HOW do YOU play X4?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Omni-Orb
x4

HOW do YOU play X4?

Post by Omni-Orb » Sun, 24. Oct 21, 15:25

I remember someone from egosoft saying a long time ago that they where interrested in knowing HOW we play X4.
So i thought we could try a thread where we talk about HOW we play this game.

It wqould be nice if we follow this way of writing the posts.
So ill go first:

Playstyle: Dead is Dead. Combat focused/boarding to get a fleet and money and some scouting with sattelites. No trading, mining or station building other than a few modules on the phq for research. And very little "map micromanagement". Also like toggling F1-F2 often so i get a better overview of battleground and it is more aesthetic pleasing to play that way.

Overall plan: To "delete" the xenon from the universe in the fastest, most efficient way possible. Or alternatively (For a later playthrough) "delete" all the factions other than xenon and terran and create a type of scenario where the xenon rule the galaxy and terrans have to defend.

The aspects of the game i like best: I like the beginning and mid game of the game best, the time before i start destroying stations, when combat is still something i can fail at and be destroyed.

Favourite ship and reason why: Rattlesnake - Because its the closest thing to a middleground of M and L combat ships and fits really well for a personal ship, its fast, reasonably maneuverable, "the right size for personal combat" and has too many turrets and also great turret placement. Good and efficient design.

Favourite type of ships and reason why: XL combat ships - Because they give the perspective that the player is small and insignificant in the universe when we start the game.

Favourite overall weapon and reason why: Mine - Because they are really scary in high mass and as traps in crates.

Favourite faction and reason why: Kha'ak - Because their design and weaponry, and that they are mysterious.

Favourite sector and reason why: Matrix 79B - Because of the color and the wrecks make it have this scary, beautiful and peaceful feel to it.

Best game design in X4: The feel of "drifting" with travel drive on and toggling off/on flight assist from S to L class ships.

Favourite moment in X4: The yaki part of the terran plot.
Credence follow stars.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Re: HOW do YOU play X4?

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sun, 24. Oct 21, 18:25

Tend to focus mainly on Trade & Build. Do a bit of fighting, but generally only if one of the factions is willing to give me a huge pile of cash for my trouble (blowing up a rival faction's stations can also be a good source of high end weapon mods).

Generally start a new game by trading in my starting ship for an S trader (or sometimes S miner) ASAP & use that for missions & trading until I can afford to replace it with an M. I then use that ship to buy an L trader, followed by several more, which I use as a manually operated trade fleet (not a fan of auto-traders or auto-miners in the early game). Meanwhile I fly around filling the universe with satellites wherever there's a shipyard, wharf or station producing high value components. That trade fleet then pays for the building materials needed for construction of my first batch of stations.

I usually have the same enemies & friends as the faction from which the character originates (e.g. if playing as Argon my enemies include HOP & ZYA) & will do what I can to help them in their wars, by prioritising trade with their stations & doing ship delivery & satation construction missions for them. I also generally stick fairly rigidly to my chosen faction (& their closest allies) for ships & equipment - e.g. if playing as Argon almost all of my ships will be ARG or ANT designs & equipped appropriately (main exceptions tend to be mission rewards).

JoeVN09
x4

Post by JoeVN09 » Sun, 24. Oct 21, 19:31

I love building stations. The tools Egosoft provides for it in X4 are great; it really makes me feel like I'm building small cities in space. Then once you have it up and running smoothly, there's nothing more rewarding than parking in the dock and watching its machinery tick over at one end, and taking in a pleasant planetscape with ships taxiing in and out at the other.
~ Experienced X3 veteran. Dangerously incompetent X4 novice. ~

Submarine
x3tc

Post by Submarine » Mon, 25. Oct 21, 12:30

I like the survival feel of hard starts and building up from nothing using nothing but my wits and series 7 deatomizer... no hang on different genre... or is it!?

