[WIP] Fly Other Ships mod (Need Help)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

Clownmug
x4

[WIP] Fly Other Ships mod (Need Help)

Post by Clownmug » Thu, 3. Mar 16, 01:31

After sitting on this mod for awhile, I've decided to try and finish it in some shape or form. My initial efforts in putting together this mod started with this thread: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=386694. Unfortunately I'm still being held back by few problems that I've been unable to figure out.

The most severe problem is that I can't "find" the controlled ship. When the player starts controlling another ship, I use <upgrade_object_by_macro> to transform a part of the player's ship into a copy of the other ship. This means the controlled ship is a component of the player's ship while also being a completely new ship. <find_ship>, <find_object> and <find_object_component> do not work to find this component/ship hybrid. I know the ship exists because it appears on the property menu and I can even assign a pilot to it. The only way I can "find" the ship at the moment is to have the player manually target it in third person view.

Currently the mod is limited to flying only small and medium class ships. I would like to add flying large/xtra large class ships in the future but there seems to be some kind of bug with the game engine. If I try controlling a large/xtra large class ship, then the game crashes whenever doing stuff like opening menus.

Instructions to fly another ship:
1) Order a ship you own to fly within 10km of a friendly dock
2) Dock player ship and remotely call other ship
3) New Order -> Fly To -> Let me fly your ship

After going through the above steps you can undock and will now be flying the other ship. Due to the "find" problem I mentioned, you have to target yourself or else the weapons will not be usable. If the other ship was a trade ship, then the cargo also won't appear until you target it.

The pilot of the other ship will be placed on the original dock you landed at. If the other ship is too small, then any crew aboard the Albion Skunk will also be placed on the dock. Talk to the pilot that was left behind if you want to return to the Skunk. There's also a guidance mission that is automatically added in order to locate the pilot. You can switch to other ships at anytime which will transfer the pilot from the new ship to the old one.

There's another minor problem while flying the other ship. I tried to restrict trading missiles, marines and drones while not flying the Skunk but it's still possible by using the "Trade with" button from the side menu. You can buy missiles, which are added to the Skunk's inventory, but buying marines and drones doesn't really do anything.

Note: It's probably not a good idea to save the game while using this mod. I made a lot of changes to the player ship macro which would probably make it unusable if the mod is removed.

Link to mod for testing: Fly Other Ships

Clownmug
x4

Post by Clownmug » Fri, 4. Mar 16, 00:17

Does anyone have suggestions to "find" the controlled ship?

Ravenhurst

Post by Ravenhurst » Fri, 4. Mar 16, 00:19

this might be hard to impossible if even ES says it can't be done (without a huge amount of work) but if anyone has suggestions.. so far I have only seen ship skin mods

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”