[After Campaign] Plutarch stations suddenly started attacking all my ships - Reputation dropped.

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

jacex3tc

[After Campaign] Plutarch stations suddenly started attacking all my ships - Reputation dropped.

Post by jacex3tc » Thu, 11. Aug 22, 20:48

Hi,

I've been playing the campaign. Been playing for a while now. Throughout the entire game I've been fighting with Plutarch. I was happy to find in this game that my non-military ships are left alone for the most part. That changed suddenly. Everyone started hailing me and getting destroyed very quickly and after a few reloads I realized it was the stations. What's worse, the AI seems to have no rules for fleeing from stations. They just get killed. Before this, ships guarding stations would attack me, but not my freighters, and the stations would not attack me. Now all my ships that get near a PMC station take heavy damage or get destroyed.

What triggered this?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: [After Campaign] Plutarch stations suddenly started attacking all my ships

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 11. Aug 22, 22:10

At a guess since you didn't say, your Plutarch rep may have dropped further.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

jacex3tc

Re: [After Campaign] Plutarch stations suddenly started attacking all my ships

Post by jacex3tc » Fri, 12. Aug 22, 05:45

Hey thanks very much, that was the answer.

https://www.egosoft.com:8444/confluence ... on+Effects

edit: https://www.egosoft.com:8444/confluence ... on+effects

I've been shooting at them the whole game and figured that I was as low with them as it was possible to go so I wasn't considering reputation. On several occasions I remember noticing my reputation with them was -24, -26. I did also attack a station not long before the incident where everything started hailing maydays.

When I was fighting them before/capping their stuff, I was doing it in DeVries so maybe reputation decay made this all work up to now. Or perhaps reputation is context-based? For example, maybe shooting combat ships isn't worth as much negative reputation effects or is capped to a certain limit/reduced or ignored at certain levels? Figthers<Freighters<Stations kind of thing. I also don't know anything about how Temporary Reputation works so perhaps that was affecting things.

Whatever the exact case, it must be reputation-related and somehow I've organically managed to be at -24 or below when it mattered.

Strangely though, while all of this does match up with my case, this is supposed to be the reputation system for X4. X Rebirth's says -18 and below for this scenario. Has X Rebirth been updated to X4's reputation system (or the reputation system they use now was created in an X Rebirth expansion)?

edit: Nope, wiki must be right, must be -18 for Rebirth. It seems instead that it has something to do with not being in the system. Perhaps after a reload/new session. Maybe CPU-saving measures.

editedit: Yeah I managed to get to -24 and they aren't shooting at me anymore so I dunno. I went through the game files but while I found some references to the reputation system I still don't have enough understanding to get my answer. Anyway, seems it might be closer to X4's reputation system by this point. In any case, I'm -24 and they've stopping shooting. Also, lemme just say that getting those -2 points was a slog. Killed some of my interest. It's been smooth sailing so far despite the obtuseness on some things but that rep grind is definitely a major flaw. [edit 3: see post below] Diplomatic Aid doesn't appear near enough. Will probably try to alter that at some point.

Anyway, thanks for the prompt helpful reply.

@Egosoft. Quite liking the game! I saw the launch. I've come to understand that some of the things I like most about the game were patched in later. Still, today I think this is a pretty respectable entry in the series and don't consider it crap at all.

edit for accuracy
Last edited by jacex3tc on Sun, 28. Aug 22, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.

jacex3tc

Re: [After Campaign] Plutarch stations suddenly started attacking all my ships - Reputation dropped.

Post by jacex3tc » Sun, 28. Aug 22, 17:19

I does returning, from the internet!

So I have something to report. So I was scanning a station's Scanning Array module. I done got caught.

Some time before, I had noticed that all stations had stopped hailing me when I defended them.

So back to the scan, when I got killed in the ROV and returned to the ship, suddenly I was getting an endless stream of hails from person after person, thanking me for defending their station. Went on for a while. A while.

After this, I checked my reputation with Plutarch and it was now +18. It went from -24 to +18.

I had not used the Beholder much because I didn't understand what it was exactly doing. I thought it was a different flavor of the Trojan. I used it for the first time to scan the DV shipyard, some little while back. It was around that time that I noticed I stopped getting hails. I got killed in the thing at that time also, but had no idea what was going on (specifically), so I save scummed (bless PC saving).

Do reloads flush absolutely everything? Perhaps something stays resident after the load? In any event, now there is a partial explanation for the awful rep grind. The gains I was making must have been purely coming from the "fixrep" pirate de-mine missions.

Enjoying X Rebirth.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: [After Campaign] Plutarch stations suddenly started attacking all my ships - Reputation dropped.

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 28. Aug 22, 18:23

Sometimes, perhaps when interrupted by an incoming mission or plot video comm, the whole message audio queue can get hung up. The hang up doesn't always clear until you reload or restart the game session at which point you get all the queued messages one after the other along with all the associated cash and rep rewards that come with the thanks messages.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

jacex3tc

Post by jacex3tc » Sun, 28. Aug 22, 21:05

Indeed but it's been a week or so now. Not just another session. So whatever it is, goes along in the save. I had dozens upon dozens of the things play. What triggered it was getting blown up in the ROV. I reloaded a save I had before the scan and did the scan successfully and no message reel, no station hails for attacking pirates. Reloaded the same save again, flew directly in front of the patrols, got blowed up, all played again, PMC rep skyrocket; everything I did when trying to fix my rep with them, and station hails once again fixed. So I thought I'd better mention it, especially if something to do with it has survived to the X4 codebase.

Gr33n303

Post by Gr33n303 » Wed, 27. Dec 23, 09:28

Thanks for the workaround! I thought I've had to start from scratch in my latest game because I was not able to improve my reputation by destroying enemy ships.
Also getting destroyed in the ROV was the only way to reset this condition for me. Selling the ROV or getting destroyed in the ship didn't unclog the message queue.
When I read that I had to get destroyed in a ROV, I thought well why not give it a try and hundreds of messages later I can resume playing with a positive faction standing :) .

Luke0086

Post by Luke0086 » Sat, 3. Feb 24, 02:58

Another workaround sometimes is if you change the radar mode (for me I have it mapped to shift+M), it frees up the queue and you get all your messages come through

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”