[Tool][Windows/Linux] XRWSunpack - Unpack downloaded from Steam Workshop mods

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

Lit
x3

[Tool][Windows/Linux] XRWSunpack - Unpack downloaded from Steam Workshop mods

Post by Lit » Tue, 15. Mar 16, 20:46

XRWSunpack for Windows and Linux
Unpack X Rebirth Workshop (XRWS) .dat files downloaded from Steam

This is a tool to unpack proprietary Steam Workshop format of mods for X Rebirth. Tool developed by me for GOG buyers of X Rebirth.

XRWSunpack create directory with mod files and ready to be placed in /extensions/ directory of X Rebirth.

To download mods .dat files from Steam Workshop use http://steamworkshopdownloader.com

ZIP archive include:
"xrwsunpack" for Linux
"xrwsunpack.exe" for Windows

You can simple drag-and-drop downloaded .dat file to xrwsunpack.exe
For advanced users read "xrwsunpack --help"

Link to download: https://github.com/Lighting/XRWSunpack/releases/latest
***modified***

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Tue, 15. Mar 16, 22:15

Code: Select all

<content id="" name="" description="" save="false" version="100" author="camus" date="2016-03-09" lastupdate="">

id=""

name=""

description=""

<content id="" name="" description="" author="alexalsp" version="002" save="false" date="2016-01-27" lastupdate="">

id=""

name=""

description=""

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Tue, 15. Mar 16, 22:24

alexalsp wrote:

<content id="" name="" description="" save="false" version="100" author="camus" date="2016-03-09" lastupdate="">

seems the missing data is taken directly from steam.. i snooped in such a dat file and the content.xml wasnt mentioned in the header in at all, the rest looked mostly like a EGO .dat file with all contents cat-ed together except for the header, which contains some infos about contained files.. (content.xml was slapped at the ed with the info above..)

to make it useable i would remove the lastupdate="" and fill in ID and Name with some known values (like the dat file name in lower case, or as id use the workshop id if its somehow retrievable..)
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Tue, 15. Mar 16, 22:48

Зделай при запуске открытие окна выбора файла для распаковки.

А то с командной строки вечно мучиться , как то напрягает.

Мне без разницы,  я со стима качаю, но испробовал, заметил неудобство. ))

Barons
x4

Post by Barons » Sat, 6. Aug 16, 06:44

Hello

Could you please tell me how to use this?

I'm using windows 10 and here is whats happening. I downloaded the files to my desktop and extracted them.

I drag and drop the .dat file onto the XRW.

Something happens really quickly to fast to see then nothing. Did it work? Im not sure if the file has been placed somewhere or if there was a problem.

Thanks for helping me out.

wazlord

Post by wazlord » Sat, 6. Aug 16, 06:48

it should generate a folder for the mod that you dragged to the tool.
the folder will be generated at the same folder location as the .dat file is located at.

if it worked you should see the new folder created there, then just copy the folder and put it in the extensions folder of your rebirth game folder

Barons
x4

Post by Barons » Sat, 6. Aug 16, 06:59

Awesome!!! Thank you so much =D

For some reason it wasn't working on my desktop or either i have so much crap on there i couldn't find it but i dropped it in a folder and it worked perfectly.

Cheers

wazlord

Post by wazlord » Sat, 6. Aug 16, 07:19

Cheers :D

lordmuck
x4

Post by lordmuck » Sun, 19. Feb 17, 10:32

is this still working ?
I drag the .dat on the exe and it does nothing :/

EDIT for future useres. I run comodo antivirus. Please ensure you tick the "trusted file" before using

EDIT 2, Thanks for making this for GoG editions

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Sun, 19. Feb 17, 11:25

lordmuck wrote:is this still working ?

EDIT for future useres. I run comodo antivirus. Please ensure you tick the "trusted file" before using

It works for files previously downloaded from Steam, with this.
http://steamworkshopdownloader.com

Now it does not work.

For unpacking mods are downloaded from Steam when the game starts, you can use this tool.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=363625

rafezetter
x3

Post by rafezetter » Thu, 1. Mar 18, 17:09

alexalsp wrote:
lordmuck wrote:is this still working ?

It works for files previously downloaded from Steam, with this.
http://steamworkshopdownloader.com

Now it does not work.

For unpacking mods are downloaded from Steam when the game starts, you can use this tool.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=363625
Can you please give some sort of "how to" for this because I can't see how I'm supposed to use program in the link above to do it - and I'm no stranger to modding, but this just baffles me.

I'm using the NON STEAM version.

