Why are terrans seem to be 90% africans?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Zloth2
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat, 7. Jul 18, 17:16
x4

Re: Why are terrans seem to be 90% africans?

Post by Zloth2 » Tue, 20. Jul 21, 01:17

What I don't get is that, after a few centuries of genetic engineering, these people all look pretty much the same - with the exception of green hair and some new joints in the fingers (watch closely as humans type). Oh, and it seems nobody needs to use a restroom or sleep now. (Nancy Kress should like that. ;)

User avatar
Quinnell
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed, 14. Jul 21, 07:51
x4

Re: Why are terrans seem to be 90% africans?

Post by Quinnell » Tue, 20. Jul 21, 02:17

Zloth2 wrote:
Tue, 20. Jul 21, 01:17
What I don't get is that, after a few centuries of genetic engineering, these people all look pretty much the same - with the exception of green hair and some new joints in the fingers (watch closely as humans type). Oh, and it seems nobody needs to use a restroom or sleep now. (Nancy Kress should like that. ;)
Sleep is a waste of valuable time anyway. And going to the bathroom is just inconvenient. I'd say these evolutions of humanity are 👌🏻
Quinnell - Terran supporter

Clownmug
Posts: 399
Joined: Wed, 11. Dec 13, 03:39
x4

Re: Why are terrans seem to be 90% africans?

Post by Clownmug » Tue, 20. Jul 21, 04:27

Quinnell wrote:
Tue, 20. Jul 21, 02:17
Zloth2 wrote:
Tue, 20. Jul 21, 01:17
What I don't get is that, after a few centuries of genetic engineering, these people all look pretty much the same - with the exception of green hair and some new joints in the fingers (watch closely as humans type). Oh, and it seems nobody needs to use a restroom or sleep now. (Nancy Kress should like that. ;)
Sleep is a waste of valuable time anyway. And going to the bathroom is just inconvenient. I'd say these evolutions of humanity are 👌🏻
They don't need the bathroom anyways, as someone mentioned earlier their food is made of methane, so they probably just fart it all out wherever they go.

Zloth2
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat, 7. Jul 18, 17:16
x4

Re: Why are terrans seem to be 90% africans?

Post by Zloth2 » Tue, 20. Jul 21, 06:03

Argons were using the three shells back in Rebirth. Now, they have transcended!

User avatar
Quinnell
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed, 14. Jul 21, 07:51
x4

Re: Why are terrans seem to be 90% africans?

Post by Quinnell » Tue, 20. Jul 21, 18:18

Zloth2 wrote:
Tue, 20. Jul 21, 06:03
Argons were using the three shells back in Rebirth. Now, they have transcended!
Can you imagine not knowing how to use the three shells. Silly people
Quinnell - Terran supporter

User avatar
oddible
Posts: 622
Joined: Sun, 12. Feb 12, 21:33
x4

Re: Why are terrans seem to be 90% africans?

Post by oddible » Wed, 21. Jul 21, 20:13

I'm honestly surprised the Terran weren't introduced as an all-female race and that all male Terrans had died off or something. Egosoft seems to have a thing for that.

delilah wild
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun, 5. Aug 12, 18:24

Re: Why are terrans seem to be 90% africans?

Post by delilah wild » Thu, 22. Jul 21, 01:28

Bababa wrote:
Mon, 19. Jul 21, 07:57
So I started playing the game and enjoying myself, until i started noticing terrans are like 90% africans (or so it seems). is it lore related?

I am not expert in the lore but it looked strange since in X3 terrans were made of mostly asians.
One has to ask why you associate dark skin only with Africa (there are plenty of Blacks elsewhere). More importantly, why did your perception of dark skinned Terrns stop you from enjoying the game.

Worth some self-reflection.

jakotheshadows
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun, 31. Jan 16, 06:15
x4

Re: Why are terrans seem to be 90% africans?

Post by jakotheshadows » Thu, 22. Jul 21, 03:25

I would largely expect the human species to be completely evolutionarily intact from the beginning of the X universe timeline. Solar system demographics would be likely to be the same as they are today on Earth. Maybe the Argon Federation would be a bit different depending on the ethnic demographics of those original colonists, but given that it takes less than ten minutes to fly from terran space to argon space, and less than five minutes to fly from any arbitrary point of interest a to point of interest b in the solar system, I would mostly expect that to balance out again relatively quickly. This is because of the FTL "gates" and "accelerators" that allow people to get around the galaxy as fast as you can in game. You can't expect evolution to do much when people live in the technological luxurious comfort that they would in a SCI-FI setting and are also able and willing to quickly breed with each other with ease. Now if we took FTL out of the equation, and it took tens of thousands of years to get from system to system then maybe we could make some sort of evolution argument for why the argons might be different from the terrans physiologically, but otherwise yeah argons and terrans in the x universe would most likely look exactly like humans do today.

Falcrack
Posts: 3267
Joined: Wed, 29. Jul 09, 00:46
x4

Re: Why are terrans seem to be 90% africans?

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 22. Jul 21, 07:15

What this thread calls for is for someone to crew a large ship with Terrans, then go through one by one promoting each to captain to record gender and ethnicity. But since that sounds like a lot of work, I predict nobody will actually do that...

I would do it, if I actually cared about any of this.

MrFiction
Posts: 208
Joined: Sat, 7. Jul 12, 19:16
x3ap

Re: Why are terrans seem to be 90% africans?

