Joysticks with x rebirth

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

User avatar
Nosscar
Posts: 1182
Joined: Thu, 14. Feb 13, 13:59
x4

Post by Nosscar » Thu, 10. Mar 16, 10:41

johnthel wrote:Hi All,
Success. I bought the Full Version (4) plus Home of Light and copied Nosccars
files as detailed in this Forum. Sweet Joy.
Thank you for your detailed Help. :)
sweet, glad it worked for you, and now we know you can't bind your own profile in the demo.
Image
Asus Tuf A17 Ryzen 7 - 4800h, GTX 1660ti, 16mb ram, ssd drive. win 11.

Wavey
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed, 17. Mar 04, 23:11
xr

Post by Wavey » Sat, 19. Mar 16, 20:15

@Nosscar where do i put the pr0 file ? put the others in where they should be .Stick sort of works but not as it should
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

User avatar
Nosscar
Posts: 1182
Joined: Thu, 14. Feb 13, 13:59
x4

Post by Nosscar » Sun, 20. Mar 16, 02:11

Wavey wrote:@Nosscar where do i put the pr0 file ? put the others in where they should be .Stick sort of works but not as it should
that would be in your saitek software folder, where the profiles are kept, then load it into the stick.
Image
Asus Tuf A17 Ryzen 7 - 4800h, GTX 1660ti, 16mb ram, ssd drive. win 11.

Wavey
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed, 17. Mar 04, 23:11
xr

Post by Wavey » Sun, 20. Mar 16, 10:29

It wont recognise it ,does it need to be renamed .dat ?
Oh dear decided to reinstall drivers as they were out of date .
Uninstalled and deleted folder .New drivers start to install and asks to connect stick ,done. Then it never finishes installation

wow what a pain ,new drivers locked up pc ,found older ones on their ftp site which work and found where the SST puts my profiles ,under C:\Users\Public\Documents\SmartTechnology Profiles
Last edited by Wavey on Sun, 20. Mar 16, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

User avatar
BigBANGtheory
Posts: 2782
Joined: Sun, 23. Oct 05, 12:13
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Sun, 20. Mar 16, 12:15

I wish the Target Object setting actually was able to target any object under the HUD reticule. I find myself using the gamepad option for joysticks where it auto selects but if you turn the gamepad option off there doesn't seem to be a way to select or target objects like station surface element for docking without using a mouse. If you use manual targeting it also seems to break the auto target HUD behaviour which makes life fun for docking.

Why can't I just fly close to a docking port with it in my sights and hit the hotkey/setting to dock I don't understand why it has to be anymore complicated than that?

User avatar
Nosscar
Posts: 1182
Joined: Thu, 14. Feb 13, 13:59
x4

Post by Nosscar » Sun, 20. Mar 16, 13:34

Wavey wrote:It wont recognise it ,does it need to be renamed .dat ?
Oh dear decided to reinstall drivers as they were out of date .
Uninstalled and deleted folder .New drivers start to install and asks to connect stick ,done. Then it never finishes installation

wow what a pain ,new drivers locked up pc ,found older ones on their ftp site which work and found where the SST puts my profiles ,under C:\Users\Public\Documents\SmartTechnology Profiles
which windows are you using, i use windows 10, with the latest beta drivers, i don't have any problems at all.

Yes that folder sounds right, mine's the same path as yours. Once in there it should show up on the list of profiles in the system tray.
There is not much in that profile though, just the macro's, all the other controls are just set in the game. So you need to blank out all the other binds, (except keyboard ones) and then load the saitek input game file in game.
Also check your input for the saitek is the correct one. ie: when i had my edheadtracker in, my joystick showed as y input2 for example, not y imput.
Image
Asus Tuf A17 Ryzen 7 - 4800h, GTX 1660ti, 16mb ram, ssd drive. win 11.

GCU Grey Area
Posts: 6695
Joined: Sun, 15. Feb 04, 00:07
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sun, 20. Mar 16, 14:14

BigBANGtheory wrote:I wish the Target Object setting actually was able to target any object under the HUD reticule. I find myself using the gamepad option for joysticks where it auto selects but if you turn the gamepad option off there doesn't seem to be a way to select or target objects like station surface element for docking without using a mouse. If you use manual targeting it also seems to break the auto target HUD behaviour which makes life fun for docking.

Why can't I just fly close to a docking port with it in my sights and hit the hotkey/setting to dock I don't understand why it has to be anymore complicated than that?
Recommend finding a mechanic & installing Targeting System Extension mk2 if you want to be able to easily target subsystems such as docking ports, rather than having to rely on auto-targeting for this.

Wavey
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed, 17. Mar 04, 23:11
xr

Post by Wavey » Sun, 20. Mar 16, 14:38

Nosscar wrote:
Wavey wrote:It wont recognise it ,does it need to be renamed .dat ?
Oh dear decided to reinstall drivers as they were out of date .
Uninstalled and deleted folder .New drivers start to install and asks to connect stick ,done. Then it never finishes installation

wow what a pain ,new drivers locked up pc ,found older ones on their ftp site which work and found where the SST puts my profiles ,under C:\Users\Public\Documents\SmartTechnology Profiles
which windows are you using, i use windows 10, with the latest beta drivers, i don't have any problems at all.

