Allow SETA Mode with Travel Mode

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

FearMunchies
x4

Allow SETA Mode with Travel Mode

Post by FearMunchies » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 11:23

Probably the most exciting thing I find about playing a new X game for the first time is the idea of starting in single system, with no others revealed and simply exploring, like the caveman leaving the cave to see what's over the horizon. Now since X:Rebirth, there is more to explore than the busy part of the sector, allowing players to push further into the unknown reaches of the sectors. But, although travel mode is fine on its own for traveling the core of a sector, to explore further an take a CONSIDERABLE amount of time depending on how far you want to go.

So I am writing this post to ask if at some point in the future, we will be able to use Travel Mode with SETA Mode, with the option to have multiple levels of acceleration (x2, x4, x6,..) like in previous X Games, so that deep space exploration becomes more enticing?

Liath
x4

Re: Allow SETA Mode with Travel Mode

Post by Liath » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 21:18

The two should stay mutually exclusive. I'm not sure if you've noticed but the collision detection in ES games... well yeah, we tend to call it 'autopillok'.
Add SETA to that mix and you're going to have fireworks in any systems you're in.
If you want to go faster, you can always mod your engines. even with vanilla there is a way to do that.
If I seem super-critical lately, it's due to having played X2 and X3, which were awesome games. X:R's release was a hard fail, however there *were* improvements, especially with stations, capitals, and capturing/boarding. X4 right now feels like the best parts of X2/3 and Rebirth all got thrown out the friggin window. I'm honestly hopeful that X4 will turn out awesome, but I'm already hugely disappointed in ES as I have seen them do better and really expect more from them.

cole2839
x4

Post by cole2839 » Thu, 13. Dec 18, 03:40

One of the Devs said in a Twitch stream the game can't handle SETA with travel so it's not going to happen. I don't think we need it either.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Thu, 13. Dec 18, 03:49

I imagine a mod will come out, if not already, that will jack up travel mode even more for those that want to cruise the depths of each zone.

whistlinjoe
x4

Post by whistlinjoe » Thu, 13. Dec 18, 04:27

Unless it was patched out last patch you can do this already. (I restarted and dont have all the SETA components just yet so I cant verify it still works)

If you just hold down the travel and SETA mode keys at the same time it should work. I found that keeping them all pressed for a couple of seconds worked quite well. Make sure you start with both disengaged.

ie (Shift + 1 + 4) for two seconds.

Gvans
x4

Post by Gvans » Sun, 1. Aug 21, 21:12

got a better one for yall.

if you use SETA. pause the game via the pause key. (not escape).
than switch over to Travel mode and unpause.

there you go seta and travel in one. also playing the latest version at the time.

have fun :D

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sun, 1. Aug 21, 22:59

In X3, I used SETA the same way I use travel drive in X4. I hardly ever feel the need for SETA in X4, even when I have it available I don't like using it. But in X3 it was indispensable.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Mon, 2. Aug 21, 05:35

Falcrack wrote:
Sun, 1. Aug 21, 22:59
In X3, I used SETA the same way I use travel drive in X4. I hardly ever feel the need for SETA in X4, even when I have it available I don't like using it. But in X3 it was indispensable.
Yeah, I think I have like 1800 hours played, and about 3 hours total of SETA....

They could completely remove SETA, and I wouldn't even notice.

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Mon, 2. Aug 21, 06:09

SETA simply isn't needed anymore. It was critical in older X games cause it took so long to fly anywhere, but with travel drive, we don't need it and its only real purpose now is to fast forward the game. Which, okay, but is really cheesy and borderline cheat code rather than a gameplay thing.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 2. Aug 21, 07:55

Note: This thread is from December 2018.
Gvans dug it up to reveal an apparent exploit.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

af_2017
x4

Post by af_2017 » Tue, 3. Aug 21, 15:08

jlehtone wrote:
Mon, 2. Aug 21, 07:55
Note: This thread is from December 2018.
praise the necro! :skull:
jlehtone wrote:
Mon, 2. Aug 21, 07:55
Gvans dug it up to reveal an apparent exploit.
Yet another use case:
- when on pause with the seta teleport to another ship
And now you can walk with the active seta!

... there are definitely some bugs in the game which I am not sure that I want to complain about...
X4 is not a destination. It's a journey. Unfortunately in a wrong direction.

Gvans
x4

Post by Gvans » Tue, 3. Aug 21, 20:39

- when on pause with the seta teleport to another ship
And now you can walk with the active seta!
Walk with SETA?!?!?! my gawd :mrgreen:

NightmareNight91
x4

Post by NightmareNight91 » Thu, 5. Aug 21, 11:25

I usually just travel drive to full speed, activate seta, and when the speed slowly drops to normal, i reactivate travel, rinse and repeat.

Return to “X4: Foundations”