So I have taken to the suit start with relish and current playthrough had to work quite hard as a young orphan Teladi, outcast even from SCA, marooned in a suit in anarchic badlands by a mutinous business partner, just to get a first ship (Tethys for mining). Also earned the "Space Odyssey" achievement kudos badge on Steam for zooming around the highway in a spacesuit.

From there the next highlight was completing HAT missions and getting a courier and capturing a bunch of ships sent against me including a Minotaur Raider which can be used for trading.

Currently we comprise a band of merry menacing mercenary ... odd jobs persons... driven by a sense of injustice and remorse and unexpected loyalties derived from a back story. i.e. Friendship with the Free Families due to being raised by a Split mentor, to fix satellites and plug data leaks, which we are very good at.

I am playing it small scale and role playing because the micro just gets too much when you have huge fleets unless you stop caring about individual ships when they start to lose their meaning. Also have not yet pursued the PHQ this playthrough but am using the anomalies. I like the sense of being a small part of a big universe which I am allowing to play out and responding where it touches the motivation of the Teladi character. e.g. The Xenon are invading the Free Families sectors so my next mission is to combat a K in a Balaur, newly acquired.

I have noted the unsatifactory economic outcomes of trying to eradicate Xenon or monopolise the entire universe reported by other players so I am not allowing megalomania to dictate my objectives. However I do like the potential to build a fleet of any size and type as it gives flexibility to my options, like having a lego kit, I can do anything I want to do at whatever scale I choose.

Some of the problems I encounter playing at this scale are inability to buy a ship without a captain, so I cannot simply transfer crew and upgrade their ship as I get an extra crew in the process and I dont want to sack anyone due to the insecurity and sense of valuing loyalty of the Teladi character. Also cannot transfer or store weapons unlike X2 and so ship loadouts are constrained by the faction politics permissions.
bloop

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 25. Oct 21, 13:46

I start small and pretty much stay small as I do like the early game gameplay. I don't build megacomplexes or vast colonies as I only build/acquire the stations involved in the plots and perhaps some Defence Stations to keep critical areas safe(r). I also do not build huge conquering fleets; I just use captured capitals (typically ex SCA/FAF) for area defence or to clear out infestations in areas of interest. I try to capture the ships needed for plot fleet deliveries rather than buy or build them. I don't have a player Wharf or Shipyard, even though I could.

So far I have completed all plots except for the Paranid one, and I am currently working on captures for the Duke's fleet delivery. I tend to keep on reasonably good terms with other factions (even HOP so far) and I recovered positive rep with the RHA after doing the anti-ZYA elements of the Split plot. Of all the plots, I enjoyed the PIO/TER one the most.

I play vanilla and even in-game ship mods are used sparingly as I don't do Ventures even when available. Whilst my PHQ research is all finished and I have the resources to move the PHQ anywhere, I haven't started any terraforming yet as my rate of income is moderate, and I am quite happy with that.

I roleplay a lot and immersion is important to me. Sometimes I suspend all plot progress and just go and do my own thing in my favourite ship just as if I did not have an empire to run. What I have is already set up pretty much to look after itself while I do those diversions.

I think that because my empire is relatively modest for a mature game, I see fewer of the problems being reported with major economy and conquest gameplay. Again, that suits the pace and style of my gameplay and so I am content.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 25. Oct 21, 18:21

Once.

Only one playthrough. Reloads yes, restarts no. Within that playthrough I do as much as I can. Obviously, any multi-option plots can be chosen at most once. Therefore, they are "for later". The main objective in the game is to invent as many reasonable goals/tasks as possible.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Eyeklops
x4

Post by Eyeklops » Mon, 25. Oct 21, 20:54

Playstyle: Min/Maxxer. My goal is to attain an absolute mastery of the game mechanics and optimize everything (budget gamestarts, ship loadouts, station configurations, fleet composition, defense/attack tactics). Currently optimizing the best budgeted gamestart I possibly can. I have restarted at least 8 or 9 budgeted gamestarts to test different variations and see how fast I can get a shipyard online (supplied only by my stations). I average about 20 game hours per restart but IRL hours are about 40 each. I spend about 4 hours in the budget gamestart creator before the game even starts. I'll get to play the story parts of the game eventually....possibly.

