Help Save our Skunk! Can't access save anymore.

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

Drowchyld
x4

Help Save our Skunk! Can't access save anymore.

Post by Drowchyld » Tue, 21. Sep 21, 20:01

I am a long-time X player and today I found out some heartbreaking news... my X Rebirth game's save cannot be accessed anymore! I have used some 3rd party extensions for it which one of them seems to NOT be compatible with anymore, seemingly the August update broke that mod (I played it in July). I read some forum posts about editing the XML between the <patches> at the top (after removing the mod) but that did not fix anything. I was far with hundreds of hours of playtime, all stations in the main game's (not DLC) systems had trade agents (besides the xenon), I had a small fleet... I just really do not want to start over. I'd contact some of the SUPER COOL devs at Egosoft if I knew how to but I am sure they would not really wanna try to fix my game.

So here I am sending out a general S.O.S. to Save our Sunk!!!

Side note the team doesn't talk about Rebirth ever, like it's that 1 odd kid they regret having, but I have to say I love it! I love all the X3s and X4 too. I just really do enjoy Rebirth even though its a bit quirky. That's why I really would like to repair my save...

EDIT: here's my save https://www.dropbox.com/s/f19f1bzb8rdw8 ... ml.gz?dl=0

EDIT2: here's the link to my entire X Rebirth save folder
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2n6qnbrf39ze ... h.rar?dl=0
Last edited by Drowchyld on Wed, 22. Sep 21, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Help Save our Skunk! Can't access save anymore.

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 21. Sep 21, 20:53

I'll move this to the X Rebirth S&M forum as you are in effect asking how to mod out the effects of a 3rd party mod. That said, it would be really handly there if you said which mod you mean so that other modded players can advise you. We might even have to move this again into that mod's thread, once we know.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Drowchyld
x4

Post by Drowchyld » Tue, 21. Sep 21, 22:06

mod is called: Lets Talk About VR

https://www.nexusmods.com/xrebirth/mods/169/?

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 12:35

Drowchyld wrote:
Tue, 21. Sep 21, 20:01
I am a long-time X player and today I found out some heartbreaking news... my X Rebirth game's save cannot be accessed anymore! I have used some 3rd party extensions for it which one of them seems to NOT be compatible with anymore, seemingly the August update broke that mod (I played it in July). I read some forum posts about editing the XML between the <patches> at the top (after removing the mod) but that did not fix anything. I was far with hundreds of hours of playtime, all stations in the main game's (not DLC) systems had trade agents (besides the xenon), I had a small fleet... I just really do not want to start over. I'd contact some of the SUPER COOL devs at Egosoft if I knew how to but I am sure they would not really wanna try to fix my game.

So here I am sending out a general S.O.S. to Save our Sunk!!!

Side note the team doesn't talk about Rebirth ever, like it's that 1 odd kid they regret having, but I have to say I love it! I love all the X3s and X4 too. I just really do enjoy Rebirth even though its a bit quirky. That's why I really would like to repair my save...

EDIT: here's my save https://www.dropbox.com/s/f19f1bzb8rdw8 ... ml.gz?dl=0
Drowchyld wrote:
Tue, 21. Sep 21, 22:06
mod is called: Lets Talk About VR

https://www.nexusmods.com/xrebirth/mods/169/?

The following mods are written in the save file:

Code: Select all

<patch extension = "ws_394441537" version = "112" name = "M-Class docks for some ships" />
<patch extension = "14" version = "10" name = "Lets_Talk_About_VR_V1" />
<patch extension = "ego_dlc_2" version = "100" name = "Home of Light" />
<patch extension = "ego_dlc_teladi_outpost" version = "100" name = "The Teladi Outpost" />
The mod you specified should not affect the loading of the save file.
I think you need to install this mod:

<patch extension = "ws_394441537" version = "112" name = "M-Class docks for some ships" />
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =394441537

and for this mod to work, you also need to download this mod:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =393167595
Spoiler
Show
THE METHOD DESCRIBED BELOW WILL NOT BE REQUIRED.
ENOUGH THE DESCRIPTION ABOVE, THIS FIXED THE PROBLEM.

Another option, but without these mods, some errors are likely to arise, or maybe not, tests are needed:
Open the save file in a text editor: Notepad ++
- delete line:

- save the file
- start the game and load the save file.

Drowchyld
x4

Post by Drowchyld » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 15:28

I did that and it still does not load. I want to keep the M ships one (it framework to let fighters dock on certain cap ships so carriers can actually be carriers). I did, however, test it by removing BOTH mods and ALL the (not dlc) extensions. It says grey and gives 2 errors instead of just 1.

There was some XR save editor tool I tried to use as well but it crashed when I tried to use it, out of memory exception (which was silly because I have 32gb of high timing DDR4 ram).

