[TUTORIAL] Working with custom 3D models

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

antoniut
xr

Post by antoniut » Wed, 21. Jan 15, 21:38

I've been trying to install 3ds max: no luck error 1603 . Blender doesnt work correct with daes converted :headbang:

lubatomy
x4

Post by lubatomy » Wed, 21. Jan 15, 22:55

i have opened the few xmf ships i converted in blender also mostly to check out the blender importer. I also noticed that the built in dae exporter in 3ds max takes 30+ minutes to export but the one in blender as well as a 3rd party one that i had found can export the same model in like a minute but the output is completely different and not using the same data elements so no idea if the converter tool will even work on them.

antoniut
xr

Post by antoniut » Wed, 21. Jan 15, 23:02

With blender export, it lacks a lot of things...

I've tryed this way: convert something to dae, import to blender, without touching anything export again to dae. Then reimport the last one, and it lacks things...

So if any modder have been lucky to have models modded in game, sure it must be made with 3ds. In the last versión of Litauen capital ships bridge, there are lod and xmf files working, crystals maybe...

killerog
x4

Post by killerog » Thu, 22. Jan 15, 22:39

lubatomy wrote: Of course going back to the original data from killerog, the main body of the ship mo longer renders anymore but i know what i did that got it to render in the first place and can repeat those steps.
Was this something wrong with my tutorial or something you did wrong the second time ? If its the first could you let me know so I can correct it. I must admit that when I was writing it I could no longer get a model showing (I think been awhile now) so stopped then ran out of free time.

lubatomy
x4

Post by lubatomy » Fri, 23. Jan 15, 16:28

killerog wrote:
lubatomy wrote: Of course going back to the original data from killerog, the main body of the ship mo longer renders anymore but i know what i did that got it to render in the first place and can repeat those steps.
Was this something wrong with my tutorial or something you did wrong the second time ? If its the first could you let me know so I can correct it. I must admit that when I was writing it I could no longer get a model showing (I think been awhile now) so stopped then ran out of free time.
it was something in the model itself.

What i did that has it showing up in game again is i removed the engine parts (just the 4 tips of the engines) and cut down the collision mesh to match the rest of the model. then it showed up just fine. I was planning to take the 4 engine exhaust tips and separate them into 4 separate models as engines to be blown up like other large ships. I got stopped though because the converter will not convert the existing engines to dae format and so I dont know what it would do trying to convert a dae to xmf as an engine module.

antoniut
xr

Post by antoniut » Fri, 23. Jan 15, 17:35

Converter is not working correctly

arc_

Post by arc_ » Fri, 23. Jan 15, 23:00

lubatomy: can you give a specific example of an engine file that causes importxmf to crash? I tried multiple ones, such as props_enginesystems_xenon_engine_xl_2.xml, and they all worked fine: http://i.imgur.com/U92Fsx7.png

lubatomy
x4

Post by lubatomy » Sat, 24. Jan 15, 20:41

i tried these:

prop_enginesystems_engine_m.xml
prop_enginesystems_engine_l.xml
prop_enginesystems_engine_xl.xml

all three failed

arc_

Post by arc_ » Sun, 25. Jan 15, 11:34

All three work just fine for me, provided the correct file names are used: "props_" instead of "prop_". (And even if you use the wrong file name, you just get an "Input file not found" message rather than a crash...)
Did you make sure to extract all the XR .dat files, not just the ones with the engines in them?

I uploaded the converted files here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/606 ... ystems.zip

lubatomy
x4

Post by lubatomy » Sun, 25. Jan 15, 14:07

dont know whats wrong then....maybe i dont have the most recent version but i dont think that is the case. i used:

XRConvertersMain.exe importxmf "D:\x-rebirthdata\Eng_test" "D:\x-rebirthdata\Eng_test\assets\props\EngineSystems\props_enginesystems_engine_m.xml"

and shortly after it starts i get the windows error of an application has crashed and it is looking for a solution to it. i even verified that this morning just before posting this.

that said yes i have the entire thing extracted and in a seperate working directory. every patch I make a new working directory for main game and now one for the outpost DLC as well.

antoniut
xr

Post by antoniut » Sun, 25. Jan 15, 14:49

lubatomy wrote:dont know whats wrong then....maybe i dont have the most recent version.
I'm thinking the same :)

lubatomy
x4

Post by lubatomy » Sun, 25. Jan 15, 19:06

i checked...im running 0.2.1 and have been for a while. i re-downloaded it from first post in converter thread and even with that i still get the crash and stop working message so who knows why its doing that for me.

i have downloaded the zip file though so that should help things alot. thanks for that

Chayde

3dsmax

Post by Chayde » Tue, 3. Feb 15, 19:30

hi
I just downloaded the 30 day trial for 3dsmax and can't get it to import *.dae , it just crashes - i can import to blender , but got the max trial as it is missing items on the ship (mainly the guns that i can tell) if i export the blender file as a *.obj i can import it into 3dsmax , but it's completly messed up - unless i only import a single mesh. any ideas ? i downliaded the *.dae converter - but it say's it's for 3dsmax 2014 and don't know if that is the problem.

