NEWS: Forum Update week of Sept 24th-28th, Downtimes

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Fanchen
x4

Post by Fanchen » Sat, 22. Sep 18, 22:15

@Miniding
There are more things than just the mail address. For example, according to the GDPR, IP addresses are personal data. Accessing any website also transmits information like your browser and operating system versions. Websites might analyse at what times you access them (though I suspect Egosoft doesn't. ;))

Cookies can store your session data, and that information might allow others to access your account until you log off. Most people don't want others to read their messages or write posts under their name.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sat, 22. Sep 18, 22:38

Can't login anymore, I get an error message, the session times out in seconds. I guess this is related to the forum update?

@Fanchen
Despite this being a problem of Egosoft and not ours, do you know this by fact?
(Except for the IPs: I know Google has to anonymize IPs of German residents.)

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Fanchen
x4

Post by Fanchen » Sat, 22. Sep 18, 22:44

@Tamina
What exactly are you referring to, the browser/OS versions? That is done by the User Agent string which you can check on website like this one. And yes, given that websites can identify you (for example by your IP address or, even easier, because you are logged in) they could check at what time you are using their service.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sat, 22. Sep 18, 22:55

I hope this is still somewhat ontopic and my last post on this matter.
To clarify the question: If the information you listed fall into the declaration of "personal information" in the GDPR by fact.
(Despite that they could be potentially used to cross-track a single person with enough given other information.)

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Sat, 22. Sep 18, 23:05

Keep in mind just using basic google analytics you need to have a Privacy Policy.

E Co.
xr

Post by E Co. » Sun, 23. Sep 18, 05:10

I boo and hiss in protest. I like like the look of the forum, I don't want it to look like every site out there, with their fancy-schmancy animated sliding buttons and their newfangled "mobile" friendliness. :evil: President's End will look like a joke compared to the fury that I shall bring upon the new forum!
Spoiler
Show
As someone who mostly uses mobile, this update is appreciated, but I'll miss the old look

Miniding
x4

Post by Miniding » Sun, 23. Sep 18, 10:08

My IP adress, as lots of FAI do this way, is changing over time like 2-3 times a Week. Beside, lot of people have some "internet security" feature in their system (also hide for most site your real adress…) abd for the record, I Always disconnect my session from site with logins so nobody can be me but ME! :) This is just good practice...

If I may… GDPR is a giant joke! In France, for exemple, we had a law named "Informatique et Liberté" wich already, about the end of the 90s, forbided storage of personnal informations by peer (Website…)

The problem is not to store personal infos but how to use them!!! That's the law we all need!! I know what some will tell me "It's for analysis of use…" Ok While it's for that purpose, I'm Ok with that:
GDPR is just a step forward before taxing BIG DATA enterprises that make lots of money with selling OUR personnal infos. As lots of law, it's just for states to have basis to future taxes ! We had a law for website not to store personnal informations that was "abrogé" and 20 years after that, they care about OUR privacy?!!! What a big Joke!

Websites and other services Don't need any personnal info to be stored to identify you like cookies or such… It's just convinient.

REALLY Sorry about the BIG off topic but I can't stand reading about this GDPR that oblige workers to be responsible of the personnal datas of their colleags. It's a totally absurde law to me! And by the way, no type of datas are stamped "Personnal" by GDPR, it's each company that decides the peremiter of personnal datas.

Sorry again but I fell better now even if some will take it for a conspiracyhood post… It's not.

:oops:
Miniding
X3 Reunion - X3 Terran Conflict - X3 Albion Prelude - X Rebirth - X4 CE...

Solflame
x4

Post by Solflame » Sun, 23. Sep 18, 20:10

You'd be surprised what you can find out w/ an IP Address and some sleuthing.

Miniding
x4

Post by Miniding » Sun, 23. Sep 18, 23:30

I'm aware of that... but I do good practices to avoid it...
Miniding

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 00:35

missing person: Little Susy? :lol:

Is that like Station announcements or just coincidence?

PS: The screenshot latest browser tab.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 04:36

ezra-r wrote:missing person: Little Susy? :lol:

Pretty sure all those tabs are in-jokes. You've got one about landing on planets, and another about SpaceX sending our artists *somewhere* (presumably into space so they can draw it better)...

DavidGW
x4

Post by DavidGW » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 04:50

pjknibbs wrote:Pretty sure all those tabs are in-jokes. You've got one about landing on planets, and another about SpaceX sending our artists *somewhere* (presumably into space so they can draw it better)...
But no joke about multiplayer. Therefore, logically, we can all assume that X4 will be an exclusively online, multiplayer title.

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 04:57

pjknibbs wrote:
ezra-r wrote:missing person: Little Susy? :lol:

Pretty sure all those tabs are in-jokes. You've got one about landing on planets, and another about SpaceX sending our artists *somewhere* (presumably into space so they can draw it better)...
There was also a header about HL3 being released after 900 years.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 08:25

DaMuncha wrote: There was also a header about HL3 being released after 900 years.
Is that on the German one, because I don't see it on the English screenshot?

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 10:29

Yea!
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

BurnIt!
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by BurnIt! » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 20:03

Phase 1 is now in progress and edits to existing posts will not be carried over to the new forum.
BurnIt!
In der Ruhe liegt die Kraft. / In peace lies strength.

Juggernaut93
x4

Post by Juggernaut93 » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 20:15

BurnIt! wrote:Phase 1 is now in progress and edits to existing posts will not be carried over to the new forum.
So, phase 2 will only import new posts, but not edits?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 21:15

I'm sure it means that edits to existing posts made on the old system after the time that the forum data was copied and carried across into the new one (Phase 1) will not feature on the new system.

I'm assuming that by then any new posts on the old system will only be transferred later on in Phase 2 if they are time-stamped after the copy period.

Obviously edits to posts will work again once we all have access to the new system. That's how it would make sense to me anyway.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Juggernaut93
x4

Post by Juggernaut93 » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 22:56

Yes, that's what I meant :) I guess searching for edits done after Phase 1 would be too time consuming and it wouldn't have many benefits anyway.

Miniding
x4

Post by Miniding » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 23:26

Good to hear Ego!! Give us a brand new forum, a brand new website and a brand new game!!!

Keep up the good work :D 8) :!:
Miniding

Return to “X4: Foundations”