I do appreciate you posting a possible solution, it just seems to be deeper. I tried to CTRL F but the save is such a massive XML it just will not load the whole thing in notepad or notepad++

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 16:32

Yes, it won't load. Loading is reset by 100%. Perhaps you have a non-quick save file? Otherwise, there is only one option, start the game over. :(

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 16:48

If you have an overlay enabled in your incentive, save files should be saved in your account. They should download when you start the game. Try to enable the overlay, rename the save folder and run the game through Steam. :gruebel:

Drowchyld
x4

Post by Drowchyld » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 20:11

I have other saves. I usually do a dual save before doing a quicksave before logout (in case something happens) so I should have 1 or 2 hard saves, plus another from a type of checkpoint event. The other comment about the overlay I have no idea what any of that means.

I posted a hail mary comment on the inactive mod (which was from 2013) just in case the owner of the mod comes back and updates it for this version. if I had ANY experience modding I would try to alter the mod for myself at least, so my game would load. I do use other ones but they never saved dependant like this one... and why they made it so is beyond me because it is really just a retexture of the dancing VR girls.

Drowchyld
x4

Post by Drowchyld » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 20:30

Is there a way to opt into the previous version somehow? I'd do that if it meant I can use my save again (and just not update to this current or future patches).
Last edited by Drowchyld on Wed, 22. Sep 21, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.

John Colman

Post by John Colman » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 20:31

I might have a solution. If you use the mod in question, can you load the savegame and play?

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 20:55

If you have another similar save, or close to autosave, take it. It is possible that the autosave was corrupted on save. Maybe the other works ..

Drowchyld
x4

Post by Drowchyld » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 20:56

As of now, no I cannot load the mod with my save because it's outdated, so this recent patch did something to break it. What? I have no idea. In July I played it fine. Thing is, it's a dependency in the save so you CANNOT load it without it.

I either need to roll back (again no idea how) or have the mod removed from my save (again removing the top line did not do anything, so it does extra stuff in the save that needs to be found and cleaned/ removed... no idea on what or how) or have the mod itself updated to play nice and load (but it is from a nexus mod from 2013, highly doubt they or anyone else would take over it/ fix it... I would do that if I could do even a TINY bit of mod editing, coding, etc. I've no mind to understand any of that)

Thanks for the idea though!

Drowchyld
x4

Post by Drowchyld » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 21:05

I tried to remove the line on ALL my saves. Nothing changed. That was the first thing I did actually, thinking maybe 1 had corruption. Its just this stupid mod. I hate that I used it all those years ago now :(

Side note: the other one is from steam and when it was in there was no error report about it, so its just that 1 'Talk about VR' mod.

I'd scoure a way to get in touch with the devs but, well, I get the impression that they don't talk about Rebirth, ever! :D There's so much work being done for the X4 expeditions and seasons stuff now I doubt they would have the man-hours, also I would not want someone to waste a whole day at work to try and resolve this issue. Lastly, it's a modded game! Unmodded games hundreds of hours old create enough chaos trying to look through for a cause since everyone's universe is different at that point. Modded games they would likely not even touch unless it's a private close friend kinda thing.

I'd LOVE my save to get fixed, just not at extreme cost to hinder the current work. Unless a Dev offers to on their own.

Drowchyld
x4

Post by Drowchyld » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 21:08

Okay, I am going to upload the entire My Documents/ Egosoft/ X Rebirth folder into a public dropbox link (anyone can download). I'll edit the original post at the end and stick the link there.

John Colman

Post by John Colman » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 21:23

Okay, listen. Go to the Lets_Talk_About_VR_V1 folder and open the content.xml with notepad++. Then look for an entry named save=1 and change the 1 to 0. Save it and try loading your savegame with it. Maybe this works.

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 21:50

John Colman wrote:
Wed, 22. Sep 21, 21:23
Okay, listen. Go to the Lets_Talk_About_VR_V1 folder and open the content.xml with notepad++. Then look for an entry named save=1 and change the 1 to 0. Save it and try loading your savegame with it. Maybe this works.
It won't work. In the error log, he writes that the galaxy cannot be loaded. I doubt that this mod broke the save. Maybe other mods were?

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 22:00

This save has been loaded - autosave_02.xml.gz

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1__vVXUt ... t=download

The time difference between 1 and 2 autosave is 20 minutes like. So you haven't lost anything.
Spoiler
Show

Drowchyld
x4

Post by Drowchyld » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 23:01

OMFG YOU... YOU FIXED MY GAME!!!!!!

What the heck did you do!!!

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 23:35

Drowchyld wrote:
Wed, 22. Sep 21, 23:01
OMFG YOU... YOU FIXED MY GAME!!!!!!

What the heck did you do!!!
You will not believe. Nothing. Loaded autosave 1, didn't work. Loaded autosave 2 - it loaded. Deleted the VR mod, added two missing mods, restarted the game, saved the game, gave the save you. :)

Enjoy yourself. :lol:

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”