[3D Modeling\Video Tutorial] Collada and blender import/export 101 guide

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

bioscmos303
x4

[3D Modeling\Video Tutorial] Collada and blender import/export 101 guide

Post by bioscmos303 » Tue, 31. Aug 21, 05:22

EDIT - 1/18/2024

after Blender 4.0 and above - Better collada started to work again 95% as it should
blender 2.8a still works 100% with better collada , but blender 2.8 its old and have less things you can do, i personally if i just want to move part locations i use 2.8a
and if i want to edit mash's like resize, cut or other vertex's sculpting i use blender 4

New: Video
make Batch file Convertor from xml to dae collada in 3 minuts

Convert Xml to dae Collada File
https://youtu.be/DP8sfcbmmBg

for xrebirth use this - newer versions didnt work for me

blender 2.81a
https://download.blender.org/release/Bl ... dows64.zip

better collada for blender 2.81a : https://github.com/ctforks/collada-expo ... r-2.81.zip
info \install better collada plugin : https://github.com/ctforks/collada-exporter-2.81 (gold !!! big thanks to the creators)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8EsDIvCXiQ&t=40s

PREPARING :

first remove all lights and cameras + the cube added by default when opening blender
make sure units set to none - this way XRConverters will inject back the xyz locations and other info to the xml as it should
(not like in 3ds max that cm must to be select and other options ...etc - in our case (for now) blender imports are easier then autodesk - just import and do nothing
and if you a beginner blender collada easy to use on the fly like by far from any 3dsmax around)

Grid setting - to make things snap - you can go up to 0.0000000001 (1e-10) for zoom\snap even more
but 0.00001 will also do the job - close window and activate snap (shift+tab)

view setting - because the Xrebirth collada items are very small - this is a must have setting : Clip start 0.001 end 1000.0
optional - i use - 0.000005 for max zoom in

open collada file :

Long story short - after importing xrebirth collada the xyz/collada file should look like this (sometimes without the minus on the x)
again long story short ...

before exporting :
not like editing x4 files - with xr files no need to change the x= 90 degrees effected by the import - leave it as is
later when converting back to xml the XRConverters will deal with it and filp it back as it should.
this also apply for fixing scaling orientation if you imported /unparent then reparent parts to other objects (xrconverter smarter then he looks )

exporting collada : select export - better collada

select Triangulate-
also if modifier used or added to the object then - apply modifiers - should be selected as well

export name - same as the original name ... overwrite (but its always good do have a beckup just in case)
more info on the way ... ill keep update it soon
Last edited by bioscmos303 on Thu, 18. Jan 24, 13:13, edited 45 times in total.

Drumma

Re: [3D Modeling] all kinds Blender -3dsMax Collada ,links and tools i find on the way

Post by Drumma » Mon, 13. Sep 21, 22:51

NIce post !! I used 3DS Max some a few years after its premier (iow, a long time ago).
Can models created from Rhino3D (3DM, Step, dxf, etc.) be used in the X games (or other games) ?
Is there a link to read about this ?

I recently started looking into making models for games and don't know a lot about the different software used. Some are pure subdivision modellers (like Wings3D) but most do subdivision modelling plus nurbs or basic solid modelling (such as Acad or Solidworks). I'm new to this so be gentle.

Thanks

bioscmos303
x4

Re: [3D Modeling] all kinds Blender -3dsMax Collada ,links and tools i find on the way

Post by bioscmos303 » Wed, 27. Oct 21, 14:35

Drumma wrote:
Mon, 13. Sep 21, 22:51
NIce post !! I used 3DS Max some a few years after its premier (iow, a long time ago).
Can models created from Rhino3D (3DM, Step, dxf, etc.) be used in the X games (or other games) ?
Is there a link to read about this ?

I recently started looking into making models for games and don't know a lot about the different software used. Some are pure subdivision modellers (like Wings3D) but most do subdivision modelling plus nurbs or basic solid modelling (such as Acad or Solidworks). I'm new to this so be gentle.

Thanks
i am about to update it - i found better info and how to use with better collada etc .. also i am loading a mod right now created 95% inside blender .. check soon stay around !!!

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Wed, 27. Oct 21, 15:31

Please do not share sources to software which is definitely not "free".
Just because Autodesk discontinued the sales for that version, does not mean it is now free to grab, thats not how their licensing works.

I have removed the link to Autodesk 3dsMax 2011.
This software is still property of Autodesk and is not free!
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

bioscmos303
x4

Post by bioscmos303 » Wed, 27. Oct 21, 21:01

linolafett wrote:
Wed, 27. Oct 21, 15:31
Please do not share sources to software which is definitely not "free".
Just because Autodesk discontinued the sales for that version, does not mean it is now free to grab, thats not how their licensing works.

I have removed the link to Autodesk 3dsMax 2011.
This software is still property of Autodesk and is not free!
yea old info and its useless anyway
i am about to update all this post with more updated info for better collada and blender only

p.s and yea i clicked report instead of replay before - typing all this

hehe its the skunk .. again :) :lol:

dertien
x2

Re: [3D Modeling] Collada and blender import/export 101 guide

Post by dertien » Fri, 3. Dec 21, 13:08

It is superb to see someone putting time and effort into showing the 3D aspect of modding in X-Rebirth. Well done and keep it up.

This should also be stickied :-)

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Re: [3D Modeling] Collada and blender import/export 101 guide

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 4. Dec 21, 11:43

Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

bioscmos303
x4

Re: [3D Modeling\Video Tutorial] Collada and blender import/export 101 guide

Post by bioscmos303 » Thu, 18. Jan 24, 13:11

updated few things - blender 4 works with better collada
more to come ...

BaStFan
x4

Post by BaStFan » Sun, 21. Jan 24, 21:46

Hi bioscmos303,

I followed your tutorial on how to convert XML files into DAE using the .bat way, explaned in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP8sfcbmmBg
I then read into this thread and tried the Command Prompt way viewtopic.php?f=129&t=360045&start=160
Nothing works for the DLC files from the "extensions" path (X4 Foundation). I was wondering what am I missing? The file extraction/unpacking works however as far as I can tell.

FYI I used to be working on a mod of the base game and started modelling a commander bridge for the Behemoth. So I have run the whole process of exporting, editing and reimporting files into the game back in 2020 using these same tools including XRCatTool and ofcourse the XRConvertersMain. There were no issues.

Can you confirm that the DLC files ("Tides of Avarice" for example) are using a different packaging so that XRConvertersMain, or the XRCatTool isn't working properly?
Otherwise can you or anyone else suggest why I might be doing wrong or missing?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by BaStFan on Mon, 22. Jan 24, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.

BaStFan
x4

Post by BaStFan » Mon, 22. Jan 24, 16:06

...got it figured out with the XRConvertersMain.exe!
I finaly undestood that you can not convert any file without having the whole game structure extracted.
The extracted game files then need to have a folder "extensions" with the subfolder of your extension (for instance "ego_dlc_pirate"). Then, and only then you can convert XMLs into DAE (collada). :roll:
Hope it helps some of those with the same issue!

best regards everyone!

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”