Thankyou for your help.

Will

KrYcHokE
x4

Post by KrYcHokE » Fri, 22. Apr 16, 20:51

Hi. I have a problem with importing dae in Max, not found textures and after exporting from Max mesh black in game or vertex color only. :(

Mordhar
x4

Re: [TUTORIAL] Working with custom 3D models

Post by Mordhar » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 17:33

This is repost from topic: viewtopic.php?f=129&t=400525&p=4734471#p4734471
I was told I used wrong place to ask for help and advice and need to move here.

To finish one of my very old mods I needed 3D model loaded in modeling software (for advanced texturing and baking of normal maps).
I downloaded XRconverter (v.0.2.1). Then I tried to convert extracted files. Application crashed.
In case I made something wrong I tried different files, command spelling, application path, even tried to change computer’s locale to EN (I remember some programs do not “like” non-english locale). Nothing worked.

I also tried to use bat-files found in archive provided by UniTrader in topic viewtopic.php?f=129&t=360045&start=150
They not made by me (which eliminates probability of error on my side). And definitely work (because successfully used by someone else).
But for me using “extract & convert” BAT ended in large amount of Windows messages “application stopped working”. I skipped them for several minutes, which means I tried a several dozens of different files without single success.
Spoiler
Show
Internet search shows similar problems mentioned by some people. No solution was found, only answers “everything works fine for me”.

All files I tried to convert were successfully converted before. Some of them mentioned in tutorials, others (like Yisha’s face/body) were seen on screenshots. So they probably not “bad” files impossible to convert.

PROBLEM SOLVED

Many thanks to alexalsp who helped me to find solution. His advice made me think about file/application path.

I put solution here in case someone else will run into same issue as me.

So I done following:
  • Unpacked all DAT archives to root directory of the game.
  • Copied entire installation folder with shorter path (C:\Games\XRebirth instead of C:\Games\X-Universe\X Rebirth).
  • Removed all spaces from folder names.
  • Used command prompt without quotation marks (since they are unnecessary without spaces).
  • Disabled UAC, antivirus and run command prompt as admin.
Probably some of these steps are unnecessary, but honestly I do not care because it works now.

While all examples I have seen use spaces in path and quotation marks without problems, it looks like I was “lucky” to stumble upon a rare bug.

bioscmos303
x4

Post by bioscmos303 » Tue, 31. Aug 21, 23:49

[SOLVED With Blender] how do i Solo Control The Player position inside cockpit xml ? NO but with blender - files inside

viewtopic.php?f=129&t=441730

Drumma

Re:

Post by Drumma » Thu, 16. Sep 21, 22:47

UniTrader wrote:
Wed, 21. Jan 15, 21:37
it should be for any programm which can handle dae/collada, so it should be many Moddeling programs because this File Format is open ;) (and is btw also based on xml :D)
I think I posted this in the wrong thread so here it goes again.

Can models created from Rhino3D (3DM, Step, dxf, etc.) be used in the X games (or other games) ?

I recently started looking into making models for games and don't know a lot about the different software used. I used 3DStudio Max for a few months back when it first came out. I worked engineering well over a decade before computers were used to draw anything (all drawing boards), so I've used most of the CAD systems from the early days (AutoCAD, Microstation, etc.) but only a few of the newer systems.

Thanks

SirFrancisDrake
x4

Post by SirFrancisDrake » Fri, 17. Sep 21, 23:42

Code: Select all

Can models created from Rhino3D (3DM, Step, dxf, etc.) be used in the X games (or other games) ?
If Rhino3d can export the models as dae/collada, then it should work.

The best thing to do is to look at some tutorials for porting new ship models to XR/X4.

For example:
viewtopic.php?f=181&t=414274

There are certain points to consider, so that you can successfully integrate your ships into the game.

Greetings,
SirFrancisDrake

Drumma

Post by Drumma » Sun, 19. Sep 21, 02:54

Thank you for your reply.

Rhino3D will save/export Collada (.dae) files. Good beans. It will export to dozens of file types including 3DS files.

nuff said ... have a nice day

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”