Feedback X4 Presentation

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

kolimbo
x4

X4: First Impressions

Post by kolimbo » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 17:04

Just finished watching the stream, thoughts?

Looks to me a more polished version of X:R with most of the old AP/TC elements that people wanted added back in. I'm reasonably optimistic.

Ricemanu
x4

Feedback X4 Presentation

Post by Ricemanu » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 17:06

A big thank you to Egosoft and Bernd for the cool presentation.
I remember how excited i was to play X:R and how disappointing it was in the beginning. Then Ego did a lot to fix up X:R and i just came off from a week long X:R stint (with a lot of Mods of course though ;))

I appreciate the honesty and the effort you guys put in to make those games so great. X4 truly looks promising and i already sighed a few times in relief that you really identified some of the key design problems of X:R (that can't be modded away easily, like the map) and focus on them. I'm also excited to see what you're cooking up in regards to a new improved economy with proper sinks-i think the "more simulation" approach is key.

Since the CWIR (Conquest War in Rebirth) Mod was my main motivation for playing the last 250 or so hours, i was wondering what the new improved faction AI is really doing. Are dynamic wars possible without extensive modding with X4?

Ego, take your time, make an awesome game. I think you are on the absolutely right track from the beginning now. And Bernd, if you read this: I really appreciate that after almost 20 years of working on this game series, you are still humble about it and admit when you were wrong. I think this game is in good hands with you. ;)

mr.WHO
x4

Highlight from X4 Presentation

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 17:06

- Title X4 Foundation
- You can fly all ships, Caphips included (they even had a video with proff that you can steer capship yourself).
- player decals on ships
- station walk reduced to very nice looking platform/starport and ship interiors.
- every ship has an interior, fighters included.
- Ships have crews that have specific jobs to do.
- Paranids confirmed.
- you can fully destroy station and faction
- Borons are unofficailly under work, but will propably not make into first X4 release due to their specific desing troubles
- release date is planned for 2018
- not yet decided if there will be an Early Access
- aim for steam workshop modding
- there will be some kind of research options
- there will be late game teleporter device that will allow you (you body) to teleport to any ship you own.
- Argon Prime is location in X4 (I also assume reading X3:AP and XR lore that PAranid Prime will also be part of X4 universe, but this is juxt my guess).
- Carriers are in (there was video of one M-size ship with the landing platform for fighters).
- Much better map with layers of filters (e.g. trade information, combat information etc.)
- GUI optimized for mouse (video of map/GUI trade via mouse)
- Big Argon ship called Behemot (it's the one we saw "directly driving from the seat of captain") that looks like obese Fulmekron
- Argo Nova that looks like none Nova from previous games,
- Argon fighter that resemble X-BTF Discoverer.
- Some kind of Paranid corvette with at least two turrets.
- (Bernd mention, no video) Teladi ships will more closely resemble the designs from X3.
- Teladi ship called (?) Peregrine that looks like upsized, upgunned Teladi Falcon from X3
- there will be several game starts where you can be diffrent faction/race and each start will have little backstory/plot.
- there is no plans for build in "customize your starting character" option (however I think custom gamestart via mods will be pretty obvious).
Last edited by mr.WHO on Sat, 26. Aug 17, 17:19, edited 2 times in total.

RainerPrem
x4

Re: X4: First Impressions

Post by RainerPrem » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 17:07

kolimbo wrote:Just finished watching the stream, thoughts?

Looks to me a more polished version of X:R with most of the old AP/TC elements that people wanted added back in. I'm reasonably optimistic.
I'm a little suspicious about the full screen map. It seems to cover all the exterior. Don't use it while driving...

cu
Rainer

PieBue
x4

Re: Highlight from X4 Presentation

Post by PieBue » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 17:20

mr.WHO wrote:- Title X4 Foundation
- You can fly all ships, Caphips included (they even had a video with proff that you can steer capship yourself).
- player decals on ships
- station walk reduced to very nice looking platform/starport and ship interiors.
- every ship has an interior, fighters included.
- Ships have crews that have specific jobs to do.
- Paranids confirmed.
- you can fully destroy station and faction
- Borons are unofficailly under work, but will propably not make into first X4 release due to their specific desing troubles
- release date is planned for 2018
- not yet decided if there will be an Early Access
- aim for steam workshop modding
- there will be some kind of research options
- there will be late game teleporter device that will allow you (you body) to teleport to any ship you own.
- Argon Prime is location in X4 (I also assume reading X3:AP and XR lore that PAranid Prime will also be part of X4 universe, but this is juxt my guess).
- Carriers are in (there was video of one M-size ship with the landing platform for fighters).
- Much better map with layers of filters (e.g. trade information, combat information etc.)
- GUI optimized for mouse (video of map/GUI trade via mouse)
- Big Argon ship called Behemot (it's the one we saw "directly driving from the seat of captain") that looks like obese Fulmekron
- Argo Nova that looks like none Nova from previous games,
- Argon fighter that resemble X-BTF Discoverer.
- Some kind of Paranid corvette with at least two turrets.
- (Bernd mention, no video) Teladi ships will more closely resemble the designs from X3.
- Teladi ship called (?) Peregrine that looks like upsized, upgunned Teladi Falcon from X3
- there will be several game starts where you can be diffrent faction/race and each start will have little backstory/plot.
- there is no plans for build in "customize your starting character" option (however I think custom gamestart via mods will be pretty obvious).
good description :thumb_up:

Perkel
x4

Thanks Egosoft for taking your community criticism into hearth.

Post by Perkel » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 17:23

I just watched X4 trailer and i am pretty ****** stoked.

