[GAMESTARTS] Transcend - Lost Colony (updated March 20, 2017)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Sun, 8. Jan 17, 12:54

Welcome back :)

I switched to vanilla for bug hunting a while ago so it's been a while since I used this mod. Maybe some of the following notes on recent game changes could be useful.

Mass traffic
There have been a couple of documented fixes, including for the way it can be used by a station's cargo drones to trade with other stations in-zone. If the optional removal was for performance or aesthetic reasons, maybe this isn't important though.

Medium ships
They have received moderate increases to their base speed, and gained Skunk-style boost engines (for combat and fleeing combat). The base speed helps when there are no highways but capitals are probably still the logical choice in such circumstances.

Vanilla game start with free station
A bug preventing the replacement of CVs at the free Pharma Lab in the Empire Builder start was found and fixed in 4.00. If there was any problem with the mod's free stations in the past, it seems fine now (I destroyed the CV at the free Energy Array and I could ask an Architect on a new CV to work deploy to the station).

Tree of life map
There are jump beacons at every zone apart from Hermit's Refuge. Not sure if that was intentional so mentioning in case it wasn't.

Station construction in "Empty Space"
Just before your last update to this mod, we gained the ability to build stations in temporary zones to make them permanent, and after we can rename the zone. This probably isn't news to you. We [still] cannot make highways so there's still similarity to the "no highways" version of this mod.

NPCs on player-owned stations
Player-owned stations now become populated with NPCs like the inventory ware traders etc. I am checking the mod in 4.10 beta quickly and these NPCs appear on the free stations in the mod's Empire start - nice.

On that note though, there are Mechanics included in the list of NPCs working on both stations. I can't remember if that occurred with the mod under earlier version of Rebirth. If it was done as a work-around for there being no NPCs on player-owned stations in the past, perhaps it isn't needed now.

Free Engineer on the Skunk
In the 4.10 beta, we only have "Goodbye" as a conversation option when talking to the free 5* Engineer on the Skunk (empire start). This means we can't assign them elsewhere if needed (not terrible though). On the other hand, if we ask another Engineer to work on the Skunk, the free Engineer still only has "Goodbye" as an option so probably cannot be removed.

Home of Light DLC
It's 3 new systems have a connection to Maelstrom but it's in a different sector to this mod's connection so I presume they are compatible with each other.

Free capitals in empire start
They typically have 999 units of fuel. Not sure if intentional or a side effect of something that changed in Rebirth at some point.

Change to the vanilla OL system map
Alongside pirate capitals starting to collect wares from ships the destroy, a pirate station was added to Murky Skies (the analogue to Hidden Meanings in this mod). That station doesn't appear in the mod when I open it in 4.10, which makes sense (probably a naive thing to bother checking but I am not a modder so thought I might as well).

New Start menu and equipment
Support has been added for separation of info. For example, in the default game starts, things like location and starting ships are in their own boxes. Hart to describe - probably easiest to look at the vanilla game starts to see if the option is of interest. On a related note, SETA and a player ship jump drive are now in the game via crafting rare loot. Mentioning in case adding one or the other fits with the ethos of the mod's empire start.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Sun, 8. Jan 17, 13:02

When I first encountered this mod it had a more aggressive start, this was toned down ( understandable for some players ) ... I hope that the option for a more aggressive/harsher Transcend would be available.... :)

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Thu, 12. Jan 17, 04:06

Thank you very much for the concise list and suggestions! I'm not sure exactly when I'll be able to pick this up again, but updating this mod is long overdue. Thanks.

NZ-Wanderer
x4

Post by NZ-Wanderer » Sat, 14. Jan 17, 20:42

Great to see you back Observe :D
Link to the list of Mods working in X4-Foundations and also Link to the list of Mods working in X-Rebirth

NOTE: I play with a modded game, so any reports I make outlining suggestions/problems/bugs/annoyances, are made with mods installed and running.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Tue, 7. Mar 17, 02:50

This mod originally came with both a no-highways and standard highways versions. I produced the no-highways version, because I personally hate them (highways).

However, due to reasons I don't exactly remember, the only version I have on Steam workshop, is the one with highways.

I have a question: If I have only one version, is the no-highways or the highways version preferred?

Thank you.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Tue, 7. Mar 17, 10:48

Initially the highways could help in easy exploration but my preference would be no highways....

Thufar
x4

Post by Thufar » Tue, 7. Mar 17, 14:34

Highways!
Regards,
Thu

Senner

Post by Senner » Tue, 7. Mar 17, 19:03

Highways, please. But make them look better.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Tue, 7. Mar 17, 19:55

Thanks guys! I think it makes sense, that those who play this game, generally don't have strong objection to highways. Therefore, I'm going to concentrate on the highways version for now.

Perhaps sometime in the future, I might revive the no-highways version, along with the "exodus" start that I was working on for it. In the meantime, my time availability is very short, so I'll see if I can at least get the current version updated.

