[MOD] More Missiles Mod

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

NovaCameron
xr

[MOD] More Missiles Mod

Post by NovaCameron » Thu, 8. Jan 15, 21:07

More Missiles Mod v1.00

Nexus Link: 
http://www.nexusmods.com/xrebirth/mods/436/?

Steam Link:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =374182808

Credits: The Improved Missile Mod by iforgotmysocks

Requirements: 4.0

Welcome to the More Missiles Mod! The goal of the is mod is to... provide More Missiles! Well, yes, but, more Balanced missiles. I liked the Improved Missiles mod and studied it to create this, but thought it was unbalanced and gamey at times. This mod will also fix what I think are design errors by Egosoft.

There are now seven missile types with a total of twentry-seven missiles! Each has their own purpose and should be used through-out the game. There are: Short ranged Drone killers, Long ranged Sub-system area bombardment, Long ranged anti-fighter/light surgical, Medium ranged anti-heavy fighter/heavy surgical, Extreme ranged anti-capship/station, Short ranged saturation, and Medium ranged station capship/crackers.

So the three categories are:

Unguided (It seems you cannot cap the speed on unguided missiles. Thus they will accelerate faster and faster till their fly time is up.)

--Light Dumb - Close ranged saturation - 2km range
Light Dumb missile types are designed as close ranged capital ship and station saturation bombs. With a 2km range, 1-3 second reload rates, very fast speeds, medium to large blast diameters, and low damage values they are designed for close untargeted area damage.
----V Crushers, Meteorites, Asteroids, Comets

--Heavy Dumb - Short ranged Heavy bombardment - 4km range
Heavy Dumb missile types are designed as medium ranged capital ship and station siege warheads. With a 4km range, 4-10 second reload rates, slow speeds, high damage values, and massive blast zones, they deliver massive area damage to stationary unarmed targets.
----Vulcanoids, Plutoids, Planetoids, Nemeses

Guided Single Target

--Light Guided - Short ranged anti-fighter - 4km range
Light Guided missile types are designed as medium ranged anti-light fighter/light surgical strike missiles. With a 4km range, 1-1.3 second reload rates, fast speeds, excellent maneuverability, 0.25 second acceleration time, low damage values, and small blast radii they are designed to eliminate light targets at long range.
----Solarflares, Starflashes, Coronariders, Sunstalkers

--Heavy Guided - Long ranged Heavy fighter/surgical strike - 8km range
Heavy Guided missile types are designed as long ranged anti-heavy fighter/ heavy surgical strike missiles. With a 8km range, 1.4-2.2 second reload times, medium speeds, decent maneuverability, 0.5 second acceleration times, medium damage values, and medium blast zones, they are a good all around single target missile.
----Novastars, Novapulses, Supernovas

--Cruise Missile - Extreme Long Range Anti-Capital Ship/Station - 16km range
Cruise Missile types are designed as extreme long ranged anti-capship/station cruise missiles. With a 16km range, 5-10 second reload rates, slow speeds, low maneuverability, 1 second acceleration times, large to massive damage values, and large blast zones, they are good at destroying slow or stopped targets at long range.
----Pulsarbeamers, Quasarseekers, Gammabursters

Guided Multi-Target

--Light Swarm - Short ranged anti drone - 4km range
Light Swarm missile types are designed as close ranged anti-drone cluster missiles. With a 4km range, 2-4 second reload rate, variable speeds, excellent maneuverability, 0.25 second acceleration times, small damage values, and tiny blast zones, they are designed to swat down drone swarms easily.
----Spacegnats, Cosmosquitoes, Astrobees, Etherwasps, Celestialhornets

--Heavy Swarm - Long ranged area bombardment - 8km range
Heavy Swarm missile types are designed for long ranged area bombardment. With a 8km range, 4 second reload rate, slow speed, good maneuverability, two second acceleration times, medium but many damage values, and large blast zones, they are designed to bombard sub-structural component areas.
----Tristars, Pentastars, Heptstars, Enneastars

Other tweaks are:

All vanilla missiles have been tossed.

Missile capacity on the Skunk has been upgraded to 1350. (Might be a bit high. It is enough for 50 missiles of each type. Please tell me if you prefer a lower value.)

Guided missiles are now fire and forget missiles. Not fire and pray it doesn't retarget anything near a station. I remember trying to shoot a long ranged drone and watching the missile say 'LOL nope!' and go after something, probably a civ vehicle marked enemy, right out of the tube, and then getting, "Ren Otani, your actions will not be tolerated." They have lost their retargeting privileges. Only swarm missiles can retarget now.

Missiles have now had their fly times shortened. They should no longer fly around for half a minute-a minute, but 15 seconds or less. Thus you will use more missiles now. The only ones that have times more than 20 are the long ranged sub-system saturation (21) and anti-capship (which go for 26, 28, & 30).

Prices are now balanced properly so you cannot pop a multi million capship on just a few hundred thousand or one to two million. (Do lots of fighter missions to get missiles from fighters.)

