[MOD] Tactical Map

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

StoneLegionYT
x4

Re: [MOD] Tactical Map

Post by StoneLegionYT » Tue, 16. Oct 18, 01:09

Awesome job that is quite amazing work. I can't wait to see you in X4. People like you really make our gameplay a lot more enjoyable.

I tested it out basics wise and it seem to work just fine. I quickly went back to the old one for now just because vanilla map is still important for searching for me :)

I don't know if I have any suggestions that quite fit this mod but I might as well just speak my mind on what is missing from my gameplay.

Not sure if this is vanilla feature or not. If not then I would understand not supporting it for sure. But I once and a while see this in my log:
I have No way on figuring out where this is or how to get to it. It would be Interesting if there was a way to find it on the map or even see it more visually without having to enter the coordinates. If this is a vanilla feature it be an awesome small mod to maybe keep a list of last 10 locations or something.

The other one would be a simple direct command for ships in New Frontier Mod. They have a option called Voyager. So when you communicate with one of your own ships you can go to option 5 (More) then Option 1 (Voyager) and this will give you options to allow your ships to explore the sector, systems, etc.

I use this sector quite a bit Cluster also would be useful as an additional mod to use some those extra free spaces. But honestly don't do this unless you are playing the mod yourself. I don't want you to go out your way but it's quite a fun mod simulated the econ and such. Keeping my busy for the next 2 months :)

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Tue, 16. Oct 18, 21:28

Turns out I made it ages ago, once I switched over the vanilla map replacement, and totally forgot :roll:

Anyway it works on my end, see how it is for you: Here

As for requests, the abandoned ship finder is definitely not from Tactical Map, but something like a bookmarking system might be cool. And while I haven't tried NF yet, I'll jump at the chance to make the first non-vanilla command pack for Tactical Map :D

I'd been meaning to try it anyway, but kept getting sidetracked by other stuff.

Informer
x4

Post by Informer » Tue, 16. Oct 18, 21:37

Thanks m8, I still use this mod every time when I play XR. For me it is a must have. :)

Thanks for updating.

Greetzzz,
Information is power. But like all power, there are those who want to keep it for themselves (Aaron Swartz you will live forever)

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Wed, 17. Oct 18, 04:52

Thanks for the update. Sadly the Vanilla patch is like before it never actually works for me. Maybe I'm not doing it right maybe you should tell me how to open the interface? I tried , and . also the menu methods without luck.

Is the commands mode still required? I noticed I tried to remove mine but it must modify my save as I can't remove it without it bricking the save.

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Wed, 17. Oct 18, 13:22

Strange - it's a Sidebar Extender entry, so make sure you have that - and it only supports the sidebar mainmenu, not the conversation-based one. Does that help at all?

The vanilla commands thing is still needed, it just hasn't changed since 1.3, so keep that version. It should really have save="false" as removing it can't possibly break anything, so I'll get round to that at some point.

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Wed, 17. Oct 18, 14:54

MegaJohnny wrote:
Wed, 17. Oct 18, 13:22
Strange - it's a Sidebar Extender entry, so make sure you have that - and it only supports the sidebar mainmenu, not the conversation-based one. Does that help at all?

The vanilla commands thing is still needed, it just hasn't changed since 1.3, so keep that version. It should really have save="false" as removing it can't possibly break anything, so I'll get round to that at some point.
Awesome I derped up on not having the sidebar extender haha :) I was really tired yesterday sorry about that. I love the new map a lot and the format to finding certian things like shipyards, etc.

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Sun, 21. Oct 18, 05:39

Found a bug :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w8vOUeJ-9w

Looks like old wrecks that have vanished from in game don't vanish from the map. When you open the map they show up again but then slowly vanish.

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Sun, 21. Oct 18, 15:26

Thanks for posting a video about it. You're referring to the drone wrecks on the holomap I think, right, and at 3:50 is when they fade away?

If so, sadly this is vanilla bug. The holomap itself is drawn by the game engine, not the UI code, and so mods have no real control over what it shows. It has some commands you can give to it like "set the map view to this area", "set this object as highlighted", and "tell me what coordinates are under the mouse cursor right now" - but I've no control over when and which objects are drawn on the map.

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Sun, 21. Oct 18, 16:16

MegaJohnny wrote:
Sun, 21. Oct 18, 15:26
Thanks for posting a video about it. You're referring to the drone wrecks on the holomap I think, right, and at 3:50 is when they fade away?

If so, sadly this is vanilla bug. The holomap itself is drawn by the game engine, not the UI code, and so mods have no real control over what it shows. It has some commands you can give to it like "set the map view to this area", "set this object as highlighted", and "tell me what coordinates are under the mouse cursor right now" - but I've no control over when and which objects are drawn on the map.
Ahh thanks for the info. That is too bad haha. Strange bug that is for sure.

barra
x4

Post by barra » Wed, 19. Dec 18, 18:50

Hey megaJ,

Im sure you are busy by modding us fancy stuff for X4 but atm after my first "playthrough" of x4 , Im more interested in another round X:R.
I would ask if you can put in the guidance-to/set as waypoint-feature, as a grid button and r-click when clicking on an object, on your fantastic tac-map?
I have seen in theory I could do it on my own by adding the button to this file: "mej_tacmap_orders.txt" BUT i have no clue what to do :|

Jaswolf
x4

Post by Jaswolf » Thu, 20. Dec 18, 15:51

Thank you!!!
I discovered recently your mod and it is so good!