Overall plan: Create the perfect budgeted gamestart, play out all the storylines, turn every sector green.

The aspects of the game I like best: Ability to create my own story with budgeted gamestarts, fantastic station editor, teleportation to ships.

Favorite ship and reason why:
  • Tokyo Carrier: Because launching 18 ships at once looks amazing.
  • Kalis Heavy Fighter: 18 well fitted (TER Mk3 shield/SPL Mk4 engine/Proton Mk2), well modded (Polisher/Nudger/Buckler), well piloted (3*+) Kalis launched from a Tokyo will delete just about anything (short of Xenon Shipyards) with no losses. Takes a while to attain this but it's worth it.
  • Jian gunboat: 6 ARG flak turrets or 4 ARG flak/2 Plasma. I permanently park these on every capital medium landing pad to help deal with fighter/drone swarms. A Zeus carrier with 4 of these on top wiping out dozens of fighters at a time is truly a sight to behold.
  • Zeus Carrier: A great personal flagship for zipping around the battlefield (SPL All-round). Mod for speed and agility. Add 4 Flak Jians for extra fun. 18 medium turrets (flak/plasma) deal with anything that gets too close.
  • Asgard Battleship: Because OP as hell. 2 Shots Xenon I's.
  • Wyvern Miners: Khaak? Pfffft. Outruns them easily.
  • Cobra Frigate: When you're in the mood for X4 - Grand Theft Spaceship Edition. Also a great loot ship when fleeted with 4 Dragons.

Favorite type of ships and reason why: Destroyers. Because they destroy stuff. (Yes...I realize I didn't list a single destroyer in my "favorite ship section")

Favorite overall weapon and reason why: Terran Proton Mk2: IS or OOS beast. ARG Flak because OP.

Favorite faction and reason why: Terran & Split

Favorite sector and reason why: No idea.

Best game design in X4: budgetstart editor, station editor, Rattlesnake/Cobra/Dragon aesthetics.

Favorite moment in X4: No idea.

steph_m37
x4

Post by steph_m37 » Mon, 25. Oct 21, 21:55

hi !

Playing vanilla since X3 same for X4.

I loved the earth ships of X3 terran conflict, and for X4 too .
For day-to-day business I am in Katana, and sometime split vessel
I try to collect all types of S&M ships at least get one of each type in my headquarters, now I'm trying to have the nodan.
For the moment with X4 I only play on the Terran start, but i have another start (split)
I have aside a save made with the custom start function where I only have all the earth sectors and the rest of the universe is the enemy (future war :))
I am a very average player, so it took me a long time to understand all aspects of the game.
I love doing guild missions for terran and paranid to collect Hokaidos and chthonios, I take all the improvements and I sell the vessel, on the other hand I keep the chothonios.
For station miners I didn't buy any with this method.
these last month's i have focused on building a terran shipyard, moved following the advice of Imperial Good, I reconditioned the old one in came into a large cell energy station (Venus), which will also serve to supply the shipyard.
recently I got the blueprint from the L shipyard, I already had the Syn blueprint and next is XL shipyard and of course Asgard.
I'm not much of a fight, but construction and production for money !!, but I keep an eye on the xenon, I mainly do OOS combat, all my teams that keep the main Xenon outputs are unplayable IS.
It's teams varied katana, Jian, rattlesnake, osaka my oldest team and composed of 2 osaka and the Deliha that I try not to lose.
For the moment I manage to keep the Xenons in their sectors, they don't extend anymore, well almost :D , I start to have a lot of Xenons I appearing as I destroy all the Ks that come in close 8)
I resumed the story with Dal Busta that I have left in the air for a while !!
My favorite thing is station building anyway, I produce energy cells, and all that is expensive, for other ware I have a commercial station that buys me everything (YouTube tutorial),
I spend almost nothing on construction missions because I have everything in stock.
For the moment I'm friends with everyone except xenon and kha'ak :D, But I don't hesitate to take down any faction when I'm interested, I try not to go below level 0 for relationships.
I still have a lot of blueprints to buy and hack.
But in the end the Terran Empire will rule the universe :lol: uh I would keep our Argon friends anyway !!!

