Rift S Controller Support

Feedback and information for X Rebirth VR Edition

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Balloon
x3tc

Rift S Controller Support

Post by Balloon » Mon, 30. Dec 19, 23:50

I've tried to get this going on a Rift S, but the controllers don't seem to be supported. I've tried both SteamVR and Occulus modes. The visuals work (and are STUNNING!).

Are there ary plans to support the Rift S controllers?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Rift S Controller Support

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 31. Dec 19, 11:08

There was this thread too but without any replies.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Balloon
x3tc

Post by Balloon » Tue, 31. Dec 19, 20:40

Thanks Alan. I've seen a few pages referring to problems, but nobody seems to have cracked it.

I nw see that it's been 2+ years since the last update to this game, so I guess it's not being maintained any more. If so, Official support for Rift S won't happen. :(

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 1. Jan 20, 14:39

Don't give up all hope though. It is still possible that some improvements discovered or made in X4 Foundations accessibility and control could be back-ported to X Rebirth VR if it is practical, sensible and fairly easy to do so. They both use much the same game engine along with Vulkan.

Balloon
x3tc

Post by Balloon » Wed, 1. Jan 20, 20:04

Ta again. I'm certainly going to keep an eye out! It would be a fairly straightforward set of changes, just involving controller input mappings. The slowest part would be new graphics and documentation — and we could live without those.

XRVR is really in a niche of its own since X4 doesn't do VR.

I note that the Oculus store explicitly lists XRVR has having Rift S support, but the user feedback says otherwise. Compatibility was probably automatically assigned assuming that all Rift products would work in Rift S. This is unfortunate, because it means XRVR is getting bad reviews that it doesn't deserve.

skpnsf

Oculus Rift S support

Post by skpnsf » Sun, 9. Feb 20, 08:08

Simple question. I just installed X Rebirth VR through Steam. I attempted the play the game using the Oculus Rift S. The controllers don't work in Steam VR Mode or Oculus VR mode. Does the game work on the Rift S?
t

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Oculus Rift S support

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 9. Feb 20, 11:02

I'll move the post above to the correct forum (from X4) and merge it with the correct thread.

If by any chance you were asking about X4 and the Rift S then that game does not currently support VR.

Ganogati

Post by Ganogati » Thu, 27. Feb 20, 20:43

I'm somewhat curious about the specifics of the Rift S controller issues folks are experiencing. I don't have a Rift S myself, but I'd certainly like to try to help others who do play if it's possible.

In particular, when y'all experience the controllers not working for you, does that mean that they are 100% non-functional in game, and you can't see or do anything at all with them? At a minimum, does the right controller have a green laser coming out of it when you move it around? If there is no green laser, I'm curious what would happen if you tried opening the game in SteamVR mode instead of OculusVR mode. Recently Steam added full Rift S controller support, and I wonder if perhaps it would handle some of what the game is missing for that support.

If you DO have a green laser, or can achieve one using SteamVR, then there may be hope. At that point, I'd probably navigate to the settings on main menu (use keyboard arrows + enter key) and then head over to controls. I'd try remapping some stuff to see if you can get control of it. Should you succeed, you could remap the whole controller to use. Of course, the tutorials and mapping screens would be of no use, but it would work! If I could get my hands on a Rift S controller I'd make a map of it, but unfortunately I cannot. If someone experiencing this issue is able to and it solves the problem, it would be great if they could post the mapping for others.

Otherwise, if the game simply cannot register the controller AT ALL, then at the moment I can't seem to find any third party software to help with that :(

Balloon
x3tc

Post by Balloon » Sat, 29. Feb 20, 22:45

@ganogati, thanks for your offer of assistance. Unfortunately, it's been too long since I trialled the game to remember in detail what I tried. IIRC, the controllers weren't completely dysfunctional but I couldn't get in-game remapping to work. See also viewtopic.php?t=417847 and https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift ... 9043272976.

polarbair

Post by polarbair » Mon, 9. Mar 20, 16:44

I have a Rift S and the controllers work just fine for me so I don't understand why other people are having problems.

The only problem I've had is that the Rift S controllers don't have a thumb rest position to activate motion control. I got around that with a $12 program called voice attack. I went into X Rebirth's Non-VR Controls settings and set the motion control toggle to some unused key on the keyboard (for me I used the g key) then in the X Rebirth's VR Controls setting (which had motion control toggle set to R-Thumb Up) and unset that by pointing at it and pressing the a button and then the delete key.

Then in the Voice Attack program I set it to toggle the g key whenever it hears me say "Motion Control"

That way the game wouldn't automatically go into motion control every time I took my thumb off the stick for a second and when I want it on I just say "Motion Control" and it's on, say it again to turn it off; works like a charm. In fact that program seems a must have for any VR gamer. It really fills the gap left by the vr controllers having so few buttons. I'd dare say it's even better than keyboard shortcuts because you don't even have to press a key, you just say a word and you can have all the verbal shortcuts (to coin a term) you want.

But other than that the Rift S controllers have been working just fine for me.

Muskoka

Post by Muskoka » Sat, 29. Aug 20, 14:03

polarbair wrote:
Mon, 9. Mar 20, 16:44
I have a Rift S and the controllers work just fine for me so I don't understand why other people are having problems.

The only problem I've had is that the Rift S controllers don't have a thumb rest position to activate motion control. I got around that with a $12 program called voice attack. I went into X Rebirth's Non-VR Controls settings and set the motion control toggle to some unused key on the keyboard (for me I used the g key) then in the X Rebirth's VR Controls setting (which had motion control toggle set to R-Thumb Up) and unset that by pointing at it and pressing the a button and then the delete key.

Then in the Voice Attack program I set it to toggle the g key whenever it hears me say "Motion Control"

That way the game wouldn't automatically go into motion control every time I took my thumb off the stick for a second and when I want it on I just say "Motion Control" and it's on, say it again to turn it off; works like a charm. In fact that program seems a must have for any VR gamer. It really fills the gap left by the vr controllers having so few buttons. I'd dare say it's even better than keyboard shortcuts because you don't even have to press a key, you just say a word and you can have all the verbal shortcuts (to coin a term) you want.

But other than that the Rift S controllers have been working just fine for me.
I just bought this yesterday. Rift S touch controllers are working fine, but I cannot get the Gesture control to work. I have Voice attack set up, I see the "screen" move a bit when I give the command for motion control, but the touch controller isn't doing anything. I move it around, and the ship doesn't move at all. I followed your steps and bound the g key, and unbound the setting r-thumb up under vr control. Voice attack is not the issue, the command is being recognized fine, it's the game itself that's not responding to touch control motion.

Is there some other setting that might be conflicting?

Sorted it out, my error in Voice Attack, needed to change key press to toggle.
MSI Z370 Gaming Plus i5 9600k 4.9ghz 1.3v, 32gb ram, 1080ti, multiple ssd, Rift S, dual T16000m with throttle, Win 10

Return to “X Rebirth VR Edition”