Will the game have support for Rendering Shadows?

Feedback and information for X Rebirth VR Edition

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

lordpazuzu
x4

Will the game have support for Rendering Shadows?

Post by lordpazuzu » Wed, 1. Nov 17, 18:55

Hi,

I just want to know if the game will have support for shadows; The game looks really nice but I miss the shadowing, maybe is because of performance issues, I know that shadows are extremely expensive.

Thanks

Alejandro

breadmay

[4.3.0.0] Clarification - Shadow CASTING not enabled in the game

Post by breadmay » Sun, 30. Dec 18, 13:50

Hi, I've tried all the shadow options in the graphics settings and also setting them manually in the config.xml file and can not get shadows to show up in-game.

Edit: Just saw the sticky about required info. Am using GTX1080ti, Samsung Odyssey, NVidia Driver version 4.17.35

Thanks!
Last edited by breadmay on Wed, 6. May 20, 14:55, edited 1 time in total.

breadmay

Shadow Casting not enabled

Post by breadmay » Wed, 6. May 20, 14:32

So I spent a bit of time looking at screenshots and videos posted online and none of them appear to have shadow casting.

I did a test by setting the graphics quality to Low (No shadows) and Ultra (Shadows on) and the lighting was exactly the same for both images.

Can anyone else please confirm if they are having the same result? The game looks pretty good but not having shadows cast in the game makes everything look fake and 'flat' to me. I realise shadows kill performance but if the option is there to toggle shadows I'm assuming it should be doing something?

Thanks for any help.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: [4.3.0.0] Clarification - Shadow CASTING not enabled in the game

Post by CBJ » Wed, 6. May 20, 15:07

Sorry you didn't get an answer the first time around. For performance reasons, shadows are permanently disabled in the VR version of the game. The option to switch them on and off should have been removed from the menu, but that slipped through the net.

breadmay

Re: Will the game have support for Rendering Shadows?

Post by breadmay » Wed, 6. May 20, 15:15

Hey thanks for the reply!

I'm guessing that this game is no longer being worked on so shouldn't expect it in an update? Or no way of forcing it in an INI or via command line?

Cheers!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 6. May 20, 15:18

No the game is not being worked on apart perhaps from easy serious bug fixes or updates to ensure continued system hardware/driver compatibility. The shadows function was deliberately disabled because of severe game performance impact and so forcing it by other means (even if that is possible) might not give a good gaming experience.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

breadmay

Post by breadmay » Wed, 6. May 20, 15:38

I understand - at work we have access to some pretty high-powered video cards so was curious to see what the performance might be, especially with the Nvidia 3000 series coming out later this year...

Thanks for your help!

Return to “X Rebirth VR Edition”