Because about 30% of modders seem to think that buying games from places other than Steam....like GoG, isn't a "thing" and have only uploaded mods to steam with no dropbox or other external DL, thanks for that.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Thu, 1. Mar 18, 20:17

The Egosoft Catalog tool requires a .cat file containing the indexes to the files in a corresponding .dat file. Since the http://steamworkshopdownloader.com only downloads the .dat file, I am not sure if the Catalog Tool is of much use to you.

Have you tried out the XRWSunpack tool from the opening post already? Except for the missing content id, name and description - which you can fix yourself, as explained by UniTrader above - it always worked fine for me. If there's a specific mod it's not working on, maybe someone else can help out with downloading the files for you.
rafezetter wrote:Because somu modders seem to think that buying games from GoG isn't a "thing" and have only uploaded mods to steam... thanks for that.
Well, let's not forget that for the first two years after release Steam was the only place to buy X Rebirth from. ;) So naturally, people didn't have a lot of reasons to upload their mods somewhere else. If there are modders still active who have their mods only uploaded to the Steam Workshop, then asking them nicely whether they would be willing to upload their files to a a different place as well, is certainly an option.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

rafezetter
x3

Post by rafezetter » Thu, 1. Mar 18, 20:50

Hi - Yes I did try the unpack system, but that no longer works as the system it was designed for (your link) has been taken down, can't find a DL for it anywhere.

Yes Steam was the fuirst place , but it's been years now, with mods being updated and still only hosted on Steam... or even here - there's a list ofr "working 4.30 mods" on this site and a lot of them are steam only.

Guess I'm SOL.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Thu, 1. Mar 18, 20:54

rafezetter wrote:Yes I did try the unpack system, but that no longer works as the system it was designed for has been taken down, can't find a DL for it anywhere.
Do you mean the http://steamworkshopdownloader.com ? If the website is currently down, you can google for a different downloader, there should be multiple alternatives, which all pretty much work the same.

Edit: This one seems to work: http://steamworkshop.download/
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

danadi712

Post by danadi712 » Thu, 22. Mar 18, 20:17

Can you explain in more detail how to modify that file and use then this soft?

danadi712

Post by danadi712 » Fri, 23. Mar 18, 15:04

I try to make it work in DOS and didnt work.Because in Windows i cannot see what happened in DOS when i drag and drop .DAT file over exe file.

danadi712

Post by danadi712 » Fri, 23. Mar 18, 20:39

Nevermind.Is working.

JasonStarcruiser
x4

Re: [Tool][Windows/Linux] XRWSunpack - Unpack downloaded from Steam Workshop mods

Post by JasonStarcruiser » Mon, 29. Jul 19, 08:24

Lit wrote:
Tue, 15. Mar 16, 20:46
XRWSunpack for Windows and Linux
Unpack X Rebirth Workshop (XRWS) .dat files downloaded from Steam

This is a tool to unpack proprietary Steam Workshop format of mods for X Rebirth. Tool developed by me for GOG buyers of X Rebirth.

XRWSunpack create directory with mod files and ready to be placed in /extensions/ directory of X Rebirth.

To download mods .dat files from Steam Workshop use http://steamworkshopdownloader.com

ZIP archive include:
"xrwsunpack" for Linux
"xrwsunpack.exe" for Windows

You can simple drag-and-drop downloaded .dat file to xrwsunpack.exe
For advanced users read "xrwsunpack --help"

Link to download: https://github.com/Lighting/XRWSunpack/releases/latest
That worked but you have to add "extensions_" before the .dat file name for it to create a folder

Thank you!

alexalsp
x4

Re: [Tool][Windows/Linux] XRWSunpack - Unpack downloaded from Steam Workshop mods

Post by alexalsp » Wed, 31. Mar 21, 08:34

Если автор еще здесь бывает....

Можно ли доработать утилиту. Файл в таком виде 

extensions_minor_factions_extended_v13

распаковывается, но если файл сохраняется, как 

minor_factions_extended_v13

то утилита его не может распаковать. 

И было бы здорово, что бы можно было несколько файлов кидать на нее для распаковки, 
а не только по одному. Может уже пришло время сделать своей утилитке графическую оболочку типа открыть распаковать 
с выбором списка файлов для распаковки, конечно же если есть для этого желание. Это было бы сдорово.

If the author is still here ...

Is it possible to modify the utility. The file in this form

extensions_minor_factions_extended_v13
is unpacked, but if the file is saved as

minor_factions_extended_v13
then the utility cannot unpack it.

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Sun, 27. Nov 22, 18:50

Not sure, but try renaming to DAT.

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”