[MOD] Station Engineers

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

lubatomy
x4

Post by lubatomy » Mon, 16. Feb 15, 15:47

w.evans wrote:Thanks, lubatomy! Added:

Code: Select all

<replace sel="//cue[@name='OnBoardComm']/actions/do_if[@value='@player.platform.container.isplayerowned and @player.platform.container.isclass.ship']/@value">@player.platform.container.isplayerowned and (@player.platform.container.isclass.ship or @player.platform.container.isclass.station)</replace>
to NPC_Engineer.xml

Long time no see. How's your big project coming along?
not really moving much. been busy so Instead i been doing small things here and there and trying to fix some of the changes i have made for "quality of life" purposes in my own game. mostly trying to take the changes from being .pck files to being actual patches as an extension so that i can use some other mods without having to worry about screwing things up royally. of course the cold weather and snow is not helping cause that means the kids stay home from school when it gets canceled and the wife stays home from work which means honey do lists with direct supervision.

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Mon, 16. Feb 15, 15:58

lubatomy wrote:honey do lists with direct supervision.
Ha! Those can be fun. Had something like two days of snow here over the whole winter, and a night which melted immediately the next day. Kinda sucks, although too much snow is a bigger problem.

eMYNOCK
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by eMYNOCK » Mon, 16. Feb 15, 19:48

@w.evans

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> 
<diff>
<replace sel="//do_if[@value='@player.platform.container.isplayerowned and @player.platform.container.isclass.ship']/@value">@player.platform.container.isplayerowned</replace>
</diff>
Place these few strings in your NPC_engineer.xml diff, land at the station administration, call a engineer on your ship and enjoy the cutscene.

works for me since 29.12.'13 (file signature on my NPC_engineer)

regards

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Mon, 16. Feb 15, 19:58

Hi eMYNOCK,

You're right.

@player.platform.container.isplayerowned and (@player.platform.container.isclass.ship or @player.platform.container.isclass.station)
is redundant because there aren't any other valid container classes. Changing the code, and including in the next update. Thanks!

edit: wait, since 2013? Have you had a mod that does what this does since 2013?

eMYNOCK
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by eMYNOCK » Mon, 16. Feb 15, 20:05

Just for personal use and just a single file.. but yes.. since 2013.

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Mon, 16. Feb 15, 20:12

Cool! Thanks!

_____
16.Feb.2015 - v0.03 is up!

Swapped my cludgy code for eMYNOCK's svelte and sexy code. (Thanks eMYNOCK!)

Saquavin
xr

Post by Saquavin » Mon, 23. Feb 15, 23:24

Awesome mod !

I'm pissed off seeing my stations' weapon systems getting lowered time after time, for some oos combat I'm not aware of.

Can you please make your mod available on steam workshop, so that it will get upgraded automaticaly when you make new release ?

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Mon, 23. Feb 15, 23:59

Hi Saquavin,

Glad you like it!

I haven't uploaded it to the Steam Workshop because, well, it isn't really much of a mod. That first code block in the OP really is the entire thing. Was more of a "wonder if this'll work... wtf!" which I thought I'd share in case anyone else wants the same functionality in their game.

I don't anticipate it needing much by way of maintenance or updates since it's so simple unless EgoSoft changes engineer.ai.xml such that the xpaths change. And in case I do update, I always announce it here in another post, so you should get a notification if you're watching the thread.

About oos combat, are you running the beta? OOS combat seems a lot more sensible in 3.50 beta 1. I also have a mod over here that has a couple of tweaks for OOS combat that might be of interest.

Saquavin
xr

Post by Saquavin » Tue, 24. Feb 15, 00:48

I confirm it works, and yes, I'm running 3.50 B1.
I have assigned one engineer for each of my 4 stations, for about 1 hour now.
- My 2 engineers on young stations were on "analysing components" => fine, stations are newly built and have not been damaged.
- My 2 engineers on old stations were successfully repairing components like "bulk tube" or "zoltek appartment" => omfg I love you ;)

For now, I'm still testing the beta vanilla oos combat system, maybe I will go on your other mod if oos is still annoying me.

I will keep an eye on your thread, but for now, engineer station state is perfect in 3.50 B1.

oliverjanda
xr

Post by oliverjanda » Thu, 12. Mar 15, 19:59

@w.evans
Where can I file a complaint about this mod not being on steam? :)

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Thu, 12. Mar 15, 21:16

Hehe.

swatti
x4

Post by swatti » Sun, 15. Mar 15, 18:11

Neat mod, i'd recommend upping this to steam, just to make it more known.

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Sun, 15. Mar 15, 18:32

Thanks swatti. I'm inclined not to though, mostly because mods on Steam are updated without user intervention, so I can't expect anyone who's using it to know about what changed if it gets updated. Not that I can expect everyone to read the description at the Nexus, but at least everyone has to go through it to get at the files, so I hope there's a better chance that they will!

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Tue, 31. Mar 15, 05:53

curious if there would be a conflict between this and this mod/fix http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=378809 or are there plans in place w.evens to include it if it isn't compatible?

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Tue, 31. Mar 15, 07:58

Hey Requiemfang,

This doesn't conflict with bm01's Engineer Fix. They don't modify the same files: this modifies md\NPC_Engineer.xml while Engineer Fix modifies aiscripts\engineer.ai.xml

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Fri, 10. Apr 15, 02:19

hmmm... noticing something is it normal for the station engineer to constantly report the amount it's repairing? I got it doing it atm and it's spamming every half dozen seconds or so. First time I've seen this of course.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =422427224

It's showing this, but the station itself isn't even damaged.

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Fri, 10. Apr 15, 02:32

You must be using the alexalsp variant. Forgot to remove the logbook and notification spam from that. Sorry about that. Should be fixed now.

_____
10.Apr.2015 - v0.02_alexalsp is up!

updated the alexalsp variant to use the same alterations as v0.03
removed notification and logbook spam

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Fri, 10. Apr 15, 02:37

Requiemfang wrote:It's showing this, but the station itself isn't even damaged.
I do know that there was a vanilla bug with engineers trying to repair without needing to. It was reported fixed, but what you saw might be a legacy of that bug.

In any case, this doesn't change how repairs are done, nor when they're initiated. The main variant just allows you to assign engineers to stations. The alexalsp variant additionally increases the amount by which engineer skill makes repairs go faster.

edit: could also be a mod conflict. I know that angel618's Engineer 100 completely rewrites engineer.ai.xml, for example, so that will conflict with anything else that modifies engineer.ai.xml. This is also redundant with Vim Razz's Human Resources, but Vim said that this mod is just bypassed. (Haven't checked yet, but Vim's good.)

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Fri, 10. Apr 15, 03:05

I do have HR, so basically since HR bypasses this mod it's better for me to remove this mod and just let HR handle it?

If you want I can open the game up in debug and post the log for you if that's what you want?

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Fri, 10. Apr 15, 05:23

HR will completely overwrite the changes made by the "main" version of the mod, so it doesn't really do anything (or hurt anything) if they're installed together.

It doesn't have any affect on the aiscript changes in the _alexalsp, though, so if you're using that version then you still get that benefit.

Regarding the constantly repairing engineer.... You wouldn't be using J3PIT3R's production management mod by any chance, would you?

It switches off production by tricking the game into thinking the module is too badly damaged to remain operational, which has the side effect of making engineers freak out trying to fix that "damage"...

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”