Making X Rebirth VR work with Oculus Rift S

Feedback and information for X Rebirth VR Edition

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Lyam Telos
x4

Making X Rebirth VR work with Oculus Rift S

Post by Lyam Telos » Tue, 2. Feb 21, 09:39

Hello!

I know the game is not supported and probably has almost no player as of today but I really want to make it work to experience it in VR. Until now, I managed to get it work with VoiceAttack for both Gesture Control toggle and VR View Reset (the two thumb rest bindings that do not exist on the oculus touch controllers for the Rift S).

I now get a new kind of issue: when using the gesture control, I can roll and yaw but cannot pitch. All my key settings are on the default controller profile except for two keys I added to make it work with VoiceAttack. I see my hand going up and down in game (when gesture control is active), but the ship won't move as intended.

Here is my inputmap.xml settings for steering, filtered to only display oculus touch axes:

Code: Select all

<range id="INPUT_RANGE_STEERING_YAW" source="INPUT_SOURCE_OCULUS_TOUCH_AXES" code="INPUT_JOYAXIS_RX"/>
  <range id="INPUT_RANGE_STEERING_YAW" source="INPUT_SOURCE_OCULUS_TOUCH_AXES" code="INPUT_JOYAXIS_3RY"/>
  <range id="INPUT_RANGE_STEERING_PITCH" source="INPUT_SOURCE_OCULUS_TOUCH_AXES" code="INPUT_JOYAXIS_RY"/>
  <range id="INPUT_RANGE_STEERING_ROLL" source="INPUT_SOURCE_OCULUS_TOUCH_AXES" code="INPUT_JOYAXIS_3RR"/>
I think I get how the codes work except for the "INPUT_JOYAXIS_3RY" and "INPUT_JOYAXIS_3RR". It makes sense for the yaw to use RX (right hand X movement), for the pitch to use RY (right hand Y movement) and for the roll to use RR (right hand roll movement) but I don't really know for this last one since it's 3RR and not RR. Really, 3RY is a mystery to me. If I'm listening to myself, I would say that it looks like a conflict and I'm tempted to just remove this line but it's an assumption since I do not understand this binding.

Is anyone has any clue on what's happening and how to fix it?

Thanks!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Making X Rebirth VR work with Oculus Rift S

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 2. Feb 21, 11:45

Here is a previous Rfit S thread in case there are useful clues in there. At least it may show other VR players that you could usefully PM.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Lyam Telos
x4

Post by Lyam Telos » Tue, 2. Feb 21, 21:23

It seems that no one found a real solution here for the Rift S. I've got the feeling that I'm not far from reaching my goal though so I'll try a bit more and update the post if I managed to make it fully work.

Lyam Telos
x4

Post by Lyam Telos » Tue, 2. Feb 21, 21:56

Ok, so I finally found how to fix all the issues that occurs with a Rift S thanks to some posts here and on steam community.

My post was about the issue with inputmap.xml and the fact that I couldn't do pitch movement with gesture control. So Itried to remove some lines inside the input to find that I misunderstood the line I copied in the first post.

<range id="INPUT_RANGE_STEERING_YAW" source="INPUT_SOURCE_OCULUS_TOUCH_AXES" code="INPUT_JOYAXIS_3RY"/>
<range id="INPUT_RANGE_STEERING_ROLL" source="INPUT_SOURCE_OCULUS_TOUCH_AXES" code="INPUT_JOYAXIS_3RR"/>
Those two lines were the issue. I removed the yaw one and noticed that it was this precise line that allowed me to do yaw movement in gesture control. So I finally figure (I think) what the "3RY" means. 3 is for 3 degrees of freedom, meaning we can do rotations on the three axis (X, Y and Z). The letter R is for Right, for the right controller. And finally Y is for type of movement, here it's Yaw. From there, I found the missing one, which gave me that:

<range id="INPUT_RANGE_STEERING_PITCH" source="INPUT_SOURCE_OCULUS_TOUCH_AXES" code="INPUT_JOYAXIS_3RP"/>
Those three lines completely fixed the issue for me and now I can fully rotate my ship with gesture control.

As a big Recap, adding my line to the inputmap.xml file and using VoiceAttack make the game playable with the Rift S controllers (which lack thumb rest touch surfaces). I'll probably write a guide on steam and here at some point to centralize all info on issues with Rift S and how to solve it.

Topher420247

Post by Topher420247 » Sun, 31. Oct 21, 18:41

I have a quest 2 and when I start the game thru virtual desktop it gives an error if I start steam vr in virtual desktop and then start rebirth then it works. The game thinks I'm playing with vive controllers but I'm using the quest 2 controllers and the only controller map that's available in the stream community mappings. If I click the right stick it acts like the vive track pad and allows me to select things in the menu. The left stick click also functions like this so I can pull up the menus or fire missiles. When I turn on gesture controls the pitch is correct but the yaw and roll are switched. So if I tilt the controller left and right I get yaw and if I twist I get roll. When I turn off gesture control I think that the sticks are supposed to control the ship but they don't do anything. You seem to have a decent understanding of the inputmap.xml so I'm hoping you can help me get these couple issues fixed. It's playable as it is but i could fly so much better with sticks.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 31. Oct 21, 21:21

@ Topher420247: You may be better off PM'ing the OP and including a link to your post in this thread. I doubt that the OP is still monitoring their thread about their issue that they fixed 9 months ago.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Topher420247

Post by Topher420247 » Sun, 31. Oct 21, 21:24

I did after I posted this i thought the same thing and went and sent a pm here's hoping I get a response. I'm gonna try and figure it out myself I already made a backup of the inputmap.xml

Return to “X Rebirth VR Edition”