Steph
- ROG STRIX Z390 I9-9900k- ROG STRIX White OC 24 GB RTX 3090 - 64 GB DDR 3600  -  SSD Nvme  1to, SSD EVOplus NVme 2T, DD 3To - SoundBlaster AE-9 - Monitor ASUS Swift PG32UQX & Alienware AW2721D - AIO Corsair H100i PRO - WARTHOG + T-RUDDER + MFD WINWING

Clownmug
x4

Post by Clownmug » Tue, 26. Oct 21, 19:27

Playstyle: Mostly legitimate business owner.

I like to start out scraping together money doing anything from missions to scavenging battlefields. With enough saved up I start building simple self-sufficient stations starting with refineries, then ship/station tech, and eventually work my way up to shipyards. In the interim I keep doing side activities like guild missions, setting up auto-traders, and boarding pirate ships for extra money.

Overall plan: Be friends with everyone, build stations everywhere, and make lots of money along the way.

The aspects of the game i like best: Ship design, station construction, and smallscale combat.

Favourite ship and reason why: Katana. I am speed.

Favourite type of ships and reason why: Corvette type M ships. They're great for both travel and most combat situations.

Favourite overall weapon and reason why: Mines. Kill anything by pausing the game, dumping mines, then unpause and boost away.

Favourite faction and reason why: SCA. Their ships appear out of nowhere to give me free money.

Favourite sector and reason why: Tharka's Cascade. Feels like it has more layers compared to other sectors.

Best game design in X4: All the background economy simulation.

Favourite moment in X4: Insta-gibbing that informant's Behemoth with mines during the Terran convert op mission.

baerdesklopapies
x4

Post by baerdesklopapies » Tue, 26. Oct 21, 22:57

On some point (i can't remember exactly when but it was a short time before release of 4.1) i started new as Zyarth Split, with the Goal only build one Station: The PHQ ready for Terraforming.I'm currently at this Playthrough. I finished the Split Plot the first Time (on Zyarth Side) and the Paranid Plot too. At the Paranid Plot i choose the Escalation branch with the new Pirate Faction, because my playstile went to a Pirate with a lot of boarding other Ships to upgrade my Fleet or make money. I did not planned to build a Wharf with the PHQ but the Paranid plot forced me to buy the Modules.
Actually i try to rank up with the Terrans to play their Story, but my long time Mission from the Split Start to claim Guiding Star/Eleventh Hour incited the Argonians against me. This stopped my Plans and i need to build defences for my PHQ and upgrade my Fleet.

I also have some plans for my next Playthrough. This time as a Terran, and bring Terran Conflict 2.0. As soon as i discover a faction i will instantly declare War against this Faction. But there are a few issues. The PHQ in the Teladi sector should be not a Problem. Ill take it later, but with the Split and Paranid plot you need at least Rank 7 or 10 with them to play their Story Part. Maybe i will declare War after finishing the Story.

Favourite ship: Dragon Marauder, because only speed matters :P + the Design let you hide behind the most Capital ships (good for boarding)

Favourite Weapon: Neutron Gatling because RATATATATATA! and a lot of damage if you get close (most NPC are jumping out of their ships). Secondary is the Bolt gatling (?) from the Teladi.Good damage and precise as hell.

Favourite type of ship: The Raptor because Plasma damage matters too! (Asgard is too op)

Favourite faction: None, everyone comes with their own pro and cons

Favourite moment in X4: The battle for the family Kritt! (Its in the spoiler :P)

Before that i have several Several starts too with the old Versions, first one as a Argon.With the 3.0 release, as a Split. With 4.0 i started a new Playthrough again as a Split, (idk why so much Split). All playthrough were different. I think my experience with X4 is not all about how i play V4.1. X4 is one of my longest Playtime in Steam and one that i always came back to play it.
Spoiler
Show

The Argon start was right at release Day, i did not played much because there where some other Games i have tried. It was more a testing.

