Wiki - support thread

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

stefanEgo
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Wiki - support thread

Post by stefanEgo » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 19:02

Egosoft has set up a wiki-system for the community where we can publish our own content.

Do not hesitate to add your own content, if you think it would be useful for others too.
We are free to add or edit content without logging in to the wiki* You're welcome to add your name to the comments box when editting to help identify your contribution.

If you run into problems/issues when using the Wiki or if you have suggestions to improve things, you can post these in this thread.

Coordinating Moderator
  • Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderators
  • DrSuperEvil
  • Ironbuket
  • Snafu
  • solntcev

*Logging in is not possible without specific accounts (currently only available to Egosoft staff and some moderators).
Stefan Hett, Engine Architect

stefanEgo
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Wiki - support thread (new)

Post by stefanEgo » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 19:02

Adding or updating content on the wikis for the various games

Once you're on one of the wikis, there are 5 handy options highlighted yellow in the image below.

Spaces: Allows you to navigate between wikis.
Create: Creates a new page as a "child" of the page you are looking at the time.
Edit: Allows you to edit content on the page you are looking at (not visible on pages locked for editing).
Tools: Offers "Page History" (chronology of page edits) and the ability to export single pages as PDFs or Word docs.
Space Tools: Offers the ability to export user-defined groups pages as a single PDF (see here for guide).
Wiki_page.png
Stefan Hett, Engine Architect

SteveMill
x4

Re: Wiki - support thread

Post by SteveMill » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 10:25

stefanEgo wrote:
Mon, 10. Dec 18, 19:02
Egosoft have set up a wiki-system for the community where we can publish our own content.

Do not hesitate to add your own content, if you think it would be useful for others too.
We are free to add or edit content without logging in to the wiki. You're welcome to sign your names next to your additions.

If you run into problems/issues when using the Wiki or if you have suggestions to improve things, you can post these in this thread.

Coordinating Moderator
  • Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderators
  • DrSuperEvil
  • Ironbuket
  • Snafu
  • solntcev
It won’t accept my user name and password and yes I’m using the correct passwyand yes I’ve tried both my user name and email address. Can’t see why i need to sign in just to rewd a manual or wiki in the first place.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 14:21

It isn't necessary to login, and unless we have specific confluence accounts (Egosoft staff and a few moderators), it isn't possible to either.

Are you getting asked to login when you try to open the above links? Is so, please could you share some info about your computer hardware in case it helps?

JamesTheClarke
x4

Post by JamesTheClarke » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 14:28

Maybe a login system for regular users wouldn't be a bad idea.

It could be easier to identify regular contributors (to give credit for their work), trolls (if the same user keeps trying to change certain things) and organisation amongst contributor gr. If they can identify each other via a public profile (maybe linked to egosoft account) they can get together easily on the forums, discord or TS to coordinate their work efforts.

KreXx
x4

Post by KreXx » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 01:43

I think the Wiki is a great idea, but people not being able to register is a big drawback. A lot of the motivation to contribute is gone this way.

OlliH
x4

Post by OlliH » Sun, 16. Dec 18, 15:51

I’m getting asked for my credential every couple of seconds - on an iPad.

ei8htx
x4

Post by ei8htx » Sun, 16. Dec 18, 23:23

JamesTheClarke wrote:
Tue, 11. Dec 18, 14:28

It could be easier to identify regular contributors (to give credit for their work), trolls (if the same user keeps trying to change certain things) and organisation amongst contributor gr. If they can identify each other via a public profile (maybe linked to egosoft account) they can get together easily on the forums, discord or TS to coordinate their work efforts.
Agreed. Completely killed my motivation to update the wiki, which it desperately needs.

I guess that's why it still remains so incomplete.

Please address ASAP. Forum logins would be fine.

I know Confluence's pricing model is ridiculous once you start adding users, so why exactly isn't this just a regular wikimedia page?

quadrapod
x4

Post by quadrapod » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 04:21

ei8htx wrote:
Sun, 16. Dec 18, 23:23
JamesTheClarke wrote:
Tue, 11. Dec 18, 14:28

Agreed. Completely killed my motivation to update the wiki, which it desperately needs.

I guess that's why it still remains so incomplete.

