Next steps in the evolution of X4: Foundations

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

EliteLex
xr

Re: Next steps in the evolution of X4: Foundations

Post by EliteLex » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 00:57

CBJ wrote:
Sat, 26. Jan 19, 17:38
Cinderelli wrote:
Sat, 26. Jan 19, 17:26
Thank you for posting this roadmap. Unlike other game developers, you are keeping your player base informed. Kudos to your whole team.
Could you please clarify if we will ever get multiple GPU support? There are many of us running SLI setups that want very much to play this game with the full utilization of both of our graphics cards.
Up to now we've not specified a particular version of Vulkan, and supporting SLI would mean we'd have to require Vulkan 1.1 for everyone. Not only that but because of the nature of Vulkan, we'd have to do all the work of supporting multiple GPUs; work that is done almost entirely by the drivers when using other APIs. So, this is a tricky one and we can't make any promises on it.
I think all AMD and Nvidia GPUs support 1.1 given they have updated drivers
source: https://vulkan.gpuinfo.org/

so even if I pick an old Nvidia GT 630 and have a driver 411.63.0.0 or higher installed, you will have for example Vulkan 1.1.82 capabilities.
According to this page even some Intel based GPUs would support 1.1

From a programmers perspective: The support check for the all GPUs in the system (regardless of SLI or not) you probably already have in place (checking supported queue families etc.). All you really have to do is setting up a device group.
And from here everything is abstracted anyways, as you only deal with logical (sub-)devices thereafter. So for executing command buffers for example you really don't need to do much different, as the drivers will take care of where to execute it.

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 02:22

sh1pman wrote:
Wed, 30. Jan 19, 20:56
I actually want to see some planned individual fixes mentioned. I don’t know, maybe like “Top ten issues that we’re aware of and are planning to fix by 2.0” or something like that. That would be great.
I would appreciate this as well!
Care to see what I've been creating? https://www.youtube.com/user/ytubrute

waynetarlton
x4

Post by waynetarlton » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 03:31

elektrohawk wrote:
Sat, 26. Jan 19, 02:57
Thanks for the update, great to hear a little more about what's in the pipe, and that 2.0 is still in the February end of the timeline.

Really can't help but feel like the split expansion/DLC announcement is in really bad taste though. A lot of us have purchased this game knowing your (egosoft's) release model of essentially, release a really broken game, and gradually fix and improve it into something good, that becomes truly great with the addition of mods. We understand this, and we're happy to support the continued development of the game into what we hope it can be. However, at this point, so much of what we would consider basic functionality for an actual full release of the game is still being worked on, or isn't even listed in your timeline. Things take time, I understand, but it really sounds like you're favouring pushing out additional paid expansion/DLC content, before the game is even in a proper full release state. Now, I'm not saying specifically that '4-5 months is too soon', or anything of the sort. Rather that, releasing expansions before the intended base content is complete, is too soon.

Definitely appreciate the quick progress on bugs and patches though.
I fully agree with this.

Sephiros
xr

Post by Sephiros » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 09:25

Looking for more action here, having only economy to worry about made the game dull for me. The end product of X-Universe economy is ships, but there's no use for them in the end. My fleets have never seen a bigger threat than 3 Xenon destroyers and 10 fighters. Massive scale battles to protect systems from total wipes, sector capture and evolving Xenon which can build stations and hoard ships for massive attacks - this is what would make this game interesting for many. Inherently all players are looking for challenge when playing games, X4 so far offers little to no challenge, there's a room to grow when the game starts but after one explored all systems and built his empire there's nothing to do. There are no economy wars between corporations, there are no gun wars between factions, conflicts are on scale of a local skirmish...

Patiently checking forums and updates to see where this game goes or if someone started making a mod like Litcube's Universe for X3.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 31. Jan 19, 15:31

Sephiros wrote:
Thu, 31. Jan 19, 09:25
Looking for more action here, having only economy to worry about made the game dull for me. The end product of X-Universe economy is ships, but there's no use for them in the end. My fleets have never seen a bigger threat than 3 Xenon destroyers and 10 fighters. Massive scale battles to protect systems from total wipes, sector capture and evolving Xenon which can build stations and hoard ships for massive attacks - this is what would make this game interesting for many. Inherently all players are looking for challenge when playing games, X4 so far offers little to no challenge, there's a room to grow when the game starts but after one explored all systems and built his empire there's nothing to do. There are no economy wars between corporations, there are no gun wars between factions, conflicts are on scale of a local skirmish...

Patiently checking forums and updates to see where this game goes or if someone started making a mod like Litcube's Universe for X3.
While a challenge in terms of fending off invasions can be good, I feel that if stuff like this were to happen, it would need some sort of trigger action by the player, basically to indicate that they are ready for some sort of massive military adventure, with factions waging massive wars and conquering territories. Otherwise, you may get stuff like this happening to someone who has not been quite so ambitious in their game and is not prepared for military conflict and all of a sudden finds the game turned totally upside down on them.