Fortunately, there isn't much to update beyond placement of a couple of stations, and a few tweaks here and there in response to comments by Sparky Sparkycorp and others.

Thanks.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Tue, 7. Mar 17, 21:08

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote: Mass traffic
There have been a couple of documented fixes, including for the way it can be used by a station's cargo drones to trade with other stations in-zone. If the optional removal was for performance or aesthetic reasons, maybe this isn't important though.
I have reduced the population of mass traffic for both performance and aesthetic reasons.
Medium ships
They have received moderate increases to their base speed, and gained Skunk-style boost engines (for combat and fleeing combat). The base speed helps when there are no highways but capitals are probably still the logical choice in such circumstances.
I don't affect these at all in the highways version of this mod (only version currently)
Vanilla game start with free station
A bug preventing the replacement of CVs at the free Pharma Lab in the Empire Builder start was found and fixed in 4.00. If there was any problem with the mod's free stations in the past, it seems fine now (I destroyed the CV at the free Energy Array and I could ask an Architect on a new CV to work deploy to the station).
Thanks. Nothing to do here.

Tree of life map
There are jump beacons at every zone apart from Hermit's Refuge. Not sure if that was intentional so mentioning in case it wasn't.
Those were leftovers from development. They will be removed.

Station construction in "Empty Space"
Just before your last update to this mod, we gained the ability to build stations in temporary zones to make them permanent, and after we can rename the zone. This probably isn't news to you. We [still] cannot make highways so there's still similarity to the "no highways" version of this mod.
I am considering the impact of this change in terms of whether I need to anything or not.

NPCs on player-owned stations
Player-owned stations now become populated with NPCs like the inventory ware traders etc. I am checking the mod in 4.10 beta quickly and these NPCs appear on the free stations in the mod's Empire start - nice.
Thanks
On that note though, there are Mechanics included in the list of NPCs working on both stations. I can't remember if that occurred with the mod under earlier version of Rebirth. If it was done as a work-around for there being no NPCs on player-owned stations in the past, perhaps it isn't needed now.
I will review this and determine if I need to do anything or not.

Free Engineer on the Skunk
In the 4.10 beta, we only have "Goodbye" as a conversation option when talking to the free 5* Engineer on the Skunk (empire start). This means we can't assign them elsewhere if needed (not terrible though). On the other hand, if we ask another Engineer to work on the Skunk, the free Engineer still only has "Goodbye" as an option so probably cannot be removed.
I am removing the free Engineer that comes with the Skunk in this mod. This should correct the problem.

Home of Light DLC
It's 3 new systems have a connection to Maelstrom but it's in a different sector to this mod's connection so I presume they are compatible with each other.
Shouldn't pose any issues.

Free capitals in empire start
They typically have 999 units of fuel. Not sure if intentional or a side effect of something that changed in Rebirth at some point.
Thanks for pointing that out. Changing to full fuel.

Change to the vanilla OL system map
Alongside pirate capitals starting to collect wares from ships the destroy, a pirate station was added to Murky Skies (the analogue to Hidden Meanings in this mod). That station doesn't appear in the mod when I open it in 4.10, which makes sense (probably a naive thing to bother checking but I am not a modder so thought I might as well).
I will look into this and determine whether I should add the pirate station or not.
New Start menu and equipment
Support has been added for separation of info. For example, in the default game starts, things like location and starting ships are in their own boxes. Hart to describe - probably easiest to look at the vanilla game starts to see if the option is of interest. On a related note, SETA and a player ship jump drive are now in the game via crafting rare loot. Mentioning in case adding one or the other fits with the ethos of the mod's empire start.
Thanks for letting me know about the added start menu feature. Those will be incorporated.

For the Empire start, I will add jumpdrive and SETA at startup.

Thanks again.

Thufar
x4

Post by Thufar » Wed, 8. Mar 17, 21:50

Senner wrote:But make them look better.
Just curious, what does "look better" look like?

Regards,
Thu

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Wed, 8. Mar 17, 23:58

Mod updated for game version 4.10. Also works with previous versions. Savegame compatible.

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Thu, 9. Mar 17, 07:44

What happened with Transcend - No Highways. ?

Died? :)

If possible, put the text in the t folder, for translation. :P

( http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight= )

And the speed of flight in super highways in the game is increased, if it is possible to fix the speed in mod too.

===============

Moved text.

https://yadi.sk/d/q2HpOB0v3FNd8F
Last edited by alexalsp on Thu, 9. Mar 17, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Thu, 9. Mar 17, 16:41

Depending on how much time I have to put into this, the no-highways version may be revived. My main priority at this time, is to ensure that the highways version works with current game version.

Considering this was one of the very first Rebirth mods (if not the first) and it's been several years since I touched the game, I am surprised how few changes needed to be made. This is a testament to the XML patch method that the game uses.