I found that all missiles had the same explosion area when I was modding. That is now fixed. All missiles have a different explosion diameter from the smallest swarm at 40m to the largest station cracker at 600m.

Torpedoes have been removed, and replaced with Cruise Missiles. I hated going into the ROV interface for a measly 80k damage.

Each missile type has it's own drop and everything has a chance to drop 3-7 missile types weighted. You might be swimming in missiles. I want drops to be the main source of missiles and selling missiles a valid profit maker. Might not be enough missiles... particually lower end.

As Peppy Hare says, "Use bombs wisely!".

INSTALL:
Backup your saves. (as you should with any major mod. And this IS a major mod.)
As any mod.
New Game.

Saves: No.

INCOMPATIBILITIES:
Any mod that relies on vanilla player missiles to work.
Any mod that changes the (missile) weapon loadout on the Skunk.
Any mod that changes the Arms Dealer.

TO DO:

NEW: All missiles have the same trails. I want each missile to have a unique trail. --Still working on it...--

NEW: Explosions will be optimized.

NEW: Missile ware files so you can build them. ---I have no idea how to mod stations. Yet.--
Last edited by NovaCameron on Wed, 9. Mar 16, 23:51, edited 36 times in total.

Rojaad

Post by Rojaad » Thu, 8. Jan 15, 22:31

Hi,

I am not of much help to the xml macros this game uses but "iforgotmysocks" might be able to help you. He is the creator of that mod.

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Thu, 8. Jan 15, 23:33

Don't know if it helps (not at all familiar with the ship macros), but the unit_player_ship_macro has specifications for the weapon cycle.

Code: Select all

<slot ref="weaponconnection3">
          <cycle index="1" ref="missile_player_dumbfire_macro" />
          <cycle index="2" ref="missile_player_dumbfire_heavy_macro" />
          <cycle index="3" ref="missile_player_guided_light_macro" />
          <cycle index="4" ref="missile_player_guided_macro" />
          <cycle index="5" ref="missile_player_guided_heavy_macro" />
          <cycle index="6" ref="missile_player_swarm_macro" />
          <cycle index="7" ref="missile_player_swarm_heavy_macro" />
        </slot>
        <slot ref="weaponconnection4">
          <cycle index="1" ref="missile_player_dumbfire_macro" />
          <cycle index="2" ref="missile_player_dumbfire_heavy_macro" />
          <cycle index="8" ref="missile_player_torpedo_macro" />
          <cycle index="9" ref="missile_player_emp_macro" />
        </slot>
The same in unit_player_ship_a_macro, unit_player_ship_b_macro, and unit_player_ship_c_macro.

ps. While you're in the ship macros, I was wondering if you could help me with a small problem? I've been playing around with an idea for an alpha strike mod, but I don't even know if it's possible. Been digging around, but can't figure out where to start. The skunk seems to have two weapon slots and two missile slots, and I was wondering if it were possible to make the two primary weapon slots fire at the same time.

NovaCameron
xr

Post by NovaCameron » Fri, 9. Jan 15, 00:58

Aye, I think it has to do with the missing macros I thought I didn't need... the wares and data ones... I'll add them and see what happens.

The problem with the skunk firing more than one weapon as i can see is the hardcoded cycles. You could make a new weapon that has the plasma data, hep data and maybe the other two as well and fire them all at once. With a reload speed of 0.03333 so it takes a minute to recharge... but that gets into adding a new weapon. I don't know how to get over the cycles....

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Fri, 9. Jan 15, 01:02

Uh huh. More complicated than I thought it would be. I'll start digging again once I get a couple of things out of the way. Thanks! And good luck with your mod!

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Fri, 9. Jan 15, 02:01

did you test in a savee or a new game? it it was a save <patch_macro object="player.primaryship" /> may help (that fixed weaponcycle-related crashes for me on other Ships)
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

NovaCameron
xr

Post by NovaCameron » Fri, 9. Jan 15, 02:04

Always a new game for testing.

I found it! Had to add in general weapon components and add my new ship macros to the macro list. xD Though now I just made it incompatible with any mods that change the ship layout....

Edit: Nope... I had a typo in the index listing as indek ._.

NovaCameron
xr

Post by NovaCameron » Fri, 9. Jan 15, 15:54

YAY! It is out now! Give it a try. Current version: 0.8

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Fri, 9. Jan 15, 16:06

Looks cool! And much more functional than the existing missile system.

Am assuming that these will affect saves. But is it possible to just activate it into an existing game? Will it translate existing missiles to counterparts in the mod?

edit: and which missiles are these:
NovaCameron wrote:long ranged Sub-system area bombardment
? Can't seem to find them in the table.

edit 2: Ah! Must be the long ranged swarm. Sorry, didn't spot those my first time through the table.
Last edited by w.evans on Fri, 9. Jan 15, 16:17, edited 2 times in total.

NovaCameron
xr

Post by NovaCameron » Fri, 9. Jan 15, 16:13

Maybe. Use the <patch_macro object="player.primaryship" /> command UniTrader posted could work.