Spartan1776

Post by Spartan1776 » Fri, 1. Feb 19, 03:01

It would be nice if there were a "difficulty" setting to define a logic that might challenge the player as the player strength increases. When I first got into X3: AP (yeah, I was a late bloomer), it took me fffooorreeevveerr to get going. If a fleet had swept in around the 40 hour mark, I'd have been toast. I may have just built my first station by then. lol X4 does seem a little slow, even in the Xenon sectors. But once I have a capital fleet, I need something to use it on.

Regarding the topic, im very happy with how communicative Egosoft has been. I'm very excited for the DLCs and future updates.

nemesis1982
x4

Post by nemesis1982 » Fri, 1. Feb 19, 10:11

Good to hear. Hope the DLC will be priced fairly and will contain a good story as well (a la XR not X4 ;) ).

Keep up the good work will wait for 3.0 and the DLC to pick things up again.
Save game editor XR and CAT/DAT Extractor
Keep in mind that it's still a work in progress although it's taking shape nicely.

If anyone is interested in a new save game editor for X4 and would like to contribute to the creation of one let me know. I do not have sufficient time to create it alone, but if there are enough people who want it and want to contribute we might be able to set something up.

theborg921
x4

Post by theborg921 » Fri, 1. Feb 19, 10:48

nemesis1982 wrote:
Fri, 1. Feb 19, 10:11
Good to hear. Hope the DLC will be priced fairly and will contain a good story as well (a la XR not X4 ;) ).

Keep up the good work will wait for 3.0 and the DLC to pick things up again.
+1

jasonbarron
x4

Post by jasonbarron » Fri, 1. Feb 19, 15:19

I haven't played in a few months, but at the time I quit the autopilot (and ai pathing in general) was probably the worst I've ever seen in over three decades of gaming. If it hasn't been fixed since I took a break, an upcoming fix in one of the patches should be getting shouted from the roof tops.
Ayn Rand was correct.

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Fri, 1. Feb 19, 18:33

jasonbarron wrote:
Fri, 1. Feb 19, 15:19
I haven't played in a few months, but at the time I quit the autopilot (and ai pathing in general) was probably the worst I've ever seen in over three decades of gaming. If it hasn't been fixed since I took a break, an upcoming fix in one of the patches should be getting shouted from the roof tops.
Hasn't been fixed yet.

jasonbarron
x4

Post by jasonbarron » Sat, 2. Feb 19, 00:13

adeine wrote:
Fri, 1. Feb 19, 18:33
jasonbarron wrote:
Hasn't been fixed yet.
Ouch. Generally speaking I'm a supporter of egosoft, but I'm kinda getting the impression here that they're either cherry picking like crazy or just out of touch with what people's complaints actually are.
Ayn Rand was correct.

shealladh
x4

Post by shealladh » Sat, 2. Feb 19, 05:23

jasonbarron wrote:
Sat, 2. Feb 19, 00:13
adeine wrote:
jasonbarron wrote:
Hasn't been fixed yet.
Ouch. Generally speaking I'm a supporter of egosoft, but I'm kinda getting the impression here that they're either cherry picking like crazy or just out of touch with what people's complaints actually are.
Agreed.
That Said, I do however understand that the sheer amount of things that need to reworked, fixed, etc. goes on a list and ES has responded as to why certain things are a priority over others. Like if it's game breaking (CTD, etc.) it's high priority and then they work down through others. There are quite a few threads where they address these matters.

Even saying in one, that not all bugs being fixed are on the roadmap, but they fix them on the fly for minor ones and so on. So given time, like for me 2.0 is the waiting state for me to continue, they'll get these issues addressed.

People just need to list them, rather than just whining, the more factual information you can give, the easier it is for them to address when they can get to those.

consiefe

Post by consiefe » Sat, 2. Feb 19, 12:14

shealladh wrote:
Sat, 2. Feb 19, 05:23

Agreed.
That Said, I do however understand that the sheer amount of things that need to reworked, fixed, etc. goes on a list and ES has responded as to why certain things are a priority over others. Like if it's game breaking (CTD, etc.) it's high priority and then they work down through others. There are quite a few threads where they address these matters.

Even saying in one, that not all bugs being fixed are on the roadmap, but they fix them on the fly for minor ones and so on. So given time, like for me 2.0 is the waiting state for me to continue, they'll get these issues addressed.