After the release of 3.0 it was clearly that i would start as Split. I choose the Patriarch Side but later i switch over to the Free Families.I have build two Stations to get the Money i needed for the Fleets to deliver. In the Meantime i did get the PHQ, finished the HAT Plot and started the Paranid Plot but i never manged to deliver the Fleet to the Free Families or the Paranids.
I have build the Stations in the Split Sectors and while i played the Paranid Plot the Xenon starting their offensive. They attacked first the Argonians.I came too late and they lose their main Sector Argon Prime. While i tried to help the last Argonian Defenders get back the Sector, the Xenon rushed into Family Kritt. The small Zyarth fleet had no chance and the next one was Family Zhinn where my Stations are.
This time i was there at the right time and manage to defend my Stations. The Zyarth defensive Station where down so i decided to build one Admin-Module and claimed the Sector.
After successfully defending Zhinn i flyed over to the Kritt to claim this Sector too, but the Xenon gives me a hard fight. There where two Xenon I each one with two K´s in Fleet and a lot of Fighters. The first "I" fell quick but deals a lot of Damage to my fleet. The second "I" were Patrolling the Gate to Rhys Defiance and while i try to Kill the last Fleet, another Xenon I with two more "K´s" Jumped in the Sector, right into the Battle!I dont know how i Survived this Bloodbath but in the end the i claimed this Sector too.
I decided to clear and claim Rhys Defiance and MAtrix 598 wich where no Problem.
After that the i played not much anymore because real life has taken back to me.
There were other things happening too, that i can't remember.

With the release of 4.0 i Started again on Zyarth side. This time i stayed on Zyarth side and build my 3.0/3.3 Station in Zyarth Dominion.But Universe has changed! Less resources and some stupid Miners drive me crazy.
The story parts are stopped at the same point where i had to deliver the Fleet (Split/Paranid). I stopped playing because the Miners starting to block everything and some other weird things where going on with Trading too.

With the 4.1 beta (i think it was beta 4), i start on Zyarth side one more Time, but only to give some Feedback.Luckily i don't have to do much, because the community reports the most issues before i got into it :).
While playing and testing, some of my friends wondering what hell i am playing there for hours :). After some Steaming and explanation, some of them buyed the game. None of them ever played a Spacesim and they quickly got overwhelmed with the game and i had to explain a lot of the mechanics. It went into a Station Building Industy, ruling all Wares over the universe :). It was fun to see the factions buying wares for their Ships, releasing it and constantly battle each other.
o7

javac
x4

Post by javac » Wed, 27. Oct 21, 22:37

Playstyle: Slow, casual, leave me be and you'll live. Attack me and well, you won't! Normally, I'm setting auto-miners and traders up to make a passive income while I do missions or plan bases/ships.

Overall plan: Profits! To just have a sandbox game to chill in.

The aspects of the game I like best: Being master and commander of my empire.

Favourite ship and reason why: I love the capital Teladi ship bridges for me to just plan from. The open plan, sci-fi design is cool and the big windows make for a pleasant feeling of being in space. So, Stork and Phoenix work well. I've not got a Rattlesnake yet, but I'm building up to that this week.

Favourite type of ships and reason why: See above. But it depends on my mission, fast ships are so good to just get somewhere quick.

Favourite overall weapon and reason why: Bolt turrets for their noise, and they hit hard. And for the cool visuals.

Favourite faction and reason why: Boron.. but I'm an old x2/X3 player! In X4, they're all ok. The game doesn't really give much differentiation between them, other than personal choice. My aim is to keep them all happy. Except Khaak and Xenon.

