than from the 1st to the 2nd.
Is seminars going to be implemented or Im wasting my time collecting them???
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Sat, 26. Jan 19, 12:50

Adding new missions should be priority above anything else. Game is just too shallow and not much to do when it comes to mid/end game. Missions that we have are usually take too long( when you need to find ship) and rewards are too small. This pretty much makes all missions obsolete in mid/late gameplay. Also flying from station to station hoping there is mission you like Is stupid and boring. I thought ego learned this from previous titles :(

When it comes to combat missions war missions are the only chance we have. This is not really choice for many because at this point trading and war don't work together. AI is just too stupid and it will fly trough those sectors and commit suicide..Hopefully blacklisting sectors will fix this and I hope they spawn plain old pirates so we don't have to worry about rep losses with other factions (I hate this about X4).

ONLINE ventures I ignore for obvious reasons :roll: It is actually good idea and feature but I just don't like ONLINE part. Sending free ships for someone to board or bail without any consequences is not that appealing. I personally think making offline featur like Metal Gear Solid V or Mass Effect Andromeda would be much better. Egosoft should take notes from games where this worked...

Anyway I personally wont be starting to play game until 3.0 as there is not much to do until than. I'm also excited to see player shipyards.
Last edited by Nikola515 on Sat, 26. Jan 19, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

Return to “X4: Foundations”