Yes that folder sounds right, mine's the same path as yours. Once in there it should show up on the list of profiles in the system tray.
There is not much in that profile though, just the macro's, all the other controls are just set in the game. So you need to blank out all the other binds, (except keyboard ones) and then load the saitek input game file in game.
Also check your input for the saitek is the correct one. ie: when i had my edheadtracker in, my joystick showed as y input2 for example, not y imput.

Got it all working now 6.2.2.0 drivers and latest SST .Thanks for your configs and help :)
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

User avatar
BigBANGtheory
Posts: 2782
Joined: Sun, 23. Oct 05, 12:13
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Tue, 22. Mar 16, 11:22

GCU Grey Area wrote:
BigBANGtheory wrote:I wish the Target Object setting actually was able to target any object under the HUD reticule. I find myself using the gamepad option for joysticks where it auto selects but if you turn the gamepad option off there doesn't seem to be a way to select or target objects like station surface element for docking without using a mouse. If you use manual targeting it also seems to break the auto target HUD behaviour which makes life fun for docking.

Why can't I just fly close to a docking port with it in my sights and hit the hotkey/setting to dock I don't understand why it has to be anymore complicated than that?
Recommend finding a mechanic & installing Targeting System Extension mk2 if you want to be able to easily target subsystems such as docking ports, rather than having to rely on auto-targeting for this.
I tried that and it sort of worked then it didn't and then HUD menus started opening in strange places all over the screen. I think I found a bug related to cockpits/HUD/targeting.

What isn't helping is not knowing the expected result of all the controller settings, Targeting Extension Upgrades along with the behaviour of manual targeting combined with gamepad mode.

User avatar
Lander1979
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon, 4. Aug 14, 05:18
x4

Post by Lander1979 » Tue, 22. Mar 16, 12:15

I got around the targeting issue by setting up my right hand flightstick to emulate mouse x/y inputs and mapping the trigger and thumb buttons to the mouse button inputs and space bar.
0101...0011...0011...0101...2!

birdtable
Posts: 1729
Joined: Sat, 7. Feb 04, 21:42
x4

Post by birdtable » Tue, 22. Mar 16, 14:04

Targeting with a HOTAS/Joystick is a nightmare ... Enemy Fighters, surface elements or whatever .... The definition of Very Hard for gameplay should be only use a joystick.
Targeting software Mk 2 is a joke.... Only a lmb and rmb on a mouse is effective .....I have to continually stop with the joystick switch to mouse and keyboard for surface elements ... and for anyone to say you just need targeting software mk2 then I suggest they fly up behind a fleeing ship and target individual engines ... target everything but the engine....whereas with a mouse lmb click "engine" rmb click destroyed plus no need to move ship, just park/slipstream safe and click away.....

GCU Grey Area
Posts: 6695
Joined: Sun, 15. Feb 04, 00:07
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Tue, 22. Mar 16, 14:37

birdtable wrote:Targeting with a HOTAS/Joystick is a nightmare ... Enemy Fighters, surface elements or whatever .... The definition of Very Hard for gameplay should be only use a joystick.
Targeting software Mk 2 is a joke.... Only a lmb and rmb on a mouse is effective .....I have to continually stop with the joystick switch to mouse and keyboard for surface elements ... and for anyone to say you just need targeting software mk2 then I suggest they fly up behind a fleeing ship and target individual engines ... target everything but the engine....whereas with a mouse lmb click "engine" rmb click destroyed plus no need to move ship, just park/slipstream safe and click away.....
I play XR primarily with a joystick (Saitek Cyborg 3D) & have absolutely no issues with targeting. Certainly never need to use the mouse for that, which I generally only use when walking around stations (FPS style gameplay with a joystick just feels weird). What sort of joystick are you using? Are you sure it's configured correctly? I'm experiencing none of the issues you write about with respect to targeting individual engines, etc.

birdtable
Posts: 1729
Joined: Sat, 7. Feb 04, 21:42
x4

Post by birdtable » Tue, 22. Mar 16, 15:44

Once again ... No comment.

User avatar
Lander1979
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon, 4. Aug 14, 05:18
x4

Post by Lander1979 » Tue, 22. Mar 16, 16:51

Thats why I love my T16000M's and Thrustmasters TARGET software. I can pretty much map any control or script any macro I want to the flightstick. If I want to get really creative and customize it to the max, I can script the whole profile in a C++ like environment which gives me total control of every detail.

Even with default settings in the TARGET software, my T16000M Thrustmaster Flightsticks give exceptional control when emulating the mouse(and so they should with a touted 16,000 DPI resolution).

While I was at it I also scripted in a weapons safety button that prevents my itchy trigger fingers from accidentally spamming guns and missiles at friendly stations.

I particularly enjoy using the left flightsticks twist axis as the throttle (with the left trigger as boost) which functions much like a motorbike (it reminds me of the Lensman Cycroader).
0101...0011...0011...0101...2!

User avatar
BigBANGtheory
Posts: 2782
Joined: Sun, 23. Oct 05, 12:13
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Wed, 23. Mar 16, 00:37

There seems to be an issue relating to range when trying to target a station docking area, if you are really close it won't auto select (gamepad mode) or manual select target object. However if you are say 3-4km away it works :? Anyone else get this?

Post Reply

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”