Favourite sector and reason why: In x3, Kingdoms end, just for the song. X4 Music wise, I've got spotify so I can pick any track to listen to for any sector! In x4, I'm still deciding where to teleport my base to. It'll be that sector I love the most, whenever I do. Somewhere colourful visually. Suggestions welcome!

Best game design in X4: The station walkabout. Only because I envision a DLC that offers so much more to do. It's the one big addition to the x universe and it's still waiting for something more to flesh it out. Personally, I want a Mass Effect Commander style room that I can personalise to operate from on my HQ and my Cap ships, just to make me feel completely immersed, and more interaction from the NPC's and myself and themselves. A reason to dock up and stay out of ship for a while. I'm asking a lot from a smaller team like Egosoft, but I've loved them for decades so I can accept their limits/budgets. And the economy is cool, plus, teleportation between ships.

Favourite moment in X4: Getting the HQ and my first capital ship by purchase.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Wed, 27. Oct 21, 23:27

With a keyboard and mouse usually. 8)
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

kmunoz
x4

Post by kmunoz » Thu, 28. Oct 21, 01:28

Playstyle: Immersion above all.

I mostly run missions, fight Xenon and HOP, do a fair amount of trading and mining with some AI ships. I don't really do much with station building. I try to avoid using my mouse as much as possible - so that means staying out of the map if I can. I use a HOTAS with absolutely everything bound to it. There are a few things that I need the mouse for, but since a mouse feels like the most un-cockpit-like device imaginable, it annoys me every time I have to use it.

Because I'm not much of a station builder, I have the most fun in the early game. My main goals are usually to explore all sectors (using explorer ships as well as my own ship), get satellites in place everywhere, and then build a fleet - either by buying the ships outright or doing some boarding, which is something I only recently started doing (after 700 hours of never doing it once).

I'm the exact opposite of a min/maxer. I could not possibly care less about optimizing my ships/fleets. I pay very little attention to stats. I prefer guns that make a lot of noise over ones that don't, I prefer ones that have a short cooldown because they can make noise more rapidly. I basically play X4 like it's an open world Freespace 2.
Let's Play Poorly! - Suboptimal X4 Playthroughs

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Thu, 28. Oct 21, 02:06

My fav playstyle is testing my mods and try to fix whatever I broke :roll:

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Thu, 28. Oct 21, 09:33

I give each playthrough a certain theme that dictates the primary way I acquire assets. Things like industrialist, privateer, pirate (still requires mods presently). Overall the goal is ultimately to become self sufficient, it's just a matter of how I get there. Once I have done that, I do not feel there is really any challenge left, so I will just start over. I think it would be nice if there was some way to increase the threat posed by Xenon or something like that, because to me things like collecting a lot of resources for a mission is not really something worth spending time on.

To me variety is important, so I do use a lot of different ship types, from small fighters where I am actively involved to capitals where I can largely zoom out and watch the combat take place. I was a bit disappointed to find the initial offering of ships disregarded that last one, but it's getting better now with the raptor and asgard.

Most of my ships will tend to be Argon, Split, or Terran. I like some S and M Teladi ships but I am not a fan of the jellyfish ships, I preferred their old boxy ones that looked like something out of Alien. Same with Xenon really, not that we can even fly them anymore. I am not much a fan of the new Paranid ship style, particularly the larger ones, though I used to fly them more often in X3.

I do not really have favourite systems or weapons, as I mostly like to switch things around to keep from getting bored. I'm a bit disappointed in how few free systems are worth using from a resource viewpoint. In my hostile games I tend to steal ones near the middle of the map so I can go out and fight a variety of factions, now that there's no jumping ships around.
***modified***

jasonbarron
x4

Post by jasonbarron » Sun, 31. Oct 21, 19:36

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Sun, 24. Oct 21, 18:25
Tend to focus mainly on Trade & Build. Do a bit of fighting, but generally only if one of the factions is willing to give me a huge pile of cash for my trouble (blowing up a rival faction's stations can also be a good source of high end weapon mods).