Please address ASAP. Forum logins would be fine.

I know Confluence's pricing model is ridiculous once you start adding users, so why exactly isn't this just a regular wikimedia page?
What's killing it for me is that combined with the awful support for wikitext (sometimes it auto formats wiki text into their own internal format, sometimes it doesn't), including a horrible system for interlinking, and the fact that many of the features which would allow the planning of future development and which would simplify maintenance are completely absent. On top of that it's like being forced to do everything in the visual editor all the time which takes 20 seconds to load for each edit. I posted a thread about this earlier but I actually feel the fact that this wiki exists is worse than no wiki at all, simply because it discourages the creation of a better fan wiki while remaining so awful to use that nobody wants to contribute to it. Additionally the tone in most of the articles is instructive when it should be informative, it seems to not understand what a wiki even is from first principles. I actually think that if it were to be deleted in its entirety this moment, nothing of value would have been lost.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 20:04

It's always easy to criticise existing content, instead of creating own one. I've been a part of this community for long enough to know that when in doubt people always find an excuse to not help. We had and still have many external websites, wikis and the like, which use other, one may say more sophisticated, wiki softwares, and still the amount of contributors there is rather low, certainly not higher than in the official egosoft wiki. On top of that saying that it wouldn't be possible to properly add information to the wiki and that the current content would have no value is quite disrepectful to those who have filled the wiki with content in the last years.
Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend and Nopileos as Kindle e-books! (NOW also available: X3: Yoshiko!)

RunnerTheGunner
x4

Post by RunnerTheGunner » Wed, 26. Dec 18, 19:58

No matter what i do, i can not Convert to PDF, als für Download Link in the Comments is dead.
Anyone can share the PDF Version Please?
1984 - C64 - Elite - Ich war infiziert -------> 1999 - PC - X -BTF - Und wieder Infiziert --------> Keine Heilung in Sicht und auch nicht erwünscht.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Wed, 26. Dec 18, 21:53

RunnerTheGunner wrote:
Wed, 26. Dec 18, 19:58
No matter what i do, i can not Convert to PDF, als für Download Link in the Comments is dead.
Anyone can share the PDF Version Please?
Thanks for sharing this feedback about what was an opaque process.

I've created a short guide to how to export multiple wiki pages together at this link. Please let us know if it is not clear.

Tiger313
x4

Post by Tiger313 » Wed, 9. Jan 19, 16:56

So when will the devs start adding stuff to this wiki or manual or whatchamacallit? Because what's on there is mostly stuff that you can find in the tutorials. In order to make informed choices, you need much more in-depth knowledge of the game.

It's all fun that you can buy a mining vessel, and perhaps even set up an ore refinery of some sort, but wouldn't it be nice to know where to send your stuff off to as well? What happens when pilots and crew members skill up, how does that affect your ships/stations/business. How about adding a key map, because it's handy to know which key to hit to use your flares when being shot at with missiles. Or maybe telling something about gun ranges, and what types are good against what module/ship/station. So many simple questions, and hardly any answers to be found on the wiki.

To me this whole trial and error thing is getting old really fast. How many times do I have to load a save-game (which you cannot even rename or delete), or even start anew because of bad choices made earlier on due to missing knowledge? Also getting enough of that irritating Boron moaning at me. I'd rather build my own headquarters where I want it to be.

ESonix
x4

Post by ESonix » Sat, 12. Jan 19, 05:58

Just wanted to report a slight problem with the EgoSoft confluence X4 wiki behavior.

When you access the X4 wiki from a portable device, such as an iPad or iPhone, it will pop up a login prompt every single time you move to a new page on the wiki. When using a desktop browser on Mac or Win, I do not experience this problem at all. Note, I am not attempting to edit any content on the wiki, I am merely accessing it in read only mode. As you can guess, this login prompt spam makes reading the X4 wiki on an iPad somewhat annoying ;-)

Perhaps your confluence admin just needs to flip a config switch on the wiki to disable this login prompt behavior on mobile devices?

infinoid
x3ap

Post by infinoid » Mon, 28. Jan 19, 01:29

Edit: the wiki's SSL certificate has been updated, all is good.
Last edited by infinoid on Mon, 28. Jan 19, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “X4: Foundations”