Once I have some verification that the mod works without issues, I may take a few minutes to put the text in a t folder for translation.

Regarding the speed in super highways, this mod doesn't affect that at all. Therefore, no changes required.

Thanks.

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Thu, 9. Mar 17, 17:15

Without highways. The mod works, but there are some moments. Fighter without a jumping engine, do not fly into another sector / system.

This is what is missing, for a long time.

It was just a question. I use mod, with highways.

T-file I have already done)) Link above.

===============

Moved text.

Last edited by alexalsp on Thu, 9. Mar 17, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Thu, 9. Mar 17, 17:49

alexalsp wrote:Without highways....Fighter without a jumping engine, do not fly into another sector / system.
Yes, I am aware of that problem, and it is one of the reasons I decided to shelf the no-highways version until I can look into the issue further. I had hoped by now, that Egosoft would have fixed Fighters not being able to follow jump ships or even boost sufficiently to keep up when traveling between zones! As it stands, Fighters are virtually useless in general.
T-file I have already done)) Link above.
Thank you. :)

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Thu, 9. Mar 17, 18:08

updates / addet without HW t-file

=================
and see here - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =675166826

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Fri, 10. Mar 17, 04:08

@alexalsp: Thank you for your great job on putting together the localization files! I will include those in the next release; which I'm working on now.

Thanks.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sat, 11. Mar 17, 06:32

Since I'm taking the time to revisit this mod, I've decided to do some major code cleanup and also add a couple of additional gamestarts.

These changes, will obsolete the current mod and render it incompatible. I will keep the old (current) version on Steam Workshop, so that existing players won't be affected. The new version (when released) will have its own Workshop page, which will become the main mod file. Sorry if that's confusing.

Here is the pre-release for the new version (removed) in case anyone wants to try it. Note: Please make sure you disable any previous Transcend mod versions if running this new one.

@alexalsp: I've included your t files (modified) in the above version, but they are missing the Russian translation for the added gamestarts and minor changes in descriptions etc. If you have time, I would love it if you could update the translation and then I can include it in release. Thanks! :)

Description of Starts

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transcend Empire

The jumpgate connecting your homeworld to the rest of civilization has re-activated. You choose whether to stay at home and continue building your empire, or set out to explore the rest of the galaxy

Ships/Stations:

Stations:

E-Cell Fab Energy Array
Military High-Tech Weapon Complex

XL Ships:

1x Arawn (Carrier)
1x Taranis (Destroyer)
1x Olmekron (Destroyer)
1x Balor (Frigate)
1x Scaldis (Trade/Hauler)
1x Lyramekron (Hauler)
1x Lyranea (Freighter)
1x Titurel (Armed Freighter)

Large Ships:

1x Stromvok (Defense)
2x Sanahar (Container)
1x Vulture (Energy)
1x Vulture (Bulk)
1x Rahanas (Liquid)
1x Rahanas (Bulk)
1x Boann (Hydrogen)
1x Hermod (Bulk/Liquid)
1x Stromvok (Defense)
1x Midir (Ions)
1x Midir (Plasma)
1x Sequana (Ice)
1x Fedhelm (Ore)

Transcend Derelict

Raised in an isolated mining settlement, you have never travelled beyond your home zone. Finally, you have managed to patch together a unique derilict ship that your father found among the ruins of an asteroid

No additional ships or stations.

Transcend Transporter

Raised in an isolated mining settlement, you have never traveled beyond your home zone. One day, you received a note, stating that you have inherited a small fortune and a fleet of trading ships; waiting for you to take command of them in Far Reach Sector.

Ships

Large Ships:

1x Heavy Sul
1x Light Sul
1x Rahanas (Liquid)
1x Sanahar (Container)
1x Vulture (Bulk)
1x Vulture (Energy)
7x Stromvok (Defense)

Transcend Miner

You have always dreamed of traveling the galaxy, with you own mining fleet. Recently, you used most of your inheritance to purchase a group of ships at an auction and now you have arrived at their delivery location to take command of them.

Ships

Large Ships:

1x Boann (Hydrogen)
1x Hermod (Bulk/Liquid)
1x Sequana (Ice)
1x Vulture (Bulk)
1xVulture (Energy)
5x Stromvok (Defense)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above information will be added to the OP once this new version is released.

Thanks.
Last edited by Observe on Wed, 15. Mar 17, 03:59, edited 1 time in total.

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Sat, 11. Mar 17, 10:12

Upd rus Lng: https://yadi.sk/d/kUm1p7NQ3FWc83

Code: Select all

extensions\osr_transcend_starts_hw\maps\XU_ep1_universe\osr_zones.xml

<identification owner="smuggler" name="Hungry Ghosts" /> 

Code: Select all

<identification name="{800100,81}"  owner="smuggler" comment="Hungry Ghosts" />

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”