Generally start a new game by trading in my starting ship for an S trader (or sometimes S miner) ASAP & use that for missions & trading until I can afford to replace it with an M. I then use that ship to buy an L trader, followed by several more, which I use as a manually operated trade fleet (not a fan of auto-traders or auto-miners in the early game). Meanwhile I fly around filling the universe with satellites wherever there's a shipyard, wharf or station producing high value components. That trade fleet then pays for the building materials needed for construction of my first batch of stations.

I usually have the same enemies & friends as the faction from which the character originates (e.g. if playing as Argon my enemies include HOP & ZYA) & will do what I can to help them in their wars, by prioritising trade with their stations & doing ship delivery & satation construction missions for them. I also generally stick fairly rigidly to my chosen faction (& their closest allies) for ships & equipment - e.g. if playing as Argon almost all of my ships will be ARG or ANT designs & equipped appropriately (main exceptions tend to be mission rewards).
I'm just getting started playing again after putting the game aside for the last few years. You're method sounds very attractive as a chill, relaxing way to get a new game going. Do you explore a bunch of sectors and drop satellites before getting started with trading, in order to keep up with trade offers? I just fired up a new start in Argon space, Black Hole Sun and honestly I'm kind of overwhelmed. I like the idea of trading, but I don't know where anything IS to efficiently trade with.
Ayn Rand was correct.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sun, 31. Oct 21, 22:30

My latest playthrough is one I call Outcast. I have VRO, XR Shippack (VRO version), and Xpanded Sectors advanced mod (adds 38 new sectors, mostly around the edges of the existing map). Other minor mods are X4 Fire and Smoke, Legacy Music, and No Battle Music. I may add Getting Paid mod at some point, so as to set financial limits on my empire size, but that is problematic because I have no source of income. I was hoping to convince some modder to make a mod which would grant me a set amount of credits per hour based on number of sectors owned, but so far nobody has taken me up on this.

In this playthrough, I started with a custom game in creative mode. I started with all blueprints, a starting factory that had at least one of all production modules (Argon habitation modules and Argon food/medicine), a shipyard, some miners and freighters, and a single Katana. All plots were completed, and I start the game as -30 reputation to all factions. My starting stations are located in Prometheus II. I gave myself a billion credits to begin with, even though I will only trade with myself, because I find I need to have funds in the stations in order for trade orders to be generated to see trade opportunities within my own faction.

I have a couple rules for myself. First, aside from my starting sector and factory, I am limited to 2000 workforce allowed per sector, my factories cannot go above this sector workforce limit, and each factory must have enough available habitation modules in order to be fully staffed. Also, I must own the sector in order to build production modules in it. Defense stations are limited to one per sector, with a maximum of 4 defense modules (not counting admin modules).

So far, it has been a lot of fun. Mostly the combat has involved small Xenon incursions, and I have also captured a handful of SCA destroyers that wandered into my territory. My hope is to take over the galaxy. I just wish there were more mods that add financial constraint to the size of my empire, because I would prefer more of a long term challenge.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sun, 31. Oct 21, 23:17

jasonbarron wrote:
Sun, 31. Oct 21, 19:36
I'm just getting started playing again after putting the game aside for the last few years. You're method sounds very attractive as a chill, relaxing way to get a new game going. Do you explore a bunch of sectors and drop satellites before getting started with trading, in order to keep up with trade offers? I just fired up a new start in Argon space, Black Hole Sun and honestly I'm kind of overwhelmed. I like the idea of trading, but I don't know where anything IS to efficiently trade with.
Can indeed feel overwhelming finding good trade routes at the start of a new game. I just make sure I'm always carrying a decent supply of satellites & while I'm flying around (e.g. doing generic missions) I'll drop one off every time I fly close enough to a station to determine if it has the potential to be a good station to trade with. The missions, & any opportunistic trade runs I find along the way, also pay for all the satellites. It's a fairly random process & I probably miss a fair number of stations, however by the time I can afford to start assembling my main trade fleet I generally have sufficient satellite coverage to find good trade runs for them to do.

Return to “X4: Foundations”