People just need to list them, rather than just whining, the more factual information you can give, the easier it is for them to address when they can get to those.
Most certainly you're right. I'll try;

1. Turrets are obviously needs some balancing as they are ineffective at best at doing their duties, filling their roles.
2. Faction AI has to have the abilities declaring wars, taking sectors and making peaces. We have to get notified via some mechanics.
3. Fleet mechanics and orders need to be sorted out as of now they are having a hard time obeying the commands and behave the opposite way as they are told.
4. We need hotkeys to manage target actions like scan, attack my target etc.
5. We need some sort of fixed costs like crew wages and imaginary fuel and maintenance costs for ships.
6. We need more characterised ships, I mean their roles. i.e. Distinguishing a bomber with a real bomber features.
7. Encyclopedia of course but they are on it.

These are my top five list but the problem is most of them are not bugs, they're gameplay features which some of us feel this is what it should be but because of the time shortage, they are left out. They feel half-finished. Still there is a slight possibility that we can't figure out the mechanics and we need Egosoft to explain us properly maybe through encyclopedia.

Egosoft wrote a roadmap and it's exciting to see some of the upcoming things like shipyards and more ships, but I didn't see any thoughts of these topics. Maybe I wasn't careful enough to see it but I would like to know what they are thinking on these matters.

shealladh
x4

Post by shealladh » Sat, 2. Feb 19, 13:29

consiefe wrote:
Sat, 2. Feb 19, 12:14
shealladh wrote:

Agreed.

1. Turrets are obviously needs some balancing as they are ineffective at best at doing their duties, filling their roles.
2. Faction AI has to have the abilities declaring wars, taking sectors and making peaces. We have to get notified via some mechanics.
3. Fleet mechanics and orders need to be sorted out as of now they are having a hard time obeying the commands and behave the opposite way as they are told.
5. We need some sort of fixed costs like crew wages and imaginary fuel and maintenance costs for ships.
6. We need more characterised ships, I mean their roles. i.e. Distinguishing a bomber with a real bomber features.

These are my top five list but the problem is most of them are not bugs, they're gameplay features which some of us feel this is what it should be but because of the time shortage, they are left out. They feel half-finished. Still there is a slight possibility that we can't figure out the mechanics and we need Egosoft to explain us properly maybe through encyclopedia.

Egosoft wrote a roadmap and it's exciting to see some of the upcoming things like shipyards and more ships, but I didn't see any thoughts of these topics. Maybe I wasn't careful enough to see it but I would like to know what they are thinking on these matters.
Cool, nice list

Waiting for someone to MOD in fuel and other things to balance the economy as well.

consiefe

Post by consiefe » Sat, 2. Feb 19, 14:58

shealladh wrote:
Sat, 2. Feb 19, 13:29
consiefe wrote:
Sat, 2. Feb 19, 12:14
shealladh wrote:

Agreed.

Cool, nice list

Waiting for someone to MOD in fuel and other things to balance the economy as well.
I see that you don't give a chance that ES is implementing fuel and probably you're right. I'd be fine with imaginary fuel only as a cost though or a speed nerf much more preferable. Maybe, maybe. The game has lots of opportunities to reach its potential but if only ES seizes them. I see mods as a last resort and I don't want to rely on them unless Egosoft doesn't deliver needed fixes/complete features. It's also an early-ish phase for giving up on that. Like you I'm waiting 2.0 to hit either to give up my hopes or embrace the vanilla till I get bored. :)

shealladh
x4

Post by shealladh » Sat, 2. Feb 19, 19:08

consiefe wrote:
Sat, 2. Feb 19, 14:58
I see that you don't give a chance that ES is implementing fuel and probably you're right. I'd be fine with imaginary fuel only as a cost though or a speed nerf much more preferable. Maybe, maybe.
At this point in time, yes.
The game has lots of opportunities to reach its potential but if only ES seizes them.

Personally I miss jump drives and the use of energy cells. Not a lot of people do think the same, yet having energy cells or combined with other components just adds more to the economy and fleshes out the flow of wares, imho is a good thing.
Well when we get some good thoughts out, and expand upon them giving them a reason to look at such a change/addition and why :wink:
I see mods as a last resort and I don't want to rely on them unless Egosoft doesn't deliver needed fixes/complete features. It's also an early-ish phase for giving up on that. Like you I'm waiting 2.0 to hit either to give up my hopes or embrace the vanilla till I get bored. :)
Most MODs are for thing to be a temp fix, so I agree there.

Exactly, it's good and I like the direction it's heading, however there seems to be something (a lot) of the old games missing.
I need a challenge, don't want to have to include/use the AI Wars MOD just to make things harder. Most people think when I say that, I want more grind, and to a degree yes, but it's more about the risk factor vs. reward than anything.

We need the pirate risk, the xenon threat, and some new elements of risk to make you think before you leap. It breaks without the player in a region, and breaks you sense of realism. For example, going through a sector that is radioactive, why is it there, why can't we mine it. It's seems to be just another cow prop sadly.

