My First Mod: Pirate Variety

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

Dev disco

My First Mod: Pirate Variety

Post by Dev disco » Thu, 25. Feb 21, 20:22

I got bored after I became friends with every sensible faction (including PMC). Bored with hunting down yet another empty Rahanas Bulk&Liquid (or was it Container&Energy, htere are so many options to choose from). Or Sahanar after Sahanar. Booooooring! And all empty. Those pirates have nothing better to do than cruising in their middle of the road vessels, apparently.

So here they come in the Scaldisses, Fedhelms, Vultures and whatever they can lay their dirty hands on. Many are filled with illicit cargo, guns & ammo, or just random stuff they nicked somewhere. At last it pays to hunt pirates.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2407579236

It was quite a lot of fun to make this, aside from the mess Egosoft has made from cargo loading into spawning ships. That took a few tries and some verbal abuse.
I am thinking of two directions to get this further: make a game start as bounty hunter and add support for extra ships. The latter is difficult because most ship packs seem either not my taste (same ships with more guns), make changes to the same files I use, often in a pretty brutal way, or just contain one ship. Is there a pack that gives you quite a few new designs, preferably traders, and doesn't do anything else?

tomchk
x4

Re: My First Mod: Pirate Variety

Post by tomchk » Thu, 25. Feb 21, 21:15

Awesome, I hope to try this! Lost Sectors looks like it adds some pretty awesome new ships, but it probably goes way beyond the limited additions you want. That's another I hope to try soon, though, and it seems like it could be cool with your mod. Thanks for modding for XR!
Care to see what I've been creating? https://www.youtube.com/user/ytubrute

Dev disco

Post by Dev disco » Thu, 25. Feb 21, 22:14

I wanna give Lost Sectors a go as well. Perhaps I can do some dealin' and wheelin' with its maker...

KrYcHokE
x4

Post by KrYcHokE » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 00:18

Dev disco wrote:
Thu, 25. Feb 21, 22:14
I wanna give Lost Sectors a go as well. Perhaps I can do some dealin' and wheelin' with its maker...
Im here. :D Also great that new xr mods still come.

Dev disco

Post by Dev disco » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 10:55

I'll have a look if I can make something that fits your mod. But first I want to play a bit around in it.

Just to judge its potential beforehand: do you have new types of traders in it?

KrYcHokE
x4

Post by KrYcHokE » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 11:01

It's bunch of new l and xl trade ships + specific pirate warships with cargo bay.

Dev disco

Post by Dev disco » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 12:46

Nice!

I did take a quick peek into your xml-files, and it seems shipgroups conflicts a lot with my mod, but that's to be expected. I learned one thing from my cargo adventures, by the way.

This doesn't work at all in ships.xml, even though it's used everywhere

Code: Select all

<basket basket="energy"/>
<cargo>
	<wares multiple="false" chance="70">
		<fillpercent min="40" max="90"/>
	</wares>
</cargo>
You need to do this:

<cargo>
	<wares basket="energy" onjobrespawn="true" multiple="false" chance="70">
	</wares>
</cargo>
or this:

<cargo>
	<wares list="[antimattercells,energycells,ioncells,plasmacells]" onjobrespawn="true" multiple="false" chance="70">
	</wares>
</cargo>
Without onjobrespawn you will get no wares whatsoever and the baskets have to be referenced inside the wares element.
It seems you can override the cargo in jobs.xml (and it's done now and then, so watch out), but I don't see a good reason to do so.

KrYcHokE
x4

Post by KrYcHokE » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 13:04

Nice spot. 👍

Dev disco

Post by Dev disco » Sun, 7. Mar 21, 15:33

I just updated the mod.

* I added a gamestart "Pirate Hunter", in which you start in Albion being friendly with PMC, their police licence and *tada* 1 Credit. You do get some gear and a decent boarding squad (Cap, DO, Engineer, MO and 15 each of the 3 types of marines). I made sure that your personnel isn't crap.
* Small ships are more varied now and make use of most of the small fighters available. There is even a tiny chance that you will encounter a Golem or Moebius.
* M ships are less varied now (I trashed the energy transports), but may carry cargo. I managed to capture one that was full of narcotics, which was nice.

I am testing a version now that is an add-on to Marvin Martians Some Ships, which is almost ready to go.

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”