This is basically what i always wanted from X4. X-rebirth was painful to me because i spend 100s of hours playing TC and AP and i trully wanted to love it but after 100hours of me getting mostly dissapointed i went back to X3.

Now i watch X4 trailer, see egosoft resposes to questions and i can't be more happy.

I am not a fan of on foot space sims (imo wasted developement time) but godspeed to you, i can bare with janky on foot mess if rest of the game is good.

Just map alone you shown is something i can't wait for and wish it was in X3.

Can't wait to build my empire !

x3tc

Post by 26072013 » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 17:26

I'm cautiously optimistic: all ships flyable, real cockpit view, a (hopefully) usable map, and the things Bernd told about resources, station building and blueprints sounded promising. Hopefully the UI for fleet management will be good, too, and I'd like a linux version.

I hope they will take the time to release the game in a good and stable state. In these times of steam refunds a release like X:R would be a financial desaster, even as early access.

If the game isn't a total catastrophe at release I'll buy it first week. It really could be a great foundation for things to come!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 17:30

To me the game presentation was one huge hype on my side.
X4 seems to be what XR I hoped to be.

My only concern so far is the usual optimization and performance (I noticed FPS drops when ship turned to look on asteroids fields).
Also I haven't spotted any Terrans :(.

I hope that 2018 release date is around Christmass.

Ricemanu
x4

Post by Ricemanu » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 17:46

mr.WHO wrote: ...
My only concern so far is the usual optimization and performance (I noticed FPS drops when ship turned to look on asteroids fields).

I hope that 2018 release date is around Christmass.
I'm already looking for new hardware.:D

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 17:52

One thing, Bernd definitely confirmed that stations could be destroyed, but I heard nothing about a faction being destroyed. Mr. Who mentioned above that stations/factions could be destroyed but that is not accurate. We do not know if a Faction can be entirely destroyed. Even if you destroy their stations, does that mean they can't make a comeback or still build/buy ships? Don't know.

CommanderTM
xr

Post by CommanderTM » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 18:18

Yeah, im hyped also. This was so much more i hoped for. And now it is time to forget all about this game and get hyped again a week before the release :)

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 18:19

BlackRain wrote:One thing, Bernd definitely confirmed that stations could be destroyed, but I heard nothing about a faction being destroyed. Mr. Who mentioned above that stations/factions could be destroyed but that is not accurate. We do not know if a Faction can be entirely destroyed. Even if you destroy their stations, does that mean they can't make a comeback or still build/buy ships? Don't know.
It was during question of station desctruction, Bernd turned to the other Egosoft guy and asked if faction can be destroyed. The guy from the side yelled yes. However this was a bit of chaos moment, so it is possible that the guy from the side actually ment the station desctruction.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 18:30

mr.WHO wrote:
BlackRain wrote:One thing, Bernd definitely confirmed that stations could be destroyed, but I heard nothing about a faction being destroyed. Mr. Who mentioned above that stations/factions could be destroyed but that is not accurate. We do not know if a Faction can be entirely destroyed. Even if you destroy their stations, does that mean they can't make a comeback or still build/buy ships? Don't know.
It was during question of station desctruction, Bernd turned to the other Egosoft guy and asked if faction can be destroyed. The guy from the side yelled yes. However this was a bit of chaos moment, so it is possible that the guy from the side actually ment the station desctruction.
Yeah, I was watching and I remember the exact part, but I would still like a separate confirmation on whether a faction can be truly destroyed.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 18:40

Also we must define what do we/they mean by faction destruction - complete irreversible erase from universe, or only temporary destruction and then small respawn with ability to reemerge if not supressed.

P.S I must also admit that I love new Nova design.

P.P.S
Is it me or there was not a single L and LX size freighters in the footage.

Actually except Gigurum and Nudung I didn't see single ship from X-Rebirth.

EukaDealer
x4

Post by EukaDealer » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 19:16

Only two wishes:
1. Do not mess this time, like Rebirth at the start.
2. Really - Do not mess this time, like Rebirth at the start.

Semris
xr

Post by Semris » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 19:33

What stands out for me (apart from returning back to the core X gameplay, yay!) is the fact that galaxy should feel more alive...

In past I often felt that our little X sandbox was very stale. Nothing happening between races or between factions. One stale playground you could have played with.

I hope to see wars and fleet combats between NPC factions, I want to see them gaining or losing ground, I want to see a living universe which I will be "only" a part of.
Last edited by Semris on Sat, 26. Aug 17, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.

thrangar
x4

Post by thrangar » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 19:36

:o :o :o

Totally stoked about this, was not expecting to get so many things I was hoping for!

Including Paranids, and a Paranid start!

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 20:23

I think they've focused on all the right things. I can't not be hyped.

Mackan
xr

Post by Mackan » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 20:45

Looks great so far!

Saw complaints in twitch chat about the game looking too much like X Rebirth, but I don't see how that is a bad thing. There was so much good and underutilized tech in XR that it would be nonsensical not to use it as a base for X4 (Modular stations, docking, NPCs etc etc). Glad to see all the good things about XR being kept and more fleshed out with the addition of frequently requested features from other X games!

As for destroying factions, it did sound like it might be a possibility. Station destruction was confirmed and the economy was described as fully simulated, implying finite resources the AI could take advantage of. Ie cut off key resource productions and factions will be unable to rebuild what you destroy?

While there might be failsafe systems in place to allow for the AI to cheat in case of unexpected resource deficits, the way they've described everything makes it sound like at the very least faction elimination would be something fairly easy to mod in.

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 21:02

I know its early in development still but my first impressions are that it is X Rebirth version 2, not X4.
I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure, but I wont be pre-ordering or using Early Access or anything like that.
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

Return to “X4: Foundations”