So much ease of use and so less clicking.
Your mod should be integrated into the vanilla game by default.

Great work!

barra
x4

Post by barra » Mon, 12. Apr 21, 15:30

Hey , I love what you have done with your tactical map mod!

I play the game with a PS4 controler, I found I could use your mod with it just fine, except for one thing: when I tab to the commands column, I just can scroll up and down in the commands columns but not to the left or right side.
Meaning that without mouse Im just able to choose the first command in each column row.
How or where can I add left or right scrolling in the rows, fe. by using the cursor keys ?

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Mon, 12. Apr 21, 16:07

barra wrote:
Mon, 12. Apr 21, 15:30
Hey , I love what you have done with your tactical map mod!

I play the game with a PS4 controler, I found I could use your mod with it just fine, except for one thing: when I tab to the commands column, I just can scroll up and down in the commands columns but not to the left or right side.
Meaning that without mouse Im just able to choose the first command in each column row.
How or where can I add left or right scrolling in the rows, fe. by using the cursor keys ?
Hey, thank you! :)

Unfortunately I really neglected to test the mod with gamepad whatsoever, so I don't have a good handle on what works and what doesn't. I only have an XBox controller, but I'll try to reproduce it tonight.

barra
x4

Post by barra » Mon, 12. Apr 21, 16:23

thank you for your answer. To avoid any confusion: Its not about a game controler itself but about hotkeys, which also could be keyboard inputs such as arrow left or arrow right, which will allow to navigate the command columns to the left and right.
Imagine you are playing the game with JUST a keyboard, now you open the map, use the TAB key to "jump" down to the commands section, when at the commands section you will unfortunately realize you can just scroll the rows up and down but not to left and right. Effectivly preventing you to choose the second or third command in each row. So basically you can just choose the first command for each row, aslong as there is no key assigned for left right toggle.
Spoiler
Show

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Tue, 13. Apr 21, 23:32

Ah, cheers for the clarification. :)

I can reproduce it on my end. It also looks like, with a keyboard/controller, you're stuck on the rightmost of the "4 action buttons" in the corner.

I'm afraid I have no idea what the issue is yet :( but I'll keep trying over the next few days and keep you posted.

barra
x4

Post by barra » Wed, 14. Apr 21, 11:23

Thank you, I really do appreciate your efforts!

I have an idea whats causing it, but from the perspective of a non pro.

It seems the command rows are not properly "formatted", the fact that the whole row is marked yellow instead of the actual marked button in a row, indicates that the whole row is beeing seen by the game as one row, not as seperated buttons. (Do you have coded the mouse clicks by using coordinates?!)
I would suspect that you dont have coded the "hotkeys" for up and down, but/because they are the standard behaviour for scrolling in a list, so IF the rows were properly "formatted", then the left and right scrolling would also work without the need to define hotkeys for it directly in your mod.

A quick and dirty workaround, would be to assign hotkeys for when at the command rows to "jump" to each/the next coordinate, but i could imagine this would cause trouble for the different screen resolutions that could be used...

If needed you might take a look in the gamefiles, for menus were a horizontal switching of buttons is supported, as for instance in the wares purchase window, with its OK and CANCEL buttons?!

Again thank you for your efforts, Im aware of the fact, that you coded your mod with using a mouse in mind and that the game is rather oooold, but I still like it more then X4 which I also own.
To fix the issue would be helpfull especially when using a controler and therefor givig your really nice mod an added "value"!
I would even donate you a coffee, not as payment (which i probably could not afford) but to show a gesture of good will ;)

barra
x4

Post by barra » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 17:44

I just want to let you know, that I found a quick and dirty workaround

I set " menu.numCommandButtonCols " from 3 to 1
changed "local numCommandButtonRows" from 10 to 30
and "local commandButtonWidth = usableWidth / menu.numCommandButtonCols" to "local commandButtonWidth = usableWidth / 3"
this way the grid stays, but only the first button for each row is filled with commands.
Its a bit ugly now but for a controller setup its even easier bcause i just need to scroll down with no need to "scroll" sidewards!
Spoiler
Show
changes in menu_mej_tacticalmap.lua

Code: Select all

menu.numCommandButtonCols = 3
    local numCommandButtonRows = 10
    local usableWidth = GetUsableTableWidth(Helper.standardSizeX, menu.selectTableOffsetX, 3, true)
    local totalCommandButtonWidth = Helper.standardSizeX - menu.selectTableOffsetX
    local commandButtonWidth = usableWidth / menu.numCommandButtonCols
    menu.commandButtonWidth = commandButtonWidth
to:

Code: Select all

menu.numCommandButtonCols = 1
    local numCommandButtonRows = 30
    local usableWidth = GetUsableTableWidth(Helper.standardSizeX, menu.selectTableOffsetX, 3, true)
    local totalCommandButtonWidth = Helper.standardSizeX - menu.selectTableOffsetX
    local commandButtonWidth = usableWidth / 3			--menu.numCommandButtonCols
    menu.commandButtonWidth = commandButtonWidth

But I would be gratefull, if you could give me advice how to set the grid atall to display just 1 button per row but therefor maximising this one button per row to the whole width of each row?!

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”