Post by MrFiction » Fri, 23. Jul 21, 21:26

I noticed something similar, the faces are upgraded from X3 (of course) but the races seem to have changed a lot. Is the generation random or with seeds, e.g. 20% this race, 10% that, etc?

dtpsprt
Posts: 1589
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31
x4

Re: Why are terrans seem to be 90% africans?

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 23. Jul 21, 22:52

All race barbs aside, and since nobody else "noticed" that the non African heritage Terrans are of Asian origin (according to their facial characteristics) and the "improved" Argons are the same, my personal opinion in the mater that this is the most "non offensive" solution Egosoft found to the disgraceful facial characteristics from V3.00 onwards. Nice start but it really needs improving...

dtpsprt
Posts: 1589
Joined: Wed, 6. Nov 02, 21:31
x4

Re: Why are terrans seem to be 90% africans?

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 23. Jul 21, 22:59

jakotheshadows wrote:
Thu, 22. Jul 21, 03:25
I would largely expect the human species to be completely evolutionarily intact from the beginning of the X universe timeline. Solar system demographics would be likely to be the same as they are today on Earth. Maybe the Argon Federation would be a bit different depending on the ethnic demographics of those original colonists, but given that it takes less than ten minutes to fly from terran space to argon space, and less than five minutes to fly from any arbitrary point of interest a to point of interest b in the solar system, I would mostly expect that to balance out again relatively quickly. This is because of the FTL "gates" and "accelerators" that allow people to get around the galaxy as fast as you can in game. You can't expect evolution to do much when people live in the technological luxurious comfort that they would in a SCI-FI setting and are also able and willing to quickly breed with each other with ease. Now if we took FTL out of the equation, and it took tens of thousands of years to get from system to system then maybe we could make some sort of evolution argument for why the argons might be different from the terrans physiologically, but otherwise yeah argons and terrans in the x universe would most likely look exactly like humans do today.
Given demographics that right now have the Caucasians as a slight minority (especially compared to the Asian and African populations), it is most logical to conceive that 2000 years from now the straight Caucasian characteristics will be extinct. Also, given the lore, the fact that Argons got isolated some 2000 years from Sol and right after reconnection they started fighting each other (how human of them) and also their extremely small genetic pool (survivors of Gunne's ships) they must be extremely "unified" in their appearance. Not easy to fight Mendel or disobey his laws I'm afraid...

Falcrack
Posts: 3267
Joined: Wed, 29. Jul 09, 00:46
x4

Re: Why are terrans seem to be 90% africans?

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 23. Jul 21, 23:31

dtpsprt wrote:
Fri, 23. Jul 21, 22:59
jakotheshadows wrote:
Thu, 22. Jul 21, 03:25
I would largely expect the human species to be completely evolutionarily intact from the beginning of the X universe timeline. Solar system demographics would be likely to be the same as they are today on Earth. Maybe the Argon Federation would be a bit different depending on the ethnic demographics of those original colonists, but given that it takes less than ten minutes to fly from terran space to argon space, and less than five minutes to fly from any arbitrary point of interest a to point of interest b in the solar system, I would mostly expect that to balance out again relatively quickly. This is because of the FTL "gates" and "accelerators" that allow people to get around the galaxy as fast as you can in game. You can't expect evolution to do much when people live in the technological luxurious comfort that they would in a SCI-FI setting and are also able and willing to quickly breed with each other with ease. Now if we took FTL out of the equation, and it took tens of thousands of years to get from system to system then maybe we could make some sort of evolution argument for why the argons might be different from the terrans physiologically, but otherwise yeah argons and terrans in the x universe would most likely look exactly like humans do today.
Given demographics that right now have the Caucasians as a slight minority (especially compared to the Asian and African populations), it is most logical to conceive that 2000 years from now the straight Caucasian characteristics will be extinct. Also, given the lore, the fact that Argons got isolated some 2000 years from Sol and right after reconnection they started fighting each other (how human of them) and also their extremely small genetic pool (survivors of Gunne's ships) they must be extremely "unified" in their appearance. Not easy to fight Mendel or disobey his laws I'm afraid...
Never underestimate the tendency of people to self select for others that look like themselves when it comes to producing offspring. Most people are not colorblind when it comes to choosing a mate, not in the past, and not in the future.

LandogarX4
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat, 1. Aug 20, 22:40
x4

Re: Why are terrans seem to be 90% africans?

Post by LandogarX4 » Sat, 24. Jul 21, 00:43

delilah wild wrote:
Thu, 22. Jul 21, 01:28
Bababa wrote:
Mon, 19. Jul 21, 07:57
So I started playing the game and enjoying myself, until i started noticing terrans are like 90% africans (or so it seems). is it lore related?

I am not expert in the lore but it looked strange since in X3 terrans were made of mostly asians.
One has to ask why you associate dark skin only with Africa (there are plenty of Blacks elsewhere). More importantly, why did your perception of dark skinned Terrns stop you from enjoying the game.

Worth some self-reflection.
How about you don't baselessly insinuate racism on part of the OP? He or she merely observed the fact that there is a large fraction of dark-skinned individuals in X4, which is unusual relative to both previous X games and sci-fi lore generally. As such, it may be perceived as undesirable without any ill-feeling towards people of any particular race. But I guess your point was just to virtue-signal anyways.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
Posts: 40647
Joined: Tue, 29. Apr 03, 00:56
x4

Re: Why are terrans seem to be 90% africans?

Post by CBJ » Sat, 24. Jul 21, 01:16

Well that didn't take long, did it? Apparently it's impossible for people to discuss this subject without it turning into an argument about who is implying what, so the result is that it won't be discussed at all.

Locked

Return to “X4: Foundations”