How do you repair the Skunk? SOLVED

Feedback and information for X Rebirth VR Edition

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bazza
x3tc

How do you repair the Skunk? SOLVED

Post by Bazza » Fri, 18. Aug 17, 16:08

My hull is at 47%. I hired an engineer, landed on a platform (wrench), comm'ed the engineer but the game states "nothing to repair" despite the hull showing 47%. I even found an engineer on a platform (quite often there is no engineer to be found on wrench platforms), but the repair option is always greyed out.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong (yet again)
Last edited by Bazza on Sat, 19. Aug 17, 10:11, edited 1 time in total.
ZORK, IW2:EOC, GIANTS, NOLF 1, Runaway, Gothic I&II, Mafia, Arx Fatalis, Divine Divinity, Vietcong... I Loved Those Games

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 18. Aug 17, 16:34

Did you comm the engineer that you had just hired (and so now on your Skunk) or did you definitely comm a different NPC engineer on a station platform?

The engineer you hired cannot repair the Skunk hull, rather only your fittings such as guns etc, while NPC engineers on platforms can usually repair your ship hull if you dock and visit them.

An engineer already employed and working as the station engineer on an NPC station cannot be hired by you and probably cannot help you with Skunk repairs either because he/she is already working for somebody else.

Just keep visiting different NPC engineers that you find (you do have to dock and visit them - you cannot just comm NPC engineers from space as they need access to the Skunk).
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Bazza
x3tc

Post by Bazza » Fri, 18. Aug 17, 16:43

Thanks for the response.

So I have yet to find an engineer that will repair my ship. NPC on platform just has "repair" greyed out. Hired engineer in my ship... No (as you explained). General comms, find engineer, comm them, still no available repair option. So I am at complete loss as to how to get any engineer to repair my ship.
ZORK, IW2:EOC, GIANTS, NOLF 1, Runaway, Gothic I&II, Mafia, Arx Fatalis, Divine Divinity, Vietcong... I Loved Those Games

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 18. Aug 17, 18:38

As I said, you won't get a repair option just by comming them. You have to find their location (or just take a chance), dock there and walk to visit them in person. Then you should get the repair option if they are not already employed as the station dedicated engineer (or maybe even then as I'm not sure about the repair option being greyed out in that particular case, just that you cannot hire them).

Bazza
x3tc

Post by Bazza » Sat, 19. Aug 17, 05:16

Finally found a "wrench" platform with an engineer actually there (previously, no one was there at all!) and he then did have the option to repair my ship. Seems its only possible at wrench platforms (makes sense) but there is no guarantee of an engineer being present on those platforms (a tad frustrating and added to my confusion)

Shanjaq
x3

Re: How do you repair the Skunk? SOLVED

Post by Shanjaq » Mon, 12. Aug 19, 06:40

I am having the same problem. Hull at 5%, can not find any engineers on any of the platforms. I see engineers when I check the "info" menu for the station, but there is no "plot course" button so I would have to visit every single platform on the (large) station and search every room for each, which I am not prepared to do in VR... Is the "plot course" button missing a bug? I've seen videos where people just click "plot course" on the NPC from the station info window, but no such option appears for me :(
[ external image ]
SPACE HAS A TERRIBLE POWER

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 12. Aug 19, 12:49

@ Shanjaq: Doing it another longer way; press 'Enter' to open the left hand menu bar, go down to 'Open Comms with', choose crew for stations or ships, choose engineers, choose a name. You now have 'Comms' or 'Plot a Course' options.

Shanjaq
x3

Post by Shanjaq » Tue, 13. Aug 19, 07:09

Sadly, the "plot course" option does not appear there either, or in any of the other menus. I installed the "XR-utilities pack" and thankfully there was a "show on map" option when selecting personnel, and I was at least able to find the platform associated with the Engineer.

Edit: Could it not be showing because my ship is stuck in "station scan" mode? The 1-1 menu claims it's deactivating scanners, but I'm still in "station scan" mode and the menu shows no other option than to "stop current mode".

Edit 2: Restarted the campaign and now I can turn ship modes on and off, but still no "plot course" button. It turns out I just got lucky while using the "XR-utilities pack" because it seems to just highlight the whole station and there happened to be a platform that contained an Engineer in my line of sight. I've also been paying through the nose for transport fees according to the "The Postman Always Rings Twice" achievement, must be because I can't visit any NPCs to hire them, they always have to get delivered to my ship because I can't find them :(
[ external image ]
SPACE HAS A TERRIBLE POWER

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 13. Aug 19, 12:24

@ Shanjaq: As your game is modded and especially affecting the 'Find personnel' function, I cannot really help you further as this is not an issue in the vanilla game. I'm not even sure that mod says that it is suitable for the VR version.

Return to “X Rebirth VR Edition”