I am not good at scripts yet so sell all vanilla missile before loading.

It was simpler for me just to rip out the old ones...

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Fri, 9. Jan 15, 16:15

Thanks for the quick reply! Meant missiles on existing ships other than the Skunk in an existing universe. Will they continue to fire the old missiles? (would probably be easiest to do it that way for now?)

NovaCameron
xr

Post by NovaCameron » Fri, 9. Jan 15, 16:19

The player missiles are completely independent from any other missiles in the game.

Edited Main: Added more info.

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Fri, 9. Jan 15, 16:20

Aha! Cool! Thanks!

NovaCameron
xr

Post by NovaCameron » Fri, 9. Jan 15, 17:41

Edit: Added more info to Main. I keep forgetting things I added.

Edit2: Also removed the 0.1 version from Nexus... Sorry about that. I forgot to delete it.

NovaCameron
xr

Post by NovaCameron » Sat, 10. Jan 15, 17:06

Updated to 0.85:
Added wares, Missile type descriptions, and Teladi expansion and 3.0 requirements. Updated main with more info and fixed links.

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Sat, 10. Jan 15, 17:28

You have a "macos" folder in [assets\wares\]. Looks like a temp folder with the old missile macros? Don't think it does anything, but thought that you might want to know.

Great mod! Thanks! And thanks for the update!

NovaCameron
xr

Post by NovaCameron » Sat, 10. Jan 15, 18:22

Dang it... Well it doesn't do any since it is mispelled. (Wasn't supposed to.) I'll make sure it is gone in the next update.

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Sat, 10. Jan 15, 18:48

I know that you said that it requires a new game start, but I thought that you might be interested to know that I tried just plugging it in to my existing save anyway, and editing my save to put in your unit_player_ship_macro changes, and altering my missiles onboard to rough approximations from your table.

The missiles appear to be working fine, although I haven't found a hostile to test them on in the brief time I was in the game. Interestingly, firing missiles at random friendly freighters didn't seem to trigger any aggro. (Don't know if this is a vanilla issue. Never thought to try that before.) And the gammabursters and sunstalkers seemed to just fly off. Are they Friend/Foe? The swarm missiles tracked nicely though.

Only problem seems to be that there seems to be a problem updating the arms dealers with the new wares lists. All of them have nothing for sale, and getting lots of these errors in my debuglog:

[General] ======================================
[=ERROR=] Error while importing ware amount list: Invalid ware 'spe_ammo_swarmmissile_h', file name '', line 24336
[=ERROR=] Import() Error importing script data type 'ware'
[=ERROR=] Property lookup failed: ware.spe_ammo_dumbfiremissile_h
[=ERROR=] extensions\ego_dlc_teladi_outpost\md\setup_teladi_outpost.xml(104): Warning while parsing expression: Property lookup failed
* Input: [md.$FieldsOfOpportunity, [ [ [ware.spe_ammo_dumbfiremissile, 20, 40, 90], [ware.spe_ammo_dumbfiremissile_h, 8, 16, 70], [ware.spe_ammo_guidedmissile_l, 18, 36, 90], [ware.spe_ammo_guidedmissile, 16, 32, 80], [ware.spe_ammo_guidedmissile_h, 6, 12, 70], [ware.spe_ammo_swarmmissile, 4, 8, 70], [ware.spe_ammo_swarmmissile_h, 2, 4, 60], [ware.spe_ammo_empmissile, 6, 12, 100] ] ] ]
* Pos: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

lots and lots of those. I did try moving to different zones, but haven't tried going to different sectors yet. Will try that next.

In any case, am hoping that it'll just settle down given time, so I'll keep it running for a while.

ps. Those gammabursters are huge!

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Sat, 10. Jan 15, 20:51

jumping to a sector where I haven't been in a while, and where no arms dealers were initialized, and they're still not generating their ware lists. (They're not selling anything.) Awesome as those new enneastars are (finally found a pirate cap who was nice enough to stand still while I tested my new ordnance), I'll have to go back to my back-ups and uninstall the mod, unless someone knows if there's anything else I can edit to get it working?

Also, don't know if it's deliberate, but the contents of the files in [assets\wares\macros\] are strange.

wrs_astrobeemissile_macro.xml, for example has:

Code: Select all

<macros>
  <macro name="wrs_silicon_macro" class="object">
    <component ref="wrs_silicon" />
    <properties>
      <identification unique="0" />
    </properties>
  </macro>
</macros>
Hoping that maybe those files are all that's wrong. I really like those heavy swarmers! Felt like a hit from the old macross shows!

JESS 246
x3

Post by JESS 246 » Sat, 10. Jan 15, 21:32

Hi NovaCameron

I've just given this mod a try and not one missile has hit a fighter and its do to some are to slow and some won't go near the target they just fly off on a long arc around the target others turn back on the skunk and some go to the where the target was when fired as if the target is still there.

I know you are still working some bug out maybe these issues that i'm having will add some insight.

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”