The Ai needs some improvements

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Staur106
x4

The Ai needs some improvements

Post by Staur106 » Mon, 5. Dec 22, 19:06

Hello for the record this is just my idea of things and not here to start something bad.

The ai Exspecaly controleing Ships and such needs really bad to be improved, For instent wen attacking stations facton's ai just flys in range of the turrets, even in front of my ship wen attacking a station like one asgard did last night for me i hat to turn of my turrets so i wold not hit it :p

Then the factons sending s/m and maybe one Distroyer at Xenon K that has never made any sens to me wasteing all these Resorses :d

Anyways Enough babling from me and exscuse my English, Evryone have a nice day and take care of your self's :)

flywlyx
x4

Re: The Ai needs some improvements

Post by flywlyx » Mon, 5. Dec 22, 19:31

AI disability is of the gameplay.

Dev claims "make errors of judgement and do silly manoeuvres sometimes" "adds to the character of individual pilots".

There is barely any useful solution other than babysitting them all the time, or considering these losses as "necessary losses".

There is a mod called KUDA AI tweaks you might want to try, too. It adjusts some AI behaviors, which might help your station siege issue.

Staur106
x4

Post by Staur106 » Mon, 5. Dec 22, 19:38

flywlyx wrote:
Mon, 5. Dec 22, 19:31
AI disability is of the gameplay.

Dev claims "make errors of judgement and do silly manoeuvres sometimes" "adds to the character of individual pilots".

There is barely any useful solution other than babysitting them all the time, or considering these losses as "necessary losses".

There is a mod called KUDA AI tweaks you might want to try, too. It adjusts some AI behaviors, which might help your station siege issue.
i dont use mods i feel like cheating wen i do :) and i have no issue whit Stations i take them down by my self on my ob syn, it is just the factons ai that is so stupit some of the time, it might be the piloting skills i did not think about that, i Thought it did not make anny diffrence at all :)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 5. Dec 22, 20:30

What I have found is that if you get your attacking fleet ships to an area a bit outside their weapon range to the station, and only then give the attack order when they are in place, they tend to stop as soon as their main guns and long-range capital-attack turrets are in range to target. Make sure that all shorter-range turrets are set to attack fighters or else the ships will try to close to get those lesser turrets in range too.

The next danger comes when the module they are attacking is gone and they have to target another module further away. Sometimes they will cross right past the station to align onto the new module target. To help avoid that, I spread my attacking fleet around the station so that many modules are under attack at the same time such that they get weakened in parallel.

Further, I try to destroy the drone-launch modules early on (for stations with many defence drones) as a fleet of attacking drones can distract your attacking capitals and cause them to manoeuvre and blunder into range of the station turrets (IS only).

I make sure that my attack fleets are of ships with similar capabilities, captain experience, and load-outs as then you don't tend to get too many individual ships acting differently and attracting all the attention of the defences.

Using these guidelines, I am usually confident enough to let my attack fleets wear away enemy stations without too much micro-management once engaged, both IS and OOS.

By the way, GCU Grey Area is a master of such tactics and has given hints and tips in many similar threads. It is well worth searching out his posts.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

flywlyx
x4

Post by flywlyx » Mon, 5. Dec 22, 21:23

Staur106 wrote:
Mon, 5. Dec 22, 19:38
i dont use mods i feel like cheating wen i do :) and i have no issue whit Stations i take them down by my self on my ob syn, it is just the factons ai that is so stupit some of the time, it might be the piloting skills i did not think about that, i Thought it did not make anny diffrence at all :)
Yeah, that is part of the game play then.

X4 is not a RTS game so AI don't really have those fancy strategy function. They don't even put basic function like turret priority, they have a long list to go.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Mon, 5. Dec 22, 21:40

I still think it is silly that mobile ships should be able to outrange static stations at all. If destroyers want to kill stations, they should just need to tank the damage. Losses should be expected unless you have an overwhelming amount of destroyers.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 5. Dec 22, 23:31

There is precedent. USS Iowa, 16 inch main guns with max effective range of 24 miles. Typical heavy shore battery of WW2 was 6 to 8 inch guns with max effective ranges of 12 to 17 miles.

In practice, it is perhaps more that the Xenon have powerful yet shorter range heavy turret weapons than their Commonwealth equivalents.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

As25
x4

Post by As25 » Mon, 5. Dec 22, 23:47

Falcrack wrote:
Mon, 5. Dec 22, 21:40
I still think it is silly that mobile ships should be able to outrange static stations at all. If destroyers want to kill stations, they should just need to tank the damage. Losses should be expected unless you have an overwhelming amount of destroyers.
They don't. Non Xenon ones at least. If you are at war with the Argon, you will get shot with their long range plasma. As for the Xenons, graviton turrets are bull. Pulse lasers with twice the dps of plasma. Can't tank it, can't dodge it. Xenon stations also have more hull points than everyone else. It's only fair you can outrange them.

Not a fan of graviton turrets for stations. With their limited range, any player and proper AI will just sit outside of their range, and since the station can't move it's completely defenseless. It would be better if instead of gravitons they had some other L turret with 9+ km range but normal damage so your destroyers don't evaporate instantly. You will suffer losses but it would be fair/less bull and the best part is: It won't matter if your destroyers decide to ram the station.

Staur106
x4

Post by Staur106 » Tue, 6. Dec 22, 00:07

Yeah There are both silly and Great behaveior the ai has :)

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Tue, 6. Dec 22, 00:14

As25 wrote:
Mon, 5. Dec 22, 23:47
Pulse lasers with twice the dps of plasma. Can't tank it, can't dodge it.
you can dodge xenon just mod M ship with green mods and it can easily dodge xenon bullets with strafing, need to keep max range
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

As25
x4

Post by As25 » Tue, 6. Dec 22, 00:35

Buzz2005 wrote:
Tue, 6. Dec 22, 00:14
you can dodge xenon just mod M ship with green mods and it can easily dodge xenon bullets with strafing, need to keep max range
I meant in the context of destroyers bashing a station or fighting a K/I.

Tassekaffe
x4

Post by Tassekaffe » Tue, 6. Dec 22, 01:15

please stop calling anything that runs on scripts Ai...
any decent Ai worth the name would win this(any) game in minutes.

but yes to the general idea,the scripts running this game really need some work.

Return to “X4: Foundations”