Then we need feedback form the universe as it unfolds, a spark of some life to put icing on the cake so not only can we immerse into it all, but can also feel apart of it and give the players a reason to keep coming back for more.

Not a fan of EvE due to it's extreme grind factor (and other things like auto mining/shooting etc.), but its a great sandbox to delve into. People hold back, probably the same as myself, making the leap into it all for many reasons. On the other hand there are some that can find enough to give it a go. That's what X4 is missing, that temptation of what you can do and achieve, that's the goal imho

I'm after that essence and feeling of what I've loved about the X-verse, and finally see ES change it so that you are "your character" on a journey rather than the character name they give everyone depending on your choice at the start. Hell, if we wanted that we'd be wanting to be Luke Skywalker, Alex Rogan, Spock, Malcolm Reynolds, Kara Thrace, or another Ellen Ripley. They need to break that away so that we can all be who we are and choose our name so that we can create OUR story within the confines of their verse. :rant:

gschultz
x4

Post by gschultz » Tue, 5. Feb 19, 01:05

shealladh wrote:
jasonbarron wrote:
Sat, 2. Feb 19, 00:13
adeine wrote:

Hasn't been fixed yet.
Agreed.

they are gaming the community, and this chips away at a decades long relationship ive had with them. if they want us to see information they should release it in comprehensive posts, but in reality if they do address something it is hidden on a thread in one of many forums.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 5. Feb 19, 02:49

gschultz wrote:
Tue, 5. Feb 19, 01:05
they are gaming the community, and this chips away at a decades long relationship ive had with them. if they want us to see information they should release it in comprehensive posts, but in reality if they do address something it is hidden on a thread in one of many forums.
They may not make promises, because they don't know if they will be able to deliver a fix within a given time frame, but I am pretty sure they are all coming to work each day, they are taking notes on what changes, fixes or features people want, making decisions as to whether they feel they are good ideas, and are not sitting on their bums all day long. Hostility in the forums only tends to drive them away, rather than make them want to engage the community.

Blitz4
x4

Post by Blitz4 » Tue, 5. Feb 19, 21:13

Falcrack wrote:
Tue, 5. Feb 19, 02:49
They may not make promises, because they don't know if they will be able to deliver a fix within a given time frame, but I am pretty sure they are all coming to work each day, they are taking notes on what changes, fixes or features people want, making decisions as to whether they feel they are good ideas, and are not sitting on their bums all day long. Hostility in the forums only tends to drive them away, rather than make them want to engage the community.
Hello, nice to meet you Falcrack. I'm new to this thread and have to say, this is the best roadmap for X4 that I've ever seen.

I would like to engage in intelligent non-offensive constructive discourse, not just with you, but with all, which will reflect the views of all parties and on-lookers for eternity.. I can imagine, that type of discourse, is more difficult than making a game in Proton. Especailly when considering the learning curve of overcoming a new cultural barrier.

I understand X4 is their baby. But a baby can not grow without proper critism or correction. You speak of them them taking notes on what changes the community is complaining about. How do you know this for fact? The majority of complaints that I've come across on Steam aren't concerning a lack of features or new ideas, it's in regards towards existing functionality which is malfunctioning.

El Novato
x4

Post by El Novato » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 18:11

Blitz4 wrote:
Tue, 5. Feb 19, 21:13
Falcrack wrote:
Tue, 5. Feb 19, 02:49
Hello, nice to meet you Falcrack. I'm new to this thread and have to say, this is the best roadmap for X4 that I've ever seen.

I would like to engage in intelligent non-offensive constructive discourse, not just with you, but with all, which will reflect the views of all parties and on-lookers for eternity.. I can imagine, that type of discourse, is more difficult than making a game in Proton. Especailly when considering the learning curve of overcoming a new cultural barrier.

I understand X4 is their baby. But a baby can not grow without proper critism or correction. You speak of them them taking notes on what changes the community is complaining about. How do you know this for fact? The majority of complaints that I've come across on Steam aren't concerning a lack of features or new ideas, it's in regards towards existing functionality which is malfunctioning.
About your concerns on the dedication of egosoft in relation to taking notes on what changes the community is complaining about, you can do a survey across this forum and see that moderators and developers are answering to them. They hired or are hiring a person expert on MD, they had or have another two jobs posted, one for design, another for coding if i remember well, they are giving explanation in a constructive way to many of the doubts and about the lack of features, that´s is always something subjective. "Never is going to rain to the taste of everyone", in a direct translation from a spanish saying.

In my opinion they are involved to some degree with what the community say about the game. The final result will not be satisfactory for all, but i speculate it´s gonna be for